ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

He's a really good player, but he's not an elite rim protector. Probably less than a block per game.
I wasn’t specifically referring to blocks. He has the size and athleticism to drive players to him and make them alter their shot at the rim. That’s good enough. Richards and EJ are always too far out of position to cover in time. I watched all of the VTech/Duke games this year. He always had a hand up making it hard for Zion and RJ to score. That’s more of what I was referring too.

This thread sounds nothing but good. Glad Cal is embracing Grad transfers to get us some depth, experience and leadership with our yearly young rosters....

I'd take a grad transfer over most freshman these days. Unless said freshmen is a top 10 recruit, otherwise give me the experienced player plz

Reid Travis was as good as a top 10 recruit, easily.

...and takes minutes from who? UK is loaded comparatively speaking. I’d love to add Hurt, McDanials, and this guy, but Cal can only sit so many comfortably at the dinner table.
We aren’t getting Hurt or McDaniels. Getting Blackshear is the one thing that could make us a legit title contender. As we are, we aren’t contending for anything.

We aren’t getting Hurt or McDaniels. Getting Blackshear is the one thing that could make us a legit title contender. As we are, we aren’t contending for anything.
I’ve received some replies to that post, stating exactly what I posted. I KNOW UK is highly unlikely to add Hurt/McDaniels! Lol, sorry if that was interpreted wrong.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
We want 3-4 year players but cant wait to bring someone in over them and continue to clown on our guys in message boards. Wild times.

A lot of "if"'s here. He has to be interested in UK, we'd have to get him, and Richards would need to feel compelled to transfer.

I'm OK doing this once in a while. But Cal needs to be careful here. He does not want to send a message to future recruits that says if someone better comes along, we'll place them over you. the top50 to top15 guys already need to contend with future recruits. If they think they'll also have to battle with grad transfers, but they might look elsewhere.

We shouldn't need him if Nick and EJ are the players they're supposed to be. If we need a grad transfer desperately to play over a 5 star soph and a 5 star junior we have talent evaluation problems.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Where is UK even mentioned?

I don’t think we have been mentioned. Florida is random though. Just bc he’s from the state means nothing. There are lots of universities in Florida beside the gators. UCF, Miami, FSU right off the top. You google the mans name and you end up with lots of stories by Kentucky media.

I don’t think we have been mentioned. Florida is random though. Just bc he’s from the state means nothing. There are lots of universities in Florida beside the gators. UCF, Miami, FSU right off the top. You google the mans name and you end up with lots of stories by Kentucky media.
Florida State recruited him initially

A lot of "if"'s here. He has to be interested in UK, we'd have to get him, and Richards would need to feel compelled to transfer.

I'm OK doing this once in a while. But Cal needs to be careful here. He does not want to send a message to future recruits that says if someone better comes along, we'll place them over you. the top50 to top15 guys already need to contend with future recruits. If they think they'll also have to battle with grad transfers, but they might look elsewhere.
Or.....Richards could man up and force Cal to play him over anyone. Depends on the kid and where he’s at on the confidence scale. I would like to see Richards play angry, like a man possessed to prove everyone wrong- because scared and clumsy hasn’t worked out so far and we all know he’s better than what we have seen so far. We get glimpses at the trailer but we need to see the whole movie.

Reactions: ukfan041

He already does that. Every player that stays is recruited over and why does nick have to transfer. Senseless posts about nick. He’s cal is recruiting maker for crying out loud he’s recruited hurt, mcdaniels all those impact nick. Nick doesn’t need to go anywhere just stay in the system and get better. If blackshear came in it’s effectively a replacement for PJ.

You are 100% correct. I hope Cal gets him but there are better spots for him like UNC and Kansas.

I feel like option one is obviously the draft, and there's a spot for a guy like him in the league. He's not a franchise guy, but he's as ready now as he'll be in one more or five more years. He's a grown man, and his game pretty much is what it is.

If he just wants to take one more shot at improving his stock, we might be a little too crowded. A lot of really good programs have some major holes in their roster and he can be a difference maker.

I'd be really surprised if he ends up here, but I'd be more thrilled than surprised. I'm worried he ends up making some of our competition much more dangerous next season. Florida is home, and there are some teams down there that could use him. There's also a lot of options right there in the ACC.

Or.....Richards could man up and force Cal to play him over anyone. Depends on the kid and where he’s at on the confidence scale. I would like to see Richards play angry, like a man possessed to prove everyone wrong- because scared and clumsy hasn’t worked out so far and we all know he’s better than what we have seen so far. We get glimpses at the trailer but we need to see the whole movie.

Some of this is just on Richards abilities at this point. Wasn't playing basketball his whole life (which, we really need to stop recruiting these "atheletes" who don't have the basketball experience).

Some of this is for sure on Richards. But a move like this could still send a message to those recruits..

We shouldn't need him if Nick and EJ are the players they're supposed to be. If we need a grad transfer desperately to play over a 5 star soph and a 5 star junior we have talent evaluation problems.

Are we trying to win a title or make players happy?? A 5th year senior who averages 15 and 8 a game is far more far more of a better option than a guy who isn’t physically developed yet but was a high school star. Richards was a 5 star based on potential he’s still raw. No one has a problem with cal going for mcdaniels hurt Dante but if we go grad transfer then he is recruiting over nick or ej. That argument does not compute

If he decides to leave Va Tech and doesn’t remain in the draft, I’m not sure why he’d go to a “lateral” school like a Florida or Florida State. You’d think he’d want to go a place where he can better develop against elite talent and coaching to posture himself for a pro career. This, coupled with the fact that he probably hates Duke and UNC after playing them multiple times a year in the ACC, would probably at least put us on the radar.

Reactions: Wildcats1st

I suspect Florida will be mentioned.

He already does that. Every player that stays is recruited over and why does nick have to transfer. Senseless posts about nick. He’s cal is recruiting maker for crying out loud he’s recruited hurt, mcdaniels all those impact nick. Nick doesn’t need to go anywhere just stay in the system and get better. If blackshear came in it’s effectively a replacement for PJ.

He's 6'10 250lbs.. He's not PJ's replacement. He's a traditional bodied 4, who CAN play a stretch role if need be (serviceable 3pt shooter), or can play under the hoop. Either way, this does affect Richards.

Now, maybe Richards is staying no matter what.. he might figure he'd rather stay put than sit a year.

Only better playing time. What Cal did with Travis can’t be overlooked.

What did cal do with Travis??? He’s not going to be drafted. What did cal do with Travis? He averaged less than at Stanford. Man I think people just repeat things they hear that have no basis in fact in and on

Reactions: Cychologist
Totally get him. 14 pts 7 reb in a major conference, 6'10''. GO GET HIM

How nice would this be?

PG: Hagans 25/Quickley 10/Maxey 5
SG: Maxey 25/Quickley 10/Baker 5
SF: Brooks 20/Whitley 15/Blackshear 5
PF: EJ 20/Blackshear 20
C: Sestina 20/EJ 10/Richards 10

Whitley would be able to come around on his own time
Allen RS

2 things.

1) Whitney > Whitley

2) Blackshear starts over Sestina alongside EJ

Reactions: Cindog28
He's 6'10 250lbs.. He's not PJ's replacement. He's a traditional bodied 4, who CAN play a stretch role if need be (serviceable 3pt shooter), or can play under the hoop. Either way, this does affect Richards.

Now, maybe Richards is staying no matter what.. he might figure he'd rather stay put than sit a year.

I don’t care his height. Pj played over Richards he impacted Richards minutes. Travis was smaller too impacted both Richards and ej. He would be a replacement for PJ however you slice it. Best thing for Richards is to play out his 4 years at Uk. If he can’t make a splash jr or sr year use all that 4 years of playing against talent and grad transfer himself somewhere where he can star. Transferring for Richards would be the worst decision bc he would have to sit a season and lose that ability to grad transfer if he needs it. It would prolong his timeline.

What did cal do with Travis??? He’s not going to be drafted. What did cal do with Travis? He averaged less than at Stanford. Man I think people just repeat things they hear that have no basis in fact in and on

Travis slimmed down and became a better defender. Blocked 23 shots after blocking 21 his entire career before now.

He might have “averaged less” than he did at Stanford, but he never even played in the tournament at Stanford. He was a major contributor on a team that was a whisker away from the Final Four this year.

If you don’t think Cal and company helped Reid Travis improve his lot in life, I don’t know what to tell ya.

Travis slimmed down and became a better defender. Blocked 23 shots after blocking 21 his entire career before now.

He might have “averaged less” than he did at Stanford, but he never even played in the tournament at Stanford. He was a major contributor on a team that was a whisker away from the Final Four this year.

If you don’t think Cal and company helped Reid Travis improve his lot in life, I don’t know what to tell ya.

He isn’t an nba prospect. The guy has a degree from Stanford. He did get to an elite 8 but the things he did at Kentucky he could have done elsewhere. Wherever Travis was last season his life would have improved. That’s what it’s like when your 22-23-24 the next year is always better

Hate to admit it but I’ve felt that way for awhile. You shouldn’t recruit shooting guards that can’t shoot and seven footers who can’t block shots. And for gods sake do your own evaluations and do not depend on high school talent evaluators to feed you info. They sometimes have their own agendas.

Gave him the “experience” of a lifetime and improved his game in every aspect. He was never going to be a great NBA prospect but he has more options now because he is definitely a better player. Listen to what Travis is saying. He is all the commercial we need.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
I don’t care his height. Pj played over Richards he impacted Richards minutes. Travis was smaller too impacted both Richards and ej. He would be a replacement for PJ however you slice it. Best thing for Richards is to play out his 4 years at Uk. If he can’t make a splash jr or sr year use all that 4 years of playing against talent and grad transfer himself somewhere where he can star. Transferring for Richards would be the worst decision bc he would have to sit a season and lose that ability to grad transfer if he needs it. It would prolong his timeline.

All that could be said of Charles Matthews. And I'm not saying he made the right decision to sit a year to play for Michigan. But in his eyes it was what he wanted.

PJ and Richards came at the same time. They were recruits. WAY different than taking a late transfer.

He’s out here in Utah, plays with us at our private runs, he’s OK and would be the fourth big. Not as good as the other three bigs on UK roster but he is a big body

We might hear the name Jayce Johnson emerge in the next few days he's a grad transfer out of Utah 7 foot 235 lb somewhat of a score but more of a Defender and rebounder

All that could be said of Charles Matthews. And I'm not saying he made the right decision to sit a year to play for Michigan. But in his eyes it was what he wanted.

PJ and Richards came at the same time. They were recruits. WAY different than taking a late transfer.

Why is it “way” different??? OAD is OAD whether it’s mcdaniels or blackshear

Regardless, a move like this is STILL playing in dangerous territory, whether it's Richards, Matthews, etc. It's one thing for lesser recruits to pick Kentucky, knowing they will have another crop of freshman coming in every year.. it's another thing for the recruiting period to be close to over, think you have 30 minutes next year, and then a better grad transfer comes in to take minutes.

Not saying it's inherently wrong, as some of this IS on Richards for just not living up to expectations. But could this scare off future recruits? It's worth asking.

Matthews made his decision quick not after investing two years. Is nick even considering transfering? Not from what i hear.

I wasn’t specifically referring to blocks. He has the size and athleticism to drive players to him and make them alter their shot at the rim. That’s good enough. Richards and EJ are always too far out of position to cover in time. I watched all of the VTech/Duke games this year. He always had a hand up making it hard for Zion and RJ to score. That’s more of what I was referring too.

You’re saying he’s a good defender.

A rim protector physically blocks shots and affects others. Richards and EJ both do that. They’re not great on ball defensive players.

Huh, he already does that with recruiting every year. He tells the kids he will recruit the best players every year. He has never not recruited a top player just because a player is on the roster that plays the same position

Matthews made his decision quick not after investing two years. Is nick even considering transfering? Not from what i hear.

@Jakarii
He very well may stay. We don't even know if Blackshear is interested. I'm not SO concerned about this one use case. I'm concerned that we might be adding another level of "recruiting" that might deter the top15 to top50 recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT