ADVERTISEMENT

Who is our next OC?

Basil Cat

Blue Chip Prospect
May 25, 2021
No backfill on staff. Who is available this late ? Some washed up re-tread? Last thing we need.

What was the name of the guy who was all about 3 yards and a cloud of dust and had Couch running the option?

That would be Stoops dream OC.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Man...this a tall order for Stoops.

1. Lose your OC what less than 2 months before spring ball starts (at least I assume he was preparing for this in the month that Coen was looking to leave before this)
2. All the OCs and change of course is hard on the player development
3. Vadagriff, Boley and Saunder (he's not likely to stick) all here
4. So many college jobs have been open and filled ...so this NFL merry-go-round is so late it hurts college teams that whose hiring/firing cycles are way different.
5. Stoops has no offensive philosophy to build up himself...so he has to have a good hire in this side of ball to carry him
6. Stoops open flirting wtih Texas AM just recently.

Going to be hard to get a good OC that wants to come here.....feels like as low credibility and stability to come to UK now.

I think Barnhart might have to pull rank and bring in the usurper. Essentially bring in the guy who's next and start the succession plan.

Like what happened up in New England. Billy got rid of Tommy, so Bobby started planning Billy's retirement. Insert Jerrod Mayo.

The only way we get a guy worth a lick is if number one, he comes in day one in charge of offense from staffing, recruiting, on up to play calling and game day.

That may mean bye bye for some loyal Stoops Troops. So be it.

Pay this guy top dollar, and basically let it be known he's HCIW. Then look at CMS and tell him that Jimmy Sexton need not bother with calling this off season, go ahead and take whatever gig it may be.

I think Barnhart might have to pull rank and bring in the usurper. Essentially bring in the guy who's next and start the succession plan.

Like what happened up in New England. Billy got rid of Tommy, so Bobby started planning Billy's retirement. Insert Jerrod Mayo.

The only way we get a guy worth a lick is if number one, he comes in day one in charge of offense from staffing, recruiting, on up to play calling and game day.

Pay this guy top dollar, and basically let it be known he's HCIW. Then look at CMS and tell him that Jimmy Sexton need not bother with calling this off season, go ahead and take whatever gig it may be.
HCIW is not a good model in college. That was the trend 15 years ago and it went away for a reason.

HCIW is not a good model in college. That was the trend 15 years ago and it went away for a reason.

I agree. It's not ideal to be in the position we're in either. Head coach churning through OCs and looking for gigs himself every off season.

It's clear CMS has probably maxed out at UK, and even knows that as he tried to leave.

So, for all parties involved, before it gets real messy let's set up a succession plan. It allows the next guy to come in learn the terrain, recruit players, etc. It also allows CMS to kind of free himself and start looking for a gig.

No hard feelings, thanks for the memories. Both parties can work together as they separate to ensure smooth transitions and landings.

Reactions: bluecoon1

Morehead has been a successful offensive coordinator, his run as head coach at MSST wasn't quite as successful but that's a tough place to be successful. But the HCIW tag is such a handicap no AD wants to hand that title out. HCIW has the same restrictions in recruiting as head coach does.

Reactions: UKat1 and satcheluk
Moorhead should be option #1. Stein would be good but idk if that's doable.

Even if it is, I still think Moorhead is the better fit offensively while stein is most surely the better recruiter.
Agree

He pursued the UK OC job in 2021. I think he has more left in the tank to be successful in CFB than Dan Mullin.

Johns would be a great choice as well. Not sure there is any connection between the 2 though, that is a little important.

Oregon will pay Stein $500k more than anything UK were to offer. They are building to win the 2024 CFB playoff, and 3rd OC in 3 yrs derails that.

Morehead has been a successful offensive coordinator, his run as head coach at MSST wasn't quite as successful but that's a tough place to be successful. But the HCIW tag is such a handicap no AD wants to hand that title out. HCIW has the same restrictions in recruiting as head coach does.

I think every organization, whether it's business world or sports world has a plan...or should at least.

Maybe the HCIW is a little too loud. You don't have to call it that and have a big parade announcing it.

It's just a plan. We talk about it all the time on numerous threads every year. It can and does go by other names...chiefly "the call list".

Who's on the call list, whether it's HC, coordinator or position coach. We as fans have one, and we expect our administrative brass to have one.

Michigan had a plan. Bama had a plan in Sark, but the Texas gig was too big, thus they had to scramble a bit.

HCIW, or whatever you want to name it is just a call list plan that's a bit more advanced and ready to be executed. Instead of having to scramble drill once a coach leaves in the off season, and calling names on that list, let's go ahead and have the guy on staff already.

Mitch seemingly was going to go that route with LC if CMS took the Aggie gig. Which I'm proud of him for, he was ready, and I think that kind of speaks to where the relationship is with CMS and the fact that all parties are kind thinking the same thing. It's time.

Maybe 5-6 years ago, it's not appropriate. Now it is, given all we know. He's tapped out. He's probably not winning more than 7-8 games a year, he can't keep an offensive staff together, and he can't keep his name out of other openings.

Reactions: brbates
Which potential OC runs more of an NFL-style offense? While I think we need to stick to what works in college, it seems we've been successful recruiting QBs and WRs for an NFL offense. If we change drastically, we might see a shit-ton of transfers, leaving us with an empty cupboard for 2024.

Reactions: brbates

No more HCIW. That worked out real well the last time we tried that.

Akron HC is a possibility ...
Joe Moorhead is 4-20 at a MAC school. we can make the argument about Coordinators not being good head coaches sometimes, but that's pretty abysmal. The most points they scored in a game all season was 31. They scored 27 points 3 times. One of those was a four OT game and another a two OT game. both losses. Not sure where all the love for him is coming from.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT