ADVERTISEMENT

"It's Time To Let John Calipari Go"

took the team,
Why do people keep acting like this is some big thing? It's literally standard practice for any coach these days. You leave for another school and you see if your current team and future prospects want to join you. Did Pope not take guys from BYU? Did Cal not bring guys with him from Memphis? Pitino took players to St. Johns.

You guys really don't know how this works in 2024?

Just imagine the upcoming madness towards Pope when he loses his first game here!

🤣
IDK, most of us realize this team is likely to lose around 10 games. But at least it's probable that once CMP figures out his best 5 lineup, that lineup will start and play the most minutes. Cuz he's like, y'know, NORMAL.

Reactions: KFuqua
The coach of 15 years just left last season, and it's the offseason with not much else to discuss. We are going to talk about him, just like we still talk about Pitino. GET OVER IT.
south park whatever GIF

Reactions: Killswitch24
You are lucky, the people who enjoyed them have to endure Disney destroying the franchise one worse show after another. It’s dead and they are spitting on the remains.

DISNEY destroying a once great movie or franchise? No way. They wouldn’t.

I’m into their trans school bus books myself, my sons love them. I’m always telling them how much better they are than the Magic School Bus was when I was a kid. These little guys love sitting around throwing on the ole satan costume and away we read. Little game me and the wife play at the end, she comes in and says CUT THEM OFF when it’s time for lights out at bed. They crack up so hard.

But yea I need to eventually watch star wars.

Last edited:
In over his head
Bad hire
Fire Pope
Fire Mitch
I wish we still had Cal

^^ Those will be the responses to loss 1 of the Pope era.
Just imagine the upcoming madness towards Pope when he loses his first game here!

🤣
Yeah , the “Cal is bigger than the program “ people are waiting for that . They’ll be celebrating big time .

Reactions: RunninRichie
Only from the “told ya so” idiots, Cal lovers and trolls. True UK fans would never have such stupid takes.

You’re severely underestimating the bi-polar nature of this fanbase.

If we beat Directional State U by 40 in November, we’re going undefeated. If we lose to Duke by 3 we’re NIT bound and Pope will never win here. After the next big win, back to the Final Four and Pope should be unanimous COTY. Next loss, back to gloom and doom.

In over his head
Bad hire
Fire Pope
Fire Mitch
I wish we still had Cal

^^ Those will be the responses to loss 1 of the Pope era.
That's not going to happen from any reasonable fan. I think that almost everyone realizes there a lot of work to do this first season under Pope and there will be some losses. No one is going to say they want Calipari back.

It’s all stupid. He’s a lightning rod coach who took a lot of shots at the fans, went to a rival, took the team, and we play him this season. It’s called drama and it follows Calipari wherever he goes. We are a blue blood program out to destroy him at his next stop. You’ve also got the Pitino / Cal thing and one of Pitino’s disciples took over.

In what world is this not going to be discussed for a long time? Stupid article and it’s stupid to believe something this dramatic won’t be discussed here and elsewhere.

Most of us were fine to”let him go”. I wanted him gone for a long time. But it will be discussed pretty constantly for a long time and if that’s a problem I’d bury my head in the sand until some years pass. I’m currently waiting on the “time to let Pitino go” and “time to let Rupp go” articles that I’m sure are on the way lol

***edit after reading

Tbh, it’s a poor attempt at clickbait. I just read some of it and it’s not worth the click. They’re literally telling everyone to stop rehashing the same things while they did nothing but rehash the same things. lol.
Thanks buddy you saved me the time from clicking on the article. To just let it go after the damage that moron has done to the program….. Not this homeboy….. I hold grudges and I will against Cal for as long as he’s around and close to the program as he will be…. You just don’t do what he did the last 5 years to the program and all is forgiven. The 9 -16 record , the 2 embarrassing NCAA tournament losses, the 1 tournament win since 2019 in either tournament, the using of the program for his personal gain, missing the NCAA tournament twice, All the teams we had no business losing too, let UNC pass us for the most NCAA tournament wins, our record against top 25 over the past few years, being the coach all time in the NCAA that wasted the most talent!!!!!

Thanks buddy you saved me the time from clicking on the article. To just let it go after the damage that moron has done to the program….. Not this homeboy….. I hold grudges and I will against Cal for as long as he’s around and close to the program as he will be…. You just don’t do what he did the last 5 years to the program and all is forgiven. The 9 -16 record , the 2 embarrassing NCAA tournament losses, the 1 tournament win since 2019 in either tournament, the using of the program for his personal gain, missing the NCAA tournament twice, All the teams we had no business losing too, let UNC pass us for the most NCAA tournament wins, our record against top 25 over the past few years, being the coach all time in the NCAA that wasted the most talent!!!!!

Nah I’m right with ya. Knew he’d try and burn it up on the way out and he did, but luckily he underestimated the program. He’ll crawl back down the road and pretend he didn’t do half the crap he pulled. Never forget. And the reason is imagine if Pope doesn’t work, that would create an Indiana situation on our hands started by him because he didn’t put the program ahead of himself. He should have been a goat here but you can’t get a guy like him to be selfless for one day. Hopefully we can look back and say hey, we corrected it, and look at the good years. But we can’t do that until we’re back on the right road. And I won’t until then.

He’s a good lesson in why you do t buy in to coaches unless they’re of the Rupp and K mold. Guys who you know have the programs best interests at heart. Until then you defend the program first. Never let your guard down with a guy like Calipari. He doesn’t care enough to do that.

You’re severely underestimating the bi-polar nature of this fanbase.

If we beat Directional State U by 40 in November, we’re going undefeated. If we lose to Duke by 3 we’re NIT bound and Pope will never win here. After the next big win, back to the Final Four and Pope should be unanimous COTY. Next loss, back to gloom and doom.
I’m well aware but they don’t represent the majority of UK fans. They are the whack job minority again made up of cal fans, trolls and idiots. No one of sound mind believes a loss to duke defines the season or teams potential.

I’m well aware but they don’t represent the majority of UK fans. They are the whack job minority again made up of cal fans, trolls and idiots. No one of sound mind believes a loss to duke defines the season or teams potential.

At some point though, you have to win basketball games. The constant excuse making for losing is how Indiana became Indiana. Pope will have to live up to the standard of UK basketball and fairly quickly. We’ve got a lot of NCAA records that slowly deteriorated under Cals watch. I will always love Pope and appreciate the value he’s placing back on the program itself but winning must be done quickly. I’d love to be in a position to give him 4/5 years and see what he turns into but he won’t get it because of the shape Calipari left the program in, sadly. We don’t want to be too harsh (fired year 1 for a loss) but we can’t sit back and make excuses like we did for Calipari over 5 years either.

I really believe Pope gets it though. He wanted to assemble a team to win right now because of those records. He knows he has 24 months to cement himself at the future coach.

At some point though, you have to win basketball games. The constant excuse making for losing is how Indiana became Indiana. Pope will have to live up to the standard of UK basketball and fairly quickly. We’ve got a lot of NCAA records that slowly deteriorated under Cals watch. I will always love Pope and appreciate the value he’s placing back on the program itself but winning must be done quickly. I’d love to be in a position to give him 4/5 years and see what he turns into but he won’t get it because of the shape Calipari left the program in, sadly. We don’t want to be too harsh (fired year 1 for a loss) but we can’t sit back and make excuses like we did for Calipari over 5 years either.

I really believe Pope gets it though. He wanted to assemble a team to win right now because of those records. He knows he has 24 months to cement himself at the future coach.
Agreed. It IS time to win now and one, two games does not make or break the season. It’s unfair to overburden Pope with the sins of Cal. He’ll win and he’ll win soon but overreactions and “sky is falling” mentality won’t do anyone any good. We must also remember than he essentially built this roster from nothing.

Agreed. It IS time to win now and one, two games does not make or break the season. It’s unfair to overburden Pope with the sins of Cal. He’ll win and he’ll win soon but overreactions and “sky is falling” mentality won’t do anyone any good. We must also remember than he essentially built this roster from nothing.

Yea I’m 100% on board with this season being not a wash really but not the standard to measure. The good news is it looks like he’s judging himself by year 1 in some way because he hit the ground running for great players. I was sitting low at the press conference and was thrown by how he didn’t make a single excuse and said, essentially, his standard and objective is banners and that’s it.

I still think this team is being underrated too. They look like a top 10 team to me. Stronger older players that are equipped with winning guards, excellent shooters, and top defenders. I honestly think we’ll realize early on this is a final four competing team. But if not I’m on board with watching and waiting for a while I mean the guy had a month to throw this thing together NIL or not.

Reactions: flacat22
Why do people keep acting like this is some big thing? It's literally standard practice for any coach these days. You leave for another school and you see if your current team and future prospects want to join you. Did Pope not take guys from BYU? Did Cal not bring guys with him from Memphis? Pitino took players to St. Johns.

You guys really don't know how this works in 2024?

No pope didn’t empty the roster at BYU he actually didn’t want to do that by his own admission. He took 1 recruit and 1 former player who tried to go pro and came back. The rest he didn’t touch.

Cal took zero players from Memphis to UK, he took a few recruits only and then recruited guys (like Bledsoe) or Wall to UK once he got here. He wasn’t even recruiting Bledsoe at Memphis, if Cal didn’t come to UK he likely would have gone to Florida according to both Matt Jones and Marc Maggard at the time.

have to look on Pitino but no, none of those guys emptied the roster and went after every single player they could get from their former team. Calipari did that at Arkansas. He went after nearly every single player he could take.

It’s not standard to try and poach your entire team and empty your roster for the coach especially at a place like this, no. It’s not standard practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT