ADVERTISEMENT

Why doesn't the Hurley logic extend to Sheppard?

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
Hurley said that there comes a point in your life when you make so much money that you don't really have to worry about it anymore. He implied that UK offering him more than UConn offering him no longer made a difference. He was already filthy rich, already happy, and was not willing to compromise that happiness for a bigger pay day.

Pitino likewise said, retrospectively, that you can't "put a price tag on happiness." He said that in regards to regretting his leaving Kentucky.

So when grown men say things like this, we all get it and understand, but when it comes to a very unique situation like Reed Sheppard's, suddenly we ignore that same logic and reroute it to fit a narrative that denies Reed the same mentality that Hurley is stating.

Hurley: I'm already rich. I'm already happy. What's a few more million going to do to that happiness?

Sheppard: will be a millionaire at UK, and beyond. He's also happy playing for Kentucky and literally making millions of others happy. So why does the logic of "stay where you're happy and rich" apply to Hurley but not Sheppard?

The counterarguments go like this (and yes, they're weak):

Argument #1: Sheppard could get injured and it could all be lost.

Name a player in college basketball who had a career-ending injury in college that dramatically altered his draft status? Can you name three of them in the entire history of the sport?

Argument #2: It's a weak draft, and Sheppard's draft status will never be higher.

While this is true, do any of you actually believe Sheppard will suddenly forget how to play if he returns to UK? Even if his percentages decrease a bit, he's still going to be a lottery pick in 2024 or 2025 or whenever he chooses to leave Kentucky.

So then you're left with the same argument you guys made for Hurley that you refuse to make for Sheppard: we're talking about the difference in a millions of dollars over a career, but just like Hurley who will make over $100 million in his career, Sheppard will likewise make that type of money.

Bottom line: if Hurley could be happier and more beloved for taking less money, why can't Sheppard?

If Sheppard comes back, he still becomes an instant millionaire and will be set for life, even if he only plays basketball for one more year and decided to never play again. You make $2.5 million post tax, and you can live off the interest alone. So financially, the NIL mitigates a ton of risk, and the risk was already minimal anyway.

But if he came back, he'd be Pope's first "real guy" (like Mashburn was to Pitino), and Reed would have the opportunity to go down as possibly the most beloved Wildcat of all time.

How do you put a price on that? Is it possible, and if you could, how is that different than what Hurley is arguing from Storrs, that you can be rich, legendary, and happy for the rest of your life all at the same time, even if it means you're just a bit less rich than you would have been otherwise?

I totally agree. Excellent insight. Shepard will have a few million dollars at the age of 19, or thereabout. In seven years that would become 5 or 6 million if untouched. More than any human needs for life. And the reality is that he will go on to the NBA and he will earn more. And like Mike Decourcy says are you a visitor to the NBA or a resident? This is why college athletics is dying. The common person looks at this and sees the absurdity of the money a select few make. Then they turn around and tell us it isn't a big deal if they only come for nine months and if they win or not. If it isn't a big deal then why pay them? I am not sure why I still watch and pay attention. I'm trying to make the break. AT this point it is pure laziness on my part that I don't seek out new interest or hobbies. I hate supporting this stuff but for now I continue.

Hurley has made tens of millions of dollars(or will at very least) Reed has not yet, and a couple million dollars does not set a 19 year old for life anymore unfortunately.
Complete BS. If you get 2 million dollars at nineteen you are set unless your clueless. What planet are you on? Money doubles roughly every 7 years. If he stayed at UK 4 years he's have 5 or 6 million (after tax). Are you kidding me? His kids wouldn't have to work eventually.

He can always declare to get feedback anyways so even if he declares this may go on for a bit until that deadline.

All the speculation into the inner thinking of Reed Sheppards mind on here are fascinating reads though.

Hurley has made tens of millions of dollars(or will at very least) Reed has not yet, and a couple million dollars does not set a 19 year old for life anymore unfortunately.
You don’t need to be set for life to be happy.

The really sad thing about most people with these mindsets is they equate money to happiness. Show where you can buy happiness and where the price tag says “nba salary required.”

There’s more to life to money. And teaching young people that making as much money as possible at every turn at the expense of everything else really sets up the development for low character individuals.

Also a couple million at 19 can easily set you up for life if you study the time value of money and invest wisely.

I totally agree. Excellent insight. Shepard will have a few million dollars at the age of 19, or thereabout. In seven years that would become 5 or 6 million if untouched. More than any human needs for life. And the reality is that he will go on to the NBA and he will earn more. And like Mike Decourcy says are you a visitor to the NBA or a resident? This is why college athletics is dying. The common person looks at this and sees the absurdity of the money a select few make. Then they turn around and tell us it isn't a big deal if they only come for nine months and if they win or not. If it isn't a big deal then why pay them? I am not sure why I still watch and pay attention. I'm trying to make the break. AT this point it is pure laziness on my part that I don't seek out new interest or hobbies. I hate supporting this stuff but for now I continue.
I would love to see him stay and I hope he does, but remember the boys only 19 years old and he has dreams

Complete BS. If you get 2 million dollars at nineteen you are set unless your clueless. What planet are you on? Money doubles roughly every 7 years. If he stayed at UK 4 years he's have 5 or 6 million (after tax). Are you kidding me? His kids wouldn't have to work eventually.
Houses don't cost 50k anymore. Everyday items cost way more. His sights aren't set on making 2m and then coasting.

The real money is in the NBA. He also has to weigh the potential of a catastrophic injury in college. A lot of factors at play.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and TM2013
All easy to say when you're not the one holding the winning lottery ticket. Hurley already has his.

There is set for life and then there is generational wealth, which comes with your 2nd NBA contract. There are numerous arguments both ways. Reed's dad is smart and is uniquely qualified to judge both the legacy side at KY and the financial benefits of both decisions. I doubt this will be an easy decision for them. But what a great position to be in!

I don't think it has anything to do with money.
Reed is a basketball player and the NBA is the highest level of basketball in the world.
It's an honor and a hell of an achievement on his part to be even considered for a lottery pick.
If you are or ever have been an NBA lottery pick, what percentile does that put you in as far as anyone who's ever picked up a basketball.
The lottery pick is something that he has earned and it's perfectly understandable if he's ready to accept it this year.

Someone posted a YouTube video (too lazy to link - I think it was Aaron Torres) which essentially stated that if Reed stayed at UK he could become a multi-millionaire through NIL, endorsements, and future endorsements even after his time at UK comes to an end and without even going into the NBA. He made a pretty good case for a KY legend becoming an ambassador for the program and getting paid year after year for pretty much the rest of his life. It was a good argument, but I still think Reed goes to the NBA. There's prestige there as well. As a player, you want to achieve at the highest level, and Reed is a competitor.

Reactions: dezyDeco and chroix
Jeff is part owner of a Wealth Management Company, and I'm sure they will be Reeds financial advisors. Reed can make more than enough NIL money this year to offset much of what a first year NBA contract would get. But I've always said basically the same as Hurley, especially when it comes to some of these giant contracts athletes sign. What can you do with $7 or 8 mil that you can't do with $4 or 5 mil. Yeah i know that technically there's quite a few things, but in terms of the day to day things that make you happy, there's really not much. Once you reach FU money, and you prioritize your wants and needs, you can essentially do anything you want. And if you manage the $4 or 5 mil properly it can easily become the $7 to 8 mil.

One is a middle-aged man who has won 2 titles back-to-back at a school who has 6 titles in 25 years. He is getting a solid raise from Uconn, is in an area he and his family feel comfortable, and he has a chance to go for a 3rd title in a row. He also wants the Knicks job. So what he said wasn't entirely true.

Reed is 20 years old and still trying to achieve his dreams. He likely did not come here expecting to be in this position so soon. However, having the opportunity to likely get a guaranteed lottery pick and the payout that goes with it is life changing.

NIL for Reed would likely not exceed the 2 million Oscar allegedly got. And it's been rumored that was a pretty inflated number from what he actually got. His first year salary alone in the league will be around 5 million. He also has the potential to earn endorsement deals, as well as continuing to come back here and profit from his UK affiliation.

Next years draft isn't going to be strong either, but it isn’t quite as bad as this years. Reed isn't your ideal build and athlete that the NBA prefers, so his stock can likely drop a bit based on that alone. He also will have to learn to play with an entirely new team, new coaching staff and in a new system. He could easily see his percentages drop as a result, which likely diminishes his stock a bit. We could also perform very poorly as a team and that could lead to questions about his leadership.

If you come back and tear an MCL/ACL is that going to cause a drop in stock? There have also been several players over the last decade or so that have seen their future pro careers ended or put on pause by the discovery of heart issues or other serious ailments.

There are just way too many unknown variables to risk coming back for a lottery pick that this point. Pretty sure Kyle Filipowski was a potential lottery pick last year. He came back and is a late first rounder this year. He wasn't bad or anything, but he provided NBA scouts with more tape and they feel others are better prospects now.

As Coach Pope made clear...Reed has earned this privilege and needs to do what he feels is best for him.

Hurley said that there comes a point in your life when you make so much money that you don't really have to worry about it anymore. He implied that UK offering him more than UConn offering him no longer made a difference. He was already filthy rich, already happy, and was not willing to compromise that happiness for a bigger pay day.

Pitino likewise said, retrospectively, that you can't "put a price tag on happiness." He said that in regards to regretting his leaving Kentucky.

So when grown men say things like this, we all get it and understand, but when it comes to a very unique situation like Reed Sheppard's, suddenly we ignore that same logic and reroute it to fit a narrative that denies Reed the same mentality that Hurley is stating.

Hurley: I'm already rich. I'm already happy. What's a few more million going to do to that happiness?

Sheppard: will be a millionaire at UK, and beyond. He's also happy playing for Kentucky and literally making millions of others happy. So why does the logic of "stay where you're happy and rich" apply to Hurley but not Sheppard?

Name a player in college basketball who had a career-ending injury in college that dramatically altered his draft status? Can you name three of them in the entire history of the sport?

Argument #2: It's a weak draft, and Sheppard's draft status will never be higher.

While this is true, do any of you actually believe Sheppard will suddenly forget how to play if he returns to UK? Even if his percentages decrease a bit, he's still going to be a lottery pick in 2024 or 2025 or whenever he chooses to leave Kentucky.

So then you're left with the same argument you guys made for Hurley that you refuse to make for Sheppard: we're talking about the difference in a millions of dollars over a career, but just like Hurley who will make over $100 million in his career, Sheppard will likewise make that type of money.

Bottom line: if Hurley could be happier and more beloved for taking less money, why can't Sheppard?

If Sheppard comes back, he still becomes an instant millionaire and will be set for life, even if he only plays basketball for one more year and decided to never play again. You make $2.5 million post tax, and you can live off the interest alone. So financially, the NIL mitigates a ton of risk, and the risk was already minimal anyway.

But if he came back, he'd be Pope's first "real guy" (like Mashburn was to Pitino), and Reed would have the opportunity to go down as possibly the most beloved Wildcat of all time.

How do you put a price on that? Is it possible, and if you could, how is that different than what Hurley is arguing from Storrs, that you can be rich, legendary, and happy for the rest of your life all at the same time, even if it means you're just a bit less rich than you would have been otherwise?
I guess for a player your prime is only so long and you need to cash in while you can, whereas being a coach you can go well into your 70s if your good at it

Reactions: PhilipVU94
If your money doubles every 7 years I need your investment guy , not mine .

First, I think he is likely gone and I do not blame him. One year earlier getting to the second contract is a big deal. Still, he is a competitor and I am sure if you grow up wanting to be one of the best players in the world, the NBA is where you do that.

However, his circumstances are unique. Jeff is a financial planner/wealth manager, so Reed won’t be have 7 cars and 30 hangers-on to suck him dry. $2mm in your portfolio at 20 years old with a trusted financial advisor, that is some serious compounding.

I’ll say this-if I saw him come down wrong and lying on the floor holding a knee, I’d be sick…for him.

Reactions: augustaky1

I firmly believe if Reed comes back to UK next year he will win NPOY. Period. End of story.

If he just put $2M in an IRA at this age by the time he is an old timer that money will be worth $20M at least.

Granted he could do that in NBA too...it builds down to what matters most to him.

For everyone saying “he could have a terrible injury” they literally have insurance plans for ball players for this exact instance

Coach Pope was talking about how Reed and his family are really putting it in the hands of Gods direction. I don’t believe in God so idk what that might look like, but I do know that usually when people say they are gonna pray on a decision, they almost always decide to do what they want to do, even if in some cases it means ignoring good advice from actual real people they know, love, and trust. That’s kind of human nature, no matter what your spiritual beliefs are.

That being said, it means one of two things. 1. It’s kind of an arbitrary thing people say when they need more time to make a decision, because reality is, at the end of the day Reed has to make his choice and do what he feels is right. Or 2, I go on what little I know about “God” to think about what they would think about Reed’s choices. God is gonna tell Reed to go to the NBA for the money and a shitty league culture? To make it clear, I enjoy the fan culture around the NBA, but the league culture is horrendous. If it’s really up to God, the choice is pretty freakin clear ain’t it? And the money is still gonna be there.

If he just put $2M in an IRA at this age by the time he is an old timer that money will be worth $20M at least.

Granted he could do that in NBA too...it builds down to what matters most to him.
Very true, but he could also make more than that in the first year of his second NBA contract, in 4 years.

Grayson Allen just signed for $17.5 million a year for showing what a shooter can get. I am not comparing the Tripper to Reed, he just signed so its current news)

His dad was one of my favorites, so he had it built in and I really would love for him to stay four years, but I understand if he goes.

He would be one of the few top 10 level draft picks I wouldn't be super shocked to see return though

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Coach Pope was talking about how Reed and his family are really putting it in the hands of Gods direction. I don’t believe in God so idk what that might look like, but I do know that usually when people say they are gonna pray on a decision, they almost always decide to do what they want to do, even if in some cases it means ignoring good advice from actual real people they know, love, and trust. That’s kind of human nature, no matter what your spiritual beliefs are.

That being said, it means one of two things. 1. It’s kind of an arbitrary thing people say when they need more time to make a decision, because reality is, at the end of the day Reed has to make his choice and do what he feels is right. Or 2, I go on what little I know about “God” to think about what they would think about Reed’s choices. God is gonna tell Reed to go to the NBA for the money and a shitty league culture? To make it clear, I enjoy the fan culture around the NBA, but the league culture is horrendous. If it’s really up to God, the choice is pretty freakin clear ain’t it? And the money is still gonna be there.

I get where you’re coming from but Scott Drew prayed on it and went against his own financial interest so there’s a current example that directly contradicts your first position.

Reactions: dezyDeco
Reeds stats are NOT going down. You dont go from the bench to the focal point and stats go down, In Popes system Reed averages over 20 and has 5-7 assist with 3-5 steals a game.

might go #1 in next years class

The injury excuse doesn’t even fly with the insurance policies that can be taken out. You get injured at UK you have 2 million in NIL plus the insurance policy of either 5-10 million. Go to the league, get a 14 million dollar contract paid over 4 years you could get injured in summer league game and never play a game. Not sure how much of NBA contract is paid out but highly doubtful it is 100%.

I'm not religious either, but you have to wonder if these are really the types of things God would be worried about!?!?!

Reed is in a great situation either way, so it's a win/win situation. What impact would God be able to have on it?

We have starving people, crimes, suffering, diseases abound, children being abused and neglected, concerns of war breaking out around the globe and some think God should be focused on helping Reed Sheppard decide between making several million in the NBA or just a couple of million at UK.

Shit like that is what makes religion so wonky.

There are other things that bring happiness and satisfaction outside of money. In fact, the love of family, faith in God and being in a situation where you feel a peace and contentment is extremely desirable. I trust the Lord’s direction in major situations as I don’t know all the unknowns that will come up - He does. Feeling a level of peace and calm about a decision is worth more to me than millions of dollars. That’s just me and apparently others like Scott Drew.

Reed and his family are doing the right thing by taking time to think through his options and letting God help them to navigate this process. I wish Reed Sheppard all the best whatever he chooses. He will crush it whether it is in the NBA or back at UK. He’ll make the right choice for him.

I get where you’re coming from but Scott Drew prayed on it and went against his own financial interest so there’s a current example that directly contradicts your first position.
On the contrary, it’s an example of my first position. Didn’t take long for Drew to decide to do what he wanted to do. He didn’t want to leave Baylor so he didn’t. God had nothing to do with that. People just say that stuff, it’s lines in a play.

I'm not religious either, but you have to wonder if these are really the types of things God would be worried about!?!?!

Reed is in a great situation either way, so it's a win/win situation. What impact would God be able to have on it?

We have starving people, crimes, suffering, diseases abound, children being abused and neglected, concerns of war breaking out around the globe and some think God should be focused on helping Reed Sheppard decide between making several million in the NBA or just a couple of million at UK.

If not a religious person or believer in god you obviously don’t understand what prayer is about. Any direction that anyone feel god leads them to accept is about anything and everything but money.

Scott Drew felt that uprooting his family at this time was the wrong thing to do. As I said before, there are more intangible factors at work here that overrule making more money.

A couple of million most certainly could set up a 19 year old for life. If they put that money to work for them it will most certainly take care of them.

Reeds mother and father owe everything they have to UK and the crazy fans. Do they want their son to become a true Kentucky hero? True or not, it will be written that Reed saved the program. How do you put a price tag on that?

The injury excuse doesn’t even fly with the insurance policies that can be taken out. You get injured at UK you have 2 million in NIL plus the insurance policy of either 5-10 million. Go to the league, get a 14 million dollar contract paid over 4 years you could get injured in summer league game and never play a game. Not sure how much of NBA contract is paid out but highly doubtful it is 100%.
That's why you have to look at the "guaranteed" amount rather than the actual contract amount to know what they will definitely get out of it.

When it comes to praying on something like this, it really amounts to following your heart. If you believe in the Lord and have faith, he won't misguide you when you follow what your heart tells you to do. That's supposed to be his way of guiding you. At least that's my take on it.

So, how does that apply to Reed? I obviously think he has NBA aspirations, but never expected them to be this soon. He also thought he could be a legacy, hometown hero as well. He's not a loser either way he goes. He will be taken care of for life, either way he goes. So if his heart says make the jump so be it. But if his heart and prayers lead him back to Lexington, I think his faith is strong enough that he feels God will take care of him regardless.

Reactions: BBNinSC
If not a religious person or believer in god you obviously don’t understand what prayer is about. Any direction that anyone feel god leads them to accept is about anything and everything but money.
Most people's understanding of prayer seems to be whatever they want it to be.

Just seems a bit silly to say you're praying hard over 2 great choices, particularly when much of religion is centered around the idea of freedom of choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT