ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s just cut to the chase - 1/2 seed

I am not worried about this team securing a 1 or 2 seed by year end. UK will definitely be in the conversation. Let's be real for a second, the team didn't show up at all in the first half and dug themselves a 14 point hole. They were feeling themselves way too much after the beat down against Miami, and Cal failed in having them mentally prepared for the game.

Looking back to 2020, UK lost to Evansville (much worse loss than UNCW) and Utah in the non con, as well as losing to an awful South Carolina team early in conference play. UK finished 25-6 and would have grabbed a two seed in all likelihood.

This year's UK team is much better than the 2020 team. While Saturday's loss was unacceptable, I look for UK to care of business and only get better as the season progresses to be right there in the conversation for a 1 or 2 seed.
Oh man I forgot we lost to Utah also that lol. Yeah we would have been a solid 2 seed. Good point.

Last year Kansas got a 1 seed with seven losses. The year before that there were two 1 seeds with six. 2021 a 1 seed had six losses in a shortened Covid season. 2019 a 1 seed had six losses. In 2018 Kansas got a 1 seed with seven losses again.

Bottom line, a 1 seed is still very much in play for this team.

Last year Kansas got a 1 seed with seven losses. The year before that there were two 1 seeds with six. 2021 a 1 seed had six losses in a shortened Covid season. 2019 a 1 seed had six losses. In 2018 Kansas got a 1 seed with seven losses again.

Those teams might be able to do that, but UK can't. Kansas also played in the Maui and already has multiple top wins including one over UConn last week.

Those teams might be able to do that, but UK can't. Kansas also played in the Maui and already has multiple top wins including one over UConn last week.
I'm not saying whether this team can or can't. I'm saying our record at this point does not eliminate us. But this thread is filled with people saying you need only three or four losses for a 1 seed when history says that is absolutely not the case.

We’ll be a 1 seed.

The CHC still whines about Evansville but that team went on to win the SEC by 3 games, apparently the SEC doesn’t matter to the CHC if we win it, and was a certain 2 seed. Most likely a 1 after we won the SEC tourney.

This team is better than that team.

• Haha
Reactions: NorfolkNWaypal
Now, that loss we took Saturday is almost assuredly gonna hurt our seed, unless UNCW goes on a tear. However, what do we need to do in order to get a 1/2 seed? I say we must win out the rest of OOC and win the SEC outright, dropping no more than 4 league games and holding serve at home rest of season. Then, win two games in SECT.
It’s way too damn early to be worried about this

Now, that loss we took Saturday is almost assuredly gonna hurt our seed, unless UNCW goes on a tear. However, what do we need to do in order to get a 1/2 seed? I say we must win out the rest of OOC and win the SEC outright, dropping no more than 4 league games and holding serve at home rest of season. Then, win two games in SECT.
I’d prefer to just win the SECT for once and stamping it there.

The cardinal rule of seed ceiling is that it’s always a longer season than it looks to be and several people ahead of you will always poop the bed.

So in theory you can always recover anything you lost from a bad loss in terms of seeding if you just win out. At least until February really gets going.

But in practice that never happens. In practice if a team has what it takes to win out then it doesn’t drop games to Richmonds or Wilmingtons in the first place.

Realistically our ceiling now is about a four seed and I’ll be awfully happy if we stay on the wagon long enough to grab that. Assuming Cal did learn some kind of lesson Saturday and gets back on the wagon to begin with, rather than just tanking from here on out screaming Ruuuun and clogging the lane.

We’ll be a 1 seed.

The CHC still whines about Evansville but that team went on to win the SEC by 3 games, apparently the SEC doesn’t matter to the CHC if we win it, and was a certain 2 seed. Most likely a 1 after we won the SEC tourney.

giphy.gif

I’ve been on this roller coaster enough times to understand that a 1 seed is virtually out of the question at this point. It honestly doesn’t matter what we do, the committee always seems to screw us. I wouldn’t be surprised that if we won out, they would still point to the UNCW game as a reason we shouldn’t get a 1 seed. So, unless all the other teams in our tier lay as big of an egg as the UNCW loss, a 2 or 3 seed will be our ceiling, no matter what— not because that’s right or fair, but it’s consistent with how the committee views us versus someone like Duke.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

I'd say pretty much cannot have more than 3-4 losses rest of year including conference tourney. Would need to beat Carolina & Gonzaga as part of that...no other horrid losses.

No, not really. We haven't even played any true road games yet and we are losing 25% of our games. That's only going to get worse in the SEC when we go on the road. We will have nine true road games. Think about that for a moment. There's a good chance we could drop four of them without blinking an eye. That would put us at six losses, which I think is very conservative. We will probably lose one more at home. If we're fortunate we sweep the SEC tournament and enter the NCAA tournament with only seven losses. But I think that it's probably closer to eight or nine losses when it's all said and done.

It's hard to say this early
I mean to be honest which is better in terms of resume .......beating a top 10 team in Miami and losing to UNC Wilmington OR losing to top 10 Miami at home but beating UNC Wilmington.

Big wins tend to help resumes more than bad losses. And who knows how UNC does the rest of the year. It's very possible that losses isn't as bad as we think it is

win the SEC. bottom line. win it. you won't get worse than a 2.

I'm not saying whether this team can or can't. I'm saying our record at this point does not eliminate us. But this thread is filled with people saying you need only three or four losses for a 1 seed when history says that is absolutely not the case.
People seem to forget that in 2009 it took a last second buzzer beater shot from John Wall to beat a terrible Miami (OH) team in Rupp. There are many games that could have gone either way in Rupp with some really good UK teams.

We’ll be a 1 seed.

Our conference is better this year as well so to me it's a push. While I love this team there's absolutely no way they get a 1 seed. Didn't beat Kansas and lost at home to UNCW. They'll lose 5-6 more games on top of the 2 they currently have.

This team will be fortunate to be a 4 seed. More likely a 5 or a 6. Still can't guard the PNR at the top. It's been Cal's bane of existence since forever.

I do not think this is as bad a loss as the evansville loss was a few years back. That evansville team was not good and got much worse. That was a loss that was going to drop us an entire seed by itself unless we won out afterwards.

The problem with this loss is that no title winner that i can find in the last 30+ years has lost a home game to a mid major. Title threats just don’t lose games like this. I think it has to do with coaches being able to consistently motivate their players to get up for games. That’s a quality that title winners have to have if they’re expected to win 6 games in a row against the toughest competition and that’s something that current Cal has struggled with that prime Cal did not.

Cal seems like he’s lost the ability to consistently motivate his team to play. Our longest win streak in the last 4 and now going on 5 seasons is 8 games in 2020. We haven’t won more than 6 in a row since. And never won more than 4 in a row last season.

• Love
No more OOC losses because we need UNC and Gonzaga as Q1 wins. Outright regular season SEC champ. No more losses outside of quad 1. Reach SEC tourney championship game.

I do not think this is as bad a loss as the evansville loss was a few years back. That evansville team was not good and got much worse. That was a loss that was going to drop us an entire seed by itself unless we won out afterwards.

The problem with this loss is that no title winner that i can find in the last 30+ years has lost a home game to a mid major. Title threats just don’t lose games like this. I think it has to do with coaches being able to consistently motivate their players to get up for games. That’s a quality that title winners have to have if they’re expected to win 6 games in a row against the toughest competition and that’s something that current Cal has struggled with that prime Cal did not.

Cal seems like he’s lost the ability to consistently motivate his team to play. Our longest win streak in the last 4 and now going on 5 seasons is 8 games in 2020. We haven’t won more than 6 in a row since. And never won more than 4 in a row last season.
Freshman dominated teams are not fundamentally sound so they are more apt to lose early games.

People seem to forget that in 2009 it took a last second buzzer beater shot from John Wall to beat a terrible Miami (OH) team in Rupp. There are many games that could have gone either way in Rupp with some really good UK teams.

That was mentioned quite a bit after the close St. Josephs win.

Matt Jones said Michigan St lost to a mid-major in 99 or 00, whenever they won the title.

Speaking of Mich St, there is something to be said about a team like James Madison being #35 in the country now in the NET. Similarly, UNC-Wilmington is #119, while Georgia Tech, who Duke lost to, is #142. I assume those numbers even out by Jan-Feb.

Matt Jones said Michigan St lost to a mid-major in 99 or 00, whenever they won the title.

Speaking of Mich St, there is something to be said about a team like James Madison being #35 in the country now in the NET. Similarly, UNC-Wilmington is #119, while Georgia Tech, who Duke lost to, is #142. I assume those numbers even out by Jan-Feb.

They lost to Wright State but it wasn’t at home. They were also missing their start point guard.

UNC lost to Santa Clara at the beginning of the 2005 season. But that game was in oracle arena in california and UNC was AlSO missing their starting point guard.

Title winners have lost games to mid majors. Just not at home.

They lost to Wright State but it wasn’t at home. They were also missing their start point guard.

UNC lost to Santa Clara at the beginning of the 2005 season. But that game was in oracle arena in california and UNC was AlSO missing their starting point guard.

Title winners have lost games to mid majors. Just not at home.
Well unfortunately rupp ain’t much of a home floor. It’s like a visiting teams paradise lol. Another thing we can thank cal for watering down the program to almost total apathy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT