ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Twitter so positive compared to this board?

I'm not sure how many of you are twitter users, but I am and I follow like 99% UK related stuff.

Twitter is just overwhelmingly positive most of the time. Sure, they get negative when we lose. But very soon after it's on to "don't give up" "we need this next game, season is not over" "Remember the 2014 run?"

So many people are just overjoyed with the win last night. Sure, I am happy with any win but this season has been a disaster overall.

I lose followers when I call for Cal's head on Twitter.

And then on this board, and it's mainly a negative tone. I personally side more with the sentiments of this board than Twitter to be honest. However, to a degree, both represent this fan base; and both are on complete different sides of the spectrum. Twitter is way too positive, and this board can be way too negative. Am I the only one who notices this?

It's like two different worlds.

Twitter is a younger audience. All they have known is Calipari and feel more personal attachment to him. That younger audience also sometimes groups together some of the criticism of Calipari in with a sort of old vs young culture war that is sometimes alluded to. But there's plenty of pessimism on Twitter, too.

Reactions: IndyCat1995
I was just going to post about what I see on Facebook which is quite different from what you say. I follow a number of UK sites on FB and they are mostly positive towards UK and Cal. Whenever I post something on any of the FB sites that might be negative towards Cal I get quite a few attacks against what I say. Like I said, I'm on many of the UK sites there and just don't see how you say they are quite fed up with Cal. Hasn't been my experience.

Spot on and many on Twitter and FB aren’t young like the LOD wannabes here want you to believe. I’m on neither as social media is ugly but I do see some tweets. I said the same thing you did last night and they came rushing in as they want to believe that the majority of the fanbase is seething hours every day. LOL at the Legion of dorks.

Reactions: ORCAT
Spot on and many on Twitter and FB aren’t young like the LOD wannabes here want you to believe. I’m on neither as social media is ugly but I do see some tweets. I said the same thing you did last night and they came rushing in as they want to believe that the majority of the fanbase is seething hours every day. LOL at the Legion of dorks.

You know you’re on social media. Why lie about it? Does it make you feel better about yourself to act like you’re above it somehow?

Reactions: bookerfan66
I was just going to post about what I see on Facebook which is quite different from what you say. I follow a number of UK sites on FB and they are mostly positive towards UK and Cal. Whenever I post something on any of the FB sites that might be negative towards Cal I get quite a few attacks against what I say. Like I said, I'm on many of the UK sites there and just don't see how you say they are quite fed up with Cal. Hasn't been my experience.
The UK sites don’t post negative. It’s the fan’s comments that are mostly negative. Go look at Cal’s last Twitter post. Only 2 fan’s commented HBD. 13 commented hit the road. That’s over a 6 to 1 ratio of negative over positive.

And outside of social media. Work, friends, gym I don’t know of a single person that supports Cal anymore. Some were diehard Cal supporters before but have now flipped.

You all overthink this shit. When UK loses, fans don’t like it. When UK wins, they do. If we had a 5 game winning streak this thread wouldn’t exist despite exact same probability of success in future seasons.

I think this board is more vested in looking at support of a basketball coach like some sort of fan democracy. I don’t even know why you care if people “support” the coach. Makes your position look weak.
this context isn't so much about supporting the coach as it is the level of interest, the post Calipari modern fan versus the people who lived thru delayed telecasts on the Jefferson Pilot network or Cawood Ledford telling fans the cats are running to the left side of your dial.

There is a difference - it can be seen in the arguments, attendance and expectations

I have observed a trend on this board as well. When we are getting smacked around by Gonzaga, Bama, Mizz, Arkansas, etc.
The Cal supporters disappear.
When we win a game over lowly Ole Miss or Miss St they come out like UK BB has returned to great prominence.
That’s the biggest difference between the two groups.
Seems the ones no longer supporting Cal realize our program is being flushed down the drain.
The Cal supporters puff their chests after we beat bad teams.

Makes you wonder if Cow and his moles are real on here. When we lose Cow bolts from the post game radio and goes into hiding.
We beat a bad team and Cow is puffing his chest again.

Last edited:
The UK sites don’t post negative. It’s the fan’s comments that are mostly negative. Go look at Cal’s last Twitter post. Only 2 fan’s commented HBD. 13 commented hit the road. That’s over a 6 to 1 ratio of negative over positive.

And outside of social media. Work, friends, gym I don’t know of a single person that supports Cal anymore. Some were diehard Cal supporters before but have now flipped.

Not exactly true. As I said I've been bombarded by supporters anytime I've said something closely negative about Cal or saying our team isn't all that great this year. I was referring to comments sections, not the original post. I still see more positive than negative comments on most of the UK FB pages I follow and that's quite a few so I'm not just talking about one pro Cal page at all.

To answer the OP, after the derailment, it's group think syndrome.

Anything somewhat positive here is met with 500 posts, most by the same person when he's not banned, telling them they aren't fans because they don't agree with him 100%. Then all they like minded say the same thing over and over. Different opinion but same thing I would think on social media, don't have any accounts to see for myself.

Any posts about game ideas or potential wins, players, rotations, are instantly met with "except Cal is out coach"

Most mid-level folks have left. You got the nut job pumpers/trolls just keeping everyone else stirred up.

Then you got folks like me who are die-hard fans despite anyone else's opinions, who ain't getting on social media, and don't care to hunt down any other boards. We read it all with a grain of salt and a smile.

Separation syndrome or me vs you syndrome plays a big part too. It's ingrained in us by the media all the time. You are Republican or Democrat, pro-BLM or racist, Pro-Life or Pro-death, Cal fan or Cal Hater. Most of us don't do well with the in betweens.

I can root for UK and be happy we beat MSU and hopefully make the tournament and also be ready for Cal to leave and unhappy with this season. They are not mutually exclusive.

Angry old men? No, it’s actually the same usernames and trolls that destroy every single thread.
Dude you have a picture of the dude from lonesome dove on your profile. Same name too. I think it’s safe to say you fit the old man category. Not sure how angry you are yet

Let me push back on that a bit gromcat. You don't have to be ultra positive about the direction of the program, Calipari, or even this season but you can still interact with people in a more positive way. I can "allow" someone to try to keep a positive attitude or talk about needing to win an upcoming game or hoping to make the NCAA-T without slamming their positivity and calling them an idiot for having hope. That's where this board could stand some positivity. That's my opinion and I'm not likely to apologize either. We could agree to disagree, but you'd have to be willing to be agreeable to do that. 😀
Nobody on this board, or Twitter should have to tolerate this Grom jackass. Nobody would put up with him in real life, which is why he lives on here. Allowing no opinions but his own, bouncing from thread to thread telling people how dumb they are for having an opinion different than his. He makes this place unbearable for anyone but the most negative posters. People absolutely don't post on here just avoid his inevitable know it all insults. Ridiculous

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Nobody on this board, or Twitter should have to tolerate this Grom jackass. Nobody would put up with him in real life, which is why he lives on here. Allowing no opinions but his own, bouncing from thread to thread telling people how dumb they are for having an opinion different than his. He makes this place unbearable for anyone but the most negative posters. People absolutely don't post on here just avoid his inevitable know it all insults. Ridiculous
If I were you I’d put him on ignore if he bothers you that bad.

Reactions: bbncal02
Don’t forget, we are all just McDonald’s workers according to him.

Reactions: ftp000
100% right . It’s like twitter is watching a different team from this board. Find myself agreeing more with the board than twitter .
FB is the same way. There are DIE HARD Calists on there. And if you bring up the T25 record and Q1 record you’re a “bad fairweather fan”. I got close to cussing an old woman on there who thought she was better than me because of it.

Delusion is all I can say.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
For the most part, people on Twitter/Facebook/Instagram aren't hiding behind an avatar and unidentifiable username.

Why am I not surprised that a certain political persuasion is taking the side of the cesspool Twitter? I mean it’s so obvious just read through.

The same “shut up and watch” and “they don’t have to shut up and dribble” crowd like Twitter, the biggest cesspool online imaginable.

If King Alfred was here, and saw Twitter, he would immediately burn his “ink to parchment” vision and pray no one ever discovered the ability to be learnt people.

No. Cancel him!

Seriously though. Amazing the work people go through to bitch and moan when they’re a button to solve the issue. People do the same thing about TV shows. Don’t like it? There’s a remote for that.
Easy there Nancy. There's a huge difference between getting booted from a very specialized message board, for constantly talking down to, and picking fights with everyone. And getting canceled. This is a very small corner of the world. I doubt he'd lose his unemployment or get kicked out of his mom's basement.

Easy there Nancy. There's a huge difference between getting booted from a very specialized message board, for constantly talking down to, and picking fights with everyone. And getting canceled. This is a very small corner of the world. I doubt he'd lose his unemployment or get kicked out of his mom's basement.
Calm down and drink a cold beverage and enjoy your Friday.

Lol. The idea is still the same. If you don’t like something. Don’t engage it. Or give it heed.

Really damn simple.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
They should be run off the board. There’s no room for optimism when the program is suffering. You either care about the program or you don’t. If the coach who’s the gatekeeper isn’t producing, you should voice nothing but displeasure. Too many men have put too much time into this program than to watch a foreigner like Calipari come in and wreck it.

I will be happy when the program is being taken care of. That’s my position and I don’t apologize for it.

Yeah, I get that. I hate that I let some random words on a message board get under my skin. I should be better than that.
You, I and all on here are entitled to our opinions.
I disagree with a lot of people but seldom let their opinion bother me.

I’m of the mind that the program and its well being come first, last, and in between. If the program is not being cared for then I’m going to personally sound alarms in any way I can.

The guy laughs when he doesn’t take care of this program and says he’s headed home to his dogs.

It’s unforgivable. There is not two sides to it. And if you think there is, when he goes, go with him.

I doubt there's many Cal supporters left here but can we all acknowledge that repeatedly typing "Cow" or "CCC" or "Cal nuthuggers" or anything similar is pretty childish? I'm 38 and would be embarrassed to type that lame nonsense, so why do posters older than me think that calling Cal "Cow" is clever or hilarious? Louisville fans came up with that weak insult a decade ago, so no one here even came up with it on their own.

It'd just be nice to have or even see a rational, adult conversation about the issues surrounding the program here, and I'm sure that happens from time to time. I guess you've just gotta scroll past 45-70 year olds tossing out middle school insults that are in no way clever.

I doubt there's many Cal supporters left here but can we all acknowledge that repeatedly typing "Cow" or "CCC" or "Cal nuthuggers" or anything similar is pretty childish? I'm 38 and would be embarrassed to type that lame nonsense, so why do posters older than me think that calling Cal "Cow" is clever or hilarious? Louisville fans came up with that weak insult a decade ago, so no one here even came up with it on their own.

It'd just be nice to have or even see a rational, adult conversation about the issues surrounding the program here, and I'm sure that happens from time to time. I guess you've just gotta scroll past 45-70 year olds tossing out middle school insults that are in no way clever.

His name is Calimari, always has been. That’s why nobody likes him, squids are usually despised.

These days I prefer Couch Cow, but you do you.

I’m 37 and it doesn’t bother me at all.

Do you think calimari was childish when he labeled an entire fan base in Memphis “the miserables” or our fan base “bennies?”

I didn’t think so. Go away.

They should be run off the board. There’s no room for optimism when the program is suffering. You either care about the program or you don’t. If the coach who’s the gatekeeper isn’t producing, you should voice nothing but displeasure. Too many men have put too much time into this program than to watch a foreigner like Calipari come in and wreck it.

I will be happy when the program is being taken care of. That’s my position and I don’t apologize for it.
Gonna have to disagree with this one.

There's always room for optimism or else your life is gonna be filled with misery and your rhetoric screams that.

Sure, we need a new coach but saying Cal came in and wrecked the program is asinine. Calling him a "foreigner" is illogical because Pitino would fit that mold as well.

It's simple, most UK fans are in denial about Calipari. Some fans follow Calipari, not the program. It's like a cult mentality.

For example, most follow political parties like it's a religion. Whatever side you vote for, they'll believe anything due to that mentality.

I'm a huge Kentucky fan, but it doesn't make me blind. It's obvious that Calipari's time at UK is finished. Now, let's say Kentucky wins another title under Calipari (very unlikely) how many of you that want Calipari gone would become hypocrite's?

It would be great, but it wouldn't change my mind because the relationship between Calipari and the fan base is inevitable at this point. It's time for a divorce.

Gonna have to disagree with this one.

There's always room for optimism or else your life is gonna be filled with misery and your rhetoric screams that.

Sure, we need a new coach but saying Cal came in and wrecked the program is asinine. Calling him a "foreigner" is illogical because Pitino would fit that mold as well.

My basketball life is screwed up. Life is doing well.

I’m okay with a foreigner who produces. I was okay with Calipari when he was prostituting the program but winning for it.

Now he’s just a foreign northerner with a big mouth that needs the boot.

Reactions: ukfan117

I’m okay with a foreigner who produces. I was okay with Calipari when he was prostituting the program but winning for it.

I understand that but it can easily spread to your life as well. If you let your basketball life consume you that is.

You're right, Calipari is nothing more than white noise (no pun intended) at this point. It's pretty obvious the game has passed him by. Calipari has become a distraction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT