ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Rick Pitino?

FrankUnderwood

All-American
Gold Member
May 26, 2017
Bluegrass State!
what the he’ll happened to Ricky p ?
He’s proven to be a habitual liar , a cheater , scary looking and just a downright terrible person.

But , correct me if I’m wrong , he wasn’t always like this ?

What happened ? Or maybe he just hid it better years ago

I’d have to think some of the personality traits where there the whole time, but being at U of L whom will literally justify and believe any fabrication spewed as long as they win exacerbated it over the years creating the monster we see before us.

Also the stories of his infadelity have been around Louisville as long as I can remember, no secret that he was a cheater and egomaniac.

Pitino has been a narcissist the whole time. His behavior has progressively gotten worse as his skills and abilities have deteriorated. Now he’s gotta live with that tattoo!!

I believe after he won the 96 championship when the team went to the white house him and Bill got into some crazy shit.. Both look like hell now. He may may have aids or something

Reactions: JoeBeeHall
I harbor no malice toward the guy. He came to UK and did what no other coach at the time could have done. For that, I'll be forever grateful. Don't blame him for taking the Celtics job as it is the premier job in all of bball; like managing the Yankees. As for going to UL, it was the best job available at the time; had nothing to do with UK and was not a slap at UK. Most guys looking for a job would have done the same thing. He is quoted as saying the worst mistake he ever made was leaving UK.

As for the current situation, if everything is as preliminary reports say, he is suffering the appropriate consequence.

IMO, you can look at him and tell he is a very sad person. All the trappings of success; being revered as one of the top coaches in the nation; having access to women (at least one) apparently didn't satisfy whatever he was looking for. IMO, he needs a therapist and/ or a pastor.
Wish him the best.

This happened...

Pretty much this. Rick Pitino felt like he was the king of Kentucky and at one point in the late 2000s secured that role. Once Cal came rolling into town, he along with Jurich lost their minds because they knew the days of Louisville dominating Kentucky in basketball were over. That was when they started making preparations to switch UL to a win-at-all costs university to keep up.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
As for going to UL, it was the best job available at the time; had nothing to do with UK and was not a slap at UK.
At the time it wasn't intended to be a slap at U.K. but he just knew in his little heart BBN was going to dump the cats and follow him to support UofL. When that didn't happen the brain worms started working overtime on him. Then we hire coach Cal and any thought of being anything other than little brother really pushed him over the edge.

Honestly Im not making excuses for the guy. Hes probably always been a Narcissist from birth but many things have happened in his life and most by his own choosing. Losing his son and best friend are the two that I can think of that really probably struck him to the core. Then cheating on his wife all the time has to make you feel like such a piece on the inside and just being in the spot light for some people makes them crazy and amplifies the ego.

I honestly feel sorry for the guy.I know I know hes a millionaire and who cares right? But I do hate kicking a guy when hes down. Maybe some of this will humble him in the long run. Its really sad because honestly he is one of the best college coached to ever step on the floor and now all anyone is going to remember is what he did the last 3 years of his career.

I do catch myself wondering if he didn't know. I mean it still his fault cdause he is the coach and he should be fire. It happened TWICE in the last 3 years.. but Im almost inclined to believe that didnt know and that sucks for him.

In the long run, its college athletics and in the grand scheme of things it is nothing compared to the rest of life. If I was him id spend as much time as I could with my kids, grand kids, wife etc.... and leave a good legacy with my family because the only important thing is the thoughts and memories that your family has about you when you are gone not what UL or UK fans, or the NCAA think for that matter.

Reactions: University-6
Honestly Im not making excuses for the guy. Hes probably always been a Narcissist from birth but many things have happened in his life and most by his own choosing. Losing his son and best friend are the two that I can think of that really probably struck him to the core. Then cheating on his wife all the time has to make you feel like such a piece on the inside and just being in the spot light for some people makes them crazy and amplifies the ego.

I honestly feel sorry for the guy.I know I know hes a millionaire and who cares right? But I do hate kicking a guy when hes down. Maybe some of this will humble him in the long run. Its really sad because honestly he is one of the best college coached to ever step on the floor and now all anyone is going to remember is what he did the last 3 years of his career.

I do catch myself wondering if he didn't know. I mean it still his fault cdause he is the coach and he should be fire. It happened TWICE in the last 3 years.. but Im almost inclined to believe that didnt know and that sucks for him.

In the long run, its college athletics and in the grand scheme of things it is nothing compared to the rest of life. If I was him id spend as much time as I could with my kids, grand kids, wife etc.... and leave a good legacy with my family because the only important thing is the thoughts and memories that your family has about you when you are gone not what UL or UK fans, or the NCAA think for that matter.
When I read your post my first instinct was to tear apart the comments of thinking he did not know anything and your empathy for the “man”. After taking a breath and reading it again I will say this. You are a kind man with a forgiving soul. The world needs more of that. I also decline from crapping on your fond memories of his time at UK.

As to what Count Pitino thinks of you and the BBN I give exhibit A.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Syphilis_4618c3_603623.jpg

Reactions: EastKYWildcat

EXACTLY!

Reactions: tluck88
When I read your post my first instinct was to tear apart the comments of thinking he did not know anything and your empathy for the “man”. After taking a breath and reading it again I will say this. You are a kind man with a forgiving soul. The world needs more of that. I also decline from crapping on your fond memories of his time at UK.

As to what Count Pitino thinks of you and the BBN I give exhibit A.
Probably the same response most other guys would give when idiots are yelling obscenities at him.

Dunno what happened. I can make wild guesses, that's all.
I was as giggly as everyone else when this first broke, but now as it goes into the after fired stage it's just sad.
Piling on an opposing coach just isn't as much fun when you think about his family and the folks that cared about him. God bless Bill Keightlys memory....

The Pitino legacy COULD have been great. instead it's just greasy.

Kentucky basketball is one of those name brands that makes or breaks you, like the Yankees, Celtics or Cowboys. Kentucky helped Pitino become a household name in the early to mid 1990's (with all due respect to what he did with Providence and the Knicks), and it broke him late in his tenure at Louisville trying to keep up with Calipari and what he was doing on the big stage at Kentucky.

He’s proven to be a habitual liar , a cheater , scary looking and just a downright terrible person.

Not really sure what he did in Lexington, there were rumors of course. We ate at his restaurant downtown several times but the staff made sure that he wasn’t bothered while eating which I can understand. Some were actually glad he left at the time but I never knew any real reasons why. One interesting thing while at the Celtics, his assistant Winston Bennett had an affair and Rick raked him over the coals in the press and forced him to take marriage and sexual behavior classes because of it. I guess it became “do as I say not as I do.”

He looks like a very sad person. Life is not meant to be that way, but it sometimes goes with our choices.

At the time it wasn't intended to be a slap at U.K. but he just knew in his little heart BBN was going to dump the cats and follow him to support UofL. When that didn't happen the brain worms started working overtime on him. Then we hire coach Cal and any thought of being anything other than little brother really pushed him over the edge.
The mistake we made was not firing ts and hiring him when the celtics fired him. Had he stayed at Ky, he would have built a dynasty.

I always wondered why the administration didn't have the ba!!s to play a clip of him saying "The worst mistake I ever made was leaving Kentucky" when he walked out for the ul/ Ky games at Rupp.

The mistake we made was not firing ts and hiring him when the celtics fired him. Had he stayed at Ky, he would have built a dynasty.

I always wondered why the administration didn't have the ba!!s to play a clip of him saying "The worst mistake I ever made was leaving Kentucky" when he walked out for the ul/ Ky games at Rupp.

And may have brought it down.

Sadly, Rick is an egomaniac with low moral character. Consider the things we know about, that are actually public, then consider the likelihood that there is much more where that came from (it just never became public).

He was always dishonest. We knew that at UK.

Now, take all the terrible things he did, including things we never knew about, but perhaps his wife and family did. Then, imagine dealing with the weight of that on a continual basis.

Consider how he feels when he looks his wife and children in the eyes - assuming he even tries to do that.

What goes through his mind when he tries to sleep? What's the first thing he thinks about when he wakes up in the morning? It's constant.

Now, back to the lying. If you've ever told a lie, you have likely experienced the emotion that comes with it. It can (and should) make you feel so guilty, that deep down, in order to allow yourself to tell it (or to not later came clean), you sometimes try and convince yourself that what you are saying is actually the truth. The temptation is to create an alternate reality of what is truth, so as to allow yourself to move forward. (E.g. "I've already been vindicated.")
The big problem arises when the same issue arises again, and you are either forced to come clean, or tell another lie to cover up the old one. Most people, as they mature, come to a point where they realize that this is an impossible way to live, both morally, and practically. There's no peace. Unless . . . you are mentally ill.

And I think that's where Rick is. He has been twisting the truth to create his own reality for the last 30+ years, to the extent that he, and only he, can reside in his reality.

You can't possibly deal with a person like that on a day-to-day level, because you can't trust anything he says or does. It has no doubt cost him countless of the most important relationships in his life.

He was really good at one thing. And that was coaching basketball. He could do that and be celebrated for it. It also provided an escape for him where he could basically be honest (from an X & O standpoint, anyway), and his lying could be excused as "coach speak".

For now, and likely forever, that part of his life is gone, and it's the only part that was apparently not in complete shambles.

Seeing his face, eyes, mouth, hair (plugs) during that interview 2 nights ago, showed the effects of all that. Let's all learn from it, and pray that Rick does, as well, while he's still got time.

Probably the same response most other guys would give when idiots are yelling obscenities at him.
OK so much for taking the “high ground”. Lesson learned and back to my comfort zone.

You really want to take up for that wore-mongering, cheating, lying, back stabbing, arrogant piece of filth flipping off the UK crowd or as you like to call them idiots? That's a bad look bro. Do you think coaches normally don't get heckled by the opposing fans? I guess we “small minded” UK fans are just the worst. Hmm...small minded UK fans...I wonder who coined that phrase? Someone help me out with that.

OK that felt cathartic. No hard feelings. I thought you and tluck88 wrote well worded, thought provoking posts. That being said, I will never support any sympathy for Count Pitino. He burned that bridge a long time ago. Not just with UK fans, but the human race.
a4ac77b73e82efcef9c0097e2ba36f89.jpg

I tend to forget everything after 1997 with pitino. The one quote that that they used to play on the radio the rang true pitino said was "Kentucky basketball tickets will be the most precious thing you have." That's the one statement I agree that pitino said when he was here.

Frank Rick came to Camelot and conquered and was loved by the Blue Masses. Then he left Camelot for a fistful of dollars and then failure. He should have taken the Michigan job but decided he would go to Louisville and divide the state. Except you can't do that at a City college. We all know the rest!

This man had my respect at one time but even now that is a faint memory!

OK so much for taking the “high ground”. Lesson learned and back to my comfort zone.

You really want to take up for that wore-mongering, cheating, lying, back stabbing, arrogant piece of filth flipping off the UK crowd or as you like to call them idiots? That's a bad look bro. Do you think coaches normally don't get heckled by the opposing fans? I guess we “small minded” UK fans are just the worst. Hmm...small minded UK fans...I wonder who coined that phrase? Someone help me out with that.

a4ac77b73e82efcef9c0097e2ba36f89.jpg

No, can't defend what he's done. Nor can any of us defend the crap we've done. Wrong is wrong. Him flipping Ky or any fans is wrong. At the same time, saying the kind of things I've heard fans say to opposing teams/coaches is equally inexcusable. Like Mom always said "Two wrongs don't make a right". Ky fans do it, ul fans, ut fans, notre dame fans do it and it's not right.

I simply hate to see any man's life go the route his has. It's obvious he is defeated and one gets the idea from looking at him, the things that really matter in life are no better than his bball life. Like I said, life's not supposed to be that way.

I harbor no malice toward the guy. He came to UK and did what no other coach at the time could have done. For that, I'll be forever grateful. Don't blame him for taking the Celtics job as it is the premier job in all of bball; like managing the Yankees. As for going to UL, it was the best job available at the time; had nothing to do with UK and was not a slap at UK. Most guys looking for a job would have done the same thing. He is quoted as saying the worst mistake he ever made was leaving UK.

As for the current situation, if everything is as preliminary reports say, he is suffering the appropriate consequence.

IMO, you can look at him and tell he is a very sad person. All the trappings of success; being revered as one of the top coaches in the nation; having access to women (at least one) apparently didn't satisfy whatever he was looking for. IMO, he needs a therapist and/ or a pastor.
Wish him the best.

I def don’t wish like physical harm or anything but wishing him the best ? Absolutely not. He’s an awful human being.

ADVERTISEMENT