ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT/Soccer Thread

Belgium does look great. But you have 3 teams in the final 4 that have never won the World Cup. The World Cup, much like the NCAA tournament, is where the cream rises to the crop. That's why I think it's a good bet that Brazil, France, or Spain will win.

I like going with the underdogs.

I got $50 bet on Belgium. Man that left side is crazy. I was hoping they would lose yesterday and and take our chances with Colombia. Mexico Brazil should be a fun one.

I think Southgate might be coaching himself into a big-time job after this tourney. I know England is doomed to flameout in spectacular fashion, but that guy seems to know what he's doing.

This game is incredible. That last goal by France may be goal of the Cup.

If every match was like Argentina v. France, I would be a soccer fan myself. If you didn't like that, then sports just aren't your thing. That last try by Argentina was damn close.

I'm partial to England because I know a lot of their players plus I speak the language - sort of. That said, Columbia is, oops, was by far the dirtiest team I've seen in the WC.

Friday: Uruguay v France & Brazil v Belgium
Saturday: Sweden v England & Russia v Croatia

Hard to believe one of those Saturday teams will be in the final. The other side of the bracket is just ridiculous. And this is why England didn't want to win vs Belgium - the reward was a quarter vs Brazil instead of Sweden.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
If Belgium finishes this off, its a real shame they get France in the semi-final. That should be the championship game since they are the two best teams left.

Neymar had the equalizer and that goalie just ripped his heart out. Incredible.

So this is the first time ever that one of the multi winners hasn't made it to the final 4 (Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and Uruguay)

Brazil had wide open, near point blank chances & blew them. Had no idea Lukaku was so fast.

Yeah that's the thing about Belgium's forwards, Lukaku, Batshuayi, Benteke, Origi --- they are huge dudes that are still fast as shit.

I think the loss of Thomas Meunier plays a pivotal role in France v. Belgium. Also think France's midfield controls the game more.

I am taking France 3-2.

Tomorrow I got England 1-0.

I got France 2-0 in the final.

France wins, though I still think Belgium the best and most complete team at the tournament... Croatia dominates England then beats France on penalties making sports history. :cool2:

That's my biased and wishful speculation, but Croatia would always rather play someone who will play against them, not bunker down and defend.

Also, in other news:

Cristiano Ronaldo has been sold from Real Madrid to Juventus for a fee of $120 million.

This is going to create a tidal wave effect for Club transfers:

This gives Real Madrid the funds to not only fund a Neymar transfer but also target the likes of Harry Kane, Robert Lewandowski, etc... who those respective teams will have to replace

All in a short window of barely a month due to the world cup!

Reactions: SomeDudeCRO
wow actually surprised that transfer went through, but I guess now would be best time to sell him still get good money for him.

talk about ROI

wow actually surprised that transfer went through, but I guess now would be best time to sell him still get good money for him.

talk about ROI

I'm not. Real Madrid refused to pay him what he wanted. He won 3 UCL's in a row. Juve was willing to pay him what he wanted. Real Madrid needed cash to facilitate the move for Neymar and other replacements. Makes sense on all sides really.

Juve get a clinical finisher in a league that puts far less wear and tear on a guy of Ronaldo's age. Juve's form of a ROI is a UCL title. And Ronaldo can deliver that. I mean just a quick examination of their team next year:

Ronaldo - Higuain
Dybala
Matuidi - Pjanic -Emre Can
Alex Sandro - Chiellini - Benatia - Joao Cancelo
Szezney

With a very deep bench in Douglas Costa, Bernardeschi, Khedira, Marchisio, Rugani, Mandzukic, etc....

The Old Lady is stacked---

Reactions: SomeDudeCRO
yeah, i agree it made sense... i meant more in the sense it's like the Bulls selling Jordan, when a player becomes your brand so to speak things tend to work out in the end, but yeah sport it different now and player "will take his talents to south beach" whenever they want

or like Messi to Man City for example, that would've surprised me no matter how the numbers crunched

Put me on the side that thinks Neymar is vastly overrated. Sorry, but he is not the 2nd coming of Pele or Maradona. Too much of a flopper and cryer and hasn't won a WC. He gets a lot of attention only because he is from Brazil.

he's tremendously skilled on the ball, can't be defended 1v1 so always gets fouled so he counters that with diving.

i hate diving more than anything, but in his case in particular i'm sympathetic with rules being as they are now

Also, in other news:

Cristiano Ronaldo has been sold from Real Madrid to Juventus for a fee of $120 million.

This is going to create a tidal wave effect for Club transfers:

This gives Real Madrid the funds to not only fund a Neymar transfer but also target the likes of Harry Kane, Robert Lewandowski, etc... who those respective teams will have to replace

All in a short window of barely a month due to the world cup!
No way Kane goes to Real at this point unless they are willing to pay upwards of £300m.

Could definitely see Lewandowski but don’t think that fixes Real’s aging squad

Well I guess I agree that he's not one of the best of all-time. I don't know who is saying he is. He's very good in this era.

Wont be france... i f they can so easily be outplayed by Belgium, then Croatia can do the same but win.

If England, it’s coming home euphoria will carry them over.

Can’t beleive they thought themselves favorites, come on man give me a break. :joy:

Aa Seedorf said football is played in the midfield, nice to have Kane and fast players but lets be real, you arrnt france who will be actually deserved favorites.

I'm pulling for The Blazers. Happy they made the final. Hope they beat France.

Cheers!

2zzq7ol.jpg

10n6xr6.jpg

Last edited:
England quit once Croatia scored that tying goal and Croatia just stepped on their throats after that. Gotta give them credit. They are a skilled and physical team that just bullied everyone en route to the final. Hope they take down France Sunday.

It's also very sad to me that Croatia, a country with a smaller population than Kentucky, can produce enough soccer talent to carry them to the World Cup final while the United States, with a population of 328 million, can't even qualify for the tournament.

England quit once Croatia scored that tying goal and Croatia just stepped on their throats after that. Gotta give them credit. They are a skilled and physical team that just bullied everyone en route to the final. Hope they take down France Sunday.

It's also very sad to me that Croatia, a country with a smaller population than Kentucky, can produce enough soccer talent to carry them to the World Cup final while the United States, with a population of 328 million, can't even qualify for the tournament.

In 95% of the rest of the world, the kids grow up wanting to play soccer. That is the problem with this country. I have been hearing for 20-30 years that the USA will do this or that when it comes to soccer, but unfortunately as long as this countries best athletes want to play baseball, basketball, and football, we will never win a world cup.

Took a major step back this world cup by not qualifying. Pulisic should be in there.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
In 95% of the rest of the world, the kids grow up wanting to play soccer. That is the problem with this country. I have been hearing for 20-30 years that the USA will do this or that when it comes to soccer, but unfortunately as long as this countries best athletes want to play baseball, basketball, and football, we will never win a world cup.

Took a major step back this world cup by not qualifying. Pulisic should be in there.

You’re absolutely right, but there’s enough interest in the sport nationwide. We should be able to develop a competitive team out of a pool of 328 million people, especially with the wealth of resources we have here in the U.S.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT