ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Rick Pitino?

Honestly Im not making excuses for the guy. Hes probably always been a Narcissist from birth but many things have happened in his life and most by his own choosing. Losing his son and best friend are the two that I can think of that really probably struck him to the core. Then cheating on his wife all the time has to make you feel like such a piece on the inside and just being in the spot light for some people makes them crazy and amplifies the ego.

I honestly feel sorry for the guy.I know I know hes a millionaire and who cares right? But I do hate kicking a guy when hes down. Maybe some of this will humble him in the long run. Its really sad because honestly he is one of the best college coached to ever step on the floor and now all anyone is going to remember is what he did the last 3 years of his career.

I do catch myself wondering if he didn't know. I mean it still his fault cdause he is the coach and he should be fire. It happened TWICE in the last 3 years.. but Im almost inclined to believe that didnt know and that sucks for him.

In the long run, its college athletics and in the grand scheme of things it is nothing compared to the rest of life. If I was him id spend as much time as I could with my kids, grand kids, wife etc.... and leave a good legacy with my family because the only important thing is the thoughts and memories that your family has about you when you are gone not what UL or UK fans, or the NCAA think for that matter.

Honestly curious- how can you possibly feel bad for him ? Let’s not forget the Bledsoe transcripts... him trying to get us to hire some shmuck after Billy G... cheating on his wife and having sex on a restaurant table ... paying for an abortion (university funds ) having an equipment manager marry Sypher ... providing prostitutes for children ... paying recruits...

Feel bad for him ?

Dunno what happened. I can make wild guesses, that's all.
I was as giggly as everyone else when this first broke, but now as it goes into the after fired stage it's just sad.
Piling on an opposing coach just isn't as much fun when you think about his family and the folks that cared about him. God bless Bill Keightlys memory....

The Pitino legacy COULD have been great. instead it's just greasy.

Oh it’s absolutely still fun. Rick and that cesspool known as UL deserve all the piling on as possible. Point. Blank. Period ;)

dumbsterfire.jpeg

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
OK so much for taking the “high ground”. Lesson learned and back to my comfort zone.

You really want to take up for that wore-mongering, cheating, lying, back stabbing, arrogant piece of filth flipping off the UK crowd or as you like to call them idiots? That's a bad look bro. Do you think coaches normally don't get heckled by the opposing fans? I guess we “small minded” UK fans are just the worst. Hmm...small minded UK fans...I wonder who coined that phrase? Someone help me out with that.

OK that felt cathartic. No hard feelings. I thought you and tluck88 wrote well worded, thought provoking posts. That being said, I will never support any sympathy for Count Pitino. He burned that bridge a long time ago. Not just with UK fans, but the human race.
a4ac77b73e82efcef9c0097e2ba36f89.jpg

Well said .

Sometimes we even have “snowflake UK fans”

Don’t take what they say seriously ;)

what the he’ll happened to Ricky p ?
He’s proven to be a habitual liar , a cheater , scary looking and just a downright terrible person.

But , correct me if I’m wrong , he wasn’t always like this ?

What happened ? Or maybe he just hid it better years ago
Character is formed early. I'd say his drinking has made his issues worse.

Pretty much this. Rick Pitino felt like he was the king of Kentucky and at one point in the late 2000s secured that role. Once Cal came rolling into town, he along with Jurich lost their minds because they knew the days of Louisville dominating Kentucky in basketball were over. That was when they started making preparations to switch UL to a win-at-all costs university to keep up.

This is off topic and I'm sort of just messing with you here.

When were these "days of Louisville dominating Kentucky in basketball" that you referred to?

In Pitino's 16 years at UL, I think he was only 6-13 against UK. Which means he was only 4-5 against the combined Tubby/Gillispie coaching dynamo.

We basically fought UL with one arm behind our back and they still couldn't muster a winning record.

Frank Rick came to Camelot and conquered and was loved by the Blue Masses. Then he left Camelot for a fistful of dollars and then failure. He should have taken the Michigan job but decided he would go to Louisville and divide the state. Except you can't do that at a City college. We all know the rest!

This man had my respect at one time but even now that is a faint memory!

This is also another thing that has been biting him in the ass since. It's easy to look back in hindsight, but had Rick stayed at Kentucky, he could've possibly had a dynasty here, maybe still be the coach here if things like Karen Sypher and Strippergate don't happen and enshrined himself in NCAA history as one of the all-time greats like Adolph Rupp and Coach K. Lastly, I think he would've been healthier as a person had he stay here and not have to worry about eventually playing second fiddle to John Calipari. Even then, had he still taken the Celtics job, went back to the NCAA, and chose Michigan, his reputation wouldn't have plummeted like it did. Next time Rick Pitino walks into Rupp Arena as a Michigan coach, he would've had a standing ovation instead of boos.

This is off topic and I'm sort of just messing with you here.

When were these "days of Louisville dominating Kentucky in basketball" that you referred to?

In Pitino's 16 years at UL, I think he was only 6-13 against UK. Which means he was only 4-5 against the combined Tubby/Gillispie coaching dynamo.

We basically fought UL with one arm behind our back and they still couldn't muster a winning record.

I thought he was 5-5 against UK before Calipari got here? What I meant by this was during a very small period in the late 2000s when Rick Pitino kept winning against UK and Louisville was on the up and up.Tubby did great against Pitino when he first got to UL, but that started to change towards the end and obviously we all know how well Gillispie did against Pitino. RP rebuilt that program within a few years and got them to a Final Four, while we couldn't get over the Elite Eight hump with Tubby and eventually saw the beginning of the collapse during Tubby's last couple years here with Billy Clyde putting the final nail in the coffin. The same year we went to the NIT, Louisville was the overall #1 team in the country expected to win it all (before choking to Michigan State in the Elite Eight).

Maybe dominating was the wrong word, but there was a small frame where it looked like UL was going to be the best team in the state for awhile before Calipari showed up and flushed that dream of theirs down the toilet immediately.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
He’s proven to be a habitual liar , a cheater , scary looking and just a downright terrible person.

"There are two kinds of pain. Good pain - the sort of pain that motivates, that makes you strong. Then there's bad pain - useless pain, the sort of pain that's only suffering. I welcome the former. I have no patience for the latter."

I am experiencing good pain. I've been framed but will be exonerated. I will come out a better man, a Louisville man, on the other side. You on the other hand... if you don't take my name out of your damn mouth I'm gonna give you the bad pain.

This is also another thing that has been biting him in the ass since. It's easy to look back in hindsight, but had Rick stayed at Kentucky, he could've possibly had a dynasty here, maybe still be the coach here if things like Karen Sypher and Strippergate don't happen and enshrined himself in NCAA history as one of the all-time greats like Adolph Rupp and Coach K. Lastly, I think he would've been healthier as a person had he stay here and not have to worry about eventually playing second fiddle to John Calipari. Even then, had he still taken the Celtics job, went back to the NCAA, and chose Michigan, his reputation wouldn't have plummeted like it did. Next time Rick Pitino walks into Rupp Arena as a Michigan coach, he would've had a standing ovation instead of boos.

I thought he was 5-5 against UK before Calipari got here? What I meant by this was during a very small period in the late 2000s when Rick Pitino kept winning against UK and Louisville was on the up and up.Tubby did great against Pitino when he first got to UL, but that started to change towards the end and obviously we all know how well Gillispie did against Pitino. RP rebuilt that program within a few years and got them to a Final Four, while we couldn't get over the Elite Eight hump with Tubby and eventually saw the beginning of the collapse during Tubby's last couple years here with Billy Clyde putting the final nail in the coffin. The same year we went to the NIT, Louisville was the overall #1 team in the country expected to win it all (before choking to Michigan State in the Elite Eight).

Maybe dominating was the wrong word, but there was a small frame where it looked like UL was going to be the best team in the state for awhile before Calipari showed up and flushed that dream of theirs down the toilet immediately.

He may have been 5-5, not sure. Didn't go back to check, was just going off the top of my head.

I hear where you're coming from. Was just busting your chops a bit over characterizing that as dominating.

Reactions: Saven
I harbor no malice toward the guy. He came to UK and did what no other coach at the time could have done. For that, I'll be forever grateful. Don't blame him for taking the Celtics job as it is the premier job in all of bball; like managing the Yankees. As for going to UL, it was the best job available at the time; had nothing to do with UK and was not a slap at UK. Most guys looking for a job would have done the same thing. He is quoted as saying the worst mistake he ever made was leaving UK.

As for the current situation, if everything is as preliminary reports say, he is suffering the appropriate consequence.

IMO, you can look at him and tell he is a very sad person. All the trappings of success; being revered as one of the top coaches in the nation; having access to women (at least one) apparently didn't satisfy whatever he was looking for. IMO, he needs a therapist and/ or a pastor.
Wish him the best.

Nope and nope. Most guys wouldn't do that. Anyone with any intelligence would understand the dynamics of the UK UofL rivalry and the passion of UK fans after spending even a few years here.

Now if you're full of yourself you may not notice something like that or not care about it. Either way he miscalculated and karma caught up with him.

This 'anyone would have done it' apologist attitude is the same crap UoL fans try to sell now they've been busted cheating. Not buying it.

"There are two kinds of pain. Good pain - the sort of pain that motivates, that makes you strong. Then there's bad pain - useless pain, the sort of pain that's only suffering. I welcome the former. I have no patience for the latter."

I am experiencing good pain. I've been framed but will be exonerated. I will come out a better man, a Louisville man, on the other side. You on the other hand... if you don't take my name out of your damn mouth I'm gonna give you the bad pain.

Frank's ready coach....grab joann and lie down.

Probably the same response most other guys would give when idiots are yelling obscenities at him.

Yeah, no other coaches have to hear crap like poor old Rick. Cal didn't have an entire student section chanting at him at Missouri last year. Has ANY other coach done this?!

Apologists

Reactions: morgousky
Not really sure what he did in Lexington, there were rumors of course. We ate at his restaurant downtown several times but the staff made sure that he wasn’t bothered while eating which I can understand. Some were actually glad he left at the time but I never knew any real reasons why. One interesting thing while at the Celtics, his assistant Winston Bennett had an affair and Rick raked him over the coals in the press and forced him to take marriage and sexual behavior classes because of it. I guess it became “do as I say not as I do.”

I totally forgot about his reaction to Bennet's affair. F'ing hypocrit!

Honestly curious- how can you possibly feel bad for him ? Let’s not forget the Bledsoe transcripts... him trying to get us to hire some shmuck after Billy G... cheating on his wife and having sex on a restaurant table ... paying for an abortion (university funds ) having an equipment manager marry Sypher ... providing prostitutes for children ... paying recruits...

Feel bad for him ?

Sigh......

*gulp....

(pops knuckles)

Okay, Grew up going to lexington and when I was 10ish my dad took me to Pitino father son camp. Time of my life. Being from Tennessee Pitino was a source of pride growing up around my friends. They could bash me for being a UK fan, but they couldn't touch Pitino. All of them wanted him at their programs.

Growing up I worshiped the ground he walked on. I met him many times in Lexington on trips with my fam / alumni group. He was nearly God like to me. I remember the morning my dad told me he was gone, I was a crushed little guy. I seriously cried, like the Duke kid.

My childhood heros were....

1. Ozzie Smith
2. Rick Pitino
3. Newt Gingrich
4. Jeff Sheppard
5. Ken Griffey Jr. (Seattle Griffey, the real one)
6. my grandfather (WW2)

So I guess it's not that I feel sorry for him, it just to this day feels like I lost a family member. I have some nice memorabilia, and I have a lot of Rick at UK. Can't bring myself to touch it, another reason why I don't want him removed from our rafters.

I sound like a bit of an apologist, but I'm not. I just think there are two different men, at least I hope.

While that sounds good and all, it's simply not true, at least with criminal types and sociopaths, they're often much worse than people ever know. The hero thing seems about right.
I hate UL as much as everyone, but you don't know everything...and you don't know this situation 100%.

Reactions: ram1955
Obviously, most have forgotten the Marvin Stone episode foisted on us by this ego maniac. He is a small minded, vengeful little POS.

This kind of stuff started making me so angry.

The thing that killed me the most?

"Pitino players in the NBA" on their f'n practice wall.

Delk
Mercer
McCarty
Washburn

All used to bolster Louisville recruiting. That's when I really, really started to despise Louisville. Growing up I really didn't know anything about them. But that kind of sht really made me hate, with passion, that institution. Even then I had a hard time blaming it on rick when in fact it was ALL HIS FAULT.

I felt it diminished our history, and still do.

Obviously, most have forgotten the Marvin Stone episode foisted on us by this ego maniac. He is a small minded, vengeful little POS.

That's why I have little time for this revisionist history bs we are inevitably going to have stuffed down our throats. This chancer got what was coming to him. If you don't live in Louisville you haven't seen and heard the constant stream of cow dung coming from his lips that was devoured and repeated by their low class fan base.

He LONG ago used up any goodwill he earned at UK by his sly insults and underhanded agenda with his press buddies and others.

All of this couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy and group. Believe me.

This kind of stuff started making me so angry.

The thing that killed me the most?

"Pitino players in the NBA" on their f'n practice wall.

Delk
Mercer
McCarty
Washburn

All used to bolster Louisville recruiting. That's when I really, really started to despise Louisville. Growing up I really didn't know anything about them. But that kind of sht really made me hate, with passion, that institution. Even then I had a hard time blaming it on rick when in fact it was ALL HIS FAULT.

I felt it diminished our history, and still do.

Honestly I just laughed at that. UK players on THEIR wall! Would we EVER do that? In ANY sport?

Such a little brother thing to do.

Honestly I just laughed at that. UK players on THEIR wall! Would we EVER do that? In ANY sport?

Such a little brother thing to do.

That's true. Didn't look at it like that at the time.

But man, when he was fired, the first thing I thought was thank God anything UK related from his time now comes down, and this ends the connection.

But what do you do? I've got signed coaches pictures (together), game used signed Pitino floor from 96, countless signed balls, jerseys, coaches signed jersey individually auto's and numbered, Pitino right there in it.

I've got to make it work somehow. Being a guy who travels and does a lot with autographs and shows with my father, boy, it puts us in a difficult spot. Similar to Pujols leaving STL for us.

But man, when he was fired, the first thing I thought was thank God anything UK related from his time now comes down, and this ends the connection.

But what do you do? I've got signed coaches pictures (together), game used signed Pitino floor from 96, countless signed balls, jerseys, coaches signed jersey individually auto's and numbered, Pitino right there in it.

I've got to make it work somehow. Being a guy who travels and does a lot with autographs and shows with my father, boy, it puts us in a difficult spot. Similar to Pujols leaving STL for us.

Yeah, you have to keep that stuff man. That's UK history and that was the best of Rick. Before social media and private lives coming into the public domain. Seems like we lucked out in our timing with him that's for sure.

I had a signed copy of his book. Just bought it that way though so it became bonfire fuel shortly after he joined the dirty birds.

Sigh......

*gulp....

(pops knuckles)

Okay, Grew up going to lexington and when I was 10ish my dad took me to Pitino father son camp. Time of my life. Being from Tennessee Pitino was a source of pride growing up around my friends. They could bash me for being a UK fan, but they couldn't touch Pitino. All of them wanted him at their programs.

Growing up I worshiped the ground he walked on. I met him many times in Lexington on trips with my fam / alumni group. He was nearly God like to me. I remember the morning my dad told me he was gone, I was a crushed little guy. I seriously cried, like the Duke kid.

My childhood heros were....

1. Ozzie Smith
2. Rick Pitino
3. Newt Gingrich
4. Jeff Sheppard
5. Ken Griffey Jr. (Seattle Griffey, the real one)
6. my grandfather (WW2)

So I guess it's not that I feel sorry for him, it just to this day feels like I lost a family member. I have some nice memorabilia, and I have a lot of Rick at UK. Can't bring myself to touch it, another reason why I don't want him removed from our rafters.

I sound like a bit of an apologist, but I'm not. I just think there are two different men, at least I hope.

Fair enough.

And YES to Ken Griffy Jr. I ADORED him. Him and bo Jackson. I collected both of their baseball cards. My mom used to take me to Woolworths (anyone remember that place ?) in st Matthews by the old vogue theater and buy me a pack of cards (only like once every couple weeks- (we were poor growing up )
But I would get soooo freaking excited when I got a Griffey or Bo.

Years ago he was surrounded by pretty normal and responsible people and acted within those parameters. Then he moved down the road and was surrounded by the "ville" crew and he began to think and act just like them.

Guess if you feed with pigs pretty soon you get to like the slop.

Reactions: Kybluedude
He was unlikable when he was at Kentucky, but it was just a different era. There was no social media. Information didn't spread as quickly, etc.

But to answer the question, Calipari happened. UofL just had one of the best stretches it in history. But Big Brother, just an hour down the road, was even better. It just ate him alive.

Fair enough.

And YES to Ken Griffy Jr. I ADORED him. Him and bo Jackson. I collected both of their baseball cards. My mom used to take me to Woolworths (anyone remember that place ?) in st Matthews by the old vogue theater and buy me a pack of cards (only like once every couple weeks- (we were poor growing up )
But I would get soooo freaking excited when I got a Griffey or Bo.
Was just posting in another thread about going to the hallmark store in our mall to buy different packs praying to God I pulled a Griffey. Lol. Still collect him just different cards today of course.

We’re from the same school.

I have a bit of a different take. I think Pitino is a very sad man, broken in many ways. He lost a young child. No parent should ever have to shoulder that pain, but it happens. Then he decided to chase a dream with the Celtics, but it blew up in his face.

To make the Celtics fiasco worse, he left UK, where he was adored, and couldn't get back to UK. I really believe that decision haunts him to this day. Next came 9/11 and his best friend and brother-in-law was killed in the attack.

Finally, in order to try to regain his former fame, he took the only Kentucky job available. I really believe he was shocked that so many who used to adore him now reviled him.

Then Cal came to UK. That was the point of no return for Pitino.

He is a sad and broken man and he acts inappropriately like most sad and broken men do. Part of me feels sorry for him. He used to be idolized by the BBN, but he is a grown man responsible for his actions.

He has done much of the damage to himself but at this point hating him feels a little like kicking a drunk laying in a gutter. He's miserable enough, I should just leave him alone.

I have a bit of a different take. I think Pitino is a very sad man, broken in many ways. He lost a young child. No parent should ever have to shoulder that pain, but it happens. Then he decided to chase a dream with the Celtics, but it blew up in his face.

To make the Celtics fiasco worse, he left UK, where he was adored, and couldn't get back to UK. I really believe that decision haunts him to this day. Next came 9/11 and his best friend and brother-in-law was killed in the attack.

Finally, in order to try to regain his former fame, he took the only Kentucky job available. I really believe he was shocked that so many who used to adore him now reviled him.

He is a sad and broken man and he acts inappropriately like most sad and broken men do. Part of me feels sorry for him. He used to be idolized by the BBN, but he is a grown man responsible for his actions.

He has done much of the damage to himself but at this point hating him feels a little like kicking a drunk laying in a gutter. He's miserable enough, I should just leave him alone.

Good post.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
Rule of thumb..
Nobody's ever as bad as you think they are. And your hero's are never as good as you think they are.

I have no doubt this is a good rule thumb. And I would say this was definitely true of Rick years ago. He was a known adulterer for years until he finally got caught with his pants down.

No...rick had a losing record to tubby...he was able to sneak 2 in against Billy g...congrats. And even then he could only beat Billy by 3 each time. He was 6-12 against UK total. 2-4 against tubby, 2-0 against drunk, and 2-8 against Cal. They never were the state's team, and only delusional uofl fans thought they were in the same stratosphere.

And no, if he put the same overall record he had at uofl here at the point in time when sypher happened, we would have fired him in combination with the scandal. When Sypher happened he had been at uofl 8 yrs. In that time he only advanced past the 2nd rd three times..including 2 NITs. In his 16 years total at garbage U he failed to make it past the 2nd rd 9 seasons, by comparison in 10 seasons, tubby never lost in the first rd like rick and advanced past the 2nd rd just 1 less time (6). And since uofl was cheating their ass off in 2012 and 13, Pitino basically has 1 final four in 16 years and his career was basically sh!t there until they had to cheat to keep up with Cal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat78Scot

Totally understand this perspective but he will never know, and by his own words, never care what any of us say or think about him. He's repeatedly shown this.

So we aren't making him more miserable, that tiny piece of his brain that knows the real truth about himself and his choices but mostly his fall from grace make him miserable.

Feel bad for him ?
You are right. Bad choice of words. I guess like another poster said, I just hope he gets his life turned around.

He made basketball in this state fun when at either program and the same can be said for Cal. Even though Cal has owned him, having those two guys going head to head at rival schools, making their little sly remarks about eachother every year has been awesome as a sports fan. We may never have that again in the state of Ky.

Nope and nope. Most guys wouldn't do that. Anyone with any intelligence would understand the dynamics of the UK UofL rivalry and the passion of UK fans after spending even a few years here.

Now if you're full of yourself you may not notice something like that or not care about it. Either way he miscalculated and karma caught up with him.

This 'anyone would have done it' apologist attitude is the same crap UoL fans try to sell now they've been busted cheating. Not buying it.

Most people would look at something like the game and the rivalry and recognize it has nothing, zero to do with real life. Outside Ky fans, bball and the ul rivalry mean nothing. It's just a game. Maybe not everyone would have done it, but I certainly would have and most men around the world probably would as well.

Coaching UK, ul, ut, uga, osu, etc....is nothing more than a job: a job coaching a bunch of kids playing a game...Nothing more. If you can make more money with another team or if one suits your family better, you take it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT