ADVERTISEMENT

UK attendance down 15% from last year

Hard to get excited for a sport that's about as rigged as the WWE.

..but at least Wrestling will flat out admit it's storylines are fabricated and predetermined..

Kentucky has almost no chance at a title. Let me clarify, that they are absolutely talented enough for the title, but the NCAA wont allow it. Through crappy officiating.. to the selection committee dropping us in seeding.. to the protection Duke will get. Just don't think this team has a chance to overcome that.

Wow! You got 24 likes on that!

Would love to go see a game, personally. Haven’t been to one since 2003. :cry:

For me, there have been various reasons over the years. Mostly it’s money. Not just ticket prices but also gas, food, and a sitter for the kids. Then there are the time constraints... weeknight games are difficult due to work and school. Weekends would be easier..well, would have been before I took the job I have now. Husband works nights so I’d be alone

But it’s not because of the roster, I generally know which player is which before the season anyway.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
As a season ticket holder, I haven't been to a single game this season, mostly because I moved to Louisville to take a job. I know, I know, real fans, etc etc. But, I agree with the post comparing the college game to the WWE. It's hard to get excited about a season when you've seen how so many have ended in screw jobs.

Here's the twist to this comment... I sold a couple games (face value) but the rest went unused. However, I recently discovered Vet Tix. So instead of tickets going unused, I'm just going to donate them for the rest of the season. I guess the point is, I've been part of the attendance problem, but hopefully my seats will be filled by someone more deserving going forward.

Reactions: Bkocats
The home schedule has been weak. That is reasons 1,2 and 3.
Far further down the list you can make argument for $$, turnover, etc.

That is to much I would pay 2k

Not too far off...the new LG OLED panels on glass look fricking amazing but cost 5K for a 65" :eek:

I'm pulling the trigger when they fall to around half that price...plus more bugs will be worked out
on the technology by then. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long. :flushed:

Reactions: awf
This is the biggest thing for me. UK basketball hasn’t been the same since the Wisconsin loss. I used to plan my days and weeks around our schedule and now I don’t even know for sure when we play. I just check the schedule on days we normally play. The games this year I haven’t really cared about watching. In fact I’ve fell asleep during 2 games and watched other stuff during another.
No one cares.

So the day of t
Not too far off...the new LG OLED panels on glass look fricking amazing but cost 5K for a 65" :eek:

I'm pulling the trigger when they fall to around half that price...plus more bugs will be worked out
on the technology by then. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long. :flushed:
I will bring the beer over and some hot wings .

Reactions: CatPhight
Cal’s time at UK- the greatest period of Kentucky basketball under one coach since the late 1950s. That isn’t conjecture or opinion, it’s fact. How has he accomplished that? Bringing in the best talent even if it means they stay for one year. So spare me the lame I don’t get to know the players crap. What a farce.

i know several people who are choosing to sit this year out because of ticket prices and quality. With Cal we had been a bit spoiled, it's not about OAD's, but the quality of the rosters is definitely making people rethink the season. There's no big time player to offset it like there has been in years past.

It's a complex issue and there are several answers.

Why would UK raise student prices when attendance was struggling? That's just pure greed. $5 is not a lot but that $210 extra over a season and $420 if you go to them all. That is quite a bit of money while factoring in the overpriced tuition of college in the U.S. Parents are already squeezed and students should be offered affordable entertainment as part of their tuition package.

I try to get to one a year if I can find a decent ticket price. I like to take my son, but don't have enough disposable income to go all the time. I will confess that for the first time ever I have not even watched more than a few minutes this year. The OAD mass Exodus and no real "superstar" coming in to replace them has not stirred a lot of my interest. The Kansas game was so late that it was hard on working people to watch it. Maybe a few better opponents will peak my interest more. This is the first time that I've never been really excited about it in a long time.

Hard to get excited for a sport that's about as rigged as the WWE.

..but at least Wrestling will flat out admit it's storylines are fabricated and predetermined..

Kentucky has almost no chance at a title. Let me clarify, that they are absolutely talented enough for the title, but the NCAA wont allow it. Through crappy officiating.. to the selection committee dropping us in seeding.. to the protection Duke will get. Just don't think this team has a chance to overcome that.

Sadly, this is it. It was bad before, but the UNCheat ruling was the proverbial straw. Undeniable evidence that college basketball is absolutely corrupted.

i know several people who are choosing to sit this year out because of ticket prices and quality. With Cal we had been a bit spoiled, it's not about OAD's, but the quality of the rosters is definitely making people rethink the season. There's no big time player to offset it like there has been in years past.

It's a complex issue and there are several answers.
Well here is the thing- people bitch if he doesn’t get the very top talent. Then when he does, they bitch there aren’t more players who stay longer. Some people aren’t going to be happy no matter what he does.

Well here is the thing- people bitch if he doesn’t get the very top talent. Then when he does, they bitch there aren’t more players who stay longer. Some people aren’t going to be happy no matter what he does.

I think it's more to do with what people have been used to.

Most people don't like the OAD. But they enjoyed AD, Wall, Cuz, and Kat. It offset the negative feeling toward the OAD.

This season we don't have those players, and most people are sort of casual. They aren't thinking Cal is trying to keep people around, they seem to think he just missed prime targets and we have a lackluster roster this year. Add that plus the cost? Not happening.

Like I said, I know some die hard UK guys who travel yearly with our group and this year they just aren't feeling it. And it's the first time I've whitnessed
It.

If Bagley was on the court this year, I'd bet a million this wouldn't be happening.

From my personal experience anyway.

I for one love who we have coming in, and think this team has been written off way too early.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
Ticket prices have increased 40% in 7 years? Is this true?

I'd have to look, I know ours went way up but I didn't think it was 40%.

You'd think after Barney has sold our name to anyone with a buck they wouldn't have to screw the most faithful fan base in the world.

I hate the Kentucky establishment today. All of them.

I think it's more to do with what people have been used to.

Most people don't like the OAD. But they enjoyed AD, Wall, Cuz, and Kat. It offset the negative feeling toward the OAD.

This season we don't have those players, and most people are sort of casual. They aren't thinking Cal is trying to keep people around, they seem to think he just missed prime targets and we have a lackluster roster this year. Add that plus the cost? Not happening.

Like I said, I know some die hard UK guys who travel yearly with our group and this year they just aren't feeling it. And it's the first time I've whitnessed
It.

If Bagley was on the court this year, I'd bet a million this wouldn't be happening.

From my personal experience anyway.

I for one love who we have coming in, and think this team has been written off way too early.
Some people have wanted players to return. They will next year. But that doesn’t mean this year is a write off- I’m very bullish on this team in March. Once again, the one and done has led to the most successful period in UK basketball under one coach since the late 1950s. I have no desire to go back to the three or four year players being the backbone of the team. I want success on the court not a “personal” relationship with players.

No one cares.
Evidently you do since you quoted a week or two old post. But not surprising since you follow me around like a lost puppy. You’re not my type, too mouthy, so get to stepping.

And btw the 90’s were better than what Cal has done so far. 2 titles > 1 title.

Aside from the obvious UNC cesspool and what should've been ineligibility for Bagley at Duke, excuse me Bagley the III, the economy is not in nearly as good of shape as our government wants you to believe.

Reactions: NoDef
There is probably no "one" reason, but a combination of several factors for lower attendance this year. Low-level competition, odd game times, no superstars, perceived down year, lack of interest in watching the learning curve, not familiar with the players, some leftover "sports blahs" from the Florida football game, cost to attend (tickets, parking, food, etc...), ability to watch for "free" at home, etc... all add up. It's not that EVERYONE has decided not to attend. But for some people, those factors that I listed tip the needle towards staying home to watch instead of attending.

As an aside, I was given two lowers to a game recently. Took a friend. Guy to his right weighed 400 lbs and ate up 1/2 of my buddy's seat. A 4-year old sat to my left and used his seat as a trampoline and jungle gym. We made the best of it, but it's easy to see why some people would prefer to stay home and watch in the comfort of their own homes.

Reactions: KailuaCat and awf
Evidently you do since you quoted a week or two old post. But not surprising since you follow me around like a lost puppy. You’re not my type, too mouthy, so get to stepping.

And btw the 90’s were better than what Cal has done so far. 2 titles > 1 title.
Reading comprehension is your friend. Under one coach, Cal is better. When you get your GED and learn to comprehend what you read, get back with us. Until then, I suggest you quit making a fool out of yourself.

But attendance is down as a whole.

It’s not really a UK issue. It’s an NCAA college basketball issue. Or sports in general.

But attendance is down as a whole.

It’s not really a UK issue. It’s an NCAA college basketball issue. Or sports in general.

Too much other stuff consuming the income and really no fix in site. Low unemployment #s are supposed to push wages, but from what I read the other day it just isn't happening. Until a bunch of people start being able to afford to go to games without feeling a pinch at the end of the month it won't improve.

Personally Im sticking with Rick in the 90's as our best tenure of my lifetime. only 6 years of eligibility for the post season .....and the 1996 was more fun for me than the 2012 and 2015 seasons combined. I'm not letting rick being a douche nozzle the last 8 years sour my happy memories from the 1990's.

But Cal will end up being the best........ he'll get more final fours and hopefully another title before he retires here...... but just going by up until now... I'll go with the traitors tenure here.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
"i was going to go to the uk game this weekend and cheer on a team/program i've loved for decades, but decided not too because unc didnt get punished and now i cant enjoy my team play"

nothing about that makes sense to me on any level.

UK is getting sick money from JMI and the SECN....... and I'm sure our NBA players are already being boosters and donating some back.............

Maybe its time to clean house from our university because if they are having to raise prices that much over 7 years then some thing is seriously wrong.

"i was going to go to the uk game this weekend and cheer on a team/program i've loved for decades, but decided not too because unc didnt get punished and now i cant enjoy my team play"

nothing about that makes sense to me on any level.

Its called depression numb nuts....... you dont feel like doing much when you are depressed. Its also not easy to kick even when you realize you are depressed and why.

Attendance in every sport at every level across the board is down.

65" big screens, unlimited supply of food and beverage plus no travel, lines or crowds.

It is what it is.

crisp_tree.gif

Reactions: Chase4UK and JDHoss
Its called depression numb nuts....... you dont feel like doing much when you are depressed. Its also not easy to kick even when you realize you are depressed and why.

if people are too depressed to get off the couch and go see a game you supposedly love that is really pathetic. but i actually agree with you.

Personally Im sticking with Rick in the 90's as our best tenure of my lifetime. only 6 years of eligibility for the post season .....and the 1996 was more fun for me than the 2012 and 2015 seasons combined. I'm not letting rick being a douche nozzle the last 8 years sour my happy memories from the 1990's.

But Cal will end up being the best........ he'll get more final fours and hopefully another title before he retires here...... but just going by up until now... I'll go with the traitors tenure here.
I would have to disagree. Like 2012, 1996 was more a relief than anything. The 2011 and 2014 runs were the most fun I have had watching UK basketball even though they didn’t get the title. Cal’s four final fours in 6 years including two title games and a title beats Pitino’s run from 1992 to 1997 imo.

Lame home schedule and increased ticket prices don’t help. Calipari’s decision to play good teams on neutral sites doesn’t help the Rupp schedule, but I understand he reasoning for it.

Yep, charging our student fan base at all for these games is bs...not when Tuition, Room and Board is up to $11500 per semester before scholarships and grants.

Make it free again and get the busses going to get them there like when I was there (+$20 parking makes it a $30 decision for a student, if they even have a car) ...and students will pack ever game again. Charge these kids $10 and you can't be surprised or complain they bail on these nobody games.

Beer, Diner $...or UK vs a nobody that's on TV anyways...easy decision for a college kid on a tight budget.

..Now the season ticket holders are starting to make the same business decision...not worth the trip, time, $ to go to Lexington on weeknight for a sloppy game early against a bad team with players we don't even know much about yet. No Seniors, juniors also means no connections to the fans.

That said i'm going tomorrow.

Excellent post

Reactions: Chase4UK
Let's see.. Drive 2 hours to get to Rupp.. Buy decent tickets,, pay for parking,, pay for hotel.. Run somewhere around the $400-$500 range,, counting all expenses.. Or sit at home,, on my ass,, in my lazy boy,, 64" flat screen with surround sound,, bathroom 30' away.. Spend maybe $15 on beer.. Hard choice to make there..

64 inch? That’s obscure lol but i agree with everything in this post.

I live in louisville, but still... going to a game would be an entire day event and honestly kind of a hassle. Not going to drop hundreds** of dollars for sideline/ first 5-7 row seats. Still would probably drop a few hundred for $hitty seats for me , my wife and 3 sons ... parking ... not to mention a lot of times you can barely even tell wtf is going on if you get some random crappy seats.

OR sit at home, in my insanely cozy living room on my leather couch, 60 inch tv , fresh snacks (much cheaper than $6 hotdogs ) able to drink beer if need be, pause , rewind ... relax.

The prices for good seats are just absurd

The attendance drop is the result of several issues, all mentioned here already.

• Roster Turn Over: I was talking to 3 long time UK fans last weekend, two season ticket holders one in their 30's (34) one was 62 and a third fan in their mid-40's who used to watch every game. From that small sample. the two season ticket holders have skipped several games out of lack of enthusiasm, mostly based on the massive year to year turn over, especially the 34 year old. They both acknowledged the need to go after the best players, but it has changed the dynamic of the game and following your team creating a lack of enthusiasm and loyalty; especially players leaving that could really use another season or two. The non-season ticket holder said she has had dwindling interest the last few years, her sole reason was roster turn over. Used to record every game and attend in person several games a year, she watched a few last year, none so far this year except 10 mins of Kansas.
  • Ticket Prices
  • Poor home schedule
  • Better HD TV at home, less expensive and no crowds.
  • Crappy cellphone reception at Rupp
  • Crooked officiating and favoritism
  • The UNC decision.
  • Sports are losing popularity, especially with the Millennials.

Reactions: KFuqua and Chase4UK
poor diallo, skj, wg, and thai. 4 guys all returned to play on this team but because of "roster turnover" fans wont show up and support these returning players. sad.
The sheer irony is you know so much more about the one and done players now because of social media etc. than you ever did about the previous four year players.

ADVERTISEMENT