ADVERTISEMENT

VT's Kerry Blackshear enters transfer portal

It's hard to get excited yet because we don't even know if he is interested in UK.Nick and EJ sure wouldn't scare anyone off though.

If we added Blaskshear to what we already have, this would be Cal's most experienced team, even more than the 2015 team after Poythress went down with the ACL tear.

2015:
sophomores (6)-
Andrew Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Marcus Lee
Dakari Johnson
Derek Willis
Dom Hawkins

juniors (1) -
WCS
(don't count Poythress due to injury)

vs. 2020

sophomores (4) -
Hagans
IQ
Baker
EJ

juniors (1)-
Richards

seniors (2)-
Sestina
Blackshear

You really think he is the difference in being a team that has upside outside the sweet 16 and a team that contends for the title? I think that is a stretch.
Yup and I don't think it's debatable. The starting lineup UK would put out there and the first three coming off the bench would be better than anyone out there not named Michigan State. Depending on how our guys progress throughout the year and the health of the team, we might be better than MSU by the time we would see them in the FF.

Blackshear is that good.

Just think of putting PJ on next year's team compared to him not being there. Is adding PJ to that roster final four good in your mind?

Yes would be a much bigger pick up than Travis (no offense to RT). 15 and 8 and 2nd team all ACC. Watched him play a lot this year and is legit.

Agreed.

He's 2 inches and 12 lbs heavier.

He's more athletic and more offensively gifted.

We want 3-4 year players but cant wait to bring someone in over them and continue to clown on our guys in message boards. Wild times.
Who's clowning our guys? Who's saying we want to bring Blackshear in to play over our current players? I see a whole lot of people that want to ADD Blackshear to what we have. Yeah, he would start over Nick, but it's up to Nick to take his playing time. We all want him to dominate and Cal is his biggest fan, but if we want to be a legit threat, we need someone to come in and be a PJ Washington.

Yup and I don't think it's debatable. The starting lineup UK would put out there and the first three coming off the bench would be better than anyone out there not named Michigan State. Depending on how our guys progress throughout the year and the health of the team, we might be better than MSU by the time we would see them in the FF.

Blackshear is that good.

Just think of putting PJ on next year's team compared to him not being there. Is adding PJ to that roster final four good in your mind?
We would see MSU before the FF. Like in the first game of the year at the Champions Classic.

Of course reel him in if we can.

No matter how much you believe in the guys we have there are only three of them and reason to think all lean foul prone.

There is no recruiting over, we absolutely need another front court player. Four was thin for my tastes. That puts you a banged up guy or a bad whistle from behind the 8 ball pretty hard.

With three you are really pushing it. Hell yeah, bring him in. Bonus, he'd be the best or close to it even if someone else makes a big move up front

Blackshear is that good.

You're absolutely right.

Blackshear becomes your fourth "proven commodity" if he ends up in Kentucky, and that's no slight. To have four guys you can count on for production: Blackshear, Sestina, Whitney, and Maxey is precisely the type of thing that wins titles because you'd effectively have four scoring options before you even get to the realities of player improvement from guys like EJ, IQ, and Hagans. Brooks becomes something of an icing on the cake, and he's a helluva player in his own right.

By contrast, I think the '15 team had five or six "proven commodities" by season's end (Lyles, twins, WCS, Towns, maybe Booker). And that was in a season with three or four great teams. UK won't be facing that type of competition next year so having four or five guys who you can depend on every game essentially separates you from the pack.

Right now, I don't think we're quite there, but Blackshear changes that immediately. He gives you the junkyard dog to counterbalance the finesse you get from guys like Brooks, Richards and Montgomery. I think Sestina brings a little bit of both worlds when it comes to physicality and finesse, and picturing him playing opposite Blackshear is the type of frontcourt that I could envision taking home the trophy in April, 2020.

I can't see Blackshear making a sideways or backward move when his main goal is to get to the league so that would cancel out A&M and VT. Noth should struggle to even make the tourney. He isn't ranked in the Top 100 draft prospects so overseas would probably be the play if he wants to get paid now. Otherwise, I would have to think he moves to a contender to get better and for the exposure. I think this kid makes us a title contender and I don't see what the big deal is minutes wise we are still going for McDaniels. Of course, I would prefer Blackshear. I hope this happens, almost makes too much sense. Mike Young the new HC at VT would hate us even more. First, we knock his Wofford team out of the Tourney and then we steal his best player. Ouch! I would imagine Cal is going to go for him and it might be exactly what Blackshear is looking for.

If Blackshear were to come to Kentucky, he'd immediately be our best big man. EJ Montgomery has a higher upside, but Cal will have no problem starting Blackshear and EJ and bringing the others off the bench.

I think Cal is happy to use Brooks as a 3 or 4. And he may see minutes at both as a freshman.
Sign me up, I love it!

Blackshear is that good.

It is the difference between being possibly the best team and for sure being the best team. You put Blackshear on this roster and we are hands down the preseason favorite. Right now we are 1 of 3-4 teams along with MSU and a few others.

BUT THIS IS ALL SILLY UNTIL WE HEAR HE HAS ONE IOTA OF INTEREST.

More like truth. I can think of two who wouldn’t have been lottery. Shai and Booker. Who are the others??
Getting guys into the lottery/first round is one thing, preparing them to stay in the league long term is a completely different thing.

Cal does that better than any other coach.

Reactions: CatfanMike47
Best case:
C- Blackshear - Richards
F - Montgomery - Sestina - Brooks
F - Whitney - Brooks
G - Maxey - Quickley - Baker - Calipari
G - Hagans - Quickley

That starting five looks like a pack of junkyard dogs. That bench is the kind of unit Indiana fans would have wet dreams over if those players represented their starters.

Yeah, that team would compete for a title in a serious way.

Some of you are getting your hopes up to much I think. No where in the article does it say he is interested in UK.
" Virginia Tech is still at the top of his list," Blackshear's father said Tuesday in a phone interview. "He just wants to weigh all his options. Nothing more, nothing less than that. He doesn't have a school in mind. He's just exploring his options."

We just need to wait and see what happens.

Some of you are getting your hopes up to much I think. No where in the article does it say he is interested in UK.
" Virginia Tech is still at the top of his list," Blackshear's father said Tuesday in a phone interview. "He just wants to weigh all his options. Nothing more, nothing less than that. He doesn't have a school in mind. He's just exploring his options."

Getting our hopes up is what makes this message board fun.

Seeing those same hopes come crashing down in flames over our heads makes it even more fun.

You should join in on the fun.

Best case:
C- Blackshear - Richards
F - Whitney - Brooks
G - Hagans - Quickley

That starting five looks like a pack of junkyard dogs. That bench is the kind of unit Indiana fans would have wet dreams over if those players represented their starters.

just two moves from happening. nothing cal can’t handle. just depends on what he’s hoping for.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
You're absolutely right.

Blackshear becomes your fourth "proven commodity" if he ends up in Kentucky, and that's no slight. To have four guys you can count on for production: Blackshear, Sestina, Whitney, and Maxey is precisely the type of thing that wins titles because you'd effectively have four scoring options before you even get to the realities of player improvement from guys like EJ, IQ, and Hagans. Brooks becomes something of an icing on the cake, and he's a helluva player in his own right.

By contrast, I think the '15 team had five or six "proven commodities" by season's end (Lyles, twins, WCS, Towns, maybe Booker). And that was in a season with three or four great teams. UK won't be facing that type of competition next year so having four or five guys who you can depend on every game essentially separates you from the pack.

Right now, I don't think we're quite there, but Blackshear changes that immediately. He gives you the junkyard dog to counterbalance the finesse you get from guys like Brooks, Richards and Montgomery. I think Sestina brings a little bit of both worlds when it comes to physicality and finesse, and picturing him playing opposite Blackshear is the type of frontcourt that I could envision taking home the trophy in April, 2020.
This.

I don't think I've been this engaged in a potential addition since AD. Heck, I don't even think I sat up in my seat during AD's recruitment the way I did with the thought of landing Blackshear.

This dude is the absolute perfect fit for our team next year and anyone that doesn't think it's that big of a deal, obviously hasn't seen Blackshear play.

He's a junkyard dog and paired with our backcourt, EJ, Sestina and Richards.....chills!

I mean I think you say that regardless just to be polite. I'm not sure why he would go ahead and put his name into the portal if he was staying there or even considering it. All the guys he came in with are gone. All the talent is gone and most of their recruiting class followed Buzz to A&M so VT is going to suck next year plus have a new HC from a Mid Major. I think he's gone, might not mean us, but somewhere.

It is the difference between being possibly the best team and for sure being the best team. You put Blackshear on this roster and we are hands down the preseason favorite. Right now we are 1 of 3-4 teams along with MSU and a few others.

BUT THIS IS ALL SILLY UNTIL WE HEAR HE HAS ONE IOTA OF INTEREST.
I don't think UK, with the roster we currently have, is top 5, I don't. Our frontcourt just wouldn't be good enough.

Put Blackshear on the roster and he would take a good/okay frontcourt and make it elite.

Best case:
C- Blackshear - Richards
F - Whitney - Brooks
G - Hagans - Quickley

I just need to go to bed, the thought of that roster is....damn .

Somebody get Kermit ready.

It's a great sign. Still a long way off, but we almost never hear anything about these guys if they're going elsewhere.

For it to be public that we've reached out, and for it to come from the UK side of things, means we reached out and liked what we heard.

Sisk throwing it out there that they've noticed the Reid Travis situation means some real talks unfolded and we made a pitch. This wasn't just "hey we know you exist."

tenor.gif

So far, Carolina, Arkansas, Nebraska among the other schools named to be in contact.

If this guy has any interest in UK, I hope Cal shows major interest. A big man in the middle that can score and rebound would help more than Hurt or McDaniels....and I have hoped McDaniels would pick UK since summer

Somebody get Kermit ready.

Screw that. Get Pennywise ready with some balloons, because if we add Blackshear to what we already have, we're placing college basketball in the deadlights next season.

We've learned all too well the power of that "missing piece." We lacked a 4 man in 2017 and a 3 man in 2015. We lacked a "ready made" point guard this year. Adding that extra guy can be all the difference in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT