ADVERTISEMENT

Who is our next OC?

Yeah that was it. Stoops started off here signing several 4 star and regarded recievers but by year 8 we were just a 3 yard and dist team that couldn’t get anybody that didn’t want to show up and block every play so we were boxed in. With the portal just starting that year he changed the narrative quickly to get wandale back etc who left in the first place because 3 yards and a cloud…

Hardly. Crod averaged around 6 yards a carry for his career. No matter what fronts were there, Gran was still able to run the ball extremely well vs anyone other than Georgia. Crod followed the all time leading rusher at UK, and was a suspension away from breaking the record himself.

Again, noone contests that a change had to be made for perception sake, but this revisionist history is insane.

I know full well UK fans hate to run the ball I just don't understand why. Running the ball will always win games no matter the current fad. We need balance of course but it can't just be air it out.

Gran wasn't fired for shit...don't know what you all's definition of fired means.

Your boy EG got the better end of the deal. He's still on staff, he's still getting paid good money and he's no longer on the target. He basically gets to do everything he was doing without taking the heat.

I'm okay with that though, because in his defense he knows RBs and ground game. I've criticized the ole boy for plenty, but I have always tried to be fair and give credit where credit is due. EG can recruit, develop, and coach some trench ball.

He'd be great to pair with a passing game guy. I'd be okay with him being RB coach/ground game so long as the OC was a passing game guy and had total control of everything from recruiting all the way up to game day play calling.

I think there are several good options, but Rees would be a great hire imo. Played and coached quarterbacks at blue bloods. Has recruited well. Several years experience calling plays. Likes power game and used TE really well at ND.

Dude is a great fit.

From what I'm reading, I do think he checks alot of boxes.

So far I think my opinion is much like the one I had about scangerello when be was hired: good hire, especially given the timing, but disappointed because it feels like we could've done better. Feels like we could've done better because it seems this guy has only been pretty good even with a constant talent advantage. Here he wont have that.

I agree with you though, the recruiting part seems to be something that's key for stoops right now. I think he signaled that when he swallowed his pride and brought back wolf.

If CMS is able to haul in Reese...that may be his greatest achievement to date.

Don't be like Bama fans and let one play in one game dictate someone's career.

Reese, whether they like it or not, is next up in CFB. Has been since he got into coaching after his playing days.

Give him top dollar and full control of offense.

Reactions: catben and UKfirst
If true, very excited. Rees much more familiar with CFB shemes than Coen. Might actually see some real life read/option!

Obvious conspiracy theory thinking: did Stoops fire Yenser and hire Wolford knowing Coen was going, somewhere- and he would then hire Rees??

If true, very excited. Rees much more familiar with CFB shemes than Coen. Might actually see some real life read/option!

Obvious conspiracy theory thinking: did Stoops fire Yenser and hire Wolford knowing Coen was going, somewhere- and he would then hire Rees??

I don't know if it was all in the plans, but I definitely think (if that's the hire) he absolutely worked through wolf to get there.

Pretty interesting considering last time coen bolted, stoops worked through yenser to get scang

Just a reminder, 2 yrs ago when Kelly left Notre Dame for LSU, there was a not small segment of the Doamer fanbase who wanted Rees promoted to HC instead of Freeman. And Kelly wanted to bring Rees with him to LSU.

Just a reminder, 2 yrs ago when Kelly left Notre Dame for LSU, there was a not small segment of the Doamer fanbase who wanted Rees promoted to HC instead of Freeman. And Kelly wanted to bring Rees with him to LSU.

Rumor has it, Bama liked him enough that if Deboer said no, he was probably the guy.

If he's good enough for ND and Bama to be OC or HC if push comes to shove, he's good enough for me.

Thought the job Rees did with Milroe was remarkable. Milroe really struggled early in the season then the light came on the second half. Hope it happens.

Hardly. Crod averaged around 6 yards a carry for his career. No matter what fronts were there, Gran was still able to run the ball extremely well vs anyone other than Georgia. Crod followed the all time leading rusher at UK, and was a suspension away from breaking the record himself.

Again, noone contests that a change had to be made for perception sake, but this revisionist history is insane.

I know full well UK fans hate to run the ball I just don't understand why. Running the ball will always win games no matter the current fad. We need balance of course but it can't just be air it out.
Nothing better to watch than a power runs thru the line for 5/10/15 yards. Brute force is where it's at. Just love it!

Anyone good enough to be a coordinator at places like Notre Dame and at Alabama under Saban is definitely good enough to be a coordinator here. I don't think there is another name out there who would create a bigger buzz among fans or recruits.

Here is a vid of Rees doing a coaching clinic from back in 2019, just to provide some perspective of how he communicates, thinks and coaches QBs.

I know Rees is without a job and it's a little late in the cycle, but he probably sees UK as a step backwards. I would if I were him. I'd sit this cycle out, soak up the Alabama money, and shoot for a better job next season.
Rees was hired by the Browns to coach TEs a few weeks ago.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Here is a great article discussing Rees' offensive philosophy:

https://lastwordonsports.com/colleg...changes-to-expect-with-tommy-rees-at-alabama/

I really love what I'm reading about this guy. I honestly wish we had him here this past season. If we had, we would have probably won more games and scored more points, because he would have given our stud RB more carries and gone deep to Barion Brown a bit less.

And finally, finally, finally, it would be awesome to have someone who fricking knows how to utilize tight ends!

I really, really hope Stoops can pull this off. Tommy Rees is precisely the guy we need. I love a balanced offense that prides itself on being tough/physical.

Reactions: UKfirst
Here is a great article discussing Rees' offensive philosophy:

https://lastwordonsports.com/colleg...changes-to-expect-with-tommy-rees-at-alabama/

I really love what I'm reading about this guy. I honestly wish we had him here this past season. If we had, we would have probably won more games and scored more points, because he would have given our stud RB more carries and gone deep to Barion Brown a bit less.

And finally, finally, finally, it would be awesome to have someone who fricking knows how to utilize tight ends!

I really, really hope Stoops can pull this off. Tommy Rees is precisely the guy we need. I love a balanced offense that prides itself on being tough/physical.

Tommy Rees was at AL because Saban knew he was a top level hire. We would be lucky to get him. But if it were to happen, some fans would be asking from the jump how long he would stay here. And you never know. Assistant coaches are always looking for better deals and better jobs. Nature of the beast. No matter who gets hired, he won't be here forever. Barnhart was on the hook for $1.8 million for Coen this year. That's serious money. We have the money and resources to hire a better OC than Coen, but the due diligence needs to be better than it was for Coen or Scan.

It doesn't change anything if Stoops wants him and if Rees would rather be a coordinator than a TE coach. But we would be lucky to get him. This guy can recruit, develop, and manage.
That's kind of what I was saying. Keep up. That's why I deleted my first post. But you had to try and jump right on it.

Curious to know what Rees and Wolfords relationship was like last year at Bama . Could be a factor

Reactions: UKfirst
There are probably many qualified candidates in Div 1, 2, and 3 that are available. I just think that whomever Stoops chooses will be handcuffed immediately after taking the job. If I were a candidate under consideration, I would need assurances that the play calling was my responsibility. Of course, the head coach is free to make suggestions, but the actual call would be the decision of the OC. If UK gets a 10 point or greater lead at halftime both the offense and defense are instructed, IMO, to dial back and get more conservative. The mindset seems to be that offensively we will run the ball until we are forced to pass. Let off the gas and not step on it because bad things might happen. We have enough points to win so let’s not do what we have been successful doing thus far!

On the flip side, we need the continuity of a multi-year OC. The OC’s have been paid well so the contract needs to be for 3-4 years with a large buyout. Don’t know if this is feasible for a young candidate like Rees who probably has head coach aspirations, but necessary as this revolving door is going to hurt future offensive recruiting efforts. We have experienced stability on the defensive side with White and our talent level is much greater than it was a few years ago.

I am pessimistic that Stoops is going to change from his micro-managing style. He will set the parameters of the offense he wants and hire the candidate that has similar thinking. Then at the press conference to announce the hire CMS will state that the new OC is one of the most innovative offensive minds in the business and will be able to implement his fast paced system this Spring and fans will be extremely excited when the 2024 season starts with this new, explosive, and high scoring offense. Then after a few games, we fans realize that nothing has changed.

Kingsbury just pulled out of being raiders oc? 🤷🏼😀
Haha, to take the Redskins OC job instead

For all those detractors of Rees saying "he will only be here a year!"....ok? Why is that bad if he does a great job for 2024 UK offense then gets hired as a power 4 (rip Pac 12) head coach? It makes the hiring if the next OC that much easier imo.

Reactions: Girthang
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT