ADVERTISEMENT

Where were you watching when Latener hit that shot?

In my living room at home. I was a sophomore in high school. I thought we had that game won until Ralph Hacker declared that Sean Woods had won the game with that running leaner. I immediately got a sick feeling about what was to come. And then..............

Driving down the road to a party. I walked out of a bar with how ever many seconds were left after Woods hit his shot. Get to the party and everyone is talking about how we lost. I thought they were screwing with me until sportscenter came on and I saw it.

I was an instructor in the Navy, at home hosting a class party. The excitement of the Woods basket was quickly extinguished by the worst moment I have experienced in my sports lifetime.

TGIF on Linn Station road in Louisville. Place went from a resounding roar to tab paying and exiting. Tips suffered there at the end.

Watched it on a small tv just outside my crummy rent control apt. in Santa Monica.

I was watching it on a small hand-held TV at the HS state tournament, that year, being held in Freedom Hall.

I was delivering pizzas for Pizza Hut in the Middletown/Hurstbourne area. Listened to most of the game on the radio - but got to this one house just before Sean hit that shot. At the door, I asked how the game was going; they invited me in to watch the last few minutes. HUGE UK fan party going on there. I watched it happen with these strangers - and stood there in shock when Laettner's shot went down. Cried all the way back to the store.

I was watching it on a small hand-held TV at the HS state tournament, that year, being held in Freedom Hall.
I was there too, just not when we played Duke. My school got eliminated by Pulaski County that year the night before.

I was delivering pizzas for Pizza Hut in the Middletown/Hurstbourne area. Listened to most of the game on the radio - but got to this one house just before Sean hit that shot. At the door, I asked how the game was going; they invited me in to watch the last few minutes. HUGE UK fan party going on there. I watched it happen with these strangers - and stood there in shock when Laettner's shot went down. Cried all the way back to the store.
As a once pizza driver myself, I have had some similar happy and sad time with customers. Only none so sad as that one.

Reactions: Bkocats
On a date at the movies. Brought a radio. 10 other people were listening to the game as well and giving play by play announcements.

After Woods hit that shot the whole place went crazy. After the Latener shot everyone was pissed. I remember 3-4 couples leaving during the movie.

If you are wondering why I was watching a movie during the game I totally understand. No excuses other than dating a senior when I was a freshman. Was doing everything I could to score my own way.

Reactions: Jkwo
At home. When the shot fell through, I fell to the ground. Promptly jumped back up cursing and tore some shiat up like a little kid with a tantrum. yep I said it.

Working in a liquor store. Called a customer (older lady) a bad name after this exchange:

Duke had just scored fairly late in the game to take their biggest lead, I want to say 12 points w/ about 6 or 8 minutes left, when she came to the counter w/ her bottle of wine and asked, "What's the score?" Thinking I was talking to a fellow cat fan, I gave her the score: "Duke just scored to go up 12" in a subdued manner. Her, "Good...I don't win my bet unless they win by 20!

Needless to say, I lost the subdued manner in a big damn hurry. Told her I hoped she had $1,000 bet and we lost by 19, among a couple of choice expletives. Turned out to be the store owner's aunt.

Employee of the month for March '92 isn't among my former awards/accolades

Last edited:
My parents took me out of school and we drove to Philadelphia. I was nine years old and remember everything. We stayed in the same hotel as the team. Found noise bleeds right before tipoff. At halftime we saw 4 empty seats 2 rows behind the basket. Unbelievable seats to watch one of the greatest games ever. The same basket where Grant Hill took the ball out. I will never forget trying to distract Hill while he was about to throw it to that one guy.
That game and trip made me the UK fan I am today. But what made that trip so special was after the game. I was in tears in the lobby of the hotel. Not only was most of the team down there but Pitino, Cawood, and Bill Keightley. I got to meet and talk to the everyone. Got a ball and jersey signed by the whole team, coaches, and cawood. Been die-hard ever since. GBB

Me and my Dad always watched UK games together. We were watching this game together as usual and I don't believe my Dad had ever been as excited as when Sean Woods hit the go ahead shot to put us up. Then of course history happened and Laettner hit the shot. Little did I know that would be the last game I would ever get to watch with my Dad. He passed away that summer from a massive heart attack. If any of you have the same ritual of watching games with your Dad, treasure every one of them. You never know when that last one will be.

I wasn't born for another two years, but it was the first Kentucky game my mom and dad watched together. And my dad still married her. That, my friends, is love. (We still consider her presence during games as bad luck)

1. I was an 18 year old Senior in high school. I was on the floor leaned up against my bed watching it on tv. When Duke hit that shot, I am not ashamed to say it, I cried like a baby. I was sure that the refs were Duke fans and that was the reason they didn't kick out Laettner after The Stomp.

In hotel room in DC with wife at a business meeting. . I am sure if there were any people in next room they thought it was a case of domestic violence . Really really ruined what was going to be a great evening .
Even had to see some Duke people later and keep a civil tone.

US Navy moored up in Geata Italy in the berthing of the USS Sierra. Another guy watching the game with me kept telling me that Duke had already won, but I didn't believe him. Still not sure to this if it was delayed or not. Didn't matter, it hurt just as bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT