ADVERTISEMENT

UK attendance down 15% from last year

Tickets were nearly impossible to get 38-1 year. Crazy how it’s changed.. again — due to many factors — some out of UK’s control.

I love UK Basketball, but I refuse to pay over $100 for a decent ticket and $20 to park EVERY game. If my wife and I go thats over $220 to attend a 9 pm game on a Tuesday against Ole Miss.

UK Basketball has topped out on the price to attend. Hopefully, this decrease in attendance will bring the cost down to go to a UK game.

Kentucky fans are getting 'Hip' to what Cal teams with all freshman and no superstar returners looks like early......skipping the first 20 games is a must.

It's just ugly un-entertaining basketball 70% of the time without a superstar point guard like Wall or Fox.

Cal also failed to bring in a badass shot blocker. Those guys make the early games watchable. I miss the Noel, WCS, and Davis types.

I wish this team had Ayton, Bagley, Sexton, and Duvall. Those are the guys who would've made this early season fun. Cal didn't get it done with recruiting imo.

With a system like Cal's where you don't have a lot of veteran guys playing a major role, guys you can get to know and get attached to - you better bring in that future superstar talent every year - somebody the fans can get excited about.

Seems like it's been a while since we had THAT guy - the much-hyped mega-star player - guys like John Wall and Anthony Davis. Land Zion Williamson and I suspect you'll see attendance back up.

Most of the reasons have been mentioned so maybe 10 different reasons are valid

However the advent of HD TV and the decreasing cost of a very large TV and having every game broadcast on either SEC or ESPN is the major cause in my opinion. I have had season tickets since Rupp opened but generally give most of them away to my employees because most games are on weekdays , competition is spotty at best, most of really big games are not in Rupp, and the atmosphere in Rupp is boring unless we are facing a marquee opponent which happens only 3-4 times per year. I do not really think the composition of the team plays a major role. The schedule does! On the other hand I look forward to football games even though I never tail gate. The atmosphere is much more fun .

I don’t see how people get excited for the lame out of conference schedule. It has bothered me for years that UK only plays one or two big OOC games each year at Rupp.

Cost is the main driver for me. Turnover of players is very frustrating and I am tired of it but i would not say that is one of my excuses for not going to a game.
Don't know what tickets to y'all games cost but I always thought once I had retired I would've gone to a lot of our games.It costs upwards of four hundred dollars after parking to go to one of our preseason games.As much as Inlove Duke I cannot pay that especially since I can watch for free at home.

Reactions: WildMoon and kev69
Okay I'll be that guy don't crucify me. The domestic terrorism in Las Vegas, the church shooting in Tennessee, are also small factors in this.
I can honestly say that this has never entered my my
Kentucky fans are getting 'Hip' to what Cal teams with all freshman and no superstar returners looks like early......skipping the first 20 games is a must.

It's just ugly un-entertaining basketball 70% of the time without a superstar point guard like Wall or Fox.
It's just going to take a while with this team. I think they'll be really good by tournament time. If they're not, then next season will be good.

Reactions: crpoore
@kev69 I actually think you left off the two biggest reasons. The advent of HD TV and cable expansion and rise in ticket prices. Why spend hundreds of dollars for so-so seats for the family, when you can watch it at home, on a TV with a better view.

This isn't the 70's anymore.. but more importantly, it's not the 2000's anymore, either.

Yeah that jump, if it affected student attendance at all, was an incredibly poor decision.

@Deli owl - understood, but athletics gives and takes (UK gives, UL takes) from the university all the time. Just give a little less (marginal) back to the university. They're already giving back millions per year.
Meh $5. Can't stay the same forever.

Reactions: awf and kev69
There are lots of factors.
Generally cost is #1.
But also "free" time is slowly lessening.
Also quality, size, cost, & availability of TVs. Big difference from watching on a 40" SD tv, and a 60" 4K HDTV.
It's also becoming easier to watch games without paying extra for a satelite/cable basketball package.
And you can pause the live game, get a beer, use the can, throw one down on your old lady in the sack, shower, get a beer, use the can, and then get back to the game while gaining fast forward time through commercials.

@kev69 I actually think you left off the two biggest reasons. The advent of HD TV and cable expansion and rise in ticket prices. Why spend hundreds of dollars for so-so seats for the family, when you can watch it at home, on a TV with a better view.

This isn't the 70's anymore.. but more importantly, it's not the 2000's anymore, either.
Yeah, you're absolutely right.

Hard to get excited for a sport that's about as rigged as the WWE.

..but at least Wrestling will flat out admit it's storylines are fabricated and predetermined..

Kentucky has almost no chance at a title. Let me clarify, that they are absolutely talented enough for the title, but the NCAA wont allow it. Through crappy officiating.. to the selection committee dropping us in seeding.. to the protection Duke will get. Just don't think this team has a chance to overcome that.
If you believe this, why do watch the game and waste your time. I am not trying to pick an argument. I know if I believed this way I wouldn't waste my time

This is a trend that every single sport, college, pro, you name it is having. Younger people just don't go out as mu ch and even if they are huge fans, rather sit at home in front of a HD TV with friends and be able to tweet, post and comment while watching. As, order food, beer, and not wait on line to use the bathroom.

Plus, You can barely get a signal in Rupp and that is something they have to fix! It is just a fact of trends with fans. You will see key games be just as sold out, but random games not so much. I think fixing the wifi would help and making the lottery for students easier (who waits in line these days, no one under 50!).

Plus, I would say that this class doesn't have the "WOW" players as some years, which doesn't help draw the marginal fan. Player turnover doesn't make sense, if they were losing, now that would matter...due to turnover...

Constantly rotating roster and matchups against garbage teams are bad enough but, combine those two issues with very poor performances and people will lose interest very quickly. Last nights game was very hard to watch on TV, I can't imagine having to sit in Rupp and watch it. Just awful.
BTW, this was a subject of discussion on Larry Glover's show today (yes, I know) and some even said that the atmosphere at the games is keeping them away. Timeouts that are too long (as mentioned in this thread) and woeful halftime entertainment are just the icing on the cake.
UK may have to look at putting ALL student seating up for general admission to purchase at the gate. Students show their ID and get in for $10. Everyone else pays standard single game rate.
If it gets bad enough you'll see seating at Rupp reduced to 16,000-17,000 and luxury suites installed. From what I've heard that is a very real possibility.

I don't buy the roster negative impacts to the attendance in the least. That's utter BS with no supporting data except anecdotal blubbering by a few malcontents. Nancy Boys are going to whine.

Ticket prices, yeah, could be. Simple supply and demand taking hold. Combine that with less disposable income and you could get some negative pressure on attendance.

Another poster mentioned jerks in the crowd. Now that is a legitimate driver. The incidence of rectal orifices in crowds is growing steadily greater. The entitled "me-me" group is getting more obnoxious every day

On a related note, more are going to games for circus entertainment rather than enjoying the competition. Basketball acumen is on a dramatic decline, due I think, in no small part to ESPN and talking heads telling folks what to like. They have lost the appreciation for one team competing against another.

But the biggest driver sits in our living rooms. HD TV, instant replay, etc etc. are huge enticements to just stay at home.

Someone mentioned commercials. Just using football as an example, CBS should provide on field commercial entertainment while they rerun and rerun and rerun and rerun the same commercials over and over and over and over (get my point?). In the stadium, all you see is players milling about waiting for the opportunity to compete again. Definitely distracts from the experience.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I hope you are talking about other teams' players. I think we've had pretty great kids in Cal's reign.

I don't buy the roster negative impacts to the attendance in the least. That's utter BS with no supporting data except anecdotal blubbering by a few malcontents. Nancy Boys are going to whine.

Ticket prices, yeah, could be. Simple supply and demand taking hold. Combine that with less disposable income and you could get some negative pressure on attendance.

Another poster mentioned jerks in the crowd. Now that is a legitimate driver. The incidence of rectal orifices in crowds is growing steadily greater. The entitled "me-me" group is getting more obnoxious every day

On a related note, more are going to games for circus entertainment rather than enjoying the competition. Basketball acumen is on a dramatic decline, due I think, in no small part to ESPN and talking heads telling folks what to like. They have lost the appreciation for one team competing against another.

But the biggest driver sits in our living rooms. HD TV, instant replay, etc etc. are huge enticements to just stay at home.

Someone mentioned commercials. Just using football as an example, CBS should provide on field commercial entertainment while they rerun and rerun and rerun and rerun the same commercials over and over and over and over (get my point?). In the stadium, all you see is players milling about waiting for the opportunity to compete again. Definitely distracts from the experience.

You can poo poo the roster turnover argument all you want but when 7 or 8 people in this thread say it’s an issue; we’ll there’s your proof. I know it’s taboo discuss the oads negative impact but you are seeing it in the lack of enthusiasm and to a degree apathy in fans and lack of fans going to games. It isn’t just not selling tickets. The crowd this year has done very little to help their team.

Roster turnover is playing a slight role. I know people who usually travel with us that aren't interested this year. There's others like them.

It's also ticket prices and quality of home games. Too many neutral court games that should be played in Rupp.

Reactions: BoxterS and kev69
Cost for me and experience.

If me and the wife go to 3-4 games. That’s probably close to a $1000. I can buy 55-60 inch TV with a sound bar and pay for a whole season of sling or playstation vue to watch games. Don’t have to fight the crowd or traffic.

The cost is not worth the experience for me. I think people would rather save that $1000 or maybe spend it on going to SEC tourney versus seeing 3-4 games against no name opponents.

Hard to get excited for a sport that's about as rigged as the WWE.

..but at least Wrestling will flat out admit it's storylines are fabricated and predetermined..

Kentucky has almost no chance at a title. Let me clarify, that they are absolutely talented enough for the title, but the NCAA wont allow it. Through crappy officiating.. to the selection committee dropping us in seeding.. to the protection Duke will get. Just don't think this team has a chance to overcome that.
I wish this was the case but I have my doubts that it has sunk in that deeply.You are correct about those reasons being enough to keep folks away.The NCAA bull $h!t and officiating being so bad that it has taken much of the entertainment value out of a sport that I enjoyed once upon a time.

I wish this would catch on all over the country,but ESPN and the rest of the media would blame it on something else.

Watching at home or at a bar you can see replays of cool stuff that happens but you have to listen to off the wall announcers.

I think there is some truth to the fact that people can see this team is a little different than past UK teams and for whatever reason they(fans) haven't been as quick to form the attachment of other years.

Last edited:
Btw. The NFL was fine until the kneeling. The day after the boycott you had half empty stadiums. If you want to believe others are as unpatriotic as you fine, but it's not true. The nation didn't like it and it directly correlated to the sudden deep drop for the franchises. I hope it continues until it crashes the league, then those brats can deal with the real world.

This latest incident is hilarious. Football players claiming Mexico treats them better and standing for that position. Even though Mexico has terrible race relations and for the most part hates Africans and blacks.

But let's just continue to coddle their nonsense.

Another topic for another day I guess.

As everyone mentioned. Quality home entertainment systems, your own beer, bathroom, friends, etc...

Virtual Reality Pay-Per-View will be coming soon..... I would bet on it, matter of fact I know the research is going on now.

VR headset or TV with the view of the best seat in the house. It will come at a price but I think it will still be a better value.

Reactions: catdoug
Can our students use their meal card at Rupp and Kroger ? Other schools are now doing this and maybe that will help attendance if we don’t currently have a system to allow it .

Cal also failed to bring in a badass shot blocker. Those guys make the early games watchable. I miss the Noel, WCS, and Davis types.

I wish this team had Ayton, Bagley, Sexton, and Duvall. Those are the guys who would've made this early season fun. Cal didn't get it done with recruiting imo.
Agree 100 percent. Missed out on all the studs. Duvall Would 've been huge.

Been to 3 or 4 games so far this year. Student upper deck is basically empty - sit wherever you want. This is the majority of the decrease. Idk if they will pick it up when we get in conference or what...

Some other areas are spotty. Clearly a drop off in expectations this year. Turnover in roster has nothing to do with it, other than maybe a few anecdotal grumps who don't like Cal's style.
Not buying it. No reason any real fan wouldn’t know if they’ve been to either 3 or 4 games

Is not personally for me, but I know MANY fans that are tiring of the huge roster turnover every year. You can believe it’s not true, but it is.

(And please don’t say the old “they aren’t real fans then, because that’s BS)

Been to 3 or 4 games so far this year. Student upper deck is basically empty - sit wherever you want. This is the majority of the decrease. Idk if they will pick it up when we get in conference or what...

Some other areas are spotty. Clearly a drop off in expectations this year. Turnover in roster has nothing to do with it, other than maybe a few anecdotal grumps who don't like Cal's style.

I think turnover in roster plays a part, but it is secondary. If the turnover in roster still results in a team which most view as being exciting and one of the favorites to win the title, it has no impact. I do think when the team is perceived to be "good but not great" the interest is higher if the fans feel a connection to the players. Basically, if the team is 1.) almost entirely new faces, 2.) not perceived as being one of the main title contenders, and 3.) the fans have the expectation that most of the new faces will bolt to the NBA after the season, those things combined will result in lower interest.

I don't think those things alone would contribute significantly to lower attendance, but a general decrease in interest, definitely. For me the main driver is that I have no faith in the product, but that's the NCAA's fault.

With a system like Cal's where you don't have a lot of veteran guys playing a major role, guys you can get to know and get attached to - you better bring in that future superstar talent every year - somebody the fans can get excited about.

Seems like it's been a while since we had THAT guy - the much-hyped mega-star player - guys like John Wall and Anthony Davis. Land Zion Williamson and I suspect you'll see attendance back up.

We had two guys with THAT guy quality just last season in Monk and Fox. They were studs and so was Murray the year before with a soph Ulis. Towns would have been a mega stud on a normal Cal team but had to sacrifice in 2015 a ton stats' wise for the betterment of the team.

uk fans are poor. and a sizable portion of the fanbase is broken since the loss to Wisconsin. they have checked out and almost nothing will get them back. if Cal wins another title, there wont be a celebration, it will be..he should have 2 or 3 more.

cals out in 2 years when brad graduates IMO.

uk fans are poor. and a sizable portion of the fanbase is broken since the loss to Wisconsin. they have checked out and almost nothing will get them back. if Cal wins another title, there wont be a celebration, it will be..he should have 2 or 3 more.

Why do you pretend to be a Kentucky fan?

Agree 100 percent. Missed out on all the studs. Duvall Would 've been huge.

As much as I support and love the Cats, I have to believe the roster change every year is a huge factor. Other than the Kansas game, and that game wasn't much, the level of play has been pretty poor. If you want to watch high school basketball and save a lot of money, go to your local high school and support them.
These guys will get better no doubt. But to spend a fortune on mediocre teams and play is a little crazy. Especially when you know they're gone as soon as they can.

So at what point does it go from "anecdotal" to a pattern?

Arrogance is an issue for many.

Not buying it. No reason any real fan wouldn’t know if they’ve been to either 3 or 4 games

Lmao sorry I didn't sit here and count exactly how many I've been to. One was an exhibition so, didn't know if that really counts for your records. Believe what you want. Did you happen to have differing information on the upper deck student section? Didn't think so.

I think this is the best answer I have read. Spot on

I think turnover in roster plays a part, but it is secondary. If the turnover in roster still results in a team which most view as being exciting and one of the favorites to win the title, it has no impact. I do think when the team is perceived to be "good but not great" the interest is higher if the fans feel a connection to the players. Basically, if the team is 1.) almost entirely new faces, 2.) not perceived as being one of the main title contenders, and 3.) the fans have the expectation that most of the new faces will bolt to the NBA after the season, those things combined will result in lower interest.

I don't think those things alone would contribute significantly to lower attendance, but a general decrease in interest, definitely. For me the main driver is that I have no faith in the product, but that's the NCAA's fault.

Fair enough, but I still think the top reason is lower expectations. Second reason may be because of ticket price, who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT