ADVERTISEMENT

Was John Wall the best guard to play at Kentucky

Without question, Wall was the best PG we've ever had.

Many will say Ullis, because he's a heartfelt favorite player, but Wall could take over a game. Ullis was a bit of a liability on defense. You could put him in a screen and take any shot you wanted. The 4 always had to help.

Wall was the only PG that ive seen catch lobs and dunk on people. Fox did a little bit, but Wall would just poster you.

We've also never had a PG like Wall that could take a rebound and run through the entire defense and dunk it. Wall could also block anyone, from a guard to a center. One of my favorite plays was when he blocked UT's 3 pointer and nearly palmed it.

I cant believe this is even debatable....
This is where fans lose ALL credibility. Saying Ulis was a liability on defense. He was defense player of the year in the SEC.
Coaches were quoted many times Saying he wrecked their whole offense.
No more posting for you.

Reactions: UK90
Without question, Wall was the best PG we've ever had.

Many will say Ullis, because he's a heartfelt favorite player, but Wall could take over a game. Ullis was a bit of a liability on defense. You could put him in a screen and take any shot you wanted. The 4 always had to help.

Wall was the only PG that ive seen catch lobs and dunk on people. Fox did a little bit, but Wall would just poster you.

We've also never had a PG like Wall that could take a rebound and run through the entire defense and dunk it. Wall could also block anyone, from a guard to a center. One of my favorite plays was when he blocked UT's 3 pointer and nearly palmed it.

I cant believe this is even debatable....
He was the SEC defensive player of the year. Really? A liability on defense?

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
Wayne Turner the best so far end of story pg 96 97 98 he took the cats to 3 championship games during this span and won 2 of them Ralph beard only other guard that's close macy 3rd

Wayne Turner the best so far end of story pg 96 97 98 he took the cats to 3 championship games during this span and won 2 of them Ralph beard only other guard that's close macy 3rd
Turner was great. I'm not sure you can credit him for 1996, i dont think he saw the floor much. Maybe im wrong, but he definitely didnt take us in 1996.

Reactions: jeffky
Turner was great. I'm not sure you can credit him for 1996, i dont think he saw the floor much. Maybe im wrong, but he definitely didnt take us in 1996.
He was there I go by banners when critiquing players and their impact on the team and without Wayne Turner he was very vital in 96 Wayne really came on toward the end of that 96 season

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
He was there I go by banners when critiquing players and their impact on the team and without Wayne Turner he was very vital in 96 Wayne really came on toward the end of that 96 season
Well, this is a silly way-over simplistic way of thinking. Hell, by this logic, Robert Horry and Steve Kerr were two of the greatest players in NBA history …after all, they kept finding themselves on the rosters winning banners.

Turner was a mere bench player who got only 13 minutes per game on one title team, and he wasn’t even our best guard on the other. I loved the guy, but NO way is he in contention for “best guard ever” honors.

Well, this is a silly way-over simplistic way of thinking. Hell, by this logic, Robert Horry and Steve Kerr were two of the greatest players in NBA history …after all, they kept finding themselves on the rosters winning banners.

Turner was a mere bench player who got only 13 minutes per game on one title team, and he wasn’t even our best guard on the other. I loved the guy, but NO way is he in contention for “best guard ever” honors.
You got to come stronger than that not impressed

Old heads will remember Ed Davender. He was a great point guard so smooth, pushed tempo, distributor just loved his overall game when he played at UK.

Last edited:
How about this: Turner didn't play in the championship, had 2 points in 6 minutes in the FF, 0 points in 8 minutes in sweet 16. He had 12 points, 4 assists over the entire tournament. He was not a factor in the 1996 run.
Had 238 steals #1 Kentucky #4 in assists and 1170 points played in 151 games 3 final 4s 3 championship games and 2 championships again best guard to ever play at Kentucky

He was there I go by banners when critiquing players and their impact on the team and without Wayne Turner he was very vital in 96 Wayne really came on toward the end of that 96 seseason.
Do you honestly think that UK would have not won the tournament in 98 if John Wall was the point guard instead of Wayne Turner? Do you really think that the National Player of the Year and his 17ppg and 6.5 apg(3rd nationally) would not be able to do what Wayne Turner did?

Reactions: UK90
Bro is committed to Wayne Turner.
He (Turner) will always have a place in your heart if you watched him take a big ole greasy dump on Wojo during the Duke game.

Do you honestly think that UK would have not won the tournament in 98 if John Wall was the point guard instead of Wayne Turner? Do you really think that the National Player of the Year and his 17ppg and 6.5 apg(3rd nationally) would not be able to do what Wayne Turner did?
That’s a good question.

Turner was a game changer with his defense. He single handedly neutralized the other teams’ pg. Never out of gas. 3FF teams. Quiet leader. Love Wall - and maybe 98 wins it with him- but he sure would have changed the dynamics of that team - and as our pg on a more talented team no FF.

Had 238 steals #1 Kentucky #4 in assists and 1170 points played in 151 games 3 final 4s 3 championship games and 2 championships again best guard to ever play at Kentucky
Not debating whether he had a great career. Just correcting you on your incorrect statement that Turner "was very vital in 96."

Reactions: Doodah859
John wall had 4 #1 nba draft choices starting with him and how many banners did he get I am waiting

Tyler Ulis. Ralph Beard. Delk. Turner. It's hard to say. Talent wise? Wall probably.
Respectfully, Richie ... IMHO, neither Tyler Ulis nor Wayne Turner deserves to be mentioned in response to this question. Each of them was a great player who was an invaluable part of a great team, but ...
Beard played in a different era, of course - but he was so much better than his contemporaries that he's got to be in this discussion. Tony Delk and Louie Dampier were pure shooters - not drivers or distributors. John Wall was the consummate slasher and distributor on the break, but not a shooter.
Alluding to I what I think you were saying, Wall was clearly the best athlete of the four.
And after I finished this post the first time ... I forgot about Fox and Monk, who IMHO are also in the mix for the different reasons.
A good question by Smooth.
Go 'Cats !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT