ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

I feel like option one is obviously the draft, and there's a spot for a guy like him in the league. He's not a franchise guy, but he's as ready now as he'll be in one more or five more years. He's a grown man, and his game pretty much is what it is.

If he just wants to take one more shot at improving his stock, we might be a little too crowded. A lot of really good programs have some major holes in their roster and he can be a difference maker.

I'd be really surprised if he ends up here, but I'd be more thrilled than surprised. I'm worried he ends up making some of our competition much more dangerous next season. Florida is home, and there are some teams down there that could use him. There's also a lot of options right there in the ACC.

Reactions: JC43
What were you alluding?

Said on a couple different threads that we will see uk get involved with a big time GT who hadn’t yet announced.
Didn’t want to say the name.
This one is a bit more complicated now and I’m not sure of Kentucky’s positioning.

PG. Ashton Hagans
SG. Tyrese Maxey
SF. Kahlil Whitney
PF. EJ Montgomery
C. Kerry Blackshear
6. Immanuel Quickley
7. Keion Brooks
8. Nate Sestina
9. Nick Richards
10. Jamaal Baker
11. Dontaie Allen

+ Maybe Herro?...maybe?? Probably not, but one can dream.
If, and that’s Silverback Gorilla ballz size IF, that line-up came to fruition, no way Vegas lets Higgins “retire”. No way!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr_GG
I'd love to have him but I think many of you are getting excited about the possibilities a little to soon. Has he even mentioned any schools yet? I'm going to wait until he schedules a visit here before I start getting my hopes up.

He may not want to compete with the players we currently have. The guy probably will announce he is coming here and end up in the draft. He can be our first none and done. Seriously though, I hope he does come here and realizes that he can get drafted higher here than most places even with less minutes, points, and rebounds.
As you know it’s the BBN’s nature. Thing is if the guy does decide to transfer and ends up at UK the future of the transfer portal may be doomed.

Reactions: KyCatFan
I've mentioned him here a couple times over the last couple weeks after Buzz left thinking he would be the absolute missing piece for us next year. Go straight to wherever he is and bring him to Lexington!! The only UK fan who wouldn't be ecstatic over this would be Nick Richards.

Said on a couple different threads that we will see uk get involved with a big time GT who hadn’t yet announced.
Didn’t want to say the name.
This one is a bit more complicated now and I’m not sure of Kentucky’s positioning.
Why is it 'more complicated now'? Can you give us a percentage on how confident you are Cal gets him?

Sell him on the PJ/Patrick Patterson angle. Blackshear shot 33% on threes, about two attempts per game - that's okay, enough to show he can develop. Show him how PJ and PPat improved their shot. PJ is a lottery pick now, and PPat has played nearly a decade in the pros.

I've never wanted a transfer more than this. Dear god please go get him.

Tomato tomatto, sweet 16 or elite 8, both nice achievements, but our projected front court won't get us to the FF.

Blackshear takes this team two notches higher than what it is right now. I watched VT play quite a few times this past season and came away highly impressed with that dude every time. He's a man in the paint.
The elite rim protector that we’re missing. Can also extend the floor and hit outside shots. I’m drooling already. I wonder if Cal is even considering reaching out.

Reactions: kyjeff1
It seems like a lot of your stuff is UF related, and then having this scoop a couple weeks out about a kid from Florida lined up with that.

Gotcha.
More SEC related, but yeah- he is a Florida kid.
Florida does pursue some of the same kids, so a crossover for sure.
Scottie Lewis was the most recent head-to-head battle.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
The elite rim protector that we’re missing. Can also extend the floor and hit outside shots. I’m drooling already. I wonder if Cal is even considering reaching out.

He's a really good player, but he's not an elite rim protector. Probably less than a block per game.

Reactions: Cats192
...and takes minutes from who? UK is loaded comparatively speaking. I’d love to add Hurt, McDanials, and this guy, but Cal can only sit so many comfortably at the dinner table.

I think the Hurt ship has sailed. No one knows about McDaniels but if this kid wants to be here, I’d take him in a heartbeat. We saw with Reid what that veteran leadership brings and this would give us two transfers to go along with the raw talent of EJ and NR would give us a deep and experienced front court and back court.

Exactly what 99% of you have been screaming for since Cal got here

Well, Cal definitely knows about this. He's been tagged at least a thousand times on twitter.

I fully believe Cal will throw his hat in the ring on this guy.

If he does land him, there isn't a soul on this board (outside of the trolls) that would care if we just skipped the summer and headed right November.

I will tell him if he averages a double double and his mom will do a little consulting he can drive the blue car on draft night.

Reactions: ukfan041
This thread sounds nothing but good. Glad Cal is embracing Grad transfers to get us some depth, experience and leadership with our yearly young rosters....

I'd take a grad transfer over most freshman these days. Unless said freshmen is a top 10 recruit, otherwise give me the experienced player plz

Reactions: TFCats11
He starts over EJ easily. I like EJ but this kid can be a All American next year. Imagine a more athletic Reid that is taller and a better shooter/defender

Totally get him. 14 pts 7 reb in a major conference, 6'10''. GO GET HIM

How nice would this be?

PG: Hagans 25/Quickley 10/Maxey 5
SG: Maxey 25/Quickley 10/Baker 5
SF: Brooks 20/Whitley 15/Blackshear 5
PF: EJ 20/Blackshear 20
C: Sestina 20/EJ 10/Richards 10

Whitley would be able to come around on his own time
Allen RS

Huh? We ain't getting Hurt and we aren't even a sweet 16 team with the current front court we have. Blackshear + our guards + Sestina + Montgomery = serious national title contender.

Blackshear is a veteran big that can take over games on both ends of the court. No freshman available can match what this dude would bring.
You really think he is the difference in being a team that has upside outside the sweet 16 and a team that contends for the title? I think that is a stretch.

Everyone is saying they want him to come to UK, not saying he will. This is actually the one time the fans aren’t going over board

I'd love to have him but I think many of you are getting excited about the possibilities a little to soon. Has he even mentioned any schools yet? I'm going to wait until he schedules a visit here before I start getting my hopes up.

He may not want to compete with the players we currently have. The guy probably will announce he is coming here and end up in the draft. He can be our first none and done. Seriously though, I hope he does come here and realizes that he can get drafted higher here than most places even with less minutes, points, and rebounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT