ADVERTISEMENT

We just beat a 1-seed on their home court

IL Wildcat

Feb 20, 2003
Southern IL
I know Tennessee won't likely get that 1 seed now, unless they win the SECT, but they probably deserve that 1-seed based on what they've done this season. That could well be a tougher game than any we'll have to face to win either the SEC-T or the NCAA-T. That was quite an impressive win. This team is peaking at just the right time.

TN is lacking another consistent scorer to be a truly dangerous team. They are really good right now but might damn near be unbeatable with how they play defense if they had a consistent compliment to Knecht. That kid is a hell of a baller!!!! He scored today like I thought he would in Lexington. Always good to see a great performance from an opposing player when we pull out the win.

I like how the Cats proved to be a team that easily could have been (may still be) a one seed for what it means about UK's own chances to go on a Tournament run. They needed this outcome in a hostile environment to stop a good offensive team that scored over 100 in Rupp and score against a good defensive team as well. Cal utilizing the depth all season paid off when they were in foul trouble. Easily could run into this situation again in the Tournament and need your reserves off the bench ready to go. They were today.

Last edited:
This team has been very impressive on the road against Auburn and Tennessee. In both games the opponent went on a few good runs to really cut the lead and get the crowd into the game and we kind of just shrugged out shoulders, took a deep breath, and punched right back. They really could have folded today after Tennessee cut the lead from 14 to 5 in about 90 seconds, but they didn't.

TN is lacking another consistent scorer to be a truly dangerous team. They are really good right now but might damn near be unbeatable with how they play defense if they had a consistent compliment to Knecht. That kid is a hell of a baller!!!! He scored today like I thought he would in Lexington. Always good to see a great performance from an opposing player when we pull out the win.
Edwards was down to us and UT. Imagine how different things could have been if he chose them instead.

I know he's our 4th or 5th best scoring option, but I think he could have been a great compliment to Knecht.

Edwards was down to us and UT. Imagine how different things could have been if he chose them instead.

I know he's our 4th or 5th best scoring option, but I think he could have been a great compliment to Knecht.
The question would’ve been would Barnes give him the sort of leash Coach Cal did especially when he struggled mightily. Playing through the adversity has made him one hell of a player. I do wonder if other coaches would’ve benched him after a certain amount of games of clunkers. The fans had written him off as a total bust but he’s now showing why he’s a lottery player…

He was held to 14 the first game I believe

I know Tennessee won't likely get that 1 seed now, unless they win the SECT, but they probably deserve that 1-seed based on what they've done this season. That could well be a tougher game than any we'll have to face to win either the SEC-T or the NCAA-T. That was quite an impressive win. This team is peaking at just the right time.
Best win of the day on college basketball.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Oh wow you’re right. They have one of the better resumes I’ve ever seen in terms of number of top 4 seedish wins. We need to get in the Maui Invitational. They picked up 3 massive wins rhere
Our wins are better in my book. Maui is November ball. Fun and great but it’s not the same as March ball. We’ve beaten the Top 10 MET teams I. Late Feb early March. That’s WAY better in my book.

Our wins are better in my book. Maui is November ball. Fun and great but it’s not the same as March ball. We’ve beaten the Top 10 MET teams I. Late Feb early March. That’s WAY better in my book.
Agreed. Maui is neutral but we beat these teams on their home courts. That's huge! And, as you say, late February-March games are in a completely different category than November games. In Maui, these teams are still trying to get things figured out.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
IF, we could have stopped UNC-Wilmington from getting 3 Offensive rebounds at the end of regulation, kept LSU from making that last shot, Rob would've made BOTH Free Throws against Florida and we could have gotten one more basket against Texas A&M in regulation, we would have a 27-4 record with a #1 seed riding on making it to the SEC Finals.

This team is a few bounces away from being the #1 team in the country.

The records are of no consequence now. The season boils down to making MORE baskets than the opponents from this point forward. This team can go all the way if they just play with the AGGRESSION and PURPOSE they've played with to end the season.

Here's to 9 MORE wins!!!!

Should Arizona or Duke be knocked out in their first Conference Tournament game, that would give them 8 losses as well without a chance to improve their resume. Kentucky could move ahead with a run in the SEC Tournament. The committee says the bracket is set already by the time the SEC Tournament Championship starts on Sunday but there will be a chance to add 2 more wins before that. Still taking Kentucky over them with multiple of these losses, UK had injuries to several key players and without Big Z for over half of a season. Kentucky today should be viewed in a much different light than teams with a similar record around them.

Pretty sure Knecht doesn't choose TN if they have the #1 wing recruit coming in. Kinda like he didn't come to UK because of it.

Arizona lost to a mediocre USC team today. That probably keeps UT a 1-seed.

Yup, today of all days was the calmest I’ve been about any game all year. I felt all week we would win. I just feel like we right where we need to be.

The question would’ve been would Barnes give him the sort of leash Coach Cal did especially when he struggled mightily. Playing through the adversity has made him one hell of a player. I do wonder if other coaches would’ve benched him after a certain amount of games of clunkers. The fans had written him off as a total bust but he’s now showing why he’s a lottery player…
Most of these forum coaches would have benched him!

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Wanna know how BS and flawed the NET metric is. Kentucky won at the number 4 teams arena and didn’t move up any in the NET rankings at all. Arkansas lost @bama and went up 7 spots

The nerd numbers say he was -8

The nerd numbers say he was -8
Box score says he scored 40. That’s Forty in case you are numerically challenged. Also 6 points less than Kansas scored as a team yesterday. Also 5 points more than anyone has scored for us all season. Stop being an idiot and downplaying a hell of a performance. He played 36 minutes of a 40 minute game and his team lost, not surprising he was negative for the day. 🤡

What i was really impressed with is the way they took the game to Tennessee, they put some hard ass fouls on Tennessee and they didn’t like it Knecth you could tell was feeling it . You know when you play that trashy ass puke orange bunch they are going to do that to you and hope you back away but today Kentucky stood nose to nose and like Al Bunndy said “ Let’s Rock”

Reactions: IL Wildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT