ADVERTISEMENT

Wow this is analytics to another level …Cal getting serious about improved shooting

I personally like it. The real time feedback is the most important part IMO. If you watch a few videos online of people using it I think it makes more sense how it helps build muscle memory for trying to hit an angle of depression between 43-47% on your shot. I thought it was interesting too where I read that 91% of NBA players consistently have that angle on their shots and only 8% of high school players do.

I think the bigger point is that we’re getting to the point where machine learning and machine vision are getting so good that we’ll see more and more usage in sports. I think it could work really well for certain situations, ESPECIALLY the dreaded charge/block call. Accelerometers are already ubiquitous in phones and cars. Put them in the players’ shoes and combine them with machine vision and train it on millions of hours of video.
Great post. You make a lot of sense. I'm glad to see that the program is utilizing this technology ... hope it helps! BTW ... "Taxi Driver" is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Reactions: travisbickle
How did guys like Larry Bird ever shoot the ball so well before analytics software? LOL!
There is such a thing as over-thinking the problem.
Give me an old school coach who can help a kid with his physical mechanics...getting feet and hips set/square to the basket, good lift and straight back, bent elbow and a snap follow through...along with helping him get to a good place mentally with his shot. When mechanics are good and you have the proper mental focus, it then comes down to repetition and muscle memory.
Shooting the ball should be second nature, not a "event".
It's not an instant lifelong fix. IT IS A TOOL! But a useful tool.
It allows a player to see it. You learn from hearing it, AND feeling it (physical sense, not emotional sense) AND from seeing it.
Your analogy is stupid. That's like saying Jack Nicholas didn't need high tech drivers to be the best golfer in the world, so today's players shouldn't need that either.
YES, you are right that you need to be taught the proper mechanics. But you can alter those just a tiny smidge and miss your shot. So having a tool to assist you to see when you are off, and more importantly why you are off, can help a lot!

Wow, I could've been the greatest guitar player ever if I had a computer to give me instant feedback every time a made a mistake or got off track. Pitch, scale, mood, tone...can you imagine...so much better than all the silly repetition and useless practice I did as a kid to master my craft.

signed Jimi Hendrix

And for those that haven’t looked at any of the video behind what this is, it’s just a very detailed shot tracker. It has nothing to do with the players’ mechanics.

If the system tells you that you took 500 shots and that you miss left and long from the right corner x% of the time, then it’s up to the player and coach to adjust mechanics, feet placement, body alignment, etc. It can also give you data that says “put player x at the left elbow from 15’ and their accuracy goes up 20%”. Just more data but it’s still up to a human to apply the data.

Again, watching a few videos I can see that the machine announcing the angle of flight of the ball as it nears the rim can help build muscle memory. If you know that you get it to announce the right angle when you bend your knees just slightly more, you’ll start bending your knees more to get the feedback you desire. Basic operant conditioning.

Also hard when they don’t practice shooting and too busy practicing dunking styles. Watching players shoot 50% from the free throw line is laughable. If a kid can’t shoot by the time he’s reached college age basketball he’s just never going to be a shooter no matter what he goes through. Slight improvement perhaps but one isn’t going from a 25% 3 point% to 40% because of analytics.
How many times have you yelled at the clouds today?

Wow, I could've been the greatest guitar player ever if I had a computer to give me instant feedback every time a made a mistake or got off track. Pitch, scale, mood, tone...can you imagine...so much better than all the silly repetition and useless practice I did as a kid to master my craft.

signed Jimi Hendrix
Hendrix was also an innovator who used the best tech in music at the time and redefined what rock guitar could sound like. He also of course practiced his ass off.

I hope UK basketball is using tech and good old fashioned repetition to become better shooters. Doesn’t have to be an either/or thing IMO.

signed Jimi Hendrix
The repetitions matter.

But if you're persistently missing due to the same factors--you can work on your repetitions with those things in mind.

Why would you not use tech to analyze why you miss--and in turn clean up your shot.

Is the data collected proprietary to the company, the team, or the player? Just a thought since data is so valuable these days.

Yeah, I get that the negativity against Cal is exhausting, but Cal has brought that upon himself and he doesn't seem to care how we feel.

But my point stands about CJ. He wasn't injured the entire season, but his shooting sucked drom begging to end. It can't all be blamed on injuries.
Yes, it can be blamed on CJ. He was in a funk shooting-wise and never got out of it.

Yeah, I get that the negativity against Cal is exhausting, but Cal has brought that upon himself and he doesn't seem to care how we feel.

But my point stands about CJ. He wasn't injured the entire season, but his shooting sucked drom begging to end. It can't all be blamed on injuries.
Guys.

Even though it is exhausting blaming every little thing on Cal (as he admits above), @kyjeff1 has to keep doing it because Cal has brought it on himself (see his post above).

He doesn't want to, but he doesn't have a choice he literally has to. Turning every little thing both negative and positive back on Cal is a hard job, but somebody has to do it and @kyjeff1 is the man for that job.

Thank you for your service @kyjeff1

This is true. It is like hitters in baseball. Some hitters are simply better than others. Shooting improvement can happen, of course, but rarely is it ever drastic.
Maybe these analytics aren't being used as a basis to improve shooting which could be a secondary benefit. It is possible these analytics are being used to determine what type of shots the players need to take to be most effective. Maybe they are being used to determine that while DJ can hit a 3 pointer his most effective shot is a pull up at the elbow or something like that. These analytics can be used for multiple reasons.

How did guys like Larry Bird ever shoot the ball so well before analytics software? LOL!
There is such a thing as over-thinking the problem.
Give me an old school coach who can help a kid with his physical mechanics...getting feet and hips set/square to the basket, good lift and straight back, bent elbow and a snap follow through...along with helping him get to a good place mentally with his shot. When mechanics are good and you have the proper mental focus, it then comes down to repetition and muscle memory.
Shooting the ball should be second nature, not a "event".
simple he was taught at a young age how to shoot
a lot of players today have to be retaught

This would be an example of Cal silently capitulating. He is stubborn as a mule, but this is a sign he knows we need to focus on some things a bit more. This is expensive technology (about 10k for system and install on both baskets) and we have used it minimally. Maybe he said to Welch to take the offense and run.

I’m hard on Cal but will give him some kudos if he relinquished some control.

Do the analytics include methods used, frequency of attempts, and success rates at setting up and getting players open for shots first? Asking for a friend.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
It's not an instant lifelong fix. IT IS A TOOL! But a useful tool.
It allows a player to see it. You learn from hearing it, AND feeling it (physical sense, not emotional sense) AND from seeing it.
Your analogy is stupid. That's like saying Jack Nicholas didn't need high tech drivers to be the best golfer in the world, so today's players shouldn't need that either.
YES, you are right that you need to be taught the proper mechanics. But you can alter those just a tiny smidge and miss your shot. So having a tool to assist you to see when you are off, and more importantly why you are off, can help a lot!
Obviously my analogy isn't stupid or we wouldn't all know who Jack Nicholas is.
What I am saying is analytical software isn't going to fix anything a good shooting coach can't. True shooters aren't stupid. Most know when the ball leaves their hand whether it is correct or not. The real trick is to repeat the correct form and mechanical motion again and again.
If I am on the court and thinking about where my elbow is or my feet are every time I go up for a shot...I can promise you, my percentage is going to suffer.

Shooting is hrd for some when you are shooting it the wrong way. Using analytics to show what you are doing wrong so that you can practice shooting it more effectively is how you improve your shot. Shooting 1000 shots the wrong way will not make you a better shooter...
Wayne Turner said all that talk about form and proper procedure is bullshit. As for me I'm glad we got this big ol' machine out of it, though. I wonder if we can take it on the road with us to Rupp and road games. Then if we miss a last second shot everyone can cuss the machine out.

Reactions: DSGTCAT28
Depends. If it nitpicks every form that isn't perfect, yeah I could see that. If it just points out major flaws in the shooting form and the player can correct and start practicing reps with the different form it could help a lot.
I am not negative on new tech and hope it produces results. From my experience with change, acceptance depends solely on the individual.

Of course, through practice and repetition as they spend more time practicing their craft. Sorry but not buying into the computer analytics garbage either way. You don’t need a computer to tell you why you missed a shot. It’s also not going to tell you how wrong or correct your shooting form is. Certainly can help with release points but do you really need a computer to tell you that your release point was too low? It’s amazing anyone was ever able to effectively play any sport before computer analytics came along (smh).
Again, many schools are starting to use this and so are pro teams.

The technology exists, why not use it? This is the kind of stuff some folks were complaining about. We were using resources and being competitive with what was available. Just because you didn't learn that way doesn't mean its bad or wrong.

Hell, let's go back to abacuses and pencils next. I'm sure that will keep us competitive with math and computer science.

The worst sentence for society is "Well, because that's the way we've always done it!"

signed Jimi Hendrix
Some of you are acting like this thing is doing the shooting for them.

It's. A. Tool. Nothing more, and nothing less. Many pro teams are utilizing it. Other schools have been utiliizing it as well.

"We want UK to be competitive; we're tired about hearing about facilities and equipment!"

UK makes updates to equipment to be more competitive:
7r0rzs.jpg

This would be an example of Cal silently capitulating. He is stubborn as a mule, but this is a sign he knows we need to focus on some things a bit more. This is expensive technology (about 10k for system and install on both baskets) and we have used it minimally. Maybe he said to Welch to take the offense and run.

I’m hard on Cal but will give him some kudos if he relinquished some control.
20k for a program like UK is nothing.

I too hope that Welch is going to be handling the offense.

Guys.

Even though it is exhausting blaming every little thing on Cal (as he admits above), @kyjeff1 has to keep doing it because Cal has brought it on himself (see his post above).

He doesn't want to, but he doesn't have a choice he literally has to. Turning every little thing both negative and positive back on Cal is a hard job, but somebody has to do it and @kyjeff1 is the man for that job.

Thank you for your service @kyjeff1
Hey, it's not my fault you’re oblivious to what's happening right in front of you.

Has Cal even attempted to fix his relationship with the fans? He calls us out in every press conference he actually decides to do, but then disappears after every loss and barks at the fans. Are we supposed to be cool with that?

So, do I get the same call out when I start threads praising Cal for the outstanding game planning and game management he orchestrated? Or am I only renting space in your head when I call out your hero for destroying the program?

Again, many schools are starting to use this and so are pro teams.

The technology exists, why not use it? This is the kind of stuff some folks were complaining about. We were using resources and being competitive with what was available. Just because you didn't learn that way doesn't mean its bad or wrong.

Hell, let's go back to abacuses and pencils next. I'm sure that will keep us competitive with math and computer science.

The worst sentence for society is "Well, because that's the way we've always done it!"
Good for all those that find this useful. I personally don’t think it would be for me. And I question how useful the tool really is. It’s ok for different people to have different opinions on the subject.

Good for all those that find this useful. I personally don’t think it would be for me. And I question how useful the tool really is. It’s ok for different people to have different opinions on the subject.
Yes, of course. But in my line of work, there is a lot of prejudice against technology. Just because it's new or different doesn't mean its bad or worse.

Reactions: thedahc and track42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT