ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Preview Thread

Rembrandt90

Senior
Jun 25, 2018
It's mid February. I am posting this now for a couple of reasons. For one thing, the football board seems really slow at the moment. But the main reason is to give us a month or so to discuss the topic before spring practice begins.

I will make some guesses that will inevitably get derailed by injuries, new transfers, and so forth. I have never been a very good fortune teller.

I am assuming injury rehabs will sideline these players from physical participation in the spring, but I could be wrong-

Brenden Bates
Jalen Geiger
Ramon Jefferson
Josh Jones
Josh Kattus
Vito Tisdale

So chime right in if you know of a Wildcat who should be added to or subtracted from this spring nonparticipation list. It has been reported that Leary and M. Cox are cleared and ready to practice.

The following players just enrolled at UK last month for the spring semester-

Khamari Anderson
Tanner Bowles
Anthony Brown
Ty Bryant
Marques Cox
Ray Davis
Jantzen Dunn
JQ Hardaway
Kobi Keenum
Devin Leary
Malachi Wood
Keeshaun Silver
Tommy Ziesmer

At one time, I expected Jamarion Wilcox to be a January enrollee, but I haven't found any reports of this happening.

Position changes have recently been reported for the following Wildcats-

Dee Beckwith- TE to WR
Tomiya Durojaiye- DE to DT
Darrion Henry-Young- LB to DT
Kenneth Horsey- LT to LG

Horsey, of course, was originally a very good LG before he was moved to LT last year out of necessity.

Available evidence suggests UK will use a three-WR basic offensive set and a 3-3-5 defense. (The z receiver plays in the slot.) UK and Ole Miss are among the national innovators with the 3-3-5 defense, and Brad White seems to like it. We know less about what Liam Coen will do, so let's take some hints from 2021 where we can.

Here are my guesses for the depth chart that will persevere by May. It is inevitable that injuries, transfers, overachievers, and underachievers will make some of these guesses wrong, but I have to start somewhere.

LT- M. Cox-Hall
LG- Horsey-Bingham
C- E. Cox-Keenum
RG- Burton-Bowles
RT- Flax-Buford (Jones rehab)
TE- Jo. Dingle-Cummings (Kattus and Bates rehab)
x- Key-Crowdus
y- B. Brown-Beckwith
z- T. Robinson-Anthony
RB- Davis-McClain (Jefferson rehab)
QB- Leary-D. Wade

DE- Rybka-Saunders
DT- Walker-Oxendine
NT- Hayes-Dinkins
Mike- Jackson-Fulton
Will- Wallace-Thrower
Jack- Weaver-K. Wade
Nickel- Afari-J. Robinson
BCB- Hardaway-Dunn
FCB- Phillips-Hairston
S- Lovett-Dodson (Tisdale rehab)
S- Childress-Stewart (Geiger rehab)

I left the six previously mentioned rehabbing players off my projected May depth chart because it looks like they can't compete until the summer. Most of them will probably win jobs in August. I can envision overachieving spring performances might bump up David Wohlabaugh, Paul Rodriguez, Khamari Anderson, Keeshaun Silver, or Tyreese Fearbry onto the May depth chart although they might have to dislodge more experienced returning players to make that happen.

Last edited:
Good post.

I hope to see some of the OL work into a solid 6-7 man rotation with no drop off.

DL will be stacked!!!

Coen will want to see Leary in the Spring, but I’m guessing he’ll have red jersey, red pants, red helmet, and a flashing red light on his helmet!

This post helps me filter through the 85+ players on the roster to see who moves up/down.

LB Noah Matthews is going to play somewhere, he's going to be a star. Don't sleep on DE Sam Anaele if he can stay healthy.

Maybe I dreamed it, maybe I'm crazy....but I could swear I saw somewhere Beckwith was going the pro wrestling route Abari-Fitzgerald took. I'm almost afraid to type that, it seems so bizarre........

Is the 3-3-5 vulnerable to the run? Not a lot of big guys in the box. Is it better against the pass? Seems like we'll need some designated pass rushers.

It's mid February. I am posting this now for a couple of reasons. For one thing, the football board seems really slow at the moment. But the main reason is to give us a month or so to discuss the topic before spring practice begins.

I will make some guesses that will inevitably get derailed by injuries, new transfers, and so forth. I have never been a very good fortune teller.

I am assuming injury rehabs will sideline these players from physical participation in the spring, but I could be wrong-

Brenden Bates
Jalen Geiger
Ramon Jefferson
Josh Jones
Josh Kattus
Vito Tisdale

So chime right in if you know of a Wildcat who should be added to or subtracted from this spring nonparticipation list. It has been reported that Leary and M. Cox are cleared and ready to practice.

The following players just enrolled at UK last month for the spring semester-

Khamari Anderson
Tanner Bowles
Anthony Brown
Ty Bryant
Marques Cox
Ray Davis
Jantzen Dunn
JQ Hardaway
Kobi Keenum
Devin Leary
Malachi Wood
Keeshaun Silver
Tommy Ziesmer

At one time, I expected Jamarion Wilcox to be a January enrollee, but I haven't found any reports of this happening.

Position changes have recently been reported for the following Wildcats-

Dee Beckwith- TE to WR
Tomiya Durojaiye- DE to DT
Darrion Henry-Young- LB to DT
Kenneth Horsey- LT to LG

Horsey, of course, was originally a very good LG before he was moved to LT last year out of necessity.

Available evidence suggests UK will use a three-WR basic offensive set and a 3-3-5 defense. (The z receiver plays in the slot.) UK and Ole Miss are among the national innovators with the 3-3-5 defense, and Brad White seems to like it. We know less about what Liam Coen will do, so let's take some hints from 2021 where we can.

Here are my guesses for the depth chart that will persevere by May. It is inevitable that injuries, transfers, overachievers, and underachievers will make some of these guesses wrong, but I have to start somewhere.

LT- M. Cox-Hall
LG- Horsey-Bingham
C- E. Cox-Keenum
RG- Burton-Bowles
RT- Flax-Buford (Jones rehab)
TE- Jo. Dingle-Cummings (Kattus and Bates rehab)
x- Key-Crowdus
y- B. Brown-Beckwith
z- T. Robinson-Anthony
RB- Davis-McClain (Jefferson rehab)
QB- Leary-D. Wade

DE- Rybka-Saunders
DT- Walker-Oxendine
NT- Hayes-Dinkins
Mike- Jackson-Fulton
Will- Wallace-Thrower
Jack- Weaver-K. Wade
Nickel- Afari-J. Robinson
BCB- Hardaway-Dunn
FCB- Phillips-Hairston
S- Lovett-Dodson (Tisdale rehab)
S- Childress-Stewart (Geiger rehab)

I left the six previously mentioned rehabbing players off my projected May depth chart because it looks like they can't compete until the summer. Most of them will probably win jobs in August. I can envision overachieving spring performances might bump up David Wohlabaugh, Paul Rodriguez, Khamari Anderson, Keeshaun Silver, or Tyreese Fearbry onto the May depth chart although they might have to dislodge more experienced returning players to make that happen.
Good post, we all enjoy them so much.

Maybe silly to ask now but just for giggles, who do see as breaking out or being better than advertised. Any thoughts on true freshmen that may play more than expected?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I think rhe DL will be

NG - D Walker
DT - Ox
DE - Rybka

I think Ox gets back to big and wins starting spot. Plus Hayes ain’t gold enough to sit Ox on backup I’d argue Dinkins might beat him out in NG rotation

My only other thought that is different is it’s gong to be hard to sit Wade at Jack. I think they get him on field wjtb JJ a ton off the edges. I don’t know how long the 3-3-5 is going to hold up. He tried it 2 years ago snd it just wasn’t that great

LB Noah Matthews is going to play somewhere, he's going to be a star. Don't sleep on DE Sam Anaele if he can stay healthy.

Maybe I dreamed it, maybe I'm crazy....but I could swear I saw somewhere Beckwith was going the pro wrestling route Abari-Fitzgerald took. I'm almost afraid to type that, it seems so bizarre........
Lol you are right. Beckwith signed with WWE and their next in line program . Not a contract or anything

I thought that Walker, Dinkins and Rogers was our best three DL at the end of last season. But Ox, Saunders and Hayes have the ability to start. Not sure that Hairston will stay at #2 with the options we will have at corner. Phillips needs to be more consistent also. Would like to see Weaver and Wade at the edges. We need more pressure on passing plays.

We should be able to flex more this year between defensive packages if we remain healthy. We will need the ability to run with more speed in the back 7-8 to shut down faster offenses. In order to do that we will need to get pressure with our "down" linemen more than ever.

I can't wait to see what the D looks like from game to game. Wish we could see the defensive fronts they'll implement this spring, but they probably won't run them in the open practices.

Offensively, I just hope they find answers 2 and 3 deep on the OLine. The "skill" positions have plenty of talent if they can stay healthy and develop more flexibility. Bringing Cummings back (and hopefully adding others) into a multi-position threat is a possibility that is really exciting. We need to create match-up problems like WRob did for us 2 years ago, and UT did to UK last season.

Very stoked about the backfield. Haven't been this excited about the backfield since we had Boom, Kemp, Snell, and King. I liked Snell, CRod, Smoke, and Rose.. don't get me wrong. But Davis, Jefferson, McClain, Wright, Dixon, and Wilcox is a strong group of players. Can't wait to see what they can do as a unit.

We should be able to flex more this year between defensive packages if we remain healthy. We will need the ability to run with more speed in the back 7-8 to shut down faster offenses. In order to do that we will need to get pressure with our "down" linemen more than ever.

I can't wait to see what the D looks like from game to game. Wish we could see the defensive fronts they'll implement this spring, but they probably won't run them in the open practices.

Offensively, I just hope they find answers 2 and 3 deep on the OLine. The "skill" positions have plenty of talent if they can stay healthy and develop more flexibility. Bringing Cummings back (and hopefully adding others) into a multi-position threat is a possibility that is really exciting. We need to create match-up problems like WRob did for us 2 years ago, and UT did to UK last season.

Very stoked about the backfield. Haven't been this excited about the backfield since we had Boom, Kemp, Snell, and King. I liked Snell, CRod, Smoke, and Rose.. don't get me wrong. But Davis, Jefferson, McClain, Wright, Dixon, and Wilcox is a strong group of players. Can't wait to see what they can do as a unit.
Is this the year our second and third team guys give us SEC level play? I've said for years that we've had 20-25 players that could play for Bama/Ga, but those teams had 85 players that could play for our Cats!
One more thing, the schedule and our coaches could/should allow for early season depth development. Am I dreaming that this could be a depth break out year???

Our early schedule should allow for depth development but that is one area Stoops seems to come up a bit short. Maybe he will have the chance to do a bit more of that. Wish he would play the 2nd string QB when he can and sort out the RB position in the early going. Overall it is a tough schedule but it is set up as favorable as possible to give us the chance to be the best team we can be.

Is this the year our second and third team guys give us SEC level play? I've said for years that we've had 20-25 players that could play for Bama/Ga, but those teams had 85 players that could play for our Cats!
One more thing, the schedule and our coaches could/should allow for early season depth development. Am I dreaming that this could be a depth break out year???
I personally think that our DB's, DL, RB's and TE's are high quality two deep. I think our WR's and LB's could be good two deep, according if some of the 4 star frosh at these positions can play early. Quality depth wise I am most concerned at QB and OL. I think Buford, Bowles and Hall could help us be good in the rotation but no way of knowing yet. Flax bothers me at RT if doesn't get quicker. I think starters wise we will be OK on the OL, just not sure about the new guys that will have to provide depth. Maybe Rodriguez is ready at LG? Leary is the biggest key. If he goes down the lack of experience will change a lot of things at the QB position.

Darrion Henry-Young- LB to DT is a surprise. Thought he might be destined to the Sam spot. At 255# I hope he is on a massive weight gain program if he is moving to DL. I can see him more of a DE than a DT.
UK roster lists DHY at 264#. By the fall, after another summer of conditioning, he should be in the 270s. I believe this move is being made because DHY does not possess SEC caliber lateral quickness on the edge. He still has two years of eligibility left, so he has additional development ahead. I think we understand that DHY was one of many hs players who got overrated online. He can still be a contributory SEC player at some point.

Is Leary healed up to the point he can pass the ball now??

When is he expected to be 100%?
Anyone know?

Is Leary healed up to the point he can pass the ball now??

When is he expected to be 100%?
Anyone know?
Yeah, I've wondered that too. Is he limited, if so how much? Is he or has he been throwing? Would be good if he was throwing to his WRs. What with the crack KY sports media, it's anybody's guess.

Feels like this could be a huge year for T. Wallace.

If the game can slow down for him a little his athleticism and talent is huge. He can also be a huge part of blitz packages on long down situations.

Henry being moved to DT surprises me too, but lack of quickness at linebacker could still make him quick as a DT. Moving Beckwith to receiver is a little surprising. I thought he would be moved to tightend, but that is a loaded position.
I`m excited for this season to start, I think we can be very, very good even with a tough schedule.

Henry being moved to DT surprises me too, but lack of quickness at linebacker could still make him quick as a DT. Moving Beckwith to receiver is a little surprising. I thought he would be moved to tightend, but that is a loaded position.
I`m excited for this season to start, I think we can be very, very good even with a tough schedule.
Beckwith has practiced at TE and H back since arriving at UK. Public listings of him as a RB were incorrect, as we have discussed in the past. Beckwith is moving to WR this spring because UK has a full room of talented TEs including January enrollees Khamari Anderson and Tanner Lemaster both of whom should see the field early in their careers. UK also has a bunch of good slot receivers but only B. Brown, Key, Porter, and Banks are legitimate wideouts. Porter and Banks won't be here until the summer. So giving Beckwith some spring reps as a wideout makes sense. Couple of years ago, Ahmad Wagner proved that a large, athletic WR can cause big matchup problems for SEC CBs even if he isn't a speed burner.

I think rhe DL will be

NG - D Walker
DT - Ox
DE - Rybka

I think Ox gets back to big and wins starting spot. Plus Hayes ain’t gold enough to sit Ox on backup I’d argue Dinkins might beat him out in NG rotation

My only other thought that is different is it’s gong to be hard to sit Wade at Jack. I think they get him on field wjtb JJ a ton off the edges. I don’t know how long the 3-3-5 is going to hold up. He tried it 2 years ago snd it just wasn’t that great
Walker is the best player on our defense. He had a dominant freshman season as a DT, so it makes no sense to move him unless absolutely necessary. I would by far rather have Walker putting pressure on the pocket as a 3-tech than occupying two blockers as a zero-tech, especially since he is already one of the best 3-techs in the country. Also keep in mind that Walker is 4-5 inches taller than Oxendine, with longer arms, and outweighs Oxendine by about 50# but is just as quick.

Josaih Hayes was a heavily recruited player with 8 SEC offers including AL and GA. That many SEC coaches are seldom wrong. Jon Sumrall recruited him to UK. Hayes has played a lot but fell behind Bully McCall and Justin Rogers. Last year he got banged up and eventually lost the backup job. It makes sense to give Hayes a full chance to win the NT job, and I think he will have a strong season there as long as he stays healthy. The job of the NT is to occupy two offensive linemen and hold the zero gap. Another thing to consider is that huge transfer Keeshaun Silver will be competing at NT in the spring.

TreVonn Rybka and Khalil Saunders fought a pitched battle throughout 2022 for the starting DE job. I'm picking Rybka again, but it's close. Both are strong players.

This is my guess for the May chart-

DE- Rybka-Saunders-Anaele
DT- Walker-Oxendine-DHY
NT- Hayes-Dinkins-Silver

Not saying it will still be the same DL chart by next September. Probably won't be.

Last edited:
Curious: How many of the 18 or so new PWOs will be available this spring?
Since PWOs are not on scholarship as freshmen, they usually attend their full senior year of hs and graduate in May. If you don't have a scholarship and don't have a good chance of playing as a freshman, the only incentive for enrolling early would be academic and that would be a case by case assessment.

No idea how beckwith moving to wr has any chance of pt. Should've moved to defense. Super strong and not flexible enough for wr imo

How do we get all these safeties in the field enough?

Reactions: K_TIME
Fortunately Crowdus got some good experience last season at WR so we need him to play well since we lost so many receivers in the portal. Banks stock has risen and he is a big WR so he may have a chance to play early to give us depth. Hopefully Cummings can condition the next 5 months so he can make an impact as a receiver and give us more needed depth.

Fortunately Crowdus got some good experience last season at WR so we need him to play well since we lost so many receivers in the portal. Banks stock has risen and he is a big WR so he may have a chance to play early to give us depth. Hopefully Cummings can condition the next 5 months so he can make an impact as a receiver and give us more needed depth.
Shamar Porter, one of the highest ranked players in our 2023 class, is 6'3" and runs the 100 yard dash for Ensworth hs's track team. Projected as a multiyear starter.

I have always liked Banks. Although I consider Ty Bryant the most underrated player in our 2023 class, I would put Banks pretty high on the underrated list. But Porter has more upside becuase of his speed and quickness, as long as he has overcome his shoulder injury.

Reactions: Crazycat68
Darrion Henry-Young- LB to DT is a surprise. Thought he might be destined to the Sam spot. At 255# I hope he is on a massive weight gain program if he is moving to DL. I can see him more of a DE than a DT.
I have thought he may be the classic “tweener”. I wonder why DE is not an option. Can play DE at 275-280 which seems easier than getting to 290+ for DT.

Reactions: JasonRDunn

Dreaming of the same for now

On the defensive side, I can see this happening before our eyes. Honestly not sure yet about offensive depth, although the offensive starting lineup is going in the right direction as long as Leary stays heathy.

Our 2023 recruiting class is strong on the defensive side at all three levels. There are some important offensive signings too, but not as many. Our 2024 class will need to cover the offense a bit more thoroughly.

Shamar Porter, one of the highest ranked players in our 2023 class, is 6'3" and runs the 100 yard dash for Ensworth hs's track team. Projected as a multiyear starter.

I have always liked Banks. Although I consider Ty Bryant the most underrated player in our 2023 class, I would put Banks pretty high on the underrated list. But Porter has more upside becuase of his speed and quickness, as long as he has overcome his shoulder injury.
Yes, Bryant has risen. Hoping he is a good cover guy that can play corner with all the top safeties we have.

Yes, Bryant has risen. Hoping he is a good cover guy that can play corner with all the top safeties we have.
Bryant has been recruited as a safety. Of all the DBs signed in this class, I believe Bryant is the most likely to end up as a safety. Bryant was a star at several combines, so I am not sure why he hasn't been rated higher. Maybe it is his need to add good weight, but he has a football pedigree and a great motor. He is a much better player than his online ratings, and I look forward to watching him play at UK.

Bryant has been recruited as a safety. Of all the DBs signed in this class, I believe Bryant is the most likely to end up as a safety. Bryant was a star at several combines, so I am not sure why he hasn't been rated higher. Maybe it is his need to add good weight, but he has a football pedigree and a great motor. He is a much better player than his online ratings, and I look forward to watching him play at UK.
I thought Stuart and Anglin are for sure safeties? I believe Anglin's stock has also risen from when we started recruiting him also.

I'm excited to hear about everyone this spring....but for me I want to hear how we are bringing along Jordan Anthony. You remember, a legitimate national track star, 1st we've had since who, Derrick Locke?

I remember him getting in a game last Sept to run a go route, Levis had to scramble because of bad O line blocking and couldn't set to launch it to Anthony who had gotten 50 or 60 yds downfield. Coen I'm sure has some great ideas for him, not just jet sweeps.

I'm excited to hear about everyone this spring....but for me I want to hear how we are bringing along Jordan Anthony. You remember, a legitimate national track star, 1st we've had since who, Derrick Locke?

I remember him getting in a game last Sept to run a go route, Levis had to scramble because of bad O line blocking and couldn't set to launch it to Anthony who had gotten 50 or 60 yds downfield. Coen I'm sure has some great ideas for him, not just jet sweeps.
Yeah, also White who is very fast.

Reactions: Girthang and JHB4UK

I’m still in the wait and see on the running backs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT