ADVERTISEMENT

Because I dont care anymore , Do you think it's possible Cal sabotaged this year's March run ? And some of the season .

ManitouDan

All-American
Dec 7, 2006
By refusal to start Dilly and or Reed . It doesnt take a grade schoolers coaching experience to see Dilly was best guard . Yeah Reed had serious stats , but Dilly was the game changer . If he didnt feel the need to-lay like Superman and rescue us constantly maybe he plays even better and smarter ? And this decision , this tweak to start Tre in the round of 64 , how does any staff with a functioning brain and.. AND will to win go that route . We know they are going to zone . We know Tre is 0-17 I believe on his previous 3 attempts , we know Justin and DJ are totally 100% unreliable shooting the J , so we run that out there ? I'm giving Cal credit here that maybe isnt deserved .. YOU CANT BE THAT STUPID !! I hate .. hate dragging up the " all I Want is my kids to get drafted " paraphrase but thats exactly whats gonna happen. Reed and Dilly can cash in , DJ can go pro in the G league , Justin can D league it . He protected those guys even though we all knew it was costing us wins . Maybe someone needs to say it out loud. Guy is intentionally trashing us . It doesnt " HIS" players .But it kills BBN . And what do you honestly think his view towards BBN is ? Fire away IDK.

34 out of 35 most efficient line up started the final game.

On purpose or incompetence, same result.
I truly feel you cant be that incompetent . Seriously , how many minutes did the trio of the R's play together .. it cant be dug up . I cant do it . How many min the combo of the R's plus Adou and either Tre or Z play together . Heck IMO rolling with a OVC type starter ( Lance Ware 2.0) in Ugo was near as big crime as not starting Reed and or Rob . Ugo doesnt have the God given talent too succeed at the level of a Sweet 16 or EE , let alone a FF . And you play him most of the year with DJ and Justin out there ? you cant be that incompetent .

He was doing that when we won 7 of 8 as well I assume. Guess the sec being overrated played a role in that 7 of 8 as well.
Always remember two things can be true at the same time you can win some games and accomplish your goal. If your goal is playing certain lineup about the other lineups the final score is an afterthought.

This post is really giving off tin foil hat vibes.
Kinda figured this would come . Guys like you are trolls from other teams or hypnotized by Cals past success . But foolish none the less .. maybe we agree he’s been a terrible coach for 4-5 years but you can’t say it’s sabotaging when he picks individuals over the team - whatever - you are dumb poster . No hoops IQ at all

Last edited:
Reactions: 2StepShep
The same glaring lack of game preparation, strategy. or adjustments that I saw in the first SEC tournament game, Oakland, K state, and St Peter's suggests to me that he is trying to get home as soon as possible. What's the saying? 'Failure to plan is planning to fail' or something like that? So yeah, it appears to me that he is deliberately trying to lose those games by not doing his job. I mean how can a "Hall of fame" coach not teach a team basic defensive fundamentals throughout a whole season? It is laziness, neglect, or maliciously done? I don't know, but either way that is a coach who has to be removed. This is a hostage situation of Mitch's creation and enabling.

Not blaming him, but we got worse after Bradshaw got healthy. It was like a totally different team.
His goofy faces and cutting up when we were down, bothered me. I don't know that I EVER saw him getting upset for the way the team was playing, or fighting for his team. He was just out there getting his, going through the motions. And he'll likely bolt if another team comes calling for him.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
we are stuck with an old, washed up coach who is resting on his accomplishments that are a decade plus old. The staff is too lazy to watch film and put together a good plan. Hell, we had people on here saying that guy is going jack up 3s and might get hot. It’s a failure from top to bottom, and we’re stuck with the top part for another year.

Suggestions that Cal wants to purposely lose is silly. Suggestions that he is stubborn, plays favorites, is a lousy in game coach is accurate.
Yeah I know sabotage is a really strong word , but Cal's failures this season faaaaar outdo those of his 9-16 season. I get the stubbornness , it's towards the fans ( bennies) and the playing favorites , and refusal to run OOB plays for years , and his refusal to zone up on OOB plays , and his lack of using timeouts etc etc .. etc and etc .. at what point is putting himself and his roster above winning more than just general ineptitude ? It's that ugly IMO. He doesnt necessarily want to lose , but he's going to put other priorities in front of the final score .. call it what you want , to me , its sabotage

I don’t think he’s losing on purpose. That’s taking things too far.

I do think that he means what he says when he talks about his calling being to help certain players achieve their individual goals, and that he’s not particularly bothered by losing big games as long as he gets kids drafted. It’s why he keeps giving heavy minutes and starts to struggling 5 stars in the hopes of “getting them going”, but benches players with lower projections for one mistake in a lot of cases. It’s also why most of us including myself are fed up with him. Putting individuals over the team’s success is unacceptable for a coach.

I am done trying to understand the "why". Starting not to care. I just want to focus on results and they are NOT there. An E8 or Final 4 and I would have said at least we are going in the right direction and I would not feel like a potentially good team was squandered. On paper, this squad should have gone deep and they only needed average defense to do it. How Cal could not manage to get this group to that level is puzzling for sure. I don't think it was willful. I do think he has lot of steps and his staff is not picking up the slack. If he is going to stay coach then he needs to bring in someone that can take total control of the defense and the get out of the way.

I don’t think he’s losing on purpose. That’s taking things too far.

I do think that he means what he says when he talks about his calling being to help certain players achieve their individual goals, and that he’s not particularly bothered by losing big games as long as he gets kids drafted. It’s why he keeps giving heavy minutes and starts to struggling 5 stars in the hopes of “getting them going”, but benches players with lower projections for one mistake in a lot of cases. It’s also why most of us including myself are fed up with him. Putting individuals over the team’s success is unacceptable for a coach.
It’s got to be hard to type that out , and not say he doesn’t care if we lose . That’s sabotage . When you don’t care to play your best players because you have other interest ? How far will we continue to bend reality to provide cover for him ?

It’s got to be hard to type that out , and not say he doesn’t care if we lose . That’s sabotage . When you don’t care to play your best players because you have other interest ? How far will we continue to bend reality to provide cover for him ?
To be honest, I think we’re splitting hairs over what constitutes “sabotage” more than we actually disagree. To me, that would technically be losing intentionally. If you’re defining it as putting other interests ahead of winning games, then yes, he’s definitely doing that and it’s unacceptable.

Reactions: ManitouDan
By refusal to start Dilly and or Reed . It doesnt take a grade schoolers coaching experience to see Dilly was best guard . Yeah Reed had serious stats , but Dilly was the game changer . If he didnt feel the need to-lay like Superman and rescue us constantly maybe he plays even better and smarter ? And this decision , this tweak to start Tre in the round of 64 , how does any staff with a functioning brain and.. AND will to win go that route . We know they are going to zone . We know Tre is 0-17 I believe on his previous 3 attempts , we know Justin and DJ are totally 100% unreliable shooting the J , so we run that out there ? I'm giving Cal credit here that maybe isnt deserved .. YOU CANT BE THAT STUPID !! I hate .. hate dragging up the " all I Want is my kids to get drafted " paraphrase but thats exactly whats gonna happen. Reed and Dilly can cash in , DJ can go pro in the G league , Justin can D league it . He protected those guys even though we all knew it was costing us wins . Maybe someone needs to say it out loud. Guy is intentionally trashing us . It doesnt " HIS" players .But it kills BBN . And what do you honestly think his view towards BBN is ? Fire away IDK.
There was a post about this about Cal’a interview where he said he put in Wagner and Mitchell because he was afraid of them tanking (in the draft, I’m guessing.) Sounds to me like an admission he puts players draft potential over winning, hence why the 3 Rs did not start in the NCAA.

Kinda figured this would come . Guys like you are trolls from other teams or hypnotized by Cals past success . But foolish none the less .. maybe we agree he’s been a terrible coach for 4-5 years but you can’t say it’s sabotaging when he picks individuals over the team - whatever - you are dumb poster . No hoops IQ at all

Ayy bruh, no need to get mad at me cuz of your ridiculous juvenile message board temper tantrum.

Your proof is, Rob and Reed should’ve played more.

They played enough. Just like they have all season. Enough to warrant draft buzz. They played like ass vs Oakland. That’s the problem.

No, he didn't sabotage anything, he's just stubborn. He wants to win, but wants to win his way, it's as simple as that. The numbers say one thing, he decides another.

Additionally, he and his staff are extremely lazy and no one is scouting teams or running the metrics, and he has to balance the Klutch player pipeline. There's like 72 different angles in play but unfortunately the one that doesn't take priority is winning college games...

There was a post about this about Cal’a interview where he said he put in Wagner and Mitchell because he was afraid of them tanking (in the draft, I’m guessing.) Sounds to me like an admission he puts players draft potential over winning, hence why the 3 Rs did not start in the NCAA.
He said that on his radio show Monday night (it was Edwards not Mitchell). That was very troubling to me and what we’d thought all along. And, tells me it will be the same next year with new arrivals. Not good.

I don't think Calipari intentionally sabotaged the game, no. He just didn't care enough about winning to prioritize it. Winning games is fairly low on Cal's list of priorities, after all. Winning comes somewhere below keeping promises and proving how smart he is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT