ADVERTISEMENT

Vol with question about UK fandom loyalties.

Yeah, College Basketball isn’t as much fun as it used to be, but I still love March Madness.

Every game in College Football has serious meaning.

Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy going to the games and watching on tv, I just don’t live and die it until March.

Last edited:
Reactions: pumpedupcats
I think UK football fans are some of the most loyal ever. We have kept going to games for years in the few good years and lots of terrible years. Not a lot of return on investment until the last couple of years.

Reactions: RogerIndy
Yeah, College Basketball isn’t as much fun as it used to be, but I still love March Madness.

Every game in College Football has serious meaning.

With the push to make teams shoot 30+ free throws per game, they're sure to usher in a new golden era in the sport any day now

I don't understand people who are either football or basketball fans. I'm a fan of Kentucky.

I can't even describe the decades-long pain involved in being a Kentucky football fan though. The lack of investment into the football program went on for decades while other SEC programs went all-out. The SEC has won 16 National Football championships since I've been old enough to understand. Kentucky wasn't even close to being associated with one of those.

Watch Alabama win it all every other season. Watch Auburn, watch Georgia, Tennessee and Florida win it all. Watch LSU win it all.

What we are seeing now is a real investment in football at Kentucky, finally.

I don't understand people who are either football or basketball fans. I'm a fan of Kentucky.

I can't even describe the decades-long pain involved in being a Kentucky football fan though. The lack of investment into the football program went on for decades while other SEC programs went all-out. The SEC has won 16 National Football championships since I've been old enough to understand. Kentucky wasn't even close to being associated with one of those.

Watch Alabama win it all every other season. Watch Auburn, watch Georgia, Tennessee and Florida win it all. Watch LSU win it all.

What we are seeing now is a real investment in football at Kentucky, finally.

This is how I feel also. Born and raised in central Kentucky, UK graduate, but now living down in southeast TN, I still love to see UK have success in all of their sports. For me, like others have stated, I'm more of a football-first kind of guy. From football to Coach Cal/bball all the way on to the successful track and field teams, I also second what Beast Johnson said in an earlier message about the success of the UK baseball program. It's great seeing them do so well.

Reactions: RogerIndy
I really started watching UK football in ‘76 when we beat Penn St. Our Jr. High football coach would take me and some of my friends to a couple of games and that’s when I really started getting into it. I grew up playing and loving both but football has always been my favorite.

I love UK basketball and I had heroes growing up in the days of Grevey, Robie, Shidler, Goose, etc...but the game and my interest has changed with the oad thing. I liked watching the guys who knew what an honor it was to wear the Kentucky blue.

The worst fan imo is the b-ball only guy who comes over here during the season to applaud when we’re doing well and refer to UK as a b-ball school when we lose just to stir up crap...several of those on here.

Anyone who is a UK hoops fan and a Bama football fan is just a pure bandwagon jumper and beneath notice. I knew one girl in law school, however, who went to undergrad at Bama and then came up to Kentucky Law. She had a good reason....

I cheer for all UK teams, but I am much more of a football fan, and a season ticket holder for football only. I did not grow up in the commonwealth, and I am from a Penn State family, where my grandpa was a Dean. So football is my first love. I still like PSU but when we run into them in a bowl game someday it will be a family civil war and I’ll be saying “GO CATS!”

As a lover of college sports, I’m always interested in how fans became fans, if their fanhood is mobile, how intense it is, etc.

As for me, I grew up only 5 blocks from UTs campus. Sold cokes as a kid at Neyland and snuck in at night under the fence to play there with friends. Went to college and later worked at UT.
So, my fanhood was set early and I root for UT in all sports.

But, I know some people that only root for UT in one sport. Some Lady Vol hoop fans I know actually root against UT football for various reasons. Some UT football fans are UK or non men’s basketball fans. And now that men’s basketball is getting better, some are saying they like basketball more.

Anyway, getting to my question.
Do you know many UK basketball fans that don’t care about UK football or vice versa?
I grew up in Lexington, about 10 minutes from the UK campus. Been a diehard UK supporter my whole life. Football is the best sport in the world, but I love UK football and UK basketball equally. I have to say though, the one and done thing has put a dent in my enthusiasm for UK basketball.

On the other hand, I have family in Knoxville who are UT alum and diehard UT fans. If we don't beat the Vols tomorrow, well ... I don't even want to think about that possibility. I'd much rather lose both basketball games than this football game. And that's every year.

Reactions: bluecoon1
Anyone who is a UK hoops fan and a Bama football fan is just a pure bandwagon jumper and beneath notice. I knew one girl in law school, however, who went to undergrad at Bama and then came up to Kentucky Law. She had a good reason....

I cheer for all UK teams, but I am much more of a football fan, and a season ticket holder for football only. I did not grow up in the commonwealth, and I am from a Penn State family, where my grandpa was a Dean. So football is my first love. I still like PSU but when we run into them in a bowl game someday it will be a family civil war and I’ll be saying “GO CATS!”

Yea, Matt Jones of KSR went to Duke Law School, but went to all of the Duke basketball games wearing UK gear and rooting for whoever Duke was playing.

Do you know many UK basketball fans that don’t care about UK football or vice versa?

Not very many. Are they out there? Yes, but most of the UK fans I know are UK fans. Like me, they bleed BLUE.

Heck, look over this board and you will find UK fans that really only pull for one sport. I really chuckle at the people that pull for UK BB and say Bama in FB. Those are not UK fans IMO.,,just fans a a particular sports team.

However, it's understandable to have fans that like one "sport" over another but still bleed BLUE.

!”
Actually that’s not a good enough reason. She’s still latching onto the premiere sport at each school.

The only person that can be an ardent fan of both as 1a and 1b, is someone who played fb at Bama..and transferred to play b-ball at UK.

Otherwise, they suck

I'm a UK sports fan. I love all of the sports at UK. I'm from eastern KY and back in the day I use to go to the top of the mountains just to get the radio broadcast and listen to Cawood call the games. This was before every game was on tv and the radio stations were not as strong broadcasting as they are now. When the games were on tv my friends and I would gather at one house and watch the games on tv but turn the tv sound down and turn Cawood up. Nothing better than listen to Cadwood call the basketball or football games of belovied Cats.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
I'm a UK sports fan. I love all of the sports at UK. I'm from eastern KY and back in the day I use to go to the top of the mountains just to get the radio broadcast and listen to Cawood call the games. This was before every game was on tv and the radio stations were not as strong broadcasting as they are now. When the games were on tv my friends and I would gather at one house and watch the games on tv but turn the tv sound down and turn Cawood up. Nothing better than listen to Cadwood call the basketball or football games of belovied Cats.

Reminds me of when I was in the Army at Ft Bliss and would drive up on the side of Mt Franklin over El Paso in order to get the games on the Louisville station in my 49 chevy that cost me $150. I could hear about every other word through the static.

Reactions: kritikalcat
I was born in Knoxville and my parents had UT season tickets (not lifelong fans, just obtained through a business client because it was the thing to do. Mom was from Lexington.). Moved to Lex at a year old, and grew up a Cat fan.

First became aware of UK football and basketball around 1973. Remember my parents talking about the UK UCLA game in 75. Went to my first game in 76. First football game was actually between UK and UT freshmen or JV. First varsity was vs VA Tech in 73 or 74. Parents had football season tickets - great seats on the 50, 26 rows up - from the day Commonwealth opened unt about 1983 and my mom stopped going and started letting my brother and I split her tickets in 76, not bad years to start as a Wildcats football fan. I heard enough about the cursed post-Bear history to not get my expectations up too high, but have also always felt we could be at that level again.

I am a fan of all UK teams, but football is #1. I like the underdog aspect. I like the coordination, teamwork, discipline, and development needed to be successful. Basketball is 2, but I just haven't much interest since late in Tubby Smith's tenure. Back in the Pitino and Smith days dad and I went to the SEC tourney every year. A couple of Final 4s, and games in Rupp when we could grab tickets. I root for the Cats to do well with Coach Cal, but don't often care on a game to game basis.

I'm a UK alumnus, also attended BCTC, EKU, and Morehead State; but while I might watch other schools play I'm only a UK fan. Pro sports I have no favorite teams, just like to see former Kentucky players do well.

As a lover of college sports, I’m always interested in how fans became fans, if their fanhood is mobile, how intense it is, etc.

As for me, I grew up only 5 blocks from UTs campus. Sold cokes as a kid at Neyland and snuck in at night under the fence to play there with friends. Went to college and later worked at UT.
So, my fanhood was set early and I root for UT in all sports.

But, I know some people that only root for UT in one sport. Some Lady Vol hoop fans I know actually root against UT football for various reasons. Some UT football fans are UK or non men’s basketball fans. And now that men’s basketball is getting better, some are saying they like basketball more.

I know a couple that are somewhat apathetic about UK football, but I dont know any that root for UK basketball and openly root for another team in football, though I'm sure a few of those bandwagoners exist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT