ADVERTISEMENT

Was John Wall the best guard to play at Kentucky

What’s funny about that?
Well I didn't quote you, but seeing how you are curious, I will give my OPINION.
He is 5-10, played in the late 40's early 50's. Not a chance in hell he would be able to stay in front of Wall, nor would he have success driving on him. He and his set shot would find it very difficult to get open looks against the much faster, athletic , taller Wall. John Wall thinks Beard was a horrible shooter. Played a couple years in the NBA as a 22 and 23 year old, now what was Wall doing at age 22/23 ??? Look, I get it, he played on the early Rupp teams that won ALOT and was a KY born player, BUT with players in today game, speed and athleticism is no where comparable.. You have your opinion, so by all means, share why Beard would be better than Wall ??? OH, and lets not even bring up the point shaving and gambling scandal,, SHHHHHH. SOME people give KY born players extra benefits, free passes, and overlook a lot of negatives, it amazes me how some people view KY players simply because they are born and breed. Fans talk a lot of shit about this player and that player today and how they do not care, or this and that. Well, at least none of them has been barred from the sport.

By the way, he was born in like 1927 or something. Played at UK late 40's and I do not think most here have even seen him play, I know me at 56, did not. I guess Alex Groza is better than AD, I mean he was on the same team and won like Beard. LOL. It is pretty simple, they was two really good players back in the late 40's / early 50's, and just simply do not compare to todays athletes. They did win a lot though, but not a lot of balanced, really good teams back in that ERA. It is why one team would dominate for several years, then another team (UCLA, etc.). This post will not be a popular one amongst the older / die hard KY born player fans, but it is the truth, Wall would be a lot better player than Beard. Another VERY unpopular opinion, Shaedon Sharpe caught a lot of shit, and deservedly so for how he did UK, but to me, Beard, Groza, and others involved in the scandal, did a hell of a lot worse. To me, I would rather have a never was than prop up a player and what they did. Let them bash begin, I am tough skinned and can deal with it. I can only imagine if the Harrison twins, Boogie, or any other player in the modern era would be treated if they did what Beard, Groza and others did while at UK. But hey, Beard was a Hardinsburg boy !!!! Loved UK.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
Define “best”.
Are we talking most talented, most productive, biggest winner, biggest impact?

Wall is in the conversation, as is Ulis, Macy, & some of the older guys.
That is the usual problem when discussing who was "best" - people will have different definitions of what makes the best and thus not comparing apples to apples.

Epps was a very steady hand and could run a team, but would not compare to Wall in talent and overall ability. So criteria has to be specific if you really want to do comparisons.

Reactions: crestcat
John Wall, he bad.

John-Wall-350.gif

What does your question have to do with anything? If you want to go with a point guard and I want to go with a shooting guard in a thread about guards, what does it matter?
Not my job to repeat my question until you’re capable of comprehending it. Maybe you just lack intelligence or something. Hopefully whatever burr that is up your ass works it way out I’d hate to think you go through life like that permanently.

Reguardless, it was an honest question about Meeks and Monk. I didn’t remember them being PG but I have slept since then.
Why do you keep harping on whether guys were PGs?

The thread criteria was simply “best guard”, it was not limited to those who played point. I presume we all agree that guys like Delk, Monk and Meeks were guards.

Not my job to repeat my question until you’re capable of comprehending it. Maybe you just lack intelligence or something. Hopefully whatever burr that is up your ass works it way out I’d hate to think you go through life like that permanently.
I don't have a dog in this fight but the thread title was not just PG's but "guards". Your question implied that it was only about PG's and Monk and Meeks both played the 2 guard and therefore shouldn't be mentioned.

You’re the one that is upset at my OP, asking a dumbass question about which guard position they played. You know the answer and the question you posed is totally irrelevant.

Most of you all must have forgot about Jamal Murray. I only saw him mentioned once and the guy that mentioned him had about 17 names listed

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
Well I didn't quote you, but seeing how you are curious, I will give my OPINION.
He is 5-10, played in the late 40's early 50's. Not a chance in hell he would be able to stay in front of Wall, nor would he have success driving on him. He and his set shot would find it very difficult to get open looks against the much faster, athletic , taller Wall. John Wall thinks Beard was a horrible shooter. Played a couple years in the NBA as a 22 and 23 year old, now what was Wall doing at age 22/23 ??? Look, I get it, he played on the early Rupp teams that won ALOT and was a KY born player, BUT with players in today game, speed and athleticism is no where comparable.. You have your opinion, so by all means, share why Beard would be better than Wall ??? OH, and lets not even bring up the point shaving and gambling scandal,, SHHHHHH. SOME people give KY born players extra benefits, free passes, and overlook a lot of negatives, it amazes me how some people view KY players simply because they are born and breed. Fans talk a lot of shit about this player and that player today and how they do not care, or this and that. Well, at least none of them has been barred from the sport.

By the way, he was born in like 1927 or something. Played at UK late 40's and I do not think most here have even seen him play, I know me at 56, did not. I guess Alex Groza is better than AD, I mean he was on the same team and won like Beard. LOL. It is pretty simple, they was two really good players back in the late 40's / early 50's, and just simply do not compare to todays athletes. They did win a lot though, but not a lot of balanced, really good teams back in that ERA. It is why one team would dominate for several years, then another team (UCLA, etc.). This post will not be a popular one amongst the older / die hard KY born player fans, but it is the truth, Wall would be a lot better player than Beard. Another VERY unpopular opinion, Shaedon Sharpe caught a lot of shit, and deservedly so for how he did UK, but to me, Beard, Groza, and others involved in the scandal, did a hell of a lot worse. To me, I would rather have a never was than prop up a player and what they did. Let them bash begin, I am tough skinned and can deal with it. I can only imagine if the Harrison twins, Boogie, or any other player in the modern era would be treated if they did what Beard, Groza and others did while at UK. But hey, Beard was a Hardinsburg boy !!!! Loved UK.
Comparing players from different eras is ridiculous. Different equipment different rules interpretations.

Beard dominated his comtemparies and won championships , Wall took an early exit with a loaded team

• Love
AsWell I didn't quote you, but seeing how you are curious, I will give my OPINION.

I backed Beard too, but that goes with the caveat that that when comparing him to modern players we rate him assuming he would have access to modern conditioning programs, nutrition and coaching. Beard as he played would likely not match up well with recent players due to the advances in these areas. But the raw talent is undeniably there, he is after all the only player in UK history to be a three-time first team AA.

I mean no disrespect to you at all. But Beard and Groza were considered 2 of the best players in the country during their time. Who's to say that if the they were in modern times and had all of the advantages of training, nutrition, technology, and health care that modern players have that they wouldn't be just as dominant as they were then? Offenses score more now but they did excellent for their time and could they not have scored more now in relation to today's offense? I'm gonna get criticized for this but just because they are white doesn't mean that they couldn't be as good now as they were then. Wall was maybe the most exciting player but younger people don't remember Dwight Anderson who was very similar. Kyle Macy maybe was the perfect point guard, he was the whole package but he doesn't get mentioned much. It's not about who's the winner in a one on one game but who's the best at making the team the best when it comes to guards. It's hard not to include Beard when you look at his teams' and personal accomplishments while at Kentucky.

You dont remember the games, huh? He had steals and played hard tho..
Seems clear you’re the one who either didn’t watch or didn’t understand the games.

Ulis didn’t just get steals, he was also a fantastic on ball and cover defender. Nobody is named SEC Defensive Player of the Year …and becomes the only player in history other than Anthony Davis to win BOTH the conference’s overall MVP and DPOY awards …by being a “defensive liability”.

You exposed a boatload of ignorance by calling him that.

Seems clear you’re the one who either didn’t watch or didn’t understand the games.

Ulis didn’t just get steals, he was also a fantastic on ball and cover defender. Nobody is named SEC Defensive Player of the Year …and becomes the only player in history other than Anthony Davis to win BOTH the conference’s overall MVP and DPOY awards …by being a “defensive liability”.

You exposed a boatload of ignorance by calling him that.
I clearly remember switches to get him on a bigger player, and then help came every single time. Sorry, he couldn't hold Wall's jock. Fox, Knight, were all better all around PG's.

Not one mention for my man Keith Bogans? He is 4th all time on the scoring list. Keith has to be one of the most overlooked UK players of all time.
He was in the same sort of spot as Anderson for me, as a guy who could be a guard but could be a SF, and played at the 3 a lot.

In fact, everyone else but you has forgotten the games.
Hahaaa.....the love for Ulis is top notch. You're right, he was the best UK has ever seen. And he wasn't a defensive liability in the NBA either, he was just used wrong. All hail Tyler, the very best!

Not one mention for my man Keith Bogans? He is 4th all time on the scoring list. Keith has to be one of the most overlooked UK players of all time.
Scoring list credentials doesn't seem to hold well, these days. Its kind of like saying youre the best of the worst. "We have 4 NIT titles"

In what world is Anthony Epps better than John Wall? Epps was never even the best guard on any of his teams.
He definitely was no where near the best. But I doubt 96 team wins it without Epps at PG. Remember the early season Delk ran point and it didn't go great. After tge UMASS loss Rick moved Tony to SG and Epps to PG and the rest is history.
Epps IMO was one of the most important players during the Pitino run.

Hahaaa.....the love for Ulis is top notch. You're right, he was the best UK has ever seen. And he wasn't a defensive liability in the NBA either, he was just used wrong. All hail Tyler, the very best!
So, if excelling later is the criteria, isn't Gerald Ford the best football player of all time?

Ralph Beard

Three time first team AA
Two time national champion
15th in scoring at UK
Olympic gold medalist
End of thread!

Let me add to this I mean it's all about winning CHAMPIONSHIPS and he won 2 heck our previous coach we just had couldn't win but 1 with all the #1 and #2 recruiting classes in 15 years. Then the cherry's on top he is a 3 time 1st team All American which is a HUGE accomplishment( name me any other Point Guard that's even close to this in UK's history), an Olympic Gold medalist, and 15th in scoring isn't shabby either!

Last edited:
You discredited your whole post with this ignorant line. Ulis was a fantastic defensive guard, one of the best backcourt defenders we’ve ever had here.

Or do you think he won that SEC Defensive Player of The Year award purely out of charity?
100% Ulis was one of the best backcourt defenders we've had at UK. He could play offense and defense. Great college player !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT