ADVERTISEMENT

i mean this in all seriousness and without trying to start anything

caneintally

All-American
Oct 2, 2002
Jacksonville now , Louisville in my heart
Is there any UK basketball board where rational fans can talk UK and college basketball? this place has been so full of nonsensical Calipari hate it is just not a legitimate forum where reality can be talked about. I mean he isn't god he does make mistakes and he can be hard headed but No one in their right mind can argue he is one of the all time greats and while he had a few down years ( relatively as we were a 2 seed 3 seasons ago and a good not great season last year) He has righted the ship and has us as one of the top 5 teams in terms of a chance to cut down the nets . Yet people on here spend more threads attacking him as if he was some shlub not the 2nd greatest coach at UK ever. It just gets tiring when all I want to do is talk realistically about UK basketball , recruiting and sometimes UK players in the NBA . Is that too much to ask? There has to be a site for normal UK fans who aren't nuts in the worst way.

It’s not specifically UK related, but the college basketball Reddit is a fun page. It skews younger so it’s full of people who actually understand the realities of modern college basketball. Game threads for big games are usually pretty active.

I find it a good place to see what college basketball fans at large think of things.

Reactions: UKgal82 and BigKari
Is there any UK basketball board where rational fans can talk UK and college basketball? this place has been so full of nonsensical Calipari hate it is just not a legitimate forum where reality can be talked about. I mean he isn't god he does make mistakes and he can be hard headed but No one in their right mind can argue he is one of the all time greats and while he had a few down years ( relatively as we were a 2 seed 3 seasons ago and a good not great season last year) He has righted the ship and has us as one of the top 5 teams in terms of a chance to cut down the nets . Yet people on here spend more threads attacking him as if he was some shlub not the 2nd greatest coach at UK ever. It just gets tiring when all I want to do is talk realistically about UK basketball , recruiting and sometimes UK players in the NBA . Is that too much to ask? There has to be a site for normal UK fans who aren't nuts in the worst way.

I understand this fully. If you find one, let me know.

He's not the second greatest coach here.
That would be Pitino and it's not close.

While Pitino gets major deductions for bolting here for the NBA, going to Louisville and being a morally decrepit SOB...he's (without a doubt) one of the sharpest strategists in the history of the game. A list that Calipari would never luck his way onto.

I definitely think Calipari is a better person than Pitino. And that does mean something to me. But if we're talking purely best coaches in our history, Pitino is #2 and it isn't close.

Bottom line there's posters on here who actually think they can move the needle regarding Cal.
It's no accident that there's daily threads condemning anything Cal related, the players he recruits and how he coaches the games.
It's a concentrated effort by some.
Like you said, the 22 was really good but got upset.
The 23 team was not as good but went one round further.
We currently have a top 10 squad so that 4 out of the last five years he's put a good to very good squad on the floor.
He gets a pass on the covid year, not from me but from Mitch.
If you listened to Mitch's interview with Matt Jones at the end of last season, you know Cal is nowhere close to the hot seat.
Mitch cares about the athletic dept as a whole increasing revenue each year which it does.
There is no "UK Illuminati" some secret group of big money boosters who can oust Cal.
That's laughable.
He's here as long as he wants to be here so just sit back and enjoy the game.

talk realistically=
''Calipari is awesome''
''I just bought some new NBA gear!''
''The NBA totally kicks ass''
''What team do you think takes our players in the draft? I'm excited to watch them in the NBA''
''We aren't losing another game this year''
''Is it too early to say 40-0?''
''Our lineup next year could be crazy

PG-Insert number one ranked PG?
SG-Insert number one ranked SG
SF-Insert number one ranked SF
PF-Insert random transfer
C-Insert number one ranked C"

Some good places for you are the miami heat forum. The Miami Hurricanes basketball forum. The gonzaga forum.

And before I post this...2ND GREATEST COACH AT UK????????????? LOL cmon now. Cal at his current standing is Joe B Hall with WAY more talent than any UK coach before him. That's not good.

To OP: start some threads talking about the players that are currently on the roster.

There is no utopia lol. I like reading the different opinions on here whether they're positive or negative, what I don't get is why you would want a site that does nothing except back patting 24/7. Nothing wrong with this site I just ignore the obviously bad threads. Yes, there are posters who's whole prerogative is to post negative Calipari posts (some warranted) but like I said you can choose what you wanna read on here essentially and there's plenty of good too.

I just wish some threads would open up and be the place for it. Like a bitch at Cal thread, or a dedicated Edwards and DJ thread.

DJ is awesome and he still gets hated on so often it’s crazy to me. But every game it’s the same stuff especially after a loss. I don’t even visit for a day or two.

It was well known that this class wasn’t the best overall and I think we can see in Edwards and Bradshaw 2 guys with talent that need more time to be the players they can be in college. Both need another year at least and more time in the gym and strength training room.

I hope both return but honestly if I read all the time how a lot of the fanbase felt about me then I’d probably dip too. I’ve even seen a couple post sad that Edwards wasn’t sick or hurt. That’s pretty awful.

Last edited:
I just wish some threads would open up and be the place for it. Like a bitch at Cal thread, or a dedicated Edwards and DJ thread. Even though DJ is awesome he still gets hated on so often it’s crazy to me. But every game it’s the same stuff especially after a loss. I don’t even visit for a day or two. It was well known that this class wasn’t the best overall and I think we can see in Edwards and Bradshaw 2 guys with talent that need more time to be the players they can be in college. Both need another year at least and more time in the gym and strength training room. I hope both return but honestly if I read all the time how a lot of the fanbase felt about me then I’d probably dip too. I’ve even seen a couple post sad that Edwards wasn’t sick or hurt. That’s pretty awful.
This.

I visit on game day and for Aike’s stats and whatnot. I think there are some good people on here, like Fox2monk, and a few others who legit want to talk basketball.

I don’t understand why every single thread turns into a Calipari hate thread. I also get incredibly amused after a loss when everyone who didn’t contribute to a good conversation starts coming out of the woodwork and starting hate threads on players and coaches. If those folks truly have that much venom in their life, I feel bad for them. If those folks are trolls from other teams, I feel even worse for them. They should have better things to do with their life.

I’m about sick of taking the time to make a point only to have some yahoo get mad because they’re not getting the validation they sought and forcing the whole thread to be deleted. Just zap the offending post(s). A lot of good conversations have been lost to randos temper tantrums.

There is a FB page that you may like...something, something No Cal players haters or bashing. I find it just as annoying as the strictly Cal haters. I guess I'm firmly in the middle and don't have a specific agenda so just looking for BB discussions myself. Good luck finding what you're looking for.

There is a FB page that you may like...something, something No Cal players haters or bashing. I find it just as annoying as the strictly Cal haters. I guess I'm firmly in the middle and don't have a specific agenda so just looking for BB discussions myself. Good luck finding what you're looking for.
I just wanted to say, and this is just my opinion so please don't bash but Cal is the best coach at UK since 2009 and he has the best looking doggies and you should ask Ellen about her brownies

The 2nd best coach to ever coach here doesn't.

1. - Go what is now going on 9 years without making a Final Four
2. - Have a 9-16 season
3. - Lose in the 1st round to a 15 seed
4. - After the 2019 NCAA tournament. Have only 1 NCAA tournament win

Would be nice if we could get more true criticism, not the childish nicknames and "but Cal's the coach" blah blah within 4-5 posts on every topic.

I don't mind debate, but sometimes this place gets to be too much. I really doubt some of these people are fans (on both sides pumpers or dumpers) but instead someone who likes stirring the pot.

I fall somewhere between them. I see the value in Cal's whole tenure. Covid season was a mess and the NIT year with Nerlens getting hurt was the NCAA giving us the finger. Other than those two, the results haven't been that bad.

Also, he's not a great in-game coach (Pitino wasn't either see '92 Duke not fronting Laettner and not playing Anderson and leaving Nazr in to miss FTs in 98). I kind of hoped he was going to Texas a few years back as it felt he was getting burned out here. He proved me wrong and for the second time in 3 years, we have a team in the top 5-10 to win it all. Will injuries get us again or a crazy early upset? Maybe, happens to everyone.

Reactions: Seakat311
Pitino developed a game plan before the game. I don't know that he was a great in-game coach but he evolved. If you look at the '95 team versus '96 you can tell he adjusted his philosophy. Cal's approach is to try to get players and assistants that can be successful doing what he has been doing since day 1 of being here.

All this Cal support is solely because he has put together a very talented team that has been for the most part fun to watch. What is frustrating is that for some fans that wipes out the nightmare seasons Cal has turned in as coach, his contempt of the fan base for calling him out on it and his general arrogance of knowing he is to expensive to replace.

I'm willing to talk about the positives but when you have the history Cal has here, its troublesome for fans to suddenly act like its 2012 again and be upset that people are making comparisons to years past against this years team.

Cal is a far better coach than Pitino will ever be. And it's not close. If it was close, Pitino would find a way to lose.
and you just killed your credibility here

In my eyes, Cal has been able to do one thing better than Pitino - beat Carolina on a regular basis (and Cal never had to face Dean Smith). Other than that, assuming you can separate off court antics and coaching acumen, I don't see how you can say Cal is far better, or even just plain better

Reactions: RunninRichie
Cal is a far better coach than Pitino will ever be. And it's not close. If it was close, Pitino would find a way to lose.

2010- loses to WVU by 7
2011- loses to uconn by 1
2013- loses to nit cupcake by 1 score
2014- loses to uconn by 6
2015- loses to Wisconsin by 7
2016- loses to iu by 5
2017- loses to unc by 2
2018- loses by ksu by 3
2019- loses by auburn by 6
2022- loses to st. Pete by 6
2023- loses to ksu by 6.

Yeah, calipari hasn't lost any close games in the post season at UK. To his credit he hasn't got blown out any though. WVU is the probably closest one to that where I'd argue the final score was closer than the game for most of 2nd half.

I just wish some threads would open up and be the place for it. Like a bitch at Cal thread, or a dedicated Edwards and DJ thread. Even though DJ is awesome he still gets hated on so often it’s crazy to me. But every game it’s the same stuff especially after a loss. I don’t even visit for a day or two. It was well known that this class wasn’t the best overall and I think we can see in Edwards and Bradshaw 2 guys with talent that need more time to be the players they can be in college. Both need another year at least and more time in the gym and strength training room. I hope both return but honestly if I read all the time how a lot of the fanbase felt about me then I’d probably dip too. I’ve even seen a couple post sad that Edwards wasn’t sick or hurt. That’s pretty awful.

Some certainly go over the top with player hate and things to that nature, most are more frustrated with Cal that he constantly plays the same line up or same line ups when sometimes it seems detrimental to the team. Certainly doesn’t make it ok but that would change if the line ups changed and the team did better or if they did the same then I guess players would get even more hate.

However the most crazy thing you stated is that seeing what fans say would make you want to bolt if you were them. There is not a reality in which either edwards or Bradshaw would be at Kentucky next year whether the fans loved them or hated them.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps

Most people don’t want to discuss anything these days. They want to be right and have everyone agree with them. If you do not agree with them then instead of discussing the topic further it becomes a name calling fest or something else not directed at the actual topic.

A few posters do seem to take over most threads and turn it into a Cal love or Cal hate fest I can agree with that.

I mean look at this thread and your initial statement.

-Cal as the 2nd greatest coach is hard to defend unless he gets another title or goes back in time and retires in 2015.

-a few down seasons…. The worst season in Kentucky history followed by the worst loss in school history

-has righted the ship and has us as a top 5 team to cut the nets down….. unless something drastically changes on defense or UK shoots an amazing percentage it is hard to see this team beating a quality team, much less 6 in a row.

In your thread starter that is at least 3 unrealistic statements in my opinion and isn’t that what you were trying to avoid?

However you are free to discuss those thoughts and why they make sense and that is the point of a discussion board I believe.

If you don’t like it, don’t post or read. Not being a dick, but I don’t get the complaining about the complaining. I’ve stopped reading other boards (not sports boards) because I didn’t like the “culture” of it.

UK bball hasn’t been very productive the last 3 years: one SECT win and one NCAAT win. That isn’t going to yield highly productive, positive talks. Most people just want to see UK win, get that back on track and the temperature will cool down. Until then, expect hand wringing. And if you really don’t like it here: find a new board or even try and make your own fan forum.

Excellent post. This is how I feel at times too. This board used to be an enjoyable forum to discuss UK basketball and games, win or lose. Yes, there was always frustration after a loss but, like you, I don't like coming on here after a loss any longer as it's so predictable and tiring to read the same old hate filled posts. I get very frustrated by a loss too but I'm not as miserable as many posters seem to be on here. You are right, can't see why players might want to return when they are receiving so much hate from supposed fans. You worded things much better than I just did.

I love there are positive & negative- I suggest you pay $10 a month and go platinum and talk with a different group
Calipari is simply not getting it done anymore and most likely won’t again this year.

OP called Wheeler a 2nd team AA and Collins a lottery pick but laments there are no "rational" fans here. Ok.

Huge passionate fan base, haven't really been very relevant in 3yrs, lots of weird issues around players, and a coach that really does not sound like he has answers or a real strategy most of the time. Some are too harsh but I am more concerned about the lack of results.

While I disagree with what some people say on here, it's their opinion. Everyone has the right to speak their mind (without breaking the rules).
Agree, but there are a few that beat dead horses in a futile attempt to bring anyone down into their muddy misery. They can't be critical without making it about things like "the new narrative" and some other snarky garbage to "call out" fans that aren't as deep in their hate for Cal (and in some cases maybe even UK). They love conflict and arguing. They love it, and I blame social media in general.

So yeah, people are free to share their opinions, but tact and respect has LONG gone out the window thanks to the anonymity the internet and social media provides. Hell, I don't even see anyone holding the door for people these days. They don't let people in at a merge during traffic. They are more aggressive in all areas, except face to face (and even this is become more edgy).

Just yesterday one guy in particular (a known Cal misery pusher) started THREE thread topics to bash either Cal or UK fans that don't share in his/her extreme hate. The day before, right after a win, the other regular Cal basher themselves started two Cal-hate or opposing opinion fan call out threads. These same two clowns muck up threads with their misery even if the topic is not even remotely related to the context of Calipari criticism.

It's insufferable, and while the extreme Cal apologists can be annoying, there is nothing more annoying than the handful of hateful, anti-Cal agenda pushers. They don't realize how bad they are, but even then, they rationalize their hate with "well, it's Cal's fault I'm so pissed...I'm a true UK fan".

EDIT> Just look at the handful of responses already: "if you don't like it, leave"...."what, do you sleep with a full time Cal doll?"...."go visit other boards...good luck in your search". Of course, the OP was fooling themselves if they thought coming in with this "heartfelt" thread topic wasn't going to draw in these kinds of sophomoric responses. Hell, threads about beer or ice cream at Rupp have been turned into Cal hate threads (somehow)...

The bottom line, not everyone enjoys conflict in their discussions. Not everyone wants to spend their sports enjoyment time arguing. But hey, that's why today's most popular sports talk shows are 2-3 dudes arguing and getting nasty with each other. It's apparently what Americans want right now.

Last edited:
Lightafire Beablaze Sticker - Lightafire Beablaze Stickers

Beauty is in the eyes of the beseholder. I think Cal deserves every bit of criticism he gets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT