ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

Cal needs to go ALL IN on this guys. Watched 8 of his games this year he has first round potential!!!! Athletic, can hit a jumper, physical. He’s a lot like Terrance Jones. I think he has a couple credits to finish in order to become a grad transfer

He is a really great player.

He isn’t an nba prospect. The guy has a degree from Stanford. He did get to an elite 8 but the things he did at Kentucky he could have done elsewhere. Wherever Travis was last season his life would have improved. That’s what it’s like when your 22-23-24 the next year is always better

Also, all the guys Cal recruited would have been lottery picks no matter where they went, and Cal just rolls the balls out. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Looksbetterinblue
Regardless, a move like this is STILL playing in dangerous territory, whether it's Richards, Matthews, etc. It's one thing for lesser recruits to pick Kentucky, knowing they will have another crop of freshman coming in every year.. it's another thing for the recruiting period to be close to over, think you have 30 minutes next year, and then a better grad transfer comes in to take minutes.

Not saying it's inherently wrong, as some of this IS on Richards for just not living up to expectations. But could this scare off future recruits? It's worth asking.

Smh at the drama. The recruiting period for UK started the minute we lost to auburn. There are holes to fill. You can’t not fill them bc you’re afraid of hurting a players feelings. Taking another grad transfer would do nothing to hurt recruiting. It helps our program and that’s all that matters. Did taking Reid last year and him taking Richards minutes hurt recruiting for this year? I mean by this logic any player staying hurts recruiting. You have a complete team that lacks a big body. You just ignore the need and move on??? Dangerous territory??? Travis put us in dangerous territory?? You want championships or nba players choose

Also, all the guys Cal recruited would have been lottery picks no matter where they went, and Cal just rolls the balls out. Rinse and repeat.

80% or more of the lottery picks under cal would have gone lottery anywhere else. No doubt. List them and show me which ones wouldn’t have been.

Look at the other schools who get grad transfers, it doesn’t effect a kid from coming any more than a recruit from coming. If a kid wants to go to a school and he’s confident he will play (almost every basketball player alive) then a transfer or another recruit won’t sway them.

@Jakarii
He very well may stay. We don't even know if Blackshear is interested. I'm not SO concerned about this one use case. I'm concerned that we might be adding another level of "recruiting" that might deter the top15 to top50 recruits.

Reactions: Cawood86
UK is my #1 team - VT is my #2 team. I watched every minute of UK basketball this year, and ALMOST every minute of VT basketball. If Blackshear were to enroll at UK, the 'Cats would instantly become a prohibitive favorite to cut down the nets next April. He is as complete a big man as there is in college basketball today.
Dude would be a bigger add then Travis was IMO but I just don't think this is worth talking about until we at least hear IF he has any interest in coming here. He would be drafted if he stayed in the draft IMO but he would be a 2nd rounder . 1 year at UK could change that IMO .

But man if for some reason he has interest in UK - WOW That would make us the preseason favorite easily. Hell without him right now we are going to 2nd or 3rd in the preseason polls only behind MSU and maybe Michigan .

Dude would be a bigger add then Travis was IMO but I just don't think this is worth talking about until we at least hear IF he has any interest in coming here. He would be drafted if he stayed in the draft IMO but he would be a 2nd rounder . 1 year at UK could change that IMO .

But man if for some reason he has interest in UK - WOW That would make us the preseason favorite easily. Hell without him right now we are going to 2nd or 3rd in the preseason polls only behind MSU and maybe Michigan .
If Blackshear came here, MSU or Michigan doesn’t have anything on us. Or any other team.

Yes would be a much bigger pick up than Travis (no offense to RT). 15 and 8 and 2nd team all ACC. Watched him play a lot this year and is legit.

Reactions: Cats192
Chances we get him Anonymous13?

Not sure. Haven’t heard anything recently, been on the road.
But Cats added sestina, of course. And there is a chance he follows buzz or explores his professional options.
Also, other teams that have had roster spots open will now be contenders.

The thing is he has the talent to move to the end of the first. He has the skill to really impress in workouts and you add in his size and athletic ability and you get a late first round guy

He isn't projected in the NBA draft and staying at VT doesn't make a lot of sense because all the guys and talent he came in with are leaving. A&M will be in a rebuild so following Buzz isn't going to do much for a guy wanting to ake the league. Coming to UK gives most players the best chance to make it and the most exposure. I'm not sure how he feels against other ACC schools, hopefully, he hates Dook and UNC after going against them all these years. I can't imagine anything but Overseas if he wants to get paid or going to a contender. I just hope Cal gets involved immediately.

Men's College BB with news of Blackshear being in the portal.
tenor.gif

Blacks hear is better than anyone we have in the post next year, he would take us to another level!

Totally get him. 14 pts 7 reb in a major conference, 6'10''. GO GET HIM

How nice would this be?

PG: Hagans 25/Quickley 10/Maxey 5
SG: Maxey 25/Quickley 10/Baker 5
SF: Brooks 20/Whitley 15/Blackshear 5
PF: EJ 20/Blackshear 20
C: Sestina 20/EJ 10/Richards 10

Whitley would be able to come around on his own time
Allen RS
Whitney will start over Brooks smh

Reactions: Cindog28
80% or more of the lottery picks under cal would have gone lottery anywhere else. No doubt. List them and show me which ones wouldn’t have been.

It's easy to say that afterwards. But when you have SGA, Brooks, & Herro nowhere on an NBA radar going lottery...Herro flirting with it...& you watch other guys at other schools with supposedly "the goat" coaching, playing a year there & falling totally out of draft or giving scouts lots of questions (Reddish, RJ)....you need to open your eyes & see Cal has helped more players than hurt.

Blackshear would get PJ's touches. He is the missing piece to the puzzle for next year. He is closer to Washington's level than he is to Travis's level.

Reactions: ukfan041
Blackshear to UK would give us the missing title piece.

Judge me, hate me, lampoon me, but I still don't have faith in Nick or EJ at this point.
Nothing wrong with having doubts about those guys. I have mine as well. Just hoping they have the drive and motivation that PJ had.

The recruiting period is over. Can Cal even contact him? Or are there different rules for guys in the “portal”?

Very efficient player that know how to play. A difference maker. Would be great here playing with so much talent. Would be our best big by a long shot.

To be fair, this kid just entered the portal today, right?

Exactly.

It all fits too perfectly to not consider.

Va Tech is an ACC school. He's already played against legit competition. The only move up is to an elite school. Duke and UNC in theory are his enemies.

If he doesn't go pro--you surely wanna go to the place that you think will do the most for your draft stock.

Also, UK needs another elite big. He slips into PJ's role to perfection.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Huh? We ain't getting Hurt and we aren't even a sweet 16 team with the current front court we have. Blackshear + our guards + Sestina + Montgomery = serious national title contender.

Blackshear is a veteran big that can take over games on both ends of the court. No freshman available can match what this dude would bring.
Jeff, many still think a 5* who is unproven is better than a guy who has earned his keep. Like you, I'll take a proven junior senior or grad transfer over a kid who was slapped with 5* beside his name

...and takes minutes from who? UK is loaded comparatively speaking. I’d love to add Hurt, McDanials, and this guy, but Cal can only sit so many comfortably at the dinner table.

If Blackshear were to come to Kentucky, he'd immediately be our best big man. EJ Montgomery has a higher upside, but Cal will have no problem starting Blackshear and EJ and bringing the others off the bench.

I think Cal is happy to use Brooks as a 3 or 4. And he may see minutes at both as a freshman.

that we are talking about either-or situations makes me happy. i liked this year more than last for a title because of maxey and whitney. now we have quickley, hagans back and are probably going to end up with a versatile and/or stacked front court. something smells nice. spring flowers? or next year’s title chase?

Reactions: UKMKG and ukfan041
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT