ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner and Edward’s….

If DJ would take the attitude that he’s a distributor of the ball first and not looking to score on every possession he and the team would be better for it.
He had 6 assists. Does he need 10? 12? 6 assists is usually a pretty good number.

You just going to come in every thread to take a dig at DJ after his best statistical game?
I've got it, If DJ would have rebounded more, then this game wouldn't have been so close. Wait, no. If DJ had gone 8/8 from the line instead of 7/8, maybe we don't need overtime. How deep are you gonna dig your hole?

DJ FINALLY remembered what his STRENGTHS are:

-driving the ball
-distributing the ball
-finishing in the paint
-drawing fouls when bumped
-strong on the ball defense
-be the MAN at the end of games during crunch time
-make Free Throws, especially at the end when we really need it

He still took too many shots at 17 attempts, but I'll live with that when he can do all of the above.

GREAT GAME DJ!!!!!

He had 6 assists. Does he need 10? 12? 6 assists is usually a pretty good number.

You just going to come in every thread to take a dig at DJ after his best statistical game?
I've got it, If DJ would have rebounded more, then this game wouldn't have been so close. Wait, no. If DJ had gone 8/8 from the line instead of 7/8, maybe we don't need overtime. How deep are you gonna dig your hole?
I just want to see a point guard whose first intention is to distribute the ball. Not try to “get his”. I hope he’s an all
SEC player this season.

I just want to see a point guard whose first intention is to distribute the ball. Not try to “get his”. I hope he’s an all
SEC player this season.
Again,

Tell me what is distributing enough to make you happy. He got 6 assists.

Were you upset with John Wall when he went for 20 points because he didn't have enough assists? Steph Curry is considered one of the greatest ever, and he scores an awful lot. It's actually a positive for your point guard to score 20 points. Holy hell that you'd penalize him for it.

Reactions: gharding07
Again,

Tell me what is distributing enough to make you happy. He got 6 assists.

Were you upset with John Wall when he went for 20 points because he didn't have enough assists? Steph Curry is considered one of the greatest ever, and he scores an awful lot. It's actually a positive for your point guard to score 20 points. Holy hell that you'd penalize him for it.
DJ Wagners offensive game isn’t even close to John Wall or Steph Curry. I just made an observation that to ME he looks to score first and to his team mates second. I’m just growing tired of seeing him miss layup after layup and air ball three pointers. Be a distributor and it will come.

• Haha
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
DJ Wagners offensive game isn’t even close to John Wall or Steph Curry. I just made an observation that to ME he looks to score first and to his team mates second. I’m just growing tired of seeing him miss layup after layup and air ball three pointers. Be a distributor and it will come.
Would you be happier with his game if he went for say...zero points and 4 assists?

Some of you guys woke up this morning prepared to criticize DJ no matter what he did tonight. Thanks for letting me know I can't take you seriously.

Cats192 is either Milt or Dejuan.

Reactions: ck-2
Would you be happier with his game if he went for say...zero points and 4 assists?

Some of you guys woke up this morning prepared to criticize DJ no matter what he did tonight. Thanks for letting me know I can't take you seriously.
Sorry Mr Wagner. There was a thread this week about the weight of the world being on Wagner and Edwards. Your boy is putting the pressure on himself trying to be a hero instead of letting the game come to him.

LOL BOY YOU SURE DID GET ME GOOD!

No, I'm just someone who calls out bullshit.

On a night where a kid has 6 assists, we're mad he didn't pass enough. Some of you want to bitch and moan no matter what. This seems like an especially reason to bitch and moan

Last edited:
Reactions: bigbluemagoo
Sorry Mr Wagner. There was a thread this week about the weight of the world being on Wagner and Edwards. Your boy is putting the pressure on himself trying to be a hero instead of letting the game come to him.
You're such a ****ing idiot dude.

The kid had 22 and 6 in a close game. "Trying to be a hero" is something you say when someone has a bad game. He stepped up tonight.

Kinda what I thought. I have nothing against DJ. I hope he does great here, we need him to. I just think he could help himself and the team tremendously by letting the game come to him.

I mean, take shot at pointing out where he's wrong instead of just deflecting to the really tired "they must be related to who we're criticizing" trope. DJ played very well tonight. Led the team in assists, tied for the lead in points and shot 7/8 from the line. If he doesn't seek out his own shots tonight we probably lose. Reed had an off night on the offensive side of the ball and DJ stepped up.

Kinda what I thought. I have nothing against DJ. I hope he does great here, we need him to. I just think he could help himself and the team tremendously by letting the game come to him.
You STILL haven't answered how many assists you need to see to be happy. I'd love for you to define what you need to see from the kid. Because it sure sounds like you're determined to criticize him for something no matter what.

If before the game, you were told DJ would go for 22 and 6--everyone else would take that. You're saying nope. That's not good.

Reactions: Fox2monk
You STILL haven't answered how many assists you need to see to be happy. I'd love for you to define what you need to see from the kid. Because it sure sounds like you're determined to criticize him for something no matter what.

If before the game, you were told DJ would go for 22 and 6--everyone else would take that. You're saying nope. That's not good.
I don’t have a set number of assists or stats I NEED to see. Stats don’t tell the whole story.
We’ve got three freshmen guards and I’d rank DJ third performance wise of the three. If he’s going to start and play a ton of minutes that has to change. We can’t keep getting in a hole at the start of games and relying on the bench to even it back up.

…. We’re key players tonight. Moving forward n the right direction
They were. Played much better. Hoping this game got them going. Dillingham was good in 1st half.

Clutch plays by Wagner and Edwards. They made strides tonight. Glad to see them getting some confidence.

I don’t have a set number of assists or stats I NEED to see. Stats don’t tell the whole story.
We’ve got three freshmen guards and I’d rank DJ third performance wise of the three. If he’s going to start and play a ton of minutes that has to change. We can’t keep getting in a hole at the start of games and relying on the bench to even it back up.
So the guy with 22 and 6 played the worst. And the guy with zero and 4 probably played the best.

Sounds about right.

Reactions: Fox2monk
They were. Played much better. Hoping this game got them going. Dillingham was good in 1st half.

Clutch plays by Wagner and Edwards. They made strides tonight. Glad to see them getting some confidence.
We butt heads a lot, but I really appreciate you being a sane person. I think you only care about winning at the end of the day. We just don't always see eye to eye on how to get there.

A lot of these guys are going to criticize DJ no matter what. Don't care that he played good. Don't care that he turned it on in overtime.

DJ played his heart out on D. Wasn't always perfect, but man the effort was there. 7 of 8 from the foul line is what I've been looking for as well. He will learn to LIVE at the line.
He went to the paint tonight, he figured out some ways to score and get buckets on misses. That’s what he needed. The line is a great showing as well. 7/8 every game would be great.

DJ is the kid this year that no matter how good he plays, it won’t be good enough.

So the guy with 22 and 6 played the worst. And the guy with zero and 4 probably played the best.

Sounds about right.
Tonight Reed didn’t play as well. Reed did some things that the stat sheet won’t show. Played some good defense and had some big steals. He didn’t seem to be looking for his shot for some reason. But he had some turnovers too. Rob was 5of 10 and 2 of 3 from three in 26 mins tonight. But Wagner has definitely been performing behind these three. If you can’t see that you’re deeply invested in DJ.

DJ is the kid this year that no matter how good he plays, it won’t be good enough.
That’s not how I feel. If he plays within himself and within the team offense I’ll be happy. If Cal lets him be “the kid” who can do whatever he wants, showcase, log more minutes than other guys who are playing better, then he’ll be another “that kid” that was “someone’s son” or “couldn’t take his heart”. And that will be on Cal again. And that’s what some are afraid of with DJ due to Cal’s history with his family. And maybe that’s unfair to DJ this early in the season. But Cal has caused it.

The fanbase as a whole being a little too invested at times in in-state players (Sheppard in this case) can unfortunately lead to some hot takes about players perceived to be competing with them for minutes (Wagner).

Truth be told, I’m not sure Wagner was quite as great or quite as bad as the hyperbolic posts on both sides make it sound. He got a layup and 4 free throws late in OT after the game was pretty much in hand which boosts his scoring line quite a bit. Had St. Joseph’s made that last free throw, 16 points on 6/16 from the field in a losing effort would probably be perceived a bit differently than the reaction he’s getting now, especially since a couple of those misses were on forced shots down the stretch. On the other hand, he did have 6 assists and gave a mostly consistent effort on defense tonight, so it’s not a like he contributed nothing. Hopefully he keeps improving the more he gets a feel for the college game.

We butt heads a lot, but I really appreciate you being a sane person. I think you only care about winning at the end of the day. We just don't always see eye to eye on how to get there.

A lot of these guys are going to criticize DJ no matter what. Don't care that he played good. Don't care that he turned it on in overtime.
Wagner was a difference maker tonight. Also, hasn't been a turnover machine like some Cal PGs have been.

Edwards showed positive signs too. Follow up dunk was a key play. Game shouldn't have been close, but they made plays when they had too.

Reactions: Cats192

I think what he is saying is that DJ is not a jump shooter and should stop doing that. Stick to dishing and attacking the basket.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT