ADVERTISEMENT

I Just Came Back From Watching Travis Perry and Boogie Fland in The City Of Palms Tournament

Since I live about 5 miles from Ft Myers, Fla I spent two days watching about 12 of the top HS BB teams in the country pl;ay in the City of Palms classic.. Before I share my "amateur" observations I want to post a disclaimer! I am a 80 year old retired Army full colonel. I have expertise in contingency war planning and bass fishing, but none in evaluating basketball talent. Feel free to critique or disagree with my observations!
Tug, I'm about your age...and just decided to move 5 miles from Ft Myers so I can live next door to you.
This ^^^^^ Paragraph is the best thing I ever read on this Board!!! EVER!!!

Reactions: truckbrandon
Since I live about 5 miles from Ft Myers, Fla I spent two days watching about 12 of the top HS BB teams in the country pl;ay in the City of Palms classic.. Before I share my "amateur" observations I want to post a disclaimer! I am a 80 year old retired Army full colonel. I have expertise in contingency war planning and bass fishing, but none in evaluating basketball talent. Feel free to critique or disagree with my observations!
I saw Lyon co and Travis Perry play two games. He scored 30 in the first and 40 in the 2nd against very good teams. He has incredible quickness and speed, dead eye 3 pt and mid range jump shooter. I saw him hit 15 consecutive 3 pt range shots during pre game warm up. He has excellent ball control skills, a motor that never quits or slows down and can create his own shot with his lateral quickness and great leaping ability. He is a very intelligent player who has great court vision and is one of the best passers I saw. I was very surprised to see that he has added 10-15 pounds of muscle since I saw him on tv last year. He can take a hit and is still strong enough to finish the play. He was the best pure guard I saw. His game is almost a carbon copy of Reed Sheppard's. The only player I would rank above him is Dylan Harper, He is a better player than Acuff, Boogie Fland and Camden Boozer. Lyon county is one of the most enjoyable teams I have ever seen play in HS college or the pros. If you ever get a chance go see them.

Boogie Fland with his quickness, great hops and driving ability has tremendous upside but he is frail and spends a lot of time on the floor. He also takes a lot of plays off. If he gets his shot blocked he has a tendency to hang his head and walk to the other end of the floor. Conversely, when motivated or challenged he can be unstoppable. On a couple of occasions he and Acuff were guarding each other and were exchanging some good natured jawing. Twice I saw Boogie leave Acuff's feet nailed to the floor and zoom past him with a two hand dunk. Plays like that is the potential Boogie that I assume Cal saw. In summation If Cal can get him in the weight room and his motor running 100% the sky is the limit for him.

Acuff reminds me of Wagner. Very strong, good handle, streak shooter and outstanding athletic ability. Motor is a problem, he takes too many plays off and hangs his head w3hen he makes a mistake. Camden Boozer is in my opinion the most overrated player I saw. He had 10 turnovers in the one game I saw him play. It could be that he was under the weather or was just having a bad game, But based on this performance I don't think he would be a 5 star if his name wasn't Boozer.
Absolutely fabulous post !! Regards Perry, great to hear your thoughts … does he work hard on defense and can he stay with people off the dribble, keeping them in front of him ??

If he can shoot as well in college and he has in high school … I predict he will promptly be nicknamed Treyvis Perry !! 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Absolutely fabulous post !! Regards Perry, great to hear your thoughts … does he work hard on defense and can he stay with people off the dribble, keeping them in front of him ??

If he can shoot as well in college and he has in high school … I predict he will promptly be nicknamed Treyvis Perry !! 😎
If anyone is interested in seeing him play, they play in the lex catholic tournament starting wed.

I saw Lyon co and Travis Perry play two games. He scored 30 in the first and 40 in the 2nd against very good teams. He has incredible quickness and speed, dead eye 3 pt and mid range jump shooter. I saw him hit 15 consecutive 3 pt range shots during pre game warm up. He has excellent ball control skills, a motor that never quits or slows down and can create his own shot with his lateral quickness and great leaping ability. He is a very intelligent player who has great court vision and is one of the best passers I saw. I was very surprised to see that he has added 10-15 pounds of muscle since I saw him on tv last year. He can take a hit and is still strong enough to finish the play. He was the best pure guard I saw. His game is almost a carbon copy of Reed Sheppard's. The only player I would rank above him is Dylan Harper, He is a better player than Acuff, Boogie Fland and Camden Boozer. Lyon county is one of the most enjoyable teams I have ever seen play in HS college or the pros. If you ever get a chance go see them.

Boogie Fland with his quickness, great hops and driving ability has tremendous upside but he is frail and spends a lot of time on the floor. He also takes a lot of plays off. If he gets his shot blocked he has a tendency to hang his head and walk to the other end of the floor. Conversely, when motivated or challenged he can be unstoppable. On a couple of occasions he and Acuff were guarding each other and were exchanging some good natured jawing. Twice I saw Boogie leave Acuff's feet nailed to the floor and zoom past him with a two hand dunk. Plays like that is the potential Boogie that I assume Cal saw. In summation If Cal can get him in the weight room and his motor running 100% the sky is the limit for him.

Acuff reminds me of Wagner. Very strong, good handle, streak shooter and outstanding athletic ability. Motor is a problem, he takes too many plays off and hangs his head w3hen he makes a mistake. Camden Boozer is in my opinion the most overrated player I saw. He had 10 turnovers in the one game I saw him play. It could be that he was under the weather or was just having a bad game, But based on this performance I don't think he would be a 5 star if his name wasn't Boozer.
Appreciate your service, Colonel. Old Air Force guy here (24 years)

Welcome home!

Went on an Honor Flight this May and we had 1 ww2 vet on our flight along with 16 Korea vets and 72 Nam guys and gals. Great trip! Encourage you guys to sign up for it.
My Uncle was going to take that trip but Covid hit an he did not get to go. He is just not able to do it now.

If anyone is interested in seeing him play, they play in the lex catholic tournament starting wed.
Thank you … great info !! Here is the schedule. I posted it again below, as a fresh post to bring it on top.

Last edited:
I do a lot of bass fishing (pond jumper) on post at Ft. Sill. I use Bass Pro Shop stick worms mostly but on occasion have used Zooms. Pictured below is one from a small pond not far from where I was working at the time . Caught two about that size (almost 7lbs) that day. Caught on an October afternoon Friday after work (still in work clothes) before going home about 5 years ago. Have caught many more since then but only one about as big as that one.

20180907-181919.jpg
Warrior, I fish almost exclusively with Zoom trick worms rigged carolina rig with 1/2 oz bullet wt and 2'0 offset owner worm hook. I turn the hook back into the worm to make it weedless I use cherry seed in dingy water and when its at dusk or dawn, I also use various watermelon trick worms in clear water or in daylight hours.

Reactions: warrior-cat

Acuff reminds me of Wagner. Very strong, good handle, streak shooter and outstanding athletic ability. Motor is a problem, he takes too many plays off and hangs his head w3hen he makes a mistake. Camden Boozer is in my opinion the most overrated player I saw. He had 10 turnovers in the one game I saw him play. It could be that he was under the weather or was just having a bad game, But based on this performance I don't think he would be a 5 star if his name wasn't Boozer.first off
Thanks for your service

i lived in Winter Haven for a few years, it is hard to beat Central Florida for Bass, Crappie fishing

Reactions: warrior-cat
Appreciate your service, Colonel. Old Air Force guy here (24 years)

Welcome home!
Samurai, Were you ever stationed at Wright Pat AFB. My Dad moved us from Sandy Hook, Ky to Fairborn, Ohio when I was 12 years old. Went to high school there with all the base kids. I went through the DISAM course at Wright Pat when I was a Lt Col in 1980.

Travis Perry and Lyon County playing in Lexington, beginning on Wednesday.

Hey tug I am in Naples not far away. Haven't made the city of Palms this year. I both freshwater and saltwater fish but haven't done a lot of that lately. Anyway great report was pleased to read it
Dave, I think I met you there several years ago. I was with Dave Harris, starting point guard on those great St Louis U teams in the early 60's. He scored 22 points against the Cotton Nash team in their upset of the cats in the 1962 UKIT. I think you and Dave talked for a long time.

One year I sat with Delray Brooks for about 4 hours and then the next day for a couple more hours. That's when I met Rick Pitino and started evaluating players in Florida for UK. Did that for 13 years until tubby let me go. I don't remember talking with Dave Harris but my memory is not what it used to be LOL

One year I sat with Delray Brooks for about 4 hours and then the next day for a couple more hours. That's when I met Rick Pitino and started evaluating players in Florida for UK. Did that for 13 years until tubby let me go. I don't remember talking with Dave Harris but my memory is not what it used to be LOL
I don’t blame him. You let Teddy Dupay slip right through your fingers!!

I don’t blame him. You let Teddy Dupay slip right through your fingers!!
LOL yeah I would have liked to have had tubby Court Teddy but everyone knew he was a lock for the Gators so didn't even try. He committed to Florida after his sophomore year under Pitinos watch. As it turns out he flamed out at Florida and was dismissed from the team for gambling. Even so I watched him play Prince's Compton team in which Teddy scored 54 and Tayshaun scored seven.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Samurai, Were you ever stationed at Wright Pat AFB. My Dad moved us from Sandy Hook, Ky to Fairborn, Ohio when I was 12 years old. Went to high school there with all the base kids. I went through the DISAM course at Wright Pat when I was a Lt Col in 1980.
No, sir. Hard to get orders there since basically it's all civilians/contractors (at least for my AFSC)

Did time in Germany (6 years) Japan/Okinawa (6 years...this is where I came up with my moniker on here), North Dakota, North Carolina (Fayettenam) and retired out of Andrews back in 2014.

Thanks for the kind words. Come on down I'll take you fishing.
Speaking of Ft Myers: my parents retired in Naples. Played golf with him at the Vineyards (hosted PGA event - Lee Trevino won that year early 90's)

...Dad and I were on the 10th tee. Huge Mansion sitting on right side.

...I pointed at it and said: "Wow! I wish that guy was MY DAD!"

...Dad: "Funny thing. I was just thinking - I wish that guy was MY SON!"

Cal is not playing a zone defense, so hopefully Perry will be able to guard on the ball. I liked the way he sees the floor and passes, from the highlights. Saw him get his three busted. Does he get his shot off quickly?

Thank you for your service kind sir. Thank you for that because that was some excellent basketball evaluation !

What a great report. Thank you.

Perry is gonna be Reed 2.0 … their games are different but I just mean in terms of being kids who are overlooked nationally and wind up being way better than everybody thought. And yeah I know Reed was a McD’s AA but he was an afterthought in that game.

I don’t know what has taken people so long but I want to be the first to thank you for your service.

Perry is gonna be Reed 2.0 … their games are different but I just mean in terms of being kids who are overlooked nationally and wind up being way better than everybody thought. And yeah I know Reed was a McD’s AA but he was an afterthought in that game.
At one of those post-season all-star games, they asked the players who was the player who the media had missed. Lots of players were named, but Sheppard was the one most cited. Other players knew what's what. So, now when you see him getting face-guarded, you know other coaches do, too.

Biancardi said that nobody shot it deeper than Perry and nobody played with more IQ and toughness than Perry at the City of the Palms.

At one of those post-season all-star games, they asked the players who was the player who the media had missed. Lots of players were named, but Sheppard was the one most cited. Other players knew what's what. So, now when you see him getting face-guarded, you know other coaches do, too.
It has been mentioned on here but Shep’s AAU team was awesome, anybody that watched them play Dillingham and baby Lebron knew Reed was as good or better than the perceived top players.

Lyon County - Lexington Catholic in the final tomorrow at 5:00 PM. Here is box score for semi-final game tonight.

Last edited:
If the talent Rick got was an indication of the players you evaluated, and the beginning of Tubby’s Tenure compared to the end. If he let you go and it’s nose-dived like it did, he made a mistake letting you go.

I havn't seen Perry play but he sounded like a Lofton type(the Ky boy that went to UT). I'm happy to hear that he is more like Sheppard; I knew he was a shooter and scorer but glad to hear about the rest.
I would take either (Lofton or Sheppard)!

As for Fland, he sounds a bit like Hagans.

SIAP, but remember when assessing Boogie Fland, who his competition at the City of Palms was--Montverde and IMG Academy. Fland isn't on some loaded HS team, it's a really high level HS basketball program, but it's not loaded with All Star guys. So if we're going to mention an evaluation and it's a one man gang taking on 2 of the more talented teams in HS basketball, that should be factored in evaluation as well.

Travis Perry is a fantastic HS player and will be a fine addition at Kentucky. He was in the "weight class" part of the event where they bring in smaller HS and showcase the individual players on those teams. Perry will bring great shooting/floor spacing for team as you can't leave him open. He's also not Reed Sheppard and that's fine. Sheppard's all around game is elite. Perry is an elite shooter. Cal landing both is a great job and look forward to seeing Perry light it up from deep/contribute at UK.

Fland is nothing like Ashton Hagans as a player and thankfully person. Boogie is a well respected leader who is very mature for his age (again he's age of a HS Jr/25 class member) and will be a fine addition to the program. I'd compare him to Quickley/Knight combo regarding past UK guards.

Reactions: Mulder14 and G-PIP
I would take either (Lofton or Sheppard)!

As for Fland, he sounds a bit like Hagans.
Different build. Different speed. Different mindset.

More like Dillingham to my eyes. Except not as reckless.

In the clip I saw, the other team often doubled Fland with bigger players who appeared to have no trouble at all with that. Fland's a very exciting player. Hagans was a blue collar, get-out-of-my-way bull.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT