ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

It's not just the Kentucky affect, Calipari runs a pro style system where bigs get the ball on the block and they beat their man for a bucket. Guards are put in a position where they can beat their man off the bounce, forwards are constantly put in a position to score inside and out and defensive techniques, such as how to switch, defend on the switch and defend the P-N-R are drilled into these guys.

If KB goes to Florida or aTm, he's going to get the same tutilage he got for the last 3 years at VT and the stage is the same. Those schools are nothing more than a sideways move.

If Kerry brings his size, skill, drive and athletasism to UK, he's a first round lock in the 2020 draft.

Going to aTm or Florida is the definition of insanity.

It's not just the Kentucky affect, Calipari runs a pro style system where bigs get the ball on the block and they beat their man for a bucket. Guards are put in a position where they can beat their man off the bounce, forwards are constantly put in a position to score inside and out and defensive techniques, such as how to switch, defend on the switch and defend the P-N-R are drilled into these guys.

If KB goes to Florida or aTm, he's going to get the same tutilage he got for the last 3 years at VT and the stage is the same. Those schools are nothing more than a sideways move.

If Kerry brings his size, skill, drive and athletasism to UK, he's a first round lock in the 2020 draft.

Going to aTm or Florida is the definition of insanity.

Are you describing the same offense I read people screaming about in this forum? LOL!
Joking aside, I think Calipari An excellent coach and does a great job preparing his kids.
As for offensive styles, Florida runs very similar.

Herro this year as a 4 star and Alexander last year as a 4 star there is no way if Herro would've ended up at Wisconsin and Alexander would've ended up at Florida would they have ever left after 1 year it would've been multiple years at those other schools!
Yes that’s true but by choosing UK, they saw a shortcut to increasing their development at an exponentially greater rate. They weren’t scared of the competition and worked harder than any other on the team to improve their game the most. Consider me a huge SGA fan. Tyler is okay. He didn’t have anywhere close to the year that SGA had but it’s a weak draft this year so I get it. Both improved more than anyone on their respective teams though.

I wouldn't be that eager to talk to a guy whose first words about Cal and UK was that our "mystique" doesn't move them at all, either.
We have such a great need for a big he should overlook it and go after him.Who knows if EJ returns and if Nick is our only big next year will be rough.

We have such a great need for a big he should overlook it and go after him.Who knows if EJ returns and if Nick is our only big next year will be rough.

I think he should at least talk to them, but my guess is that he wasn't feeling it based on that comment, but maybe he just doesn't like his game, I don't know. Maybe he has a better feeling about McDaniels. We definitely need at least 1, maybe 2 more players though, and one of them at least needs to be a solid big man/rim protector.

This kind of highlights the point.
Despite the hype, he will be undrafted on draft night.
Reid Travis was limited and everyone knew that, but early in the season he was shooting threes and playing off PJ. This team needed him in the post for obvious reasons and still got the hype that might get him into some tryouts for teams that probably wouldn’t have if he didn’t come here. I guess we will see.
Honestly, I do not understand how Blackshear isn’t a first round pick unless the guy is wanting to try and be in the lottery. He has more skills and plays harder than some of the former UK guys that went in the first round.

I wouldn't be that eager to talk to a guy whose first words about Cal and UK was that our "mystique" doesn't move them at all, either.
I think he should at least talk to them, but my guess is that he wasn't feeling it based on that comment, but maybe he just doesn't like his game, I don't know. Maybe he has a better feeling about McDaniels. We definitely need at least 1, maybe 2 more players though, and one of them at least needs to be a solid big man/rim protector.
I got blasted by some for suggesting Blackshears dad was a bit too heavily invovled in this process. It's starting to look more and more that this is the case and a recent article even said he was "running point" on this. Cal doesn't exactly have a track record of working with or even having contact with overzealous father/guardian types. Have a feeling UK is waiting for Kerry Blackshear himself to reach out and show his interest.

We should reinvent grad transfer in the mold of duke. If it’s ok for ratface to give parents jobs and houses how about we get some local businesses to employ these guys who already graduated?? Maybe a consulting role that pays 100K a year. I mean blackshear has a PR degree surely he can use that to make some money. Paul Miller could hire him to give their salesmen a weekly pep talk.

I got blasted by some for suggesting Blackshears dad was a bit too heavily invovled in this process. It's starting to look more and more that this is the case and a recent article even said he was "running point" on this. Cal doesn't exactly have a track record of working with or even having contact with overzealous father/guardian types. Have a feeling UK is waiting for Kerry Blackshear himself to reach out and show his interest.

Bc waiting for players to reach out is the best way to recruit! Right??

Reactions: Cats192
Bc waiting for players to reach out is the best way to recruit! Right??
In many cases, yes. You don't waste your time recruiting players that aren't really interested. Particularly in recruitments that will be very short-term. It takes time away from players we have a chance with. Dude has been in college 3 - 4 years. He knows the college landscape and likely already has a good idea of who he is and isn't interested in. This isn't like a high school recruit who will take several visits and take time to evaluate. These transfer recruitments typically go 1 to 2 visits and a quick commit. We put out a feeler to gauge interest and show ours. Now the staff is likely waiting for Blackshear to reach out and show his interest so we can talk with him about what we have to offer for his last year.

What would you recommend?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT