ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Preview Thread

Shamar Porter, one of the highest ranked players in our 2023 class, is 6'3" and runs the 100 yard dash for Ensworth hs's track team. Projected as a multiyear starter.

I have always liked Banks. Although I consider Ty Bryant the most underrated player in our 2023 class, I would put Banks pretty high on the underrated list. But Porter has more upside becuase of his speed and quickness, as long as he has overcome his shoulder injury.
I read some "expert" account on Porter that he doesnt have the grit or toughness for the college game. Has all the tools but too soft.
Whats your thoughts Rembrandt?

Last edited:
I read some "expert" account on Porter that he doesnt have the grit or toughness for the college game. Has all the tools but too soft.
The accounts of that nature did not name Porter specifically. They hinted, but were not specific. It's the kind of thing that gets said by proxies for a different school. Porter missed most of last season with a shoulder injury, so I don't take this seriously. I have read a number of scouting reports on Porter that did not question his heart or his motor. The biggest question was that Porter has adequate strength but needs some strength development in a college program. Porter is a competitor. A multisport athlete who runs the 100 yard dash in track. Our coaches would not have signed Porter unless he satisfied their character expectations. It is worth mentioning that Porter verballed early to UK and never wavered.

Read that too. Could be somebody trying to diss the guy because he didn't select the school the guy was pimping for. Player was a widely recruited 4* WR. We'll find out in time.

The accounts of that nature did not name Porter specifically. They hinted, but were not specific. It's the kind of thing that gets said by proxies for a different school. Porter missed most of last season with a shoulder injury, so I don't take this seriously. I have read a number of scouting reports on Porter that did not question his heart or his motor. The biggest question was that Porter has adequate strength but needs some strength development in a college program. Porter is a competitor. A multisport athlete who runs the 100 yard dash in track. Our coaches would not have signed Porter unless he satisfied their character expectations. It is worth mentioning that Porter verballed early to UK and never wavered.
That’s good to hear.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
UK safety Taj Dodson has decided to retire from college football. Dodson has a year of eligibility left, but went through senior day ceremonies. This will open up an opportunity quicker for Vito Tisdale when he is fully healthy.
Hate to see this, he's a good player that was an early contributor but never could get healthy. Good luck to him.

Surprised Ox losing weight. Bingham looks bigger. Fearby and Thrower pretty highly regarded coming in so would like to see them contributing this season. Flax at 325? That would be a good thing. Key and Robinson looks stronger. Wade to 250, we need him to pick up losing Wright.

It's mid February. I am posting this now for a couple of reasons. For one thing, the football board seems really slow at the moment. But the main reason is to give us a month or so to discuss the topic before spring practice begins.

I will make some guesses that will inevitably get derailed by injuries, new transfers, and so forth. I have never been a very good fortune teller.

I am assuming injury rehabs will sideline these players from physical participation in the spring, but I could be wrong-

Brenden Bates
Jalen Geiger
Ramon Jefferson
Josh Jones
Josh Kattus
Vito Tisdale

So chime right in if you know of a Wildcat who should be added to or subtracted from this spring nonparticipation list. It has been reported that Leary and M. Cox are cleared and ready to practice.

The following players just enrolled at UK last month for the spring semester-

Khamari Anderson
Tanner Bowles
Anthony Brown
Ty Bryant
Marques Cox
Ray Davis
Jantzen Dunn
JQ Hardaway
Kobi Keenum
Devin Leary
Malachi Wood
Keeshaun Silver
Tommy Ziesmer

At one time, I expected Jamarion Wilcox to be a January enrollee, but I haven't found any reports of this happening.

Position changes have recently been reported for the following Wildcats-

Dee Beckwith- TE to WR
Tomiya Durojaiye- DE to DT
Darrion Henry-Young- LB to DT
Kenneth Horsey- LT to LG

Horsey, of course, was originally a very good LG before he was moved to LT last year out of necessity.

Available evidence suggests UK will use a three-WR basic offensive set and a 3-3-5 defense. (The z receiver plays in the slot.) UK and Ole Miss are among the national innovators with the 3-3-5 defense, and Brad White seems to like it. We know less about what Liam Coen will do, so let's take some hints from 2021 where we can.

Here are my guesses for the depth chart that will persevere by May. It is inevitable that injuries, transfers, overachievers, and underachievers will make some of these guesses wrong, but I have to start somewhere.

LT- M. Cox-Hall
LG- Horsey-Bingham
C- E. Cox-Keenum
RG- Burton-Bowles
RT- Flax-Buford (Jones rehab)
TE- Jo. Dingle-Cummings (Kattus and Bates rehab)
x- Key-Crowdus
y- B. Brown-Beckwith
z- T. Robinson-Anthony
RB- Davis-McClain (Jefferson rehab)
QB- Leary-D. Wade

DE- Rybka-Saunders
DT- Walker-Oxendine
NT- Hayes-Dinkins
Mike- Jackson-Fulton
Will- Wallace-Thrower
Jack- Weaver-K. Wade
Nickel- Afari-J. Robinson
BCB- Hardaway-Dunn
FCB- Phillips-Hairston
S- Lovett-Dodson (Tisdale rehab)
S- Childress-Stewart (Geiger rehab)

I left the six previously mentioned rehabbing players off my projected May depth chart because it looks like they can't compete until the summer. Most of them will probably win jobs in August. I can envision overachieving spring performances might bump up David Wohlabaugh, Paul Rodriguez, Khamari Anderson, Keeshaun Silver, or Tyreese Fearbry onto the May depth chart although they might have to dislodge more experienced returning players to make that happen.
Is Wade still here?

I rightly assume every single coach/analyst at UK is hoping and helping however possible to make Keaton Wade the rush DE threat we have badly missed since Josh Allen left

Walker is gonna give our rebuilding/redeveloping O line lots of quality opposition!!! Get it done blocking & moving him, then they are good enough to do it to any D line we face in 2023. Deone is better than anybody Georgia or Bama can throw out there.

I rightly assume every single coach/analyst at UK is hoping and helping however possible to make Keaton Wade the rush DE threat we have badly missed since Josh Allen left

Walker is gonna give our rebuilding/redeveloping O line lots of quality opposition!!! Get it done blocking & moving him, then they are good enough to do it to any D line we face in 2023. Deone is better than anybody Georgia or Bama can throw out there.
Keaton Wade is not a defensive end. Neither was JA. Rybka is our defensive end.

I do not know if Walker is better than anyone Georgia or Bama can throw out there. But he could play for them and that is why Smart and Saban offered him a scholarship. Same for Rybka and Josaih Hayes. All of them could be playing for Georgia or Bama if they wanted because they were offered a chance.

Keaton Wade is not a defensive end. Neither was JA. Rybka is our defensive end.

I do not know if Walker is better than anyone Georgia or Bama can throw out there. But he could play for them and that is why Smart and Saban offered him a scholarship. Same for Rybka and Josaih Hayes. All of them could be playing for Georgia or Bama if they wanted because they were offered a chance.
Rybka and Hayes were not offered by Bama or UGA …and Neither is that good to play for UGA. Bama has fallen a bit

Reactions: JHB4UK
Rybka and Hayes were not offered by Bama or UGA …and Neither is that good to play for UGA.
Incorrect. Both were offered by Bama and Georgia. Verified by multiple reports including ESPN and 247. You can look it up. You should have more confidence in our players.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Both were offered by Bama and Georgia. Verified by multiple reports including ESPN and 247. You can look it up. You should have more confidence in our players.
That was a long time ago lol and no neither one of them would play at UGA, that doesn’t mean they can’t be good here tho

Incorrect. Both were offered by Bama and Georgia. Verified by multiple reports including ESPN and 247. You can look it up. You should have more confidence in our player in

I don’t equate being confident wjtb reality….

Why don’t you look it up for us

Henry being moved to DT surprises me too, but lack of quickness at linebacker could still make him quick as a DT. Moving Beckwith to receiver is a little surprising. I thought he would be moved to tightend, but that is a loaded position.
I`m excited for this season to start, I think we can be very, very good even with a tough schedule.
If Beckwith could learn to use his size and strength he could be a tough match up for a cb

I don’t equate being confident wjtb reality….

Why don’t you look it up for us
Reality is that Rybka and Hayes received scholarship offers from most SEC schools including Georgia and Bama, like I said. We have lots of players who turned down other SEC schools even including Georgia and Bama. I notice Khamari Anderson, Jaremiah Anglin, and Jayvant Brown had Bama offers. Shamar Porter and Tavion Gadson have Georgia offers. That is just the 2023 class. Something for us to be happy about.

Reality is that Rybka and Hayes received scholarship offers from most SEC schools including Georgia and Bama, like I said. We have lots of players who turned down other SEC schools even including Georgia and Bama. I notice Khamari Anderson, Jaremiah Anglin, and Jayvant Brown had Bama offers. Shamar Porter and Tavion Gadson have Georgia offers. That is just the 2023 class. Something for us to be happy about.
I think your confusing an offer listed as a quote as a valid offer from a school....and assuming many things.

- Do you really think Jayvont Brown had a commitable offer to Bama that UK swept in at last second and he went with UK? same for Gadsen?

Not saying these aren't quality recruits....but they didn't get UGA/Bama offers that were commitable I'd wager.

I think your confusing an offer listed as a quote as a valid offer from a school....and assuming many things.

- Do you really think Jayvont Brown had a commitable offer to Bama that UK swept in at last second and he went with UK? same for Gadsen?

Not saying these aren't quality recruits....but they didn't get UGA/Bama offers that were commitable I'd wager.
I'm curious...how do you know who had a commitable offer and who did not? I have no idea myself and I doubt few, if any, on this site knows. I'm just glad UK's now attracting the talent they are, glad these guys mentioned are here, hope they help UK win games.

I'm curious...how do you know who had a commitable offer and who did not? I have no idea myself and I doubt few, if any, on this site knows. I'm just glad UK's now attracting the talent they are, glad these guys mentioned are here, hope they help UK win games.
Let's put it up to expert @Rembrandt90 ....do think Gadsen and Bryant were offered by UGA and/or Bama?

Again...still good players for UK. But Hayes and Rybka were not UGA/Bama recruits either. And the same holds for players/schools that list UK as offerinb but not really. There are guys UK absolutely didn't commitable offer that list UK on rivals, etc... offer sheets.

Let's put it up to expert @Rembrandt90 ....do think Gadsen and Bryant were offered by UGA and/or Bama?

Again...still good players for UK. But Hayes and Rybka were not UGA/Bama recruits either. And the same holds for players/schools that list UK as offerinb but not really. There are guys UK absolutely didn't commitable offer that list UK on rivals, etc... offer sheets.
So we can assume if a guy chooses lowly UK over powerhouse GA/Bama the guy didn't REALLY have a GA/Bama offer? Again, we don't know who has/had commitable offers.

I'd like to know if Hayes/Rybka made OVs to GA/Bama? While that's not an end all be all, if a school cared enough to bring in those guys for an OV one must assume they had more than a passing interest.

All in all, it doesn't matter. Hayes/Rybka are here and hopefully help UK win games.

Offers are given verbally before sr yr hs. Committable offers are sent in writing in Aug (i think) of a recruits beginning sr yr. 90-95% of the verbal offers given before sr yr do not recieve formal on paper offers.

I do not claim to be an expert. I simply summarize and post what is already publicly reported. It has been reported on other websites that Tavion Gadson received at least 8 SEC scholarship offers including AL. Ty Bryant reportedly received 2 SEC scholarship offers- UK and TN.

It has been reported on multiple websites that TreVonn Rybka and Josaih Hayes both received at least 8 SEC scholarship offers including AL, GA, and LSU. Hayes was a "4 star". Rybka was a "4 star" on some websites and a high "3 star" on others. Not that it matters now.

As for what is committable and what is not, I have addressed this here before. Only the coaches and players in question know, because they see the written offers. Coaches can't talk about it in public, and players almost never do. So the public doesn't know. That means nobody here knows. We have our own impressions. But as we have seen over and over, these impressions are arbitrary. All we know for sure is what has been reported independently on multiple websites.

Rybka is a very good player. Rybka will be a multiyear starter on one of the SEC's top defenses. But Hayes was actually a higher rated recruit than Rybka. Hayes was hurt last year and missed games. We will find out more about him next fall.

What seems to be missing here is a realistic concept of the excellence of UK's defense. In 2022, the top 3 statistical defenses (in terms of total defense) in the SEC were GA, UK, and AL in that order. The top 3 SEC scoring defenses were GA, AL, and UK in that order. So if an observer says defenders are good players for UK but they are not GA and AL caliber, he or she is disclosing an arbitrary bias that is actually false according to the numbers. The numbers don't lie. Even by SEC standards, UK's defense is very good. Multiyear starters on UK's defense tend to end up in NFL camps.

Last edited:
It's mid February. I am posting this now for a couple of reasons. For one thing, the football board seems really slow at the moment. But the main reason is to give us a month or so to discuss the topic before spring practice begins.

I will make some guesses that will inevitably get derailed by injuries, new transfers, and so forth. I have never been a very good fortune teller.

I am assuming injury rehabs will sideline these players from physical participation in the spring, but I could be wrong-

Brenden Bates
Jalen Geiger
Ramon Jefferson
Josh Jones
Josh Kattus
Vito Tisdale

So chime right in if you know of a Wildcat who should be added to or subtracted from this spring nonparticipation list. It has been reported that Leary and M. Cox are cleared and ready to practice.

The following players just enrolled at UK last month for the spring semester-

Khamari Anderson
Tanner Bowles
Anthony Brown
Ty Bryant
Marques Cox
Ray Davis
Jantzen Dunn
JQ Hardaway
Kobi Keenum
Devin Leary
Malachi Wood
Keeshaun Silver
Tommy Ziesmer

At one time, I expected Jamarion Wilcox to be a January enrollee, but I haven't found any reports of this happening.

Position changes have recently been reported for the following Wildcats-

Dee Beckwith- TE to WR
Tomiya Durojaiye- DE to DT
Darrion Henry-Young- LB to DT
Kenneth Horsey- LT to LG

Horsey, of course, was originally a very good LG before he was moved to LT last year out of necessity.

Available evidence suggests UK will use a three-WR basic offensive set and a 3-3-5 defense. (The z receiver plays in the slot.) UK and Ole Miss are among the national innovators with the 3-3-5 defense, and Brad White seems to like it. We know less about what Liam Coen will do, so let's take some hints from 2021 where we can.

Here are my guesses for the depth chart that will persevere by May. It is inevitable that injuries, transfers, overachievers, and underachievers will make some of these guesses wrong, but I have to start somewhere.

LT- M. Cox-Hall
LG- Horsey-Bingham
C- E. Cox-Keenum
RG- Burton-Bowles
RT- Flax-Buford (Jones rehab)
TE- Jo. Dingle-Cummings (Kattus and Bates rehab)
x- Key-Crowdus
y- B. Brown-Beckwith
z- T. Robinson-Anthony
RB- Davis-McClain (Jefferson rehab)
QB- Leary-D. Wade

DE- Rybka-Saunders
DT- Walker-Oxendine
NT- Hayes-Dinkins
Mike- Jackson-Fulton
Will- Wallace-Thrower
Jack- Weaver-K. Wade
Nickel- Afari-J. Robinson
BCB- Hardaway-Dunn
FCB- Phillips-Hairston
S- Lovett-Dodson (Tisdale rehab)
S- Childress-Stewart (Geiger rehab)

I left the six previously mentioned rehabbing players off my projected May depth chart because it looks like they can't compete until the summer. Most of them will probably win jobs in August. I can envision overachieving spring performances might bump up David Wohlabaugh, Paul Rodriguez, Khamari Anderson, Keeshaun Silver, or Tyreese Fearbry onto the May depth chart although they might have to dislodge more experienced returning players to make that happen.
FYI, Dodson is no longer playing football. He essentially retired..great kid

UK safety Taj Dodson has decided to retire from college football. Dodson has a year of eligibility left, but went through senior day ceremonies. This will open up an opportunity quicker for Vito Tisdale when he is fully healthy.
FYI, Dodson is no longer playing football. He essentially retired..great kid
Summarizing the current situation at safety. Keep in mind that in a 3-3-5 defense that uses a lot of zone coverage, the nickel back is sort of a third safety playing closer to the box. As discussed, Dodson has given up football. Jalen Geiger and Vito Tisdale are recovering from surgery and probably will not get involved in contact work this spring. Andre Stewart redshirted in 2022 and basically has no experience. Transfer Jantzen Dunn could see some action at S, but is reportedly getting a shot at CB first. January enrollee Ty Bryant was recruited as a safety.

So the returning starters Jordan Lovett and Zion Childress are the only experienced safeties in UK's spring practice.

Summarizing the current situation at safety. Keep in mind that in a 3-3-5 defense that uses a lot of zone coverage, the nickel back is sort of a third safety playing closer to the box. As discussed, Dodson has given up football. Jalen Geiger and Vito Tisdale are recovering from surgery and probably will not get involved in contact work this spring. Andre Stewart redshirted in 2022 and basically has no experience. Transfer Jantzen Dunn could see some action at S, but is reportedly getting a shot at CB first. January enrollee Ty Bryant was recruited as a safety.

So the returning starters Jordan Lovett and Zion Childress are the only experienced safeties in UK's spring practice.
According to the online roster, Londyn Craft is back after being injured all last year. Only a redshirt but he did have some experience at Mississippi State. Don't know his status for the fall, but that's potentially another option in reserve.

According to the online roster, Londyn Craft is back after being injured all last year. Only a redshirt but he did have some experience at Mississippi State. Don't know his status for the fall, but that's potentially another option in reserve.
He played well at MS St. A super hard worker am anxious to see what he looks like. Frosh Stuart and Anglin two others will be interested to see at safety also. A long and talented list of safeties, no way of telling who will emerge as the 2's.

Is Afari playing S, I forgot.

I don't know London Craft's status for the 2023 season, but he is a WO.

That's a good question. He backed up Wright some.
Afari mainly played nickel last year. Some oversimplified depth charts listed him as a backup Sam LB, but Afari was actually a nickel who got snaps when Brad White played 3-3-5. He wasn't really backing up Wright. The last coaching comment I heard on the subject was that he will get a spring trial at CB. That doesn't tell us a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT