ADVERTISEMENT

UK attendance down 15% from last year

Cost for me and experience.

If me and the wife go to 3-4 games. That’s probably close to a $1000. I can buy 55-60 inch TV with a sound bar and pay for a whole season of sling or playstation vue to watch games. Don’t have to fight the crowd or traffic.

The cost is not worth the experience for me. I think people would rather save that $1000 or maybe spend it on going to SEC tourney versus seeing 3-4 games against no name opponents.
My group went to Chicago to watch Cats and couples spent $450 each for excellent sideline seats . I wasn’t sure what reaction would be since we normally don’t spend anything near that much. One guy said it best . “ you know I would rather do this once a year than go to ten games and sit in the second or third tier “

It's not the lack of quality opponents. Rupp used to sell out no matter what up until a few years ago.
The ticket prices aren't the problem either. Here's the thing, every game is now on TV, and in HiDef.
People like to drink, and you can't drink at SEC games. Parking has become expensive also.

Look, I have season tickets for both basketball and football. But, I have to admit, it's a pain in the ass to attend games anymore. Let me list the reasons.

1. The tv timeouts are way too long and brutal. It used to be that if a team called timeout before the under 16-12-8-4 tv timeout, that would take the place of the tv timeout. That's not the case anymore, and hasn't been in numerous years.

2. No beer or alcohol sales at SEC games. This is stupid and way over due to be changed. Look, people like to drink when they're watching sporting events.

3. People suck. Very few people nowadays are respectful of your space. I had some ahole last week that tried to own my seat and his. The bad thing is it wasn't even his seat.

4. The God-Awful Gangsta Rap that's played at these games makes me want to shoot somebody. Can we mix in some Eagles, and perhaps a few Zac Brown songs? Jesus Christ, are we living in East L.A.?

5. The lack of character of players has turned fans off.

6. It's just better, easier, and much cheaper to watch games at home.

What is the argument that our players exhibit "poor character"? We have been very fortunate to have a bunch of very high caliber young men that have been awesome in the community.

What the hell are you complaining about? The biggest issue that comes to mind is Willis being plastered last year.

That point is serious, serious bunk and speaks more to your character (or rather the lack thereof) not these well above average young men that Cal has consistently brought in.

Not a big jump but that's pretty lame to double the cost for students, esp when tuition is increasing 9% per year or whatever. Marginal revenues for UK.

Yep, charging our student fan base at all for these games is bs...not when Tuition, Room and Board is up to $11500 per semester before scholarships and grants.

Make it free again and get the busses going to get them there like when I was there (+$20 parking makes it a $30 decision for a student, if they even have a car) ...and students will pack ever game again. Charge these kids $10 and you can't be surprised or complain they bail on these nobody games.

Beer, Diner $...or UK vs a nobody that's on TV anyways...easy decision for a college kid on a tight budget.

..Now the season ticket holders are starting to make the same business decision...not worth the trip, time, $ to go to Lexington on weeknight for a sloppy game early against a bad team with players we don't even know much about yet. No Seniors, juniors also means no connections to the fans.

That said i'm going tomorrow.

Forest/Trees -

The waning interest in sports in general has more to it than HD TV's and ticket prices. I believe it to be more about the general public becoming tired of and more aware of the rampant hypocrisy running amok in our society. And it goes way beyond sports as we are seeing in the headlines.

I've been saying for years that NCAA sports, at the major level, have evolved over many years into a complete sham. A complete hypocrisy. And as of late there is the undefendable ruling on UNC, the tournament seeding, the officiating, U of L, and it goes on and on.

I believe the populace is rapidly tiring of being led by the nose by marketer's, politicians, other various leaders, who have gone too far to the point they are insulting those they count on for their success. The NFL, for example, is being taken down by fools that have no basis or footing in reality.

I also believe this growing awareness and frustration with over marketed jocks, as well as other prominent figures, is a good thing.

All Calipari does is willfuly and forcefully expose college basketball hypocrisy to his and our benefit and, in the end, it will lead to changes that are, eventually, inevitable.

The public, in general, is aware of and tiring of the hypocrisy in our society and that in the end will be a good thing.

Yep, charging our student fan base at all for these games is bs...not when Tuition, Room and Board is up to $11500 per semester before scholarships and grants.

Make it free again and get the busses going to get them there like when I was there (+$20 parking makes it a $30 decision for a student, if they even have a car) ...and students will pack ever game again. Charge these kids $10 and you can't be surprised or complain they bail on these nobody games.

Beer, Diner $...or UK vs a nobody that's on TV anyways...easy decision for a college kid on a tight budget.

..Now the season ticket holders are starting to make the same business decision...not worth the trip, time, $ to go to Lexington on weeknight for a sloppy game early against a bad team with players we don't even know much about yet. No Seniors, juniors also means no connections to the fans.

That said i'm going tomorrow.

True, I didn't even think about parking. When I went during undergrad we always had to leave early to find a free spot within a 20 minute walk. I like the busses idea. Keep it up [thumb2]

It's all cost for me. I live in Jessamine Co and would love to go to games, but the money is just too tight. Those ticket prices are out of range for me.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Cost and game experience are driving the attendance drop. Average Joe can’t afford much less get nice lowers. He can get a big TV and a cable package that lets him see all the games from the comfort of his home. Nobody wants to in a crappy seat at the top of the arena anymore. Young people don’t need to be at the same place anymore to have a group experience as long as they have their phone.

People now seem to have a shorter attention span and attending sporting events in person conflict with that.

Let's see.. Drive 2 hours to get to Rupp.. Buy decent tickets,, pay for parking,, pay for hotel.. Run somewhere around the $400-$500 range,, counting all expenses.. Or sit at home,, on my ass,, in my lazy boy,, 64" flat screen with surround sound,, bathroom 30' away.. Spend maybe $15 on beer.. Hard choice to make there..

Cost and game experience are driving the attendance drop. Average Joe can’t afford much less get nice lowers. He can get a big TV and a cable package that lets him see all the games from the comfort of his home. Nobody wants to in a crappy seat at the top of the arena anymore. Young people don’t need to be at the same place anymore to have a group experience as long as they have their phone.

Exactly. Going to a game I feel like I’m attending a damn practice. Just a coach yelling.

It's really this simple:

* Cost of tickets - $60-$100+ for 2 depending on location and opponent.
* Maybe sitting with someone's knees in your back, or just jammed in altogether.
* Cost to park - $15-$20
* Traffic in and out.
* Cost of concessions
* Time invested in getting there and back. For me, it's 9-10 hours, but will obviously vary.
* Cost of hotel (for me)
* Getting out in the cold, and maybe later on in the year running into bad weather.

versus:

* 55+" HDTV and all games televised.
* Watching the game in HD from my recliner with my feet up and my shoes off.
* My concession stand has my favorite food and drinks, and is just steps away with no line.
* My bathroom is steps away with no line.
* Can flip over to other games during timeouts and halftime.
* When the game is over I can watch whatever or simply go to bed instead of walking out into the cold and navigating traffic.

As people get older (like me), this is a great alternative. I used to go to several games a year, but haven't been since every game started being televised, even though the product on the floor is as good as it's ever been.

Roster has been turning over for awhile so no that’s not it. 40% if ticket prices (if true) is the culprit. Just think about some of the luxuries you would Cut back on if the price went up 40%. Especially when you can watch for free on TV.

Make no mistake the turnover in roster is also a driver behind this

It's really this simple:

* Maybe sitting with someone's knees in your back, or just jammed in altogether.
* Cost to park - $15-$20
* Traffic in and out.
* Cost of concessions
* Time invested in getting there and back. For me, it's 9-10 hours, but will obviously vary.
* Cost of hotel (for me)
* Getting out in the cold, and maybe later on in the year running into bad weather.

versus:

* My concession stand has my favorite food and drinks, and is just steps away with no line.
* When the game is over I can watch whatever or simply go to bed instead of walking out into the cold and navigating traffic.

As people get older (like me), this is a great alternative. I used to go to several games a year, but haven't been since every game started being televised, even though the product on the floor is as good as it's ever been.

Went to the game last night and although I didn't have anyone sitting beside us, we had them in front and behind so you're constantly being touched or trying to avoid bumping someone. Squeezing past people in the row is annoying too.

It's actually a burden to even go anymore. My father in-law season ticket holder thinks of it the same way. He put up all of his tickets before VaTech. The crap schedule plays a factor too.

Reactions: JDHoss
THANK YOU. Some will try to convince you it’s due to OAD because it’s how they think in their mind even though none of that has mattered in the last 8 seasons. Quickest way for a die hard fan to stop going to games is having to pay more when they can easily watch on HD which can be better than being at the game

It's really this simple:

* Cost to park - $15-$20
* Traffic in and out.
* Cost of concessions
* Cost of hotel (for me)

versus:

As everyone mentioned. Quality home entertainment systems, your own beer, bathroom, friends, etc...

Virtual Reality Pay-Per-View will be coming soon..... I would bet on it, matter of fact I know the research is going on now.

VR headset or TV with the view of the best seat in the house. It will come at a price but I think it will still be a better value.

This is exactly it. That’s why we’re seeing movie theaters not only selling alcohol now but also installing electric reclining seating where you can watch the thing with your feet in the air and a beer at your side. (Expanding the food choices as well.)

I went all the time when I lived in Lexington and I had a 19-inch SD TV, but now that I live more than an hour away, I only get to maybe 1 a year. (That excludes UL games every other year because my dad and I go together with his season tickets because of family tradition and mutual hatred for the Cards. Those are free.)

Like many others, choosing between:

Spending money on a tank of gas to get there and home (because a hotel is out of the question on my budget), tickets, dinner, parking, concessions, having to walk in the cold, navigating traffic near Rupp Arena and enduring Lexington drivers in general ...

Or...

Sitting at home,with games in HD on two screens, private bathroom and dining facilities with cook to order service, no cut offs on alcohol, free parking, no traffic, no gas being burned.

The crappy schedule doesn't help either. The UL game is the only "marquee" OOC game this year. The rest are cupcakes and Va. Tech.

You can poo poo the roster turnover argument all you want but when 7 or 8 people in this thread say it’s an issue; we’ll there’s your proof. I know it’s taboo discuss the oads negative impact but you are seeing it in the lack of enthusiasm and to a degree apathy in fans and lack of fans going to games. It isn’t just not selling tickets. The crowd this year has done very little to help their team.

Anecdotal blubbering by malcontents, just like I said.

Is not personally for me, but I know MANY fans that are tiring of the huge roster turnover every year. You can believe it’s not true, but it is.

(And please don’t say the old “they aren’t real fans then, because that’s BS)

Well, they sure aren’t dedicated fans and they sure as hell aren’t 15%. Maybe .15%

Combo of cupcakes, ticket prices, and having a team that's fairly uninspiring at the moment.

It'll be back over 22,000 every night for SEC games.

Btw. The NFL was fine until the kneeling. The day after the boycott you had half empty stadiums. If you want to believe others are as unpatriotic as you fine, but it's not true. The nation didn't like it and it directly correlated to the sudden deep drop for the franchises. I hope it continues until it crashes the league, then those brats can deal with the real world.

This latest incident is hilarious. Football players claiming Mexico treats them better and standing for that position. Even though Mexico has terrible race relations and for the most part hates Africans and blacks.

But let's just continue to coddle their nonsense.

Another topic for another day I guess.
touche...the irony. I bet the President of Mexico doesn't hate black people.

Honestly, it took me like 3 games to learn who these kids are. And considering how invisible some of them have been, I still don't feel like I know them as players.

Reactions: susan2361
The ticket prices almost have to increase at least every other year to help pay for the rising expenses associated with basketball. The coach and staff's salary ( I assume they get raises every year), cost of equipment and supplies, travel, etc. all increase. This is not just at UK, but most schools have to deal with this. I don't like it but there's not much I can do about it except not attend because I can't afford it, especially since I live 3-4 hrs away.

But ticket prices are just one part of the big picture. I agree with the other posters about the reasons given. I do think that player turnover is a small part of it. And people who feel that way are not necessarily fair weather fans. I am sure some of them have been supporting UK basketball longer than I have been around. With all that being said, everyone has their own reasons for feeling the way they do and no one is right or wrong, however I do think cost is the main reason. Sorry if I rambled...just had a lot to say.

Unless you have great, lower level seats and live close to Lexington, going to a game isn't that great of an experience.

Agree with the lower level part. I wouldn't accept a free ticket to sit in the upper deck no matter who we're playing. It sucks up there, football too at least in the upper corners.

It's not the lack of quality opponents. Rupp used to sell out no matter what up until a few years ago.
The ticket prices aren't the problem either. Here's the thing, every game is now on TV, and in HiDef.
People like to drink, and you can't drink at SEC games. Parking has become expensive also.

Look, I have season tickets for both basketball and football. But, I have to admit, it's a pain in the ass to attend games anymore. Let me list the reasons.

1. The tv timeouts are way too long and brutal. It used to be that if a team called timeout before the under 16-12-8-4 tv timeout, that would take the place of the tv timeout. That's not the case anymore, and hasn't been in numerous years.

2. No beer or alcohol sales at SEC games. This is stupid and way over due to be changed. Look, people like to drink when they're watching sporting events.

3. People suck. Very few people nowadays are respectful of your space. I had some ahole last week that tried to own my seat and his. The bad thing is it wasn't even his seat.

4. The God-Awful Gangsta Rap that's played at these games makes me want to shoot somebody. Can we mix in some Eagles, and perhaps a few Zac Brown songs? Jesus Christ, are we living in East L.A.?

5. The lack of character of players has turned fans off.

6. It's just better, easier, and much cheaper to watch games at home.

I was with you until the Eagles and Zac Brown. The Eagles debuted during the Rupp era. While we're at it, let's throw in some Beethoven.

Forest/Trees -

The waning interest in sports in general has more to it than HD TV's and ticket prices. I believe it to be more about the general public becoming tired of and more aware of the rampant hypocrisy running amok in our society. And it goes way beyond sports as we are seeing in the headlines.

I've been saying for years that NCAA sports, at the major level, have evolved over many years into a complete sham. A complete hypocrisy. And as of late there is the undefendable ruling on UNC, the tournament seeding, the officiating, U of L, and it goes on and on.

I believe the populace is rapidly tiring of being led by the nose by marketer's, politicians, other various leaders, who have gone too far to the point they are insulting those they count on for their success. The NFL, for example, is being taken down by fools that have no basis or footing in reality.

I also believe this growing awareness and frustration with over marketed jocks, as well as other prominent figures, is a good thing.

All Calipari does is willfuly and forcefully expose college basketball hypocrisy to his and our benefit and, in the end, it will lead to changes that are, eventually, inevitable.

The public, in general, is aware of and tiring of the hypocrisy in our society and that in the end will be a good thing.

Excellent post.

Reactions: ManitouDan
I know it's been discussed a bit here and you can see it on TV but I am surprised at the drop they are seeing.

15% or 3,500 down from last year and 17.5% and nearly 4,500 from peak attendance under Cal.

I am sure this correlates directly to a few things - the lack of quality home games and the insane increase (40% I believe) in ticket prices since 2010.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-insider-big-blue-nation-suffering-one-done-fatigue

As most have stated, not exactly a schedule that is going to pack them in, and I hate to say it, but at this point this team is hard to watch at times, I guess some fans would rather wait and watch them after they get the kinks worked out and play some decent teams.

Btw. The NFL was fine until the kneeling. The day after the boycott you had half empty stadiums. If you want to believe others are as unpatriotic as you fine, but it's not true. The nation didn't like it and it directly correlated to the sudden deep drop for the franchises. I hope it continues until it crashes the league, then those brats can deal with the real world.

This latest incident is hilarious. Football players claiming Mexico treats them better and standing for that position. Even though Mexico has terrible race relations and for the most part hates Africans and blacks.

But let's just continue to coddle their nonsense.

Another topic for another day I guess.
I couldn't agree more, we are just letting what many fought, died and suffered for just be thrown out the window like it was nothing.

THANK YOU. Some will try to convince you it’s due to OAD because it’s how they think in their mind even though none of that has mattered in the last 8 seasons. Quickest way for a die hard fan to stop going to games is having to pay more when they can easily watch on HD which can be better than being at the game
It's a cumulative effect, man.

Great when new, great when winning... shit in every other aspect from the perspective of the paying customer.

I know it's been discussed a bit here and you can see it on TV but I am surprised at the drop they are seeing.

15% or 3,500 down from last year and 17.5% and nearly 4,500 from peak attendance under Cal.

I am sure this correlates directly to a few things - the lack of quality home games and the insane increase (40% I believe) in ticket prices since 2010.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-insider-big-blue-nation-suffering-one-done-fatigue

Plus, UK has had a pretty good following in football. The athletic dept thinks that if they schedule a basketball game on Friday, instead of Saturday, it doesn't interfere with the basketball attendance. Apparently, it does.

Forest/Trees -

Great post.

Went to the game last night and although I didn't have anyone sitting beside us, we had them in front and behind so you're constantly being touched or trying to avoid bumping someone. Squeezing past people in the row is annoying too.

It's actually a burden to even go anymore. My father in-law season ticket holder thinks of it the same way. He put up all of his tickets before VaTech. The crap schedule plays a factor too.
It's always been that way though.
We've had crap schedules many years, so I don't think it's that either.

I will admit this, if I didn't have lower level seats, I would never go to a game in Rupp again. And that used to not be the case.

I just think it's a number of things.

People are different than they used to be. Sports just aren't as popular as it once was.
Ticket prices are just stupid expensive.
The quality of televisions now is another factor.
All of the games are on tv. That didn't used to be the case. Especially for football.
Obviously the kneeling nonsense has hurt also.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT