ADVERTISEMENT

UK attendance down 15% from last year

Can't decide if this is an attendance thread or a TV brag thread...
poor diallo, skj, wg, and thai. 4 guys all returned to play on this team but because of "roster turnover" fans wont show up and support these returning players. sad.
Watched part of a game over T'giving...

I had no idea The Weekend played so many positions for us.

I think roster turnover absolutely is a factor.

I used to get really bummed when we lost in the tourney - like I'd be off for a few days.

Now, its like meh, we'll have 5 more kids who I couldn't pick out of a lineup on the floor next year. Rinse, repeat. I'm not nearly as emotionally invested as I used to be.

If Maye hits that shot 10 years ago, I'd be throwing shit around followed by a few hours of depression. When he hit the shot against us in March of this year, I barely reacted.

lol you barely reacted ? Ok..

Reading comprehension is your friend. Under one coach, Cal is better. When you get your GED and learn to comprehend what you read, get back with us. Until then, I suggest you quit making a fool out of yourself.
Yeah because one year makes that big of a difference. God you’re an idiot. Regardless, 1990’s > 2010’s

The sheer irony is you know so much more about the one and done players now because of social media etc. than you ever did about the previous four year players.

I think part of it is perception, after the massive turn over since 2010 even when a few do stay the fans that have lost interest don't even realize it. Also, everyone isn't glued to "social" media and sports radio reading or listening about guys playing a game, more to life than that. Plus people are so busy in their personal lives and more stress they don't have a ton of time to invest in sports.

Reactions: FusterCluck
sports as a whole has fallen in attendance. You could probably say entertainment you have to get out of the house for has declined in attendance ..

Maybe home entertainment on the rise has some to do with it......... Cable/Satellite prices are high as hell....... and not everyone knows about other great services like Playstation Vue for far cheaper..... And smart phones cost a sh*t load and keep people occupied...

There is proof places like Russia bought adds on facebook etc.... maybe subliminal messaging???? Sh*t like that really happens....... so we cant rule anything like that out.

For me...... it was UNC being given the title..... then getting off the hook for cheating and then finding out they had the rules changed over a year ago that allowed them to get off the hook. Since my injury in 2012 , I've had time to watch every decent game on tv and watch espn and I did........ I watched our games 2-3 times before the next UK game.......... now its down to watching it live only... and I've only seen 4 games that werent UK games. I wouldnt play monopoly with an effing cheater controlling the bank so I cant put my heart in UK when cheaters run the sport.

Smart phones are actually very very afforsble these days. You can get a free iPhone 6/s with just about any carrier now. For the “budget” carriers (cricket , boost etc) you can get free smart phones as well.

I was spending a small fortune to get tickets for my wife and grandkids, then drive from Cincinnati, Usually made 2 or 3 games a years at Rupp. Now just to expensive.

Why would UK raise student prices when attendance was struggling? That's just pure greed. $5 is not a lot but that $210 extra over a season and $420 if you go to them all. That is quite a bit of money while factoring in the overpriced tuition of college in the U.S. Parents are already squeezed and students should be offered affordable entertainment as part of their tuition package.

I try to get to one a year if I can find a decent ticket price. I like to take my son, but don't have enough disposable income to go all the time. I will confess that for the first time ever I have not even watched more than a few minutes this year. The OAD mass Exodus and no real "superstar" coming in to replace them has not stirred a lot of my interest. The Kansas game was so late that it was hard on working people to watch it. Maybe a few better opponents will peak my interest more. This is the first time that I've never been really excited about it in a long time.

Weather seems fair today

Cal’s time at UK- the greatest period of Kentucky basketball under one coach since the late 1950s. That isn’t conjecture or opinion, it’s fact. How has he accomplished that? Bringing in the best talent even if it means they stay for one year. So spare me the lame I don’t get to know the players crap. What a farce.
Yeah I don’t get that. Would be understandable 20 years ago, but with information so easy accessible via the internet, there is really no excuse.
There are tons of articles on the players. Honestly I think it’s easier to “get to know them” now than it used to be. Seriously, unless you’re personally connected, how can you know anything besides what you see on tv?

Yeah I don’t get that. Would be understandable 20 years ago, but with information so easy accessible via the internet, there is really no excuse.
There are tons of articles on the players. Honestly I think it’s easier to “get to know them” now than it used to be. Seriously, unless you’re personally connected, how can you know anything besides what you see on tv?
One must first possess a desire to seek out such info.

I'm here every morning and a lot of afternoons. I can read quite well, navigate this site and operate a mouse... I just don't care enough yet... and I'm, obviously, not alone...

I'm here every morning and a lot of afternoons. I can read quite well, navigate this site and operate a mouse... I just don't care enough yet... and I'm, obviously, not alone...
My thought is that if one is complaining about not knowing the players, then there are resources to rectify that. Otherwise they’re just bitching to be bitching.

You post here ... on a Kentucky basketball message board quite frequently but don’t care enough to read Kentucky basketball information on the Kentucky basketball board ...?

Gotcha lol...

if people just arent into this team....when they start losing games, i'm sure the reaction will be just as muted.

I think the "getting to know the players" aspect isn't necessarily related to reading about them. It is getting to watch them play and develop, watch their strengths and weaknesses etc. and watch them improve over time. Not reading on Facebook about their favorite artist, food, eating habits, high school stats, fart patterns etc.

I think the "getting to know the players" aspect isn't necessarily related to reading about them. It is getting to watch them play and develop, watch their strengths and weaknesses etc. and watch them improve over time. Not reading on Facebook about their favorite artist, food, eating habits, high school stats, fart patterns etc.
Fair enough

FWIW I don’t get info from Facebook.

I know plenty about the players but haven’t seen or read anything about them on Facebook ... what makes you think people read about players farting and food on Facebook?

Reactions: Bkocats
I know plenty about the players but haven’t seen or read anything about them on Facebook ... what makes you think people read about players farting and food on Facebook?

Replace Facebook with any social media, scouting report, article, talk show etc whatever you can actually comprehend, it doesn't matter. A lot basketball fans would rather watch the guys play and develop over a few years than reading about them in any form.

Totally agree.

I don't need, or want too for that matter, know anything personal about the players. That just doesn't interest me in the slightest. But, I always liked to watch a player develop and improve over a three or four year period. Those days are gone. That's just the way it is.

You post here ... on a Kentucky basketball message board quite frequently but don’t care enough to read Kentucky basketball information on the Kentucky basketball board ...?

Gotcha lol...

I'd wager fewer than 1/10th of my posts here are on Rafters. And the majority of those are in NCAA tourney and UL scandal threads. You're welcome to search and verify. I'm a Paddock/Lair guy.

Never claimed I wasn't a Bball fan. I claimed that mine and others' interest in Bball is waning and/or takes half the season to warm up these days, which this thread bears out. This thread addresses that issue in an indirect manner... which relates directly to me and my feelings on the program.

"I don't care enough yet" was the quote. Not I don't or won't care. I'm just not there yet and this is a recurring issue for me for the past 4-5 seasons. Evidently, I'm not alone.

Do you not follow the team? News ? Etc? How did it take you 3 games to know our players?

I
Before Calipari was hired I was much more focused on recruiting. Now I figure he's got it and no need to worry about that. Plus my general distaste for the NCAA leaves me wanting nothing to do with the rest of college athletics outside our school. I love UK basketball and I'm enjoying this team so far. I can just understand how people who aren't diehards feel more apathetic as the years go on, especially when we don't have larger than life figures like Wall or Davis on the team. Personally, Calipari is my favorite coach we've ever had and I wouldn't trade his MO for anything, even if we sacrifice some of the connection we once felt with our players.

Understood. I think I see less complaining about the effort requiredand more of a malaise about caring in general.
Matter of viewpoint :)
I WAS referring to those who claim to want to care but don’t know anything about the team, and that’s why they don’t

I have seen the lack of caring overall to a small extent, though. Can’t say I understand it, but respect that it’s felt.

I'd wager fewer than 1/10th of my posts here are on Rafters. And the majority of those are in NCAA tourney and UL scandal threads. You're welcome to search and verify. I'm a Paddock/Lair guy.

Never claimed I wasn't a Bball fan. I claimed that mine and others' interest in Bball is waning and/or takes half the season to warm up these days, which this thread bears out. This thread addresses that issue in an indirect manner... which relates directly to me and my feelings on the program.

"I don't care enough yet" was the quote. Not I don't or won't care. I'm just not there yet and this is a recurring issue for me for the past 4-5 seasons. Evidently, I'm not alone.

Maybe not alone , but definitely in the minority. For someone who admittedly knows very little about our basketball program , coach, team, recruiting etc you sure do have quite a bit to say in regards to our team... coach ... players etc. Very odd.

I typically don’t post in areas i have no interest in. But, every fan base needs its fairweathers .. so... And yes i know you’re a paddock guy ... lol and a darn fine job ya do there! ;)

I think part of it is perception, after the massive turn over since 2010 even when a few do stay the fans that have lost interest don't even realize it. Also, everyone isn't glued to "social" media and sports radio reading or listening about guys playing a game, more to life than that. Plus people are so busy in their personal lives and more stress they don't have a ton of time to invest in sports.
You know when I lost interest? The four year player coaches Tubby Smith and Billy G who went nowhere with their teams except for Tubby’s first year. Cal, Wall and company brought the excitement and swagger back that was missing in UK basketball.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I admitted to being a fan. Just not where some are in December. I've posted about 6 times in this thread that I clearly admitted is of interest to me.

Not sure what you want from me. I simply gave my opinion and backed it up.

I admitted to being a fan. Just not where some are in December. I've posted about 6 times in this thread that I clearly admitted is of interest to me.

Not sure what you want from me. I simply gave my opinion and backed it up.

Yes you gave an opinion , but you definitely did not “back it up”

Perhaps you meant backpedaled?

poor diallo, skj, wg, and thai. 4 guys all returned to play on this team but because of "roster turnover" fans wont show up and support these returning players. sad.

I do think that this particular roster has generated less excitement than some I'm the past. Knox is sitting right on the top 10 line and a couple of others are projected late first round. The returning players mentioned above only had one of them play any minutes of significance last year, which places them as pretty much "new" players too. I'm guilty of not watching more than a few minutes of game this year for the first time in my lifetime. I usually like to take the boy up every year to see some of the best players in the country, but this roster just doesn't have the "must see" kids on it.

Who knows though, might end up being a really good squad..

64 inch? That’s obscure lol but i agree with everything in this post.

I live in louisville, but still... going to a game would be an entire day event and honestly kind of a hassle. Not going to drop hundreds** of dollars for sideline/ first 5-7 row seats. Still would probably drop a few hundred for $hitty seats for me , my wife and 3 sons ... parking ... not to mention a lot of times you can barely even tell wtf is going on if you get some random crappy seats.

OR sit at home, in my insanely cozy living room on my leather couch, 60 inch tv , fresh snacks (much cheaper than $6 hotdogs ) able to drink beer if need be, pause , rewind ... relax.

The prices for good seats are just absurd
I don't know what my tv is inch wise.. May be a 60".. Just know it's a 60 some " tv,, lol..

I do think that this particular roster has generated less excitement than some I'm the past. Knox is sitting right on the top 10 line and a couple of others are projected late first round. The returning players mentioned above only had one of them play any minutes of significance last year, which places them as pretty much "new" players too. I'm guilty of not watching more than a few minutes of game this year for the first time in my lifetime. I usually like to take the boy up every year to see some of the best players in the country, but this roster just doesn't have the "must see" kids on it.

entitled uk fans on full display in this thread.

I've not watched more games this season alone than I have in the rest of the Cal era combined. Just not must see anymore. The one game I went to at Rupp was the worst attended game I've ever been to. I'm honestly enjoying going to HS games more.

I honestly don’t mean to sound like a jerk but this is literally (and i know literally is used to often these days) but literally this is the definition of a fair weather fan.

Reactions: Bluegrassking
ADVERTISEMENT