ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s Build A Staff and Roster

Rondo was not a Pitino guy
Rondo would have been a Pitino guy if Pitino had stayed, I have to think. Not sure he was all that fond of Tubby, if the Portal was a thing back then, I think he would have migrated to UofL before going pro. but glad he still shows UK love. but yeah, he's borderline Personality or on the spectrum in some capacity. He doesn't get along with authority all that well.

Most people think he would be a great recruiter seeing how he is a 2 time nba champion flashing them big fancy rings at recruits would help
And whether we like him or not Lebron talks about what a great coach Rondo would make, so having him gets the Lebron loving kids to buy in too.

Rondo would have been a Pitino guy if Pitino had stayed, I have to think. Not sure he was all that fond of Tubby, if the Portal was a thing back then, I think he would have migrated to UofL before going pro. but glad he still shows UK love. but yeah, he's borderline Personality or on the spectrum in some capacity. He doesn't get along with authority all that well.

Rondo could have signed with Pitino, but chose Tubby. Not sure what more affirmation there is.

Is Tennessee Tech gonna keep Pelphrey around much longer? He has a losing record there, could he be a pretty good assistant with Pitino/Donovan ties?
Supposedly, he was a great recruiter, but I haven't got a clue how good he'd be. I don't know much about assistants, to be 100% honest. I did well to know that Antigua was Cal's ace recruiter and Payne taught the bigs.

Anyway, while there might be a couple solid options with Pope already at BYU, we need people who are ready for the big time and have experience to match the atmosphere around our program. Nazr, Hayes, Padgett, and Pelphrey have a ton of experience in D1, the SEC, and the NBA.

Rondo could have signed with Pitino, but chose Tubby. Not sure what more affirmation there is.
I understand that, but I think Pitino at UK would have been more appealing to him, I think it was more of an Oak Hill/Nike/UK connection thing that lured him to UK at the time anyway.

Z I’m more skeptical about. Figure he’s gone, but the Sheppard/Pope connection might be strong enough to keep Reed in the fold another year. I honestly don’t think Reed is desperate to cash in just yet. He can make crazy NIL money and be an All-American, POY candidate by staying. He could tell Andy Beshear “Move over, I rule this state now”.

It would be awesome but Reed himself doesn’t really have a connection to Pope. Reed is a 19 year old kid. His dad played with Pope 30 years ago. I’m just not sure that’s enough to keep him from the draft with him being predicted lottery and high as 5-7. That’s like $20 million dollars lol.

It’d be one thing if he was predicted mid- late first round. I really hope I’m wrong.

Is Tennessee Tech gonna keep Pelphrey around much longer? He has a losing record there, could he be a pretty good assistant with Pitino/Donovan ties?
10-21 last year. This is probably his last go around as a head coach. At least for a while. Good assistant twice for Donovan. Some coaches are just better fit as assistants. Pelphrey, Antigua and Payne all had their run. Only John had somewhat of a decent career with winning records overall at South Alabama & Arkansas winning a tournament game.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
I would start by looking to see if UCONN’s main coaches want a raise and maybe look into staffs at Purdue, Creighton, etc.. similar styles and recruiting approaches.

Burks is a likable player with upside. He would be a hero if he decided to stick it out. Hart, Ugo and any of the recruits as well. Good kids.
Playing time for a team like UK is there. First class program.

Random roster-related question: why hasn't DJ Wagner entered the portal or declared for the draft yet? You know he's following Cal if he doesn't foolishly enter the draft. There's 0% chance he stays at UK, so what's the reason for the delay? Not one person cares to read his Chat GPT-generated "Dear BBN" Instagram post.
Wagner has a half million annual NIL contract in Lexington. He’s not leaving until he can solidify that else where. Cal won’t be able to do it in Arkansas so he’s most likely looking else where.

Keep Ulis he was the only one who would express concerns when Cal was drawing up plays in the huddle especially that lob by Reed.
I think Ulis is a future STAR coach in waiting.
Has the basketball IQ.
Love of the game.
Heart.
Drive.
Desire to WIN…..
Relatable with young men.
Prove me wrong attitude… as I score on you.

UK definitely needs to keep this dude around on our side.

I heard a Trilly rumor, the assistant coach that would be a big time hire has at least 2 players that would commit if we get this assistant to sign

I heard a Trilly rumor, the assistant coach that would be a big time hire has at least 2 players that would commit if we get this assistant to sign
There’s a lot of hype about this assistant coach. Let’s see if it works out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT