ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Rick Pitino?

Yeah, no other coaches have to hear crap like poor old Rick. Cal didn't have an entire student section chanting at him at Missouri last year. Has ANY other coach done this?!

Apologists

Not an apologist but a realist. There is no excuse for giving fans the bird. I've sat at hundreds of Football games and heard and seen fans yell obscenities, scream insults and even throw objects. Idiots. No matter what a coach or player does, there is no excuse for that kind of behavior. People that do this need to have their moms spank their little butts.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Totally understand this perspective but he will never know, and by his own words, never care what any of us say or think about him. He's repeatedly shown this.

So we aren't making him more miserable, that tiny piece of his brain that knows the real truth about himself and his choices but mostly his fall from grace make him miserable.

No problem with him caring or not caring what others think, but you are absolutely right when you say it's his own behavior that is making him miserable.
I work with people every day and if they'd understand this truth, their lives would be changed.

Most people would look at something like the game and the rivalry and recognize it has nothing, zero to do with real life. Outside Ky fans, bball and the ul rivalry mean nothing. It's just a game. Maybe not everyone would have done it, but I certainly would have and most men around the world probably would as well.

Coaching UK, ul, ut, uga, osu, etc....is nothing more than a job. If you can make more money or if one suits your family better, you take it.

I just disagree. You don't get to bask in the glow of the passion of UK fandom and then turn around and spit on it repeatedly with no consequences.

Logically I get what you're saying. And most jobs I'd agree. But there is a reason UK basketball is what it is and that reason is the collective will and force of nature of generations of UK fans.

Other fans bases try to mock it or belittle it but you see it in only a few teams, both pro and college.

I also think it was more about money for Pitino so I don't think that was why he took the uofl job. He took it to try to recapture the adoration of the good people of Kentucky. His ego LOVED that.

He miscalculated that is all. I agree when you say most people would make the financial decision that was best for their families. Just disagree that at his level of wealth that it was a deciding factor.

Honestly, he lost more in the long run by doing what he did. Money, integrity, the love of both fan bases. A bunch.

Not an apologist but a realist. There is no excuse for giving fans the bird. I've sat at hundreds of Football games and heard and seen fans yell obscenities, scream insults and even throw objects. Idiots. No matter what a coach or player does, there is no excuse for that kind of behavior. People that do this need to have their moms spank their little butts.

I don't disagree at all. Humility and decorum is dead. I don't however believe that the UK fans around him that day were as bad as the revisionists would have us believe. I've read accounts from the people around that exit and they said it was maybe one or two people.

Mitch, Cal and UK won't let our fans take joking signs in there if there is even the hint of an offense being taken!

I just disagree. You don't get to bask in the glow of the passion of UK fandom and then turn around and spit on it repeatedly with no consequences.

Logically I get what you're saying. And most jobs I'd agree. But there is a reason UK basketball is what it is and that reason is the collective will and force of nature of generations of UK fans.

Other fans bases try to mock it or belittle it but you see it in only a few teams, both pro and college.

I also think it was more about money for Pitino so I don't think that was why he took the uofl job. He took it to try to recapture the adoration of the good people of Kentucky. His ego LOVED that.

He miscalculated that is all. I agree when you say most people would make the financial decision that was best for their families. Just disagree that at his level of wealth that it was a deciding factor.

Honestly, he lost more in the long run by doing what he did. Money, integrity, the love of both fan bases. A bunch.

Indeed, it was his behavior that caused his downfall. Though I have no idea what his personal issues are or what his marital life is like but based on what the public sees, it doesn't seem to be all that great. From the beginning it seemed his wife did not want to be in Lexington. Who knows, but based on my work with unhappy wives, I wonder if she saw bball had become his "mistress"....and if you are prone to that problem, Ky could be a problem.

Maybe the beginning of the overall downfall was COMING to Kentucky. Success can be a good thing if you know how to handle it and keep it in perspective.

I don't believe in karma but I do believe you reap what you sow. His behavior has resulted in sowing some bad stuff.

Still the jury is out on the Addidas thing. Personally, I'm hoping ul erred and the courts find Pitino had nothing to do with Addidas. Sure would not look good on ul.

Reactions: Cat78Scot
Mitch, Cal and UK won't let our fans take joking signs in there if there is even the hint of an offense being taken!

I agree with them. If your teams are good, let them do the talking on the floor. While I'm not a big bball fan, Ky bball is generally good enough they can make other teams and fans walk away disappointed. No need to be offensive.

Indeed, it was his behavior that caused his downfall. Though I have no idea what his personal issues are or what his marital life is like but based on what the public sees, it doesn't seem to be all that great. From the beginning it seemed his wife did not want to be in Lexington. Who knows, but based on my work with unhappy wives, I wonder if she saw bball had become his "mistress"....and if you are prone to that problem, Ky could be a problem.

Maybe the beginning of the overall downfall was COMING to Kentucky. Success can be a good thing if you know how to handle it and keep it in perspective.

I don't believe in karma but I do believe you reap what you sow. His behavior has resulted in sowing some bad stuff.

Still the jury is out on the Addidas thing. Personally, I'm hoping ul erred and the courts find Pitino had nothing to do with Addidas. Sure would not look good on ul.

Isn't that the definition of karma? Lol

Nothing has looked good on uofl for years! That lofty place that teams like UK hold? They tried taking a shortcut to those heights because they were driven by envy of their big brother.

Amazing that Sutton, as flawed as he was, saw the truth more than Rick did. You think he would have taken the uofl job, much less crawled on his hands and knees for it. He nailed that nickname.

The dirty birds tried emulating the same path UK took in modern times by hiring our old coach. But they didn't embrace their legacy, they tried to purge it by ousting a legend coach and making their old players unwelcome.

They destroyed the foundation they should have used to build on. Then propped it up with stupid slogans and a few Nana nana na's thrown in to big brother along the way.

The pimp and his dirty birds got what they deserved. Karma.

Isn't that the definition of karma? Lol

Nothing has looked good on uofl for years! That lofty place that teams like UK hold? They tried taking a shortcut to those heights because they were driven by envy of their big brother.
Apparently they have taken shortcuts. However, there is no denying their success across sports. While I put little stock in any sport other than Football, there's no denying Ky has been more successful since mb has been AD. That said, ul has enjoyed an even greater level of success in more sports with jurich.
Being clean and playing by the rules is an unmovable, uncompromisable standard but is not an acceptable excuse for not being as successful as those who don't subscribe to those standards. .

Apparently they have taken shortcuts. However, there is no denying their success across sports. While I put little stock in any sport other than Football, there's no denying Ky has been more successful since mb has been AD. That said, ul has enjoyed an even greater level of success in more sports with jurich.
Being clean and playing by the rules is an unmovable, uncompromisable standard but is not an acceptable excuse for not being as successful as those who don't subscribe to those standards. .

Yeah, I'll reserve judgment on their overall success as an athletics program until the dust has cleared. I think we've just seen the tip of the iceberg.

It really is amazing how vilified UK has been through the years considering the reality that has been hidden from all by those who slammed us. UNCheat, uofl, UCONN, Duke, Kansas and UCLA.

They all got away with much more than we ever did, some of them will never be punished for it.

Unless something comes out about UK it seems we were the cleanest of the bunch!

Yeah, I'll reserve judgment on their overall success as an athletics program until the dust has cleared. I think we've just seen the tip of the iceberg.

It really is amazing how vilified UK has been through the years considering the reality that has been hidden from all by those who slammed us. UNCheat, uofl, UCONN, Duke, Kansas and UCLA.

They all got away with much more than we ever did, some of them will never be punished for it.

Unless something comes out about UK it seems we were the cleanest of the bunch!

IMO, what unc did academically is much more deserving of ncaa sanctions that what any other school has done. The only role of the ncaa is to insure equity relative to competiveness; to maintain an even playing field. What unc did, by allowing athletes to take bogus classes gave them an advantage that other, legitimate schools could not enjoy. A unc player takes tiddly-winks class and remains eligible while athletes at legit schools struggle to pass and sometimes don't pass real college classes.
This does not minimize what ul did or didn't do. Just saying there is a different standard

Some smaller school...maybe even ul will pay dearly for what unc did. The ncaa will nail someone just to save face. IMO, the P5 schools need to leave the ncaa; form their own group; make their own rules and police themselves. If a school breaks those rules, kick them out of the super conference for a year or two. Let 'em play MAC schools

Most people would look at something like the game and the rivalry and recognize it has nothing, zero to do with real life. Outside Ky fans, bball and the ul rivalry mean nothing. It's just a game. Maybe not everyone would have done it, but I certainly would have and most men around the world probably would as well.

Coaching UK, ul, ut, uga, osu, etc....is nothing more than a job: a job coaching a bunch of kids playing a game...Nothing more. If you can make more money with another team or if one suits your family better, you take it.

It’s a little more complex than “coaching a bunch of kids playing a game.” imo

Despite some apologists , I’m still loving this $hit show that is UL Basketball now. Ricky P deserves everything coming to him. Deserved being fired. Deserves being lambasted in the media. You reap what you sew.
His ego was so hurt by Cal and UK owning him he just started Wildin out.

I remember like the week of UL winning the title , UK and their recruiting class (randle had just committed on tv ) was alll the talk of the sports world .Even with UK having just lost in the NIT we were still a bigger story than UL.

Pitino knew that nobody cared about UL really and it killed him that Cal was raw dogging him with no lube year in and year out.

I mean think about it. In the last 10 years UK has absolutely owned UL and Pitino. It’s not even close .
UL just got done with one , if not the best, stretches in their history... and even with Cheating (which has been proven ) they STILL weren’t up to par with cal and UK. That has to absolutely kill Pitino and UL fans.

Just ask @Steelers2017 @Steelers2012 :)

IMO, what unc did academically is much more deserving of ncaa sanctions that what any other school has done. The only role of the ncaa is to insure equity relative to competiveness; to maintain an even playing field. What unc did, by allowing athletes to take bogus classes gave them an advantage that other, legitimate schools could not enjoy. A unc player takes tiddly-winks class and remains eligible while athletes at legit schools struggle to pass and sometimes don't pass real college classes.
This does not minimize what ul did or didn't do. Just saying there is a different standard

Some smaller school...maybe even ul will pay dearly for what unc did. The ncaa will nail someone just to save face. IMO, the P5 schools need to leave the ncaa; form their own group; make their own rules and police themselves. If a school breaks those rules, kick them out of the super conference for a year or two. Let 'em play MAC schools

Agree totally. Duke and UNCheat seem to be able to do no wrong they can't wiggle out of.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT