ADVERTISEMENT

Divestment (until Cal leaves) will bring you peace

Nov 5, 2002
After UK's super team lost to Wisconsin in 2015, I completely divested after several decades of being a fan. It hurt greatly at first because UK basketball was simply a part of life in my family. I watched with my papaw and dad from the 70s to 2006, when they both passed within weeks of each other.
I remember where I was for the great games (when Laettner hit "the shot" I was on a deployment and in a tent in Germany at "O-dark thirty", watching on a black and white Sony Watchman). When they came back from 17 down in the second half against Duke in 1998 I was watching it on ESPN Asia in a large tent in Kuwait. I absolutely love UK basketball.
I was skeptical of Cal's qualifications after the bow out versus West Virginia in 2010, and his in-game performance the next several years, even though they held on to beat Kansas in 2012. He always had a short leash with me because I got tired of his overused phrases each year. Losing to "Frank the Tank" and that inferior bunch in 2015 was the final straw and I have only occasionally watched highlights in the years since. My winters and early springs have been very peaceful.
I come back to the board during times like these to see if others have finally had enough and will stand in solidarity with those of us who have already tapped out. Fellow diehards, it is not worth the blood pressure spikes, lost hope, and near heart attack bursts of anger that this charlatan has made us endure for so long.
I hope he is sent packing post haste for the sake of our beloved program. Try divesting until he is gone; I promise it will give you peace.

I applauded Cal for a few years, defended him for others, apologized for his antics for years after that, mildly tolerated him for a stretch, and now detest the man and what he has done to our beloved program.

ihjF1Kl.png

Reactions: Girthang and Emarc
After UK's super team lost to Wisconsin in 2015, I completely divested after several decades of being a fan. It hurt greatly at first because UK basketball was simply a part of life in my family. I watched with my papaw and dad from the 70s to 2006, when they both passed within weeks of each other.
I remember where I was for the great games (when Laettner hit "the shot" I was on a deployment and in a tent in Germany at "O-dark thirty", watching on a black and white Sony Watchman). When they came back from 17 down in the second half against Duke in 1998 I was watching it on ESPN Asia in a large tent in Kuwait. I absolutely love UK basketball.
I was skeptical of Cal's qualifications after the bow out versus West Virginia in 2010, and his in-game performance the next several years, even though they held on to beat Kansas in 2012. He always had a short leash with me because I got tired of his overused phrases each year. Losing to "Frank the Tank" and that inferior bunch in 2015 was the final straw and I have only occasionally watched highlights in the years since. My winters and early springs have been very peaceful.
I come back to the board during times like these to see if others have finally had enough and will stand in solidarity with those of us who have already tapped out. Fellow diehards, it is not worth the blood pressure spikes, lost hope, and near heart attack bursts of anger that this charlatan has made us endure for so long.
I hope he is sent packing post haste for the sake of our beloved program. Try divesting until he is gone; I promise it will give you peace.

Great share. You have a hell of a lot more self control than me. No world in which I can invision not watching UKBB.

Instead, for me...it isn't the priority it was 20 years ago.

Reactions: jlynn323
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT