ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

It's a great sign. Still a long way off, but we almost never hear anything about these guys if they're going elsewhere.

For it to be public that we've reached out, and for it to come from the UK side of things, means we reached out and liked what we heard.

Sisk throwing it out there that they've noticed the Reid Travis situation means some real talks unfolded and we made a pitch. This wasn't just "hey we know you exist."
Yeah, this news is huge and something some of us felt would happen.

It is a long way off, but if it happens, I will lose my voice and probably pass out from the massive celebration I would have.

If this guy has any interest in UK, I hope Cal shows major interest. A big man in the middle that can score and rebound would help more than Hurt or McDaniels....and I have hoped McDaniels would pick UK since summer

I agree.

I love McDaniels and I've love to add him, but he gives us redundancy right now with what Brooks and Whitney already offer.

Blackshear gives us Attila the Hun level violence under the rim. We need a man who isn't afraid to place the opponent's head on a pike for all the world to see.

Screw that. Get Pennywise ready with some balloons, because if we add Blackshear to what we already have, we're placing college basketball in the deadlights next season.

We've learned all too well the power of that "missing piece." We lacked a 4 man in 2017 and a 3 man in 2015. We lacked a "ready made" point guard this year. Adding that extra guy can be all the difference in the world.
Exactly. Blackshear gives us balance we haven't seen in a long time.

Heck, throw the Arkansas Little Rock 2 guard in too. Why not?

He had a great game in Rupp
"Virginia Tech when the Hokies gave Kentucky all it could handle in December of the 2017-18 season. Blackshear went for 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting with five rebounds in the 86-93 loss to the Cats."

He's already used to lighting up our nets at Rupp. The transition would be pretty simple for him.

Reactions: JC43
Exactly. Blackshear gives us balance we haven't seen in a long time.

Heck, throw the Arkansas Little Rock 2 guard in too. Why not?

I like it.

I hope this is the theme next year when it comes to earning playing time:

Blank+_a18d6a957c2a97b92b0d4c1bdb29412d.jpg

Sounds like a great prospect.

There's 40 minutes at the 5. Richards is at best a 20 minute guy. That's his max, most likely.

Let Blackshear and Richards split minutes at the 5 with Montgomery and Sestina (probably more of a stretch 4 than a 5) at the 4.

That also means Brooks can play the 3 almost exclusively.

Cal's pitch:

"Hey Kerry. So, you can return to Virginia Tech and play for an unproven coach on a team that's starting from scratch or you can...

come to UK and be our featured #1 scoring option on the low block, surrounded by 6 or 7 future NBA players while contending for a title and playing under a coach who turned Josh Harrelson into a multiyear NBA player."

Give me Blackshear over either.

For every 6'10 kid under 200 lbs that is good their freshman year, there are 1000 stinkers (who may be good as sophs, but...).

I'm sure there are a good 40 - 70 bony babies depending on the year that contribute decently to more like 550 that might be better in a year or two.
Not so bad considering that it probably holds true to most body types.

The problem is the 1 - 3 star or even high level type contributors to the 1,000 rearing its head. We are looking for more that type. I'd still take my chances with McDaniels or maybe slightly more so Hurt over MOST possible options and especially nothing.

Slim odds beat none every time.

Some of you are getting your hopes up to much I think. No where in the article does it say he is interested in UK.
" Virginia Tech is still at the top of his list," Blackshear's father said Tuesday in a phone interview. "He just wants to weigh all his options. Nothing more, nothing less than that. He doesn't have a school in mind. He's just exploring his options."

We just need to wait and see what happens.
his list may not be the determining factor. i could believe he may not like uk. but what can uk do for him? that’s a different story. he’d take some heat if he chooses any other school especially another acc school anyway. hope he wants it. he’s a great college player.

Reactions: westerncat
Exactly. He knows what the atmosphere is like at Rupp which has to be a huge plus!

It helps that the kid didn't give a damn about the Duke hype machine either. He showed more defiance in his games against Duke than 80% of our roster did in the November 6th game against them.

I like 6'10" guys who have the defiant outlook of a DeAndre Liggins and the talent to back it up.

It helps that the kid didn't give a damn about the Duke hype machine either. He showed more defiance in his games against Duke than 80% of our roster did in the November 6th game against them.

I like 6'10" guys who have the defiant outlook of a DeAndre Liggins and the talent to back it up.
and in whitney we will have another guy like that on the perimeter with quickley and co. hives me the chills

He had a great game in Rupp
"Virginia Tech when the Hokies gave Kentucky all it could handle in December of the 2017-18 season. Blackshear went for 18 points on 7-of-11 shooting with five rebounds in the 86-93 loss to the Cats."

That game sold me on him. He was great. This has me really hyped. Better than any freshman we can add.

Surely to God you can’t go from playing against Carolina to playing for them.

You'd hope. Because he's a great fit in Roy's system and Carolina has all the minutes and shots he could want. They can point to Cam Johnson transferring in and becoming a first rounder. They're a real threat if he's open to them.

I don't think UK, with the roster we currently have, is top 5, I don't. Our frontcourt just wouldn't be good enough.

Put Blackshear on the roster and he would take a good/okay frontcourt and make it elite.
I think as of today UK belongs between 3rd-8th preseason but but there is zero chance we don't add another big . Regardless of who that big is we will be top 3 and even as is UK is top5ish . But if that big were Mcdaniels or Blackshear then we are hands down #1. Especially Blackshear.

Reactions: westerncat
I think as of today UK belongs between 3rd-8th preseason but but there is zero chance we don't add another big . Regardless of who that big is we will be top 3 and even as is UK is top5ish . But if that big were Mcdaniels or Blackshear then we are hands down #1. Especially Blackshear.
I can't disagree with this. I just want that addition to be Blackshear, I know McDaniels is good, but Blackshear has dominated in the ACC and has an NBA body.

I'm sure there are a good 40 - 70 bony babies depending on the year that contribute decently to more like 550 that might be better in a year or two.
Not so bad considering that it probably holds true to most body types.

The problem is the 1 - 3 star or even high level type contributors to the 1,000 rearing its head. We are looking for more that type. I'd still take my chances with McDaniels or maybe slightly more so Hurt over MOST possible options and especially nothing.

Slim odds beat none every time.
I'm not sure what your argument is here. I can't remember the last kid that looked like Hurt who was good as a freshman - meaning, he clearly was gonna play under 210 lbs as a freshman. They're legitimately always bad.

Mcdaniels has at least a slightly better shot; based on his shoulders, he looks like he'll end up around 215+ by the time the season starts.

Until they name a name, I've had enough of KSR teasing big transfers to draw hits during dead news periods.

I know you can't always say because stuff wants to be kept close to the vest, but jumping in when Sisk beat you to the news with "oh and we're also hearing something else but we can't tell you..." is weak.

I can't disagree with this. I just want that addition to be Blackshear, I know McDaniels is good, but Blackshear has dominated in the ACC and has an NBA body.
Yeah Blackshear could be POY at UK . Kid is sooooo good. Not sure how he isn't a big time NBA prospect now . Kid is legit af.

Until they name a name, I've had enough of KSR teasing big transfers to draw hits during dead news periods.

I know you can't always say because stuff wants to be kept close to the vest, but jumping in when Sisk beat you to the news with "oh and we're also hearing something else but we can't tell you..." is weak.
They kept is close with Travis too.

Yeah Blackshear could be POY at UK . Kid is sooooo good. Not sure how he isn't a big time NBA prospect now . Kid is legit af.
Hopefully the NBA guys tell him to go back to school. Cal gets this guy comfortably into the first round.

They kept is close with Travis too.

Not as I remember it.

We knew he was out there, it came out that we had interest and he was going to take visits. Lots of us knew he wouldn't take the Villanova visit once he was on campus at UK. Then a few days later he announced he wouldn't be taking any other visits.

The whole thing was pretty transparent. Sestina worked the same way. This stuff gets out when it's favorable for us.

Reactions: ukfan041
Hopefully the NBA guys tell him to go back to school. Cal gets this guy comfortably into the first round.
That's without a doubt. He isn't in the Top 100 prospects. I don't know how he isn't, but he isn't. So I can't imagine he will get anything from the combine but advice on what to work on. Or maybe you are perfect for the G league. I hope not. Come here and be a dam star! Guarantee if he comes to Uk he gets drafted by someone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT