ADVERTISEMENT

i mean this in all seriousness and without trying to start anything

I don't have time to go through three pages of posts right now, but I will tell you that when I raise this question about a year ago, someone suggested the Facebook group. I joined it but the problem is that it's not very lively. Maybe if everybody here who wants peaceful, respectful discussion made an effort to post there, things could improve.

I feel you man. I don't have any problems with the Cal haters and player bashers except when it bleeds over into threads where it doesn't have any business being there.

I don't have any specific examples but it's pretty often we have a thread that for example might showcase a standout play from a player. Imagine a post highlighting Reed's dunk against Ark, then the first reply is, "Great dunk, but imagine how many more highlights he would have if Cal ran plays for him!"

C'mon guys, no one cares, the post is about celebrating that play.

The 2nd best coach to ever coach here doesn't.

1. - Go what is now going on 9 years without making a Final Four
2. - Have a 9-16 season
3. - Lose in the 1st round to a 15 seed
4. - After the 2019 NCAA tournament. Have only 1 NCAA tournament win
This would be considered bashing Cal.

Facts are not hate. Stating truth is not bashing.

Our society is soft.

My Drill Sargent would like to spend some quality time with some people who post here.

Is there any UK basketball board where rational fans can talk UK and college basketball? this place has been so full of nonsensical Calipari hate it is just not a legitimate forum where reality can be talked about. I mean he isn't god he does make mistakes and he can be hard headed but No one in their right mind can argue he is one of the all time greats and while he had a few down years ( relatively as we were a 2 seed 3 seasons ago and a good not great season last year) He has righted the ship and has us as one of the top 5 teams in terms of a chance to cut down the nets . Yet people on here spend more threads attacking him as if he was some shlub not the 2nd greatest coach at UK ever. It just gets tiring when all I want to do is talk realistically about UK basketball , recruiting and sometimes UK players in the NBA . Is that too much to ask? There has to be a site for normal UK fans who aren't nuts in the worst way.
Use the IGNORE feature as often as needed. It makes for a much better and quicker forum reading experience when you don't have to wade through the trash.

This would be considered bashing Cal.

Facts are not hate. Stating truth is not bashing.

Our society is soft.

My Drill Sargent would like to spend some quality time with some people who post here.

main-qimg-e205af075ea94b7a73f3fc87eb33cc7b

Is there any UK basketball board where rational fans can talk UK and college basketball? this place has been so full of nonsensical Calipari hate it is just not a legitimate forum where reality can be talked about. I mean he isn't god he does make mistakes and he can be hard headed but No one in their right mind can argue he is one of the all time greats and while he had a few down years ( relatively as we were a 2 seed 3 seasons ago and a good not great season last year) He has righted the ship and has us as one of the top 5 teams in terms of a chance to cut down the nets . Yet people on here spend more threads attacking him as if he was some shlub not the 2nd greatest coach at UK ever. It just gets tiring when all I want to do is talk realistically about UK basketball , recruiting and sometimes UK players in the NBA . Is that too much to ask? There has to be a site for normal UK fans who aren't nuts in the worst way.
Your post is entitled "I mean this in all seriousness and without trying to start anything . . . ." In that spirit -- I hope you find another board where the only opinions expressed are consistent with yours. Good luck with that.

I tend to agree, but it is what it is. Everyone is free to vent and speak their piece.

Sometimes the complaints are exhausting. Bitch about wins. Bitch about losses. Always bitching. If my hobbies made me this irrationally angry over something I have absolutely zero control over, I’d find a new hobby. That said, some people are just naturally negative in life.

I’m indifferent to Cal. If he leaves, cool. If he stays, alright then (not my call). But the same 12 posters posting the same 4 things in every thread makes this board kind of shitty.

Take a thread last week just mentioning top 10 road losses. Didn’t even mention Kentucky and the same 3-4 posters jump on OP “DONT MATTER WHAT OTHER TEAMS DO. CAL MADE YOU LEARN TO ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY.” I view this as certain gatekeeping posters now will not let normal people even discuss the national landscape without turning it into a F Cal thread.

After a while the redundant screeching in every topic gets old. Same things typed the same way. Every day. Many times per day. Absolutely nothing new is being said.

You think Calipari’s first 7 years are second to Pitinos 7 years at Kentucky?
Yes Pitino's are better. If Calipari would have left at that point he could have been compared favorably to Pitino. Unfortunately he stayed. Calipari doesn't have a winning percentage at UK over .800 does he?

Last edited:

Your hero is not one of the greats. The greats have at least 2 or even 3 titles.

I tend to agree, but it is what it is. Everyone is free to vent and speak their piece.

Sometimes the complaints are exhausting. Bitch about wins. Bitch about losses. Always bitching. If my hobbies made me this irrationally angry over something I have absolutely zero control over, I’d find a new hobby. That said, some people are just naturally negative in life.

I’m indifferent to Cal. If he leaves, cool. If he stays, alright then (not my call). But the same 12 posters posting the same 4 things in every thread makes this board kind of shitty.

Take a thread last week just mentioning top 10 road losses. Didn’t even mention Kentucky and the same 3-4 posters jump on OP “DONT MATTER WHAT OTHER TEAMS DO. CAL MADE YOU LEARN TO ACCEPT MEDIOCRITY.” I view this as certain gatekeeping posters now will not let normal people even discuss the national landscape without turning it into a F Cal thread.

After a while the redundant screeching in every topic gets old. Same things typed the same way. Every day. Many times per day. Absolutely nothing new is being said.
Those are the posters that I "ignore". I like "haters" who still talk basketball, but if they are agenda driven....nope. Even worse than those are the same type posters on the other side of the coin. Constant Cal "whatever the name" with their blue colored glasses and no real discussions get the same anymore. Life is better that way.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I seriously question the sanity of people who think everything is sunshine and rainbows. Our program has been very unspectacular the last several years and this year still looks like a toss up. Time to win the SEC, win the SECT, get a 1 seed and make a final four. Those failures are piling up.

We all have opinions. I like reading them all whether I agree or not. Good thing we all aren't the same. Be a bunch of robots walking around. Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree.

Your hero is not one of the greats. The greats have at least 2 or even 3 titles.
Another Cal apologist?? You do know this is UK you are talking about right. A two seed losing to St. Peters is pathetic. Last year was horrible by UK standards. One NCAAT win in the past 4 years is even worse. Yes, Cal had some good years early, but nothing since the loss to Wisconsin 9 years ago.

Head to head competetition doesn't agree. Cal has owned Sextino.
That's not what I said. Of course Calipari won when it was UK against Louisville. All the UK coaches did including Pitino.
I said Pitino was the second best coach AT UK.
After the probation year Pitino coached teams finished in the AP Top 10 every year. The most losses he ever had in a year was 7. He was ranked number 1 seven different times while he was here.
Calipari coached teams have losses by yr of
9, 11, ,12, 9, 11, 16, 12 .
Calipari teams have been ranked number 1 two different times in 14 years.
There's really no comparison.

Another Cal apologist?? You do know this is UK you are talking about right. A two seed losing to St. Peters is pathetic. Last year was horrible by UK standards. One NCAAT win in the past 4 years is even worse. Yes, Cal had some good years early, but nothing since the loss to Wisconsin 9 years ago.

Reading comprehension does wonders.

I’m about sick of taking the time to make a point only to have some yahoo get mad because they’re not getting the validation they sought and forcing the whole thread to be deleted. Just zap the offending post(s). A lot of good conversations have been lost to randos temper tantrums.
True that.

Reactions: chroix

Almost entirely nonsensical.

I seriously question the sanity of people who think everything is sunshine and rainbows. Our program has been very unspectacular the last several years and this year still looks like a toss up. Time to win the SEC, win the SECT, get a 1 seed and make a final four. Those failures are piling up.
Well you’re about to get the lecture…..

You know the one where someone tells a large group that a game isn’t that important, and we should spend more time with our families, read a book, find a new hobby, etc….

Like most of us aren’t normal family people that have jobs; coach, officiate, are involved in our church, etc…

The problem with a lot of people here is that they lack awareness. They can’t read a room to save their lives.

This is a UK message board and people are going to be negative. Just Skip those topics.

Reactions: TM2013
While Pitino gets major deductions for bolting here for the NBA, going to Louisville and being a morally decrepit SOB...he's (without a doubt) one of the sharpest strategists in the history of the game. A list that Calipari would never luck his way onto.

I definitely think Calipari is a better person than Pitino. And that does mean something to me. But if we're talking purely best coaches in our history, Pitino is #2 and it isn't close.
Tubby is a better person than both of them. What do they all have in common? All three have one championship.

Reactions: cathouse
Start your own Cal is not that good of a Coach and for what he has done at UK he is terrible. Basically he has given up every record in our history.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I just wish some threads would open up and be the place for it. Like a bitch at Cal thread, or a dedicated Edwards and DJ thread. Even though DJ is awesome he still gets hated on so often it’s crazy to me. But every game it’s the same stuff especially after a loss. I don’t even visit for a day or two. It was well known that this class wasn’t the best overall and I think we can see in Edwards and Bradshaw 2 guys with talent that need more time to be the players they can be in college. Both need another year at least and more time in the gym and strength training room. I hope both return but honestly if I read all the time how a lot of the fanbase felt about me then I’d probably dip too. I’ve even seen a couple post sad that Edwards wasn’t sick or hurt. That’s pretty awful.
I think DJ is a slick player .. but he's just not a great fit on a college team ? If that makes sense . I've been hard on Edwards , but really its the head man's fault .. set guys up to succeed , not fail .. You see the guy is struggling , let him come off the bench , like 6th man , so he can relax some . But Csal has a way to get into players head's .. not in a good way .. JMHO

All the negativity will end as soon as CCC is replaced! He's done too much damage here to ever recover from.
Lol keep telling yourself that. The clowns that are negative will continue to be negative because every single loss is gloom and doom. We have a great shot at winning the sec this season, currently have 4 losses and looking at a 2/3 seed and the world is ending to some on here

This.

I visit on game day and for Aike’s stats and whatnot. I think there are some good people on here, like Fox2monk, and a few others who legit want to talk basketball.

I don’t understand why every single thread turns into a Calipari hate thread. I also get incredibly amused after a loss when everyone who didn’t contribute to a good conversation starts coming out of the woodwork and starting hate threads on players and coaches. If those folks truly have that much venom in their life, I feel bad for them. If those folks are trolls from other teams, I feel even worse for them. They should have better things to do with their life.
I agree. I love the posters who actually talk basketball because I like to learn from them. There are several posters on here that I respect and those are the ones I'm talking about. Enough with the hate.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

Reactions: UKortho
and you just killed your credibility here

In my eyes, Cal has been able to do one thing better than Pitino - beat Carolina on a regular basis (and Cal never had to face Dean Smith). Other than that, assuming you can separate off court antics and coaching acumen, I don't see how you can say Cal is far better, or even just plain better
Dude , he didn’t have any to lose .

• Haha
If you’re gonna bitch about content that’s not about basketball maybe try not starting threads that aren’t about basketball.

• Haha
Would be nice if we could get more true criticism, not the childish nicknames and "but Cal's the coach" blah blah within 4-5 posts on every topic.

I don't mind debate, but sometimes this place gets to be too much. I really doubt some of these people are fans (on both sides pumpers or dumpers) but instead someone who likes stirring the pot.

I fall somewhere between them. I see the value in Cal's whole tenure. Covid season was a mess and the NIT year with Nerlens getting hurt was the NCAA giving us the finger. Other than those two, the results haven't been that bad.

Also, he's not a great in-game coach (Pitino wasn't either see '92 Duke not fronting Laettner and not playing Anderson and leaving Nazr in to miss FTs in 98). I kind of hoped he was going to Texas a few years back as it felt he was getting burned out here. He proved me wrong and for the second time in 3 years, we have a team in the top 5-10 to win it all. Will injuries get us again or a crazy early upset? Maybe, happens to everyone.
A few years back? That was just last season.

Agree, but there are a few that beat dead horses in a futile attempt to bring anyone down into their muddy misery. They can't be critical without making it about things like "the new narrative" and some other snarky garbage to "call out" fans that aren't as deep in their hate for Cal (and in some cases maybe even UK). They love conflict and arguing. They love it, and I blame social media in general.

So yeah, people are free to share their opinions, but tact and respect has LONG gone out the window thanks to the anonymity the internet and social media provides. Hell, I don't even see anyone holding the door for people these days. They don't let people in at a merge during traffic. They are more aggressive in all areas, except face to face (and even this is become more edgy).

Just yesterday one guy in particular (a known Cal misery pusher) started THREE thread topics to bash either Cal or UK fans that don't share in his/her extreme hate. The day before, right after a win, the other regular Cal basher themselves started two Cal-hate or opposing opinion fan call out threads. These same two clowns muck up threads with their misery even if the topic is not even remotely related to the context of Calipari criticism.

It's insufferable, and while the extreme Cal apologists can be annoying, there is nothing more annoying than the handful of hateful, anti-Cal agenda pushers. They don't realize how bad they are, but even then, they rationalize their hate with "well, it's Cal's fault I'm so pissed...I'm a true UK fan".

EDIT> Just look at the handful of responses already: "if you don't like it, leave"...."what, do you sleep with a full time Cal doll?"...."go visit other boards...good luck in your search". Of course, the OP was fooling themselves if they thought coming in with this "heartfelt" thread topic wasn't going to draw in these kinds of sophomoric responses. Hell, threads about beer or ice cream at Rupp have been turned into Cal hate threads (somehow)...

The bottom line, not everyone enjoys conflict in their discussions. Not everyone wants to spend their sports enjoyment time arguing. But hey, that's why today's most popular sports talk shows are 2-3 dudes arguing and getting nasty with each other. It's apparently what Americans want right now.
The responses about people holding doors open and being courteous is fact. Idk it all happened after 2019. The main stream news and the media at large made everyone afraid of each other. During covid imo. I’m sure social media has some play in it too.

This.

I visit on game day and for Aike’s stats and whatnot. I think there are some good people on here, like Fox2monk, and a few others who legit want to talk basketball.

I don’t understand why every single thread turns into a Calipari hate thread. I also get incredibly amused after a loss when everyone who didn’t contribute to a good conversation starts coming out of the woodwork and starting hate threads on players and coaches. If those folks truly have that much venom in their life, I feel bad for them. If those folks are trolls from other teams, I feel even worse for them. They should have better things to do with their life.
I agree 💯. I don’t mind criticism of Cal or the players but it goes way over the top. Sometimes it’s more personal than factual analysis of the game.

We will win 6 in a row and people are like “yeah we can make a final four this year!” Then if we lose a road game by 1(even though we looked like crap last week still went 1-1.) like the T A&M game.

Now we suck and Cal doesn’t know anything and has ruined the year again! Bench DJ and Edwards forever. It’s like the same players always get picked on, sometimes it’s not even warranted. DJ has been really good overall and had some great game yet some act like he is Kahlil “dragon” Whitney.

DJ has wanted to play here probably for 6-8 years, if not longer. He is a great kid, and he’s a good player/Team mate. Somehow he still gets blasted on here even in decent games. Like you said not every thread needs to be a venom filled complaint that derailed another separate thread.

I agree 💯. I don’t mind criticism of Cal or the players but it goes way over the top. Sometimes it’s more personal than factual analysis of the game.

We will win 6 in a row and people are like “yeah we can make a final four this year!” Then if we lose a road game by 1(even though we looked like crap last week still went 1-1.) like the T A&M game.

Now we suck and Cal doesn’t know anything and has ruined the year again! Bench DJ and Edwards forever. It’s like the same players always get picked on, sometimes it’s not even warranted. DJ has been really good overall and had some great game yet some act like he is Kahlil “dragon” Whitney.

DJ has wanted to play here probably for 6-8 years, if not longer. He is a great kid, and he’s a good player/Team mate. Somehow he still gets blasted on here even in decent games. Like you said not every thread needs to be a venom filled complaint that derailed another separate thread.

The problem is Cal used to mix in elite teams every few seasons. That hasn't happened in a while. He's probably not winning a title without an elite team. Can he still do it? I seriously doubt it, but it's possible. People are ready to start winning at a Kentucky level again, regardless. Win the SEC regular season, win the SEC tournament. 1 SEC tournament win since 2019, and our last SEC regular season title was 2020. You know the rest, we've been stuck in the 1st weekend of the NCAA tournament since 2019. Plenty of shit for people to bitch about.

If you can’t see Khalil Whitney is going to be a lottery pick you don’t know basketball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT