ADVERTISEMENT

UK attendance down 15% from last year

Thinking we need to take notes in this thread. We finding out who are the actual basketball fans versus the one’s just wanting to watch side show freaks and spectacles.

Yeah I don't understand how anyone could call themselves a fan if they are only around during good times.

I'd much rather go 30-10 than 10-30, but I'll support the team either way.

With a system like Cal's where you don't have a lot of veteran guys playing a major role, guys you can get to know and get attached to - you better bring in that future superstar talent every year - somebody the fans can get excited about.

Seems like it's been a while since we had THAT guy - the much-hyped mega-star player - guys like John Wall and Anthony Davis. Land Zion Williamson and I suspect you'll see attendance back up.
The guy above you said.....the EXACT same thing. You ever notice sometimes when you read comments there will be two exact comments in a row from two different people? Blows my mind.

I don’t see how people get excited for the lame out of conference schedule. It has bothered me for years that UK only plays one or two big OOC games each year at Rupp.
Well hold on to your six shooters partner! What do you mean lack luster OOC? WE played the almighty Vermont wood choppers didn't we? Fun fact: they won 29 games last year and came within 15 points of beating a #20 ranked Purdue last year!

Yes sir we are mighty proud of that around these here parts!

Reactions: UKUGA
I can honestly say that this has never entered my my

It's just going to take a while with this team. I think they'll be really good by tournament time. If they're not, then next season will be good.
You're correct, that's part of the reason why people are waiting till later in the year.

If you believe this, why do watch the game and waste your time. I am not trying to pick an argument. I know if I believed this way I wouldn't waste my time
Well I don't agree we are talented enough this year, WE DONT SUCK, but if we have guys come back, next year could be special.
Everything else about the seeding, protecting Duke....most of us do believe. We continue to watch because there are years we beat the odds, like when they gave us the finger by giving us the last 4 seed, but we gave them the finger right back by beating their precious overall #1 seed Ohio State.
It's times like that, that we know we're the best program cheating NCAA be damned!

Attendance is declining in pretty much all sports. We have sports overload. There's way too many games on TV and sports talk and TV shows are on 24/7. The NFL has been experiencing this on a huge scale. Plus, when you add in all the political bullshit that athletes and coaches seem to want to inject into sports, people have gotten fed up. There's zero doubt that the cost to attend a live game (tickets, parking, concessions, etc.) coupled with great TV viewing at home has had an impact, but even TV viewership has been sharply declining with sports in general.

Reactions: Elijah55
Hard to get excited for a sport that's about as rigged as the WWE.

..but at least Wrestling will flat out admit it's storylines are fabricated and predetermined..

Kentucky has almost no chance at a title. Let me clarify, that they are absolutely talented enough for the title, but the NCAA wont allow it. Through crappy officiating.. to the selection committee dropping us in seeding.. to the protection Duke will get. Just don't think this team has a chance to overcome that.
I agree with All except I don't think we are good enough this year. We don't suck by any means, we're a good team. I just don't see title good.

This is a trend that every single sport, college, pro, you name it is having. Younger people just don't go out as mu ch and even if they are huge fans, rather sit at home in front of a HD TV with friends and be able to tweet, post and comment while watching. As, order food, beer, and not wait on line to use the bathroom.

Plus, You can barely get a signal in Rupp and that is something they have to fix! It is just a fact of trends with fans. You will see key games be just as sold out, but random games not so much. I think fixing the wifi would help and making the lottery for students easier (who waits in line these days, no one under 50!).

Plus, I would say that this class doesn't have the "WOW" players as some years, which doesn't help draw the marginal fan. Player turnover doesn't make sense, if they were losing, now that would matter...due to turnover...
You're absolutely correct...but my take on why people don't want to attend games with 90% yearly turnover is we know a national title is highly unlikely. Folks thinked Cal proved everyone wrong in 2012 when he won a title that featured a few freshman.

That's not what people are saying, for one, that team returned 3 key starters from last year's Final four team with our sixth man, Darius Miller, the SEC MOP.

SO He didn't really win it with just freshmen. THIS YEAR? Yes. Our top 6 guys are freshmen with either Alexander, or Greene first off bench. That's Amazing! If we won it this year, it would be incredible.....I honestly don't think we will, but I'm just being realistic, although I certainly hope we do.

Anyways, if we have most everyone come back next year, and add Quickly, Zion, ect.... The stands will stay packed.

Another ridiculous thing about that article is that it's comparing the entire years home attendance numbers to just the first four home games of this season.

Why don't we wait until the end of the year and compare to see how attendance was

Or at the very least compare that with our first four games from the previous years

In that light I'm sure it's not much different than last years gauntlet of Stephen F Austin, Cansius, Duquense, and Cleveland St.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Only so many hours in a day.

225407.png

Yeah I don't understand how anyone could call themselves a fan if they are only around during good times.

I'd much rather go 30-10 than 10-30, but I'll support the team either way.
I disagree. 10-30 would be awesomer (sp) to see. That would require a 2-29 regular season. Five sec tourney wins and then a loss in the elite 8 (or sweet sixteen if a play-in conference champ).

It's cost. It's always been cost. People just have other options on how to watch the games and things to do besides watching games. The sports bubble is bursting.
The cost is bull... They're plenty of fans that would go to these games, if they were worth watching.. You can't get excited on TV to watch... These sorry teams should be on Morehead State's schedule... Oh even they play better competition... You get quality competition and watch Rupp fill up... At least a quality game out of every three games... Sorry....

The cost is bull... They're plenty of fans that would go to these games, if they were worth watching.. You can't get excited on TV to watch... These sorry teams should be on Morehead State's schedule... Oh even they play better competition... You get quality competition and watch Rupp fill up... At least a quality game out of every three games... Sorry....

SOS is pretty low compared to the other top programs, but who knows how that will factor in the selection process. If our SOS is high they usually focus on losses and I guess if we have a low SOS it will be the year where all the focus is playing good teams even though you might lose a few.

I know a few season ticket holders that don't live in Lexington and they will rarely travel to a weekday game against a bad opponent. They usually try to give them away, but it's hard to find someone that works to even take a free offer for a no name week day opponent if it means them getting home at midnight.

Reactions: Gary4UK
SOS is pretty low compared to the other top programs, but who knows how that will factor in the selection process. If our SOS is high they usually focus on losses and I guess if we have a low SOS it will be the year where all the focus is playing good teams even though you might lose a few.

I know a few season ticket holders that don't live in Lexington and they will rarely travel to a weekday game against a bad opponent. They usually try to give them away, but it's hard to find someone that works to even take a free offer for a no name week day opponent if it means them getting home at midnight.
You hit the nail on the head with this post... True!

Part of the drop in sales may also be the schedule itself this season. Friday games aren't the best for people. Speaking for myself, we couldn't get to the Friday games, and mid-week games are always out of the question for us. So, there haven't been many good choices for us. We're about 4 hours away and I have a large family.

And that leads to the other issue, which is ticket prices. Even nose bleed tickets cost my family about $300. That's pocket change to some, but not us.

Well hold on to your six shooters partner! What do you mean lack luster OOC? WE played the almighty Vermont wood choppers didn't we? Fun fact: they won 29 games last year and came within 15 points of beating a #20 ranked Purdue last year!

Yes sir we are mighty proud of that around these here parts!

Ignorant

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT