ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

The last free kick should have been a play on. And the refs took a goal away from Sweden in the first half as well. I guess the corruption in FIFA continues.
I'm not sure what Swede goal you're referring to, but there should have been a PK early for Swd imo. Net, don't think Krauts deserved win. Besides, I was looking for Mex to be sitting at 6 pt, Swd at 4 & Ger at 1. I was ready to guarantee a 0-0 Mex-Swd score so that both advanced!

So what happens if Swd beats Mex by 1 goal & Ger beats SK by 1? All 3 are at 6 pts & all have +1 goal diff? Lets assume all three have scored same total # of goals too.

-Goal differential
-Goals scored

-Points from group stage matches involving the tied teams
-Goal differential in group stage matches involving the tied teams
-Goals scored in group stage matches involving the tied teams

And when all else fails...yep, a Random Drawing...which has been done iirc, before.

-Goal differential
-Goals scored

-Points from group stage matches involving the tied teams
-Goal differential in group stage matches involving the tied teams
-Goals scored in group stage matches involving the tied teams

And when all else fails...yep, a Random Drawing...which has been done iirc, before.
Thanks. Hope it comes down to last & PO's somebody.

Watching Senegal, heck of an attack on thier 1st goal, right place right time + very poor clearing on both the Japanese back and keeper's part...

Just wondering...you all think Wenyen has futbol game? Doubtit..Just too tall/goofy imo. +++ I didn't see much footwork from him during his 2 years w us unlike both JWall & MKG. I bet both of them could very easily play for our natl team.

Now inviting those guys to play e'ry 4 years for the cup would completely EF w our entitled US players and mix things up.

<------should be the coach

Last edited:
I'm sorry but even though I have played soccer all of my 50 years on this planet and enjoyed every second of the game, the theatrics and diving and falling over and rolling around and clutching your face when a mosquito goes by is really almost unbearable to watch. You see these clowns fall and roll like they got hit by a Mike Tyson body blow only to jump up 2 seconds later when they realize they are not getting the whistle.

Really pathetic and cringe worthy. IMO.

Anyone following the anti-soccer thread on Wildcat Lair? Pretty silly.

No, but I have annihilated such arguments on the Catpaw before routinely and with ease... what bothers them most is that soccer reaquires much more skill than other sports, which is incidentally one of the main reasons it is the best sport invented by man.

Though not perfect obviously... like embellishment of fouls. Cheating is something unfortunately you just can't get rid of at the highest competitive level and the amount to be gained by doing so is much greater in soccer than other sports. Still theatrics happens everywhere the opportunity presents itself, like roughing the punter or feigned charges in basketball etc.

After that miracle goal against Sweden in the last 15 seconds of stoppage time Saturday, I figured you could pencil Germany in to the Final Four at least. What a collapse. Wanted Mexico out, but I guess we'll get more good crowd shots of hot Swedish girls.

Granddaughter playing in softball tourney this weekend on FCC's new MLS practice grounds. Last softball action there next week.

All Germany had to do was beat s Korea 1-0 and I would’ve hit my 3 team parlay with France, Germany and Brazil winning their groups. But no matter how bad I feel, germans and their players have to feel like complete shit.

All Germany had to do was beat s Korea 1-0 and I would’ve hit my 3 team parlay with France, Germany and Brazil winning their groups. But no matter how bad I feel, germans and their players have to feel like complete shit.
Why? They played as such.

The only thing that's going to hold this Cup back from being as good as any in my lifetime is that awful bracket draw. The left side is a gauntlet and the right side is Spain and whoever gets papercut to death by Spain.

It won't be Spain.

Outside the fact that anything can actually happen in sports, and outside my own personal bias, Croatia likely beats them due to being in better form, and historical advantages like comfort with their style of play and having been the better side the last two times they played one another.

If it doesn't happen there, then it happens vs Belgium or England... the de Bruyne Hazard combo gelling as well as I've ever seen it is too formidable or England with Kane in top form is just a whole 'nother beast. That's who I think wins the tournament, one of those two if they don't get unlucky or it just ends up being status quo and Brazil does what Brazil does or Messi/Argentina pull some remarkable phoenix rising from ashes story.

Here's my World Cup Final 4 now that the knockout stage is set...

France vs. Belgium

Croatia vs. Colombia

- Belgium vs. Colombia in the finals

- Belgium wins it. I think they've looked like the best and most complete team in the tournament.

I like how Russia pretty much cheesed their way into the second round. You never will convince me their group draw wasn't rigged.
Well of course it was rigged. Russia got a #1 seed in their group for being host country & so couldn't play a real #1 seed in their group. It's been that way for a long time. US, who can't beat out Panama, will get a #1 seed in 2026 - unless that practice changes. That thus will be rigged too,

Here's my World Cup Final 4 now that the knockout stage is set...

France vs. Belgium

Croatia vs. Colombia

- Belgium vs. Colombia in the finals

- Belgium wins it. I think they've looked like the best and most complete team in the tournament.

Belgium does look great. But you have 3 teams in the final 4 that have never won the World Cup. The World Cup, much like the NCAA tournament, is where the cream rises to the crop. That's why I think it's a good bet that Brazil, France, or Spain will win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT