ADVERTISEMENT

So Tired Of Cal Saying “WE HAVE THE YOUNGEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY” This is of Cal’s CHOOSING!!

shadowman4

Junior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2002
Cal can’t have it both ways as he does not seem to value 4 and 5 year players but chooses to bring in 5 and 6 freshman every year that makes for inexperience come tournament time. Yesterday Our freshman looked like they had a deer in the headlights look, with no ability to guard even a fence post.

Despite Cal saying he never promises playing time we know this is total bullshit. Why he continues to start Wagner and Edwards is mind boggling while leaving our top 2 top 10 draft picks languishing on the bench only to have UK continually fall behind at the start of most games. It is clear Cal did promise Wagner and Edwards would start if they came to UK.

Trust me when we get bounced early in the tournament this will be the conversation people have. “Why didn’t he start his best lineup?”. IMO I think he doesn’t want to hurt the players feelings and he probably feels like he owes something to Wagners dad. But at this point who cares about their feelings, play the best people and let’s try to make a run.

Agree. Been saying that for years. He created OAD culture at UK. Your can’t complain about it because you started it!!!! Unbelievable!!

Yes and when we get to the SEC tournament, the men on other teams take over, this happens time and time again. If we had of been playing Mississippi State, it would have been the same way. Their bigger meaner veterans would push us around like rag dolls, we are not built for March. This is the first SEC tournament for 6 of our top 8 players and this happens every year. Cals current philosophy does not apply to college basketball now, veterans are beating talent and have been most of the time.

Just like when Cal refuses to have his team foul when up by 3. The statistics clearly show that fouling late in the game when up by 3 is definitely the way to go. Cal is too stubborn for his and UKs own good. If Cal was fired as of today that would not be soon enough!

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
My concern is with all the freshman Cal has coming in next yesr. with obvious promised playing time yet again, what upper class portal players would even consider coming to UK next year.?
This “ We Have The Youngest Team In The Country” bullshit is getting old.

Who would UK possibly have coming back next year to play for our clown of a coach?

I agree 100%. I am tired of being so young, as it has become increasingly difficult to compete against older players with inexperience. Having said that, with large numbers of players leaving now for NBA, NIL$$$, playing time, moving up in competition level, etc..., how do you recruit for next year, especially when you may not even be sure who will say they'll return and actually do so. You have to recruit your entire roaster every year, it seems.

1) Do you recruit Freshmen?
2) If you do, do you shy away from the best because they may go pro or leave after a year?
3) Do you primarily rely on the portal?
4) How do you get existing players to stay for another year, if they can find greener pastures?

I can ask the questions, but I certainly do not have the answers. Coaches, who make MILLION$$$, are now all complaining about how difficult it is to run a program. This is just the new reality we're in.

Lastly, do most kids (certainly not ALL) nowadays even really CARE about winning basketball games ... or is it simply all about getting as much as they can ?? To me, it is definitely clear that many do not care anywhere near as much as the fans do !!!

Cal can’t have it both ways as he does not seem to value 4 and 5 year players but chooses to bring in 5 and 6 freshman every year that makes for inexperience come tournament time. Yesterday Our freshman looked like they had a deer in the headlights look, with no ability to guard even a fence post.

Despite Cal saying he never promises playing time we know this is total bullshit. Why he continues to start Wagner and Edwards is mind boggling while leaving our top 2 top 10 draft picks languishing on the bench only to have UK continually fall behind at the start of most games. It is clear Cal did promise Wagner and Edwards would start if they came to UK.
Built in excuse. Besides it doesn't hold water by March these freshmen are now sophomores.

UK is only about 3 months younger than Duke and less than a year younger than Houston.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT