ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from Dick Gabriel

Mar 7, 2022
This man has been a part of UK Football longer than some of you have been alive. This post by him is spot on and worth the read. Speedy recovery Mr. Gabriel, we hope to see you back on the sidelines next season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by Dick Gabriel of the UK Sports Network

This week's news about Mark Stoops and Texas A&M has, once again, touched off a discussion about his merits as UK coach and, not surprisingly, they seem to be divided generationally.

There will always be people who judge you by your most recent game or season - that's the nature of sports.

But I have to smile about people who profess to be UK fans who scoff at what Stoops has accomplished (and yes, I'm a member of the UK Sports Network, so take this for what it's worth).

People need to remember just two things: When Stoops arrived, Kentucky had hit rock bottom, losing to Vanderbilt, in a blowout, in a Commonwealth Stadium that was nearly empty by game's end. And this, not long after a run by Rich Brooks who had led his team what at the time seemed like an amazing run of four straight bowl games.

And now Stoops has produced twice as many bowl teams and a pair of 10-win seasons, not to mention a couple of times flirted with the SEC East title. But many fans, who weren't around for the Bad Old Days, dismiss that to fortunate scheduling for a guy who is one of 10 highest-paid coaches in the country.

And while admitting the past two seasons have seen the Wildcats fall short of expectations, there is one thing his harshest critics must accept - he's doing it at an unprecedented time of wealth in the SEC. Top "football" schools have never spent more on coaches, facilities and recruiting. If a program is backing up right now, it's not for lack of trying or interest. Competition in this conference has never been keener.

And still, some folks expect Kentucky to overtake and pass the Georgias and Alabamas of the world. The same people find abhorrent a similar notion when it comes to basketball - no team should EVER blow past Kentucky when it comes to hoops, even though it would take fewer players than it does in football.

Stoops has raised the talent level at UK, without question. But talent is not exactly dropping off within the teams he's trying to chase down. Always remember this: In the end, it's talent that matters.

That's why we choose up sides in the schoolyard.

Kinda the same rhetoric we always hear for why we should accept mediocrity. Yes, we know when Stoops came the program was at rock bottom. THAT WAS 11 YEARS AGO. My how folks love to harp on the past and let it dictate the future.

Stoops has done some great things for the program no doubt, but of late, his teams often don’t play to their talent potential. That doesn’t mean I expect us to compete with Georgia and Alabama, but I do expect us to stay in the game for longer than half a quarter. If we play disciplined, solid football and still lose, so be it. But that’s not what is happening most of the time. For every UL game, there are 3 SC type performances. We don’t look like we’re well coached except for a game or two per year and for a guy that makes $9m/yr, that’s not good enough. In any other profession, it wouldn’t be tolerated.

If Stoops makes changes and we play better next year, great. But if we continue the poor play then it’s time for a change. Stoops needs to earn his paycheck next year.

Last edited:
Kinda the same rhetoric we always hear for why we should accept mediocrity. Yes, we know when Stoops came the program was at rock bottom. THAT WAS 11 YEARS AGO. My how folks love to harp on the past and let it dictate the future.

Stoops has done some great things for the program no doubt, but of late, his teams often don’t play to their talent potential. That doesn’t mean I expect us to compete with Georgia and Alabama, but I do expect us to stay in the game for longer than half a quarter. If we play disciplined, solid football and still lose, so be it. But that’s not what is happening most of the time. For every UL game, there are 3 SC type performances. We don’t look like we’re well coached except for a game or two per year and for a guy that makes $9m/yr, that’s not good enough. In any other profession, it wouldn’t be tolerated.

If Stoops makes changes and we play better next year, great. But if we continue the poor play then it’s time for a change. Stoops needs to earn his paycheck next year.

I'm not an old head that thinks UK should give Stoops a lifetime contract regardless of results. But, one thing I notice from "newer" UK football fans is this dismissal about where we came from. There is no guarantee that uK stays at the 6-8 win level. If 7-5 is as bad as things get around here, that's still miles better than what they used to be. I think we should absolutely strive for more, but if stoops leaves and the wrong choice is made for the next guy, then the bad old days could be back again sooner rather than later.

I'm not an old head that thinks UK should give Stoops a lifetime contract regardless of results. But, one thing I notice from "newer" UK football fans is this dismissal about where we came from. There is no guarantee that uK stays at the 6-8 win level. If 7-5 is as bad as things get around here, that's still miles better than what they used to be. I think we should absolutely strive for more, but if stoops leaves and the wrong choice is made for the next guy, then the bad old days could be back again sooner rather than later.
Yeah for those 3 hours we thought Stoops was gone, the prospects were pretty empty for a replacement. Sumrall seems great, but I think he needs more time.

Yeah for those 3 hours we thought Stoops was gone, the prospects were pretty empty for a replacement. Sumrall seems great, but I think he needs more time.
Not sure the general fan is very familiar with all the coaching options available. And look, I’m not unhappy Stoops is back, but he has to do better than he has the last couple of years. We have not been well coached. He makes too much money for us to have so many embarrassing performances.

Stoops has done some great things for the program no doubt, but of late, his teams often don’t play to their talent potential.
According to who? Who says this yr & last yrs team were bursting with so much talent so UK should win more? Internet nobodies like me & you?

Or the genius poster who this summer declared this would be Stoops most talented defense? Despite nobody on the roster near being a Josh Allen or Michael Edwards?

Fact is we ain't that talented, get real and get neutral independent opinions not KSR or Cats Pause. How many Guys were drafted off last yrs 7-6 team? How many were All-SEC? Who's gonna get drafted off this 7-5 team? Who performed as one of the best in the SEC?

Reality is harsh but it is still the fact, we don't recruit top end talent, we don't develop very many into the best players in the SEC, and we have very few the NFL view as draft abEdward's? is a talent game, not x's and o's. And fans need to recognize the talent gap with opponents like UL or South Carolina or Missouri ain't that great, if we even have more talent than them to begin with. Sorry, we all want to think we are so far beyond them, but we ain't, and probably never will be.

According to who? Who says this yr & last yrs team were bursting with so much talent so UK should win more? Internet nobodies like me & you?

Or the genius poster who this summer declared this would be Stoops most talented defense? Despite nobody on the roster near being a Josh Allen or Michael Edwards?

Fact is we ain't that talented, get real and get neutral independent opinions not KSR or Cats Pause. How many Guys were drafted off last yrs 7-6 team? How many were All-SEC? Who's gonna get drafted off this 7-5 team? Who performed as one of the best in the SEC?

Reality is harsh but it is still the fact, we don't recruit top end talent, we don't develop very many into the best players in the SEC, and we have very few the NFL view as draft abEdward's? is a talent game, not x's and o's. And fans need to recognize the talent gap with opponents like UL or South Carolina or Missouri ain't that great, if we even have more talent than them to begin with. Sorry, we all want to think we are so far beyond them, but we ain't, and probably never will be.
Did you watch all of our games this year? If you did and thought we were well prepared and played to our potential, then I can’t help you. Bless your heart.

One thing I don’t understand is the obsession with how much money coaches are paid?

Folks, it’s not YOUR money. The University has entered into an agreement with coaches. The amount they make should not matter at ALL.

CMS has done great things here and my guess is he will do more here. The money he is paid is irrelevant!

Mr. Gabriel is a very well-respected journalist and not a UK homer. He presents the facts just like Dave Baker, Jeff Peciero and Freddie Maggard.

Some of you all would complain if we went 12-0 or 0-12, nothing would ever make you happy.

Just last night, UK demolished the #8 team in the country and there were still people complaining about the last 4 minutes when we were up by 28 and we only won by 22.....never satisfied.

11 years ago we started taking football a little more serious and started investing in it. Stoops is the only coach we’ve had since then so who knows what UK could or couldn’t do with a new coach. I’m pretty sure we can find one who can at least make sure we have 11 on the field and their team would look motivated and well coached. Outside of Louisville and Florida we haven’t looked well prepared.

That's because there's a general assumption that Sumrall would be Mitch's first call. That's more than likely not the case, A lot of factors play into that decision. As I type this i look below at the Similar Threads list and see the "Missouri proves you don't have to settle" thread. Missouri hit lightning in a bottle this year, We hit it in 2018 and 2021, there's nothing to say that we can't get to that or better again in coming seasons, there's also nothing to say that Missouri won't fall back into mediocrity in the coming seasons either. this season is not an indication that Missouri has arrived and suddenly they will be competing for SEC Championships in the coming years.

Gabriel is right. The reason why people bring up our past is because is INSANELY relevant. And looking at the history of college football, the programs who have been able to overcome their pasts have done so with longevity. Stoops has, no doubt, trended the program in the right direction......but there's no magic target date to determine that UK has done enough to change it's past. The only thing you can say is that the longer you win the less likely you are to go back to where you were.

So, the safest play is to continue to ride Stoops.....and it's BY FAR the most likely pathway to changing our horrid history. And if you're going to make a change, you better get it right. You had better have a guy ready to go.....and ideally they will be of the mindset to stay.

I don't think many expected us to catch, much less overtake the top teams. So that's a red herring to me. OTOH, we didn't think that at this point we'd be being blown out by them in the first half, and at home some years we'd give them quite a tussle. Regardless of wins, I think the best competing team with the top since 2000 was the 2007 team before Stoops was even a thought.

Gabriel is right. The reason why people bring up our past is because is INSANELY relevant. And looking at the history of college football, the programs who have been able to overcome their pasts have done so with longevity. Stoops has, no doubt, trended the program in the right direction......but there's no magic target date to determine that UK has done enough to change it's past. The only thing you can say is that the longer you win the less likely you are to go back to where you were.

So, the safest play is to continue to ride Stoops.....and it's BY FAR the most likely pathway to changing our horrid history. And if you're going to make a change, you better get it right. You had better have a guy ready to go.....and ideally they will be of the mindset to stay.
Our past has absolutely nothing to do with our future. Once we started investing in the football program that changed our future projection. If we stopped investing in basketball it would go in the shitter as well. If you don’t support something it’ll never succeed at the college level. That’s why our football program has been so-so. I’m not saying we can ever be Georgia or Bama but we can move up another rung in the SEC and be competitive with the elite.

he's doing it at an unprecedented time of wealth in the SEC. Top "football" schools have never spent more on coaches, facilities and recruiting. If a program is backing up right now, it's not for lack of trying or interest. Competition in this conference has never been keener.
This what sticks out to me. Fair assessment.

We don’t look like we’re well coached except for a game or two per year and for a guy that makes $9m/yr, that’s not good enough. In any other profession, it wouldn’t be tolerated.
Agree...quite aggravating.

This man has been a part of UK Football longer than some of you have been alive. This post by him is spot on and worth the read. Speedy recovery Mr. Gabriel, we hope to see you back on the sidelines next season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week's news about Mark Stoops and Texas A&M has, once again, touched off a discussion about his merits as UK coach and, not surprisingly, they seem to be divided generationally.

There will always be people who judge you by your most recent game or season - that's the nature of sports.

But I have to smile about people who profess to be UK fans who scoff at what Stoops has accomplished (and yes, I'm a member of the UK Sports Network, so take this for what it's worth).

People need to remember just two things: When Stoops arrived, Kentucky had hit rock bottom, losing to Vanderbilt, in a blowout, in a Commonwealth Stadium that was nearly empty by game's end. And this, not long after a run by Rich Brooks who had led his team what at the time seemed like an amazing run of four straight bowl games.

And now Stoops has produced twice as many bowl teams and a pair of 10-win seasons, not to mention a couple of times flirted with the SEC East title. But many fans, who weren't around for the Bad Old Days, dismiss that to fortunate scheduling for a guy who is one of 10 highest-paid coaches in the country.

And while admitting the past two seasons have seen the Wildcats fall short of expectations, there is one thing his harshest critics must accept - he's doing it at an unprecedented time of wealth in the SEC. Top "football" schools have never spent more on coaches, facilities and recruiting. If a program is backing up right now, it's not for lack of trying or interest. Competition in this conference has never been keener.

And still, some folks expect Kentucky to overtake and pass the Georgias and Alabamas of the world. The same people find abhorrent a similar notion when it comes to basketball - no team should EVER blow past Kentucky when it comes to hoops, even though it would take fewer players than it does in football.

Stoops has raised the talent level at UK, without question. But talent is not exactly dropping off within the teams he's trying to chase down. Always remember this: In the end, it's talent that matters.

Disagree on several points...
EVERY team in the sec is chasing Ga/Alabama. I'm a 37 year season ticket holder and I don't know of a SINGLE person that's raising hell or expecting UK to overtake Ga/Alabama! I do know plenty that are tired of getting embarrassed by these schools and others. Hint...we've lost to SC two years in a row, Vandy last year and we're outscored by Missouri 35-0 over the last three qtrs this YEAR AT HOME.
We should not be losing to these people the way we are.
We are paying Stoops a T10 salary for T40-45 results. We struggled to beat our rival this year with 1st yr HC and a program in disarray.
NO coach in UK history has had more fan support, money for anything he wants to be successful to be one of the T5-6 teams in the SEC.
Stoops needs to wake up and realize his offensive philosophy is not going to work in cfb in 2023.
Oh, and Mr. Gabriel...COACHING MATTERS because philosophy matters!
Please stop with this Alabama/Georgia thing. It would be great, but l know very few fans that feel that way, but want to be as good or better than the rest
Hope DG has a speedy recovery🙏🙏

Great post. Well said.

Actually, it was members of the coaching staff and media folks who claim to have inside knowledge of the team that was blowing up Leary, Key, Brown, Kattus, Walker, Wallace and others claiming this was going to be our year.

Naturally that raised the expectation level of most fans who want UK to take that next step.

Instead, we got an underprepared, unmotivated, undisciplined, disjointed team in way too many games against teams we actually had more talent.

Don't blame this mess on the fans.

CMS has got a lot of work to do to regain the trust of players, fans, and even his own staff and AD.

I am sure he knows that. I hope this fiasco helps CMS to refocus and make needed changes to keep UK from falling back to the bottom of the SEC.

Our past has absolutely nothing to do with our future. Once we started investing in the football program that changed our future projection. If we stopped investing in basketball it would go in the shitter as well. If you don’t support something it’ll never succeed at the college level. That’s why our football program has been so-so. I’m not saying we can ever be Georgia or Bama but we can move up another rung in the SEC and be competitive with the elite.

So, you're telling me that if UK and Ohio St offered Kirby Smart $15 million/year that we would have an equal chance to get him?? If Saban retires and Bama reduces support that they would win 4 games/year? Why don't historically bad programs just rise up and become great simply by investing? That history has "absolutely nothing" to do with any of it? When did UK start to invest in the football program? What came first.......Brooks'/Stoops' wins or the investments?

Disagree on several points...
EVERY team in the sec is chasing Ga/Alabama. I'm a 37 year season ticket holder and I don't know of a SINGLE person that's raising hell or expecting UK to overtake Ga/Alabama! I do know plenty that are tired of getting embarrassed by these schools and others. Hint...we've lost to SC two years in a row, Vandy last year and we're outscored by Missouri 35-0 over the last three qtrs this YEAR AT HOME.
We should not be losing to these people the way we are.
We are paying Stoops a T10 salary for T40-45 results. We struggled to beat our rival this year with 1st yr HC and a program in disarray.
NO coach in UK history has had more fan support, money for anything he wants to be successful to be one of the T5-6 teams in the SEC.
Stoops needs to wake up and realize his offensive philosophy is not going to work in cfb in 2023.
Oh, and Mr. Gabriel...COACHING MATTERS because philosophy matters!
Please stop with this Alabama/Georgia thing. It would be great, but l know very few fans that feel that way, but want to be as good or better than the rest
Hope DG has a speedy recovery🙏🙏
Well said!

Reactions: K86
I don't think many expected us to catch, much less overtake the top teams. So that's a red herring to me. OTOH, we didn't think that at this point we'd be being blown out by them in the first half, and at home some years we'd give them quite a tussle. Regardless of wins, I think the best competing team with the top since 2000 was the 2007 team before Stoops was even a thought.
I agree to some extent, but the 2007 team also had some really bad losses despite upsetting #1 LSU. I think Stoops' 2018 and 2021 teams were a notch above the 2007 team.

Reactions: grevey35

No matter how you slice this or excuses made, after 11 years and more money spent on UK FB than ever, this is on the HC!

Not sure the general fan is very familiar with all the coaching options available. And look, I’m not unhappy Stoops is back, but he has to do better than he has the last couple of years. We have not been well coached. He makes too much money for us to have so many embarrassing performances.
Sometimes it’s players . They’re schemed well , but lose a one on one battle . Safety is late in coming over , or DB gets burnt . D-tackle misses a tackle …linebacker stiff arms a RB and doesn’t wrap up , even after being asked and taught to wrap up. Those things can add up against a top 10 team, and it underlines the importance of talent and getting the right , good players .
It’s like how bad Cal looks when we shoot 40% , versus 59% ( like last night against Miami). Last night could’ve been exactly the carbon copy same , but if only 38% of the shots would’ve gone in Cal would be getting hammered today .

Reactions: grevey35
Sometimes it’s players . They’re schemed well , but lose a one on one battle . Safety is late in coming over , or DB gets burnt . D-tackle misses a tackle …linebacker stiff arms a RB and doesn’t wrap up , even after being asked and taught to wrap up. Those things can add up against a top 10 team, and it underlines the importance of talent and getting the right , good players .
It’s like how bad Cal looks when we shoot 40% , versus 59% ( like last night against Miami). Last night could’ve been exactly the carbon copy same , but if only 38% of the shots would’ve gone in Cal would be getting hammered today .
So you don't see how much Cal has changed his scheme

So, you're telling me that if UK and Ohio St offered Kirby Smart $15 million/year that we would have an equal chance to get him?? If Saban retires and Bama reduces support that they would win 4 games/year? Why don't historically bad programs just rise up and become great simply by investing? That history has "absolutely nothing" to do with any of it? When did UK start to invest in the football program? What came first.......Brooks'/Stoops' wins or the investments?
What UK Football fan EXPECTS to compete with Ohio St or Bama for a coach???????

What we DO expect is to be DISCIPLINED enough to actually compete with those type of programs and not get BLOWN OUT by them. We are NEVER going to recruit at those schools level, so we have to play nearly mistake free football. That should be the EMPHASIS in Coach Stoops program. In his defense, The UofL game was a HUGE step forward in that department as we had ZERO penalties and even the COCKINESS seemed to be toned down during the game.

Now as for the "investing" part, coach Brooks was CONSTANTLY begging for more support from the UK administration. The recruiting room was the CORNER of the indoor facility that the football program HAD TO share with the UK Track team!!

Coach Stoops has received WAY more support from EVERYONE than Rich Brooks and thank the Lord for it!! But with that extra support and HIGH salary, WHY shouldn't our fans wants at least a LITTLE MORE than what we have seen these past 2 seasons? Especially when our coaching staff has been the very ones saying that they WANT to get to the level where we BEAT UGA!!

I think Dick Gabriel made a great point but you have made a great response here that really caps how a lot of us feel. Just give us well prepared teams and coaches who can make adjustments.

Well said!
Bama was losing games before Saban and all the support. He went 6-6 his first year at Bama with a loss to La Monroe. I’m saying our past failures mean absolutely jack shit with the future success of the program with the right coach and investment. If you want an example of a team throwing money at a program and building it look at Oregon. So yes it can be done. The investment came first with Stoops. Barnhardt told Stoops in the hiring process about the stadium upgrades and investment into the program. No argument can be made that we haven’t gotten better since we started taking football seriously and investing. Investing includes the head coach and assistant salaries along with the facilities. It’s all relative. Now we need to be able to invest with NIL to take us further.

Mr. Gabriel is a very well-respected journalist and not a UK homer. He presents the facts just like Dave Baker, Jeff Peciero and Freddie Maggard.

Some of you all would complain if we went 12-0 or 0-12, nothing would ever make you happy.

Just last night, UK demolished the #8 team in the country and there were still people complaining about the last 4 minutes when we were up by 28 and we only won by 22.....never satisfied.
He works for UK. Him and Baker etc have an underlying expectation to carry the water. Gabriel has survived for many years by doing this. He has never been challenging or confrontational. Bless his heart but the guy doesn’t get the jobs he has by being interesting. He’s bland and corporate.

Your exactly the type fan Mr. Gabriel is talking about. Why don't you go back and look at the quality coachesbthat's been in this program that couldn't make it happen over the years, you'll probably be surprised.

No matter how you slice this or excuses made, after 11 years and more money spent on UK FB than ever, this is on the HC!
Folks like you just fail to acknowledge everybody gets SEC TV money. Same share. UK doesn't get more TV cash than Mizzou or South Carolina or Miss St. No amount of money spent by UK over 11 yrs brought us past anybody not named Vandy. Everyone has been spending and investing for 11 yrs. Stop acting like UK football suddenly in 2013 was flooded with cash while the rest of the SEC (and Louisville) just stood still & watched.

Fair points. Losing to Bama and UGA is not the issue as much as how they lose. Blown out. Not even competitive games. That's the issue.

What UK Football fan EXPECTS to compete with Ohio St or Bama for a coach???????

What we DO expect is to be DISCIPLINED enough to actually compete with those type of programs and not get BLOWN OUT by them. We are NEVER going to recruit at those schools level, so we have to play nearly mistake free football. That should be the EMPHASIS in Coach Stoops program. In his defense, The UofL game was a HUGE step forward in that department as we had ZERO penalties and even the COCKINESS seemed to be toned down during the game.

Now as for the "investing" part, coach Brooks was CONSTANTLY begging for more support from the UK administration. The recruiting room was the CORNER of the indoor facility that the football program HAD TO share with the UK Track team!!

Coach Stoops has received WAY more support from EVERYONE than Rich Brooks and thank the Lord for it!! But with that extra support and HIGH salary, WHY shouldn't our fans wants at least a LITTLE MORE than what we have seen these past 2 seasons? Especially when our coaching staff has been the very ones saying that they WANT to get to the level where we BEAT UGA!!
Stoops’ approach to not getting blown out by top teams is to run fewer plays to keep the ball out of their hands to score.

Folks like you just fail to acknowledge everybody gets SEC TV money. Same share. UK doesn't get more TV cash than Mizzou or South Carolina or Miss St. No amount of money spent by UK over 11 yrs brought us past anybody not named Vandy. Everyone has been spending and investing for 11 yrs. Stop acting like UK football suddenly in 2013 was flooded with cash while the rest of the SEC (and Louisville) just stood still & watched.
You fail to acknowledge that all those programs were already investing in their programs while we were not. We didn’t take football serious until after Joker. They milked their bell cow (football money) until the stands were empty. We might not be ahead of any of them but we’re not miles behind anymore either like we used to be.

Why does what he makes matter? I've never understood that. If he made 3 million a year would you feel better?

I've been a fan over 30 years, I know how bad we've been. I think there are two ways of thinking in life. There's the low risk conservative approach that is safe. And there's the high risk high reward line of thinking. Neither way is inherently wrong. Me personally, I'm a high risk/reward type guy. I realize that getting a new coach could go south and take us back to the two win days. But hey, we've been there before and can get through it again. Know where we've never been before? We've never seriously competed for an SEC championship. And we won't with Stoops. I'd like us to at least try to get there and not just settle for being a step above Vandy for the rest of my life. I'm not saying it will be easy but it's impossible if you don't attempt it. I married a woman way out of my league. I could have been laughed off the face of the Earth when I asked her out, but I took a chance and I never would have known if I didn't. That's how I approach life. I understand why some don't. But just because some of us want to try for greater doesn't mean we are young and don't know any better.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT