ADVERTISEMENT

UK attendance down 15% from last year

You can poo poo the roster turnover argument all you want but when 7 or 8 people in this thread say it’s an issue; we’ll there’s your proof. I know it’s taboo discuss the oads negative impact but you are seeing it in the lack of enthusiasm and to a degree apathy in fans and lack of fans going to games. It isn’t just not selling tickets. The crowd this year has done very little to help their team.

I agree it takes time for fans to develop an affinity for certain players, plus if we had a more veteran roster, they would not have to schedule all these weak ass teams so Cal can work out the kinks and bring in some better competition.

Reactions: KFuqua
Cost and game experience are driving the attendance drop. Average Joe can’t afford much less get nice lowers. He can get a big TV and a cable package that lets him see all the games from the comfort of his home. Nobody wants to in a crappy seat at the top of the arena anymore. Young people don’t need to be at the same place anymore to have a group experience as long as they have their phone.
Cost of tickets and gas are definitely a huge factor. And I don't know about the rest of you on here, but between the cost of cable, internet and cell phones....I almost can't afford to leave my house any more!! These costs have probably forced many to choose between attending or staying at home to watch on a regular basis.

A general theme of many in this thread has been not only price but one of convenience. The ability to save money while sitting in their lounge chair at home watching for free. Food and facilities at the fingers touch.

I totally agree. However, you have to know that at some point the powers that be will see the decline in attendance, understand that TV at home is a factor.

Then my fear is that our days of watching free on TV may then be over. Of course not all but the smaller games will be out. The powers that be will find a way of making their money with no consideration of anything else. Certainly not the average fan. Unfortunately, I believe PPV is coming down the pike. Then I'm gonna need another Cawood to listen to.

I dont think roster turnover has ANYTHING to do with it. I think its financial, plain and simple.

it doesnt. but people dont want to admit to being poor because its on them. instead...its someone else's fault...like always.

you dont hear that excuse when it comes to football. there are 60 guys on the sideline, guys transfer in/out all the time. how many times have you heard it there? there are 30 new faces and 15 faces who never played the previous year. just hard to get into football right? lol

uk plays 8 guys in basketball. WG, SKJ played last year and diallo was on the team. its a phony excuse.

poor, entitled fans are checked out. if its not an amazing team full of stars who are 3 and 4 year players where we are miles ahead of everyone, beating people by 30, playing great competition each and every game...they are not into it.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
It's not roster turnover. It's simply a reflection of how excited the fan base is about this particular team's prospects coming into the season.

Attendance has always fluctuated a bit. Average attendance for first four home games of 2001-2002 season was even lower than this year (about 18,700).

Forest/Trees -

The waning interest in sports in general has more to it than HD TV's and ticket prices. I believe it to be more about the general public becoming tired of and more aware of the rampant hypocrisy running amok in our society. And it goes way beyond sports as we are seeing in the headlines.

I've been saying for years that NCAA sports, at the major level, have evolved over many years into a complete sham. A complete hypocrisy. And as of late there is the undefendable ruling on UNC, the tournament seeding, the officiating, U of L, and it goes on and on.

I believe the populace is rapidly tiring of being led by the nose by marketer's, politicians, other various leaders, who have gone too far to the point they are insulting those they count on for their success. The NFL, for example, is being taken down by fools that have no basis or footing in reality.

I also believe this growing awareness and frustration with over marketed jocks, as well as other prominent figures, is a good thing.

All Calipari does is willfuly and forcefully expose college basketball hypocrisy to his and our benefit and, in the end, it will lead to changes that are, eventually, inevitable.

The public, in general, is aware of and tiring of the hypocrisy in our society and that in the end will be a good thing.

old poopy wins the internet for the day !

For us it was cost. I went to nearly every game for 10+ years to 10-12 games to nothing this year. I still go to NFL games because they haven't priced me out yet. I do enjoy the tailgating because the Bengals suck again!

It's really this simple:

* Cost of tickets - $60-$100+ for 2 depending on location and opponent.
* Maybe sitting with someone's knees in your back, or just jammed in altogether.
* Cost to park - $15-$20
* Traffic in and out.
* Cost of concessions
* Time invested in getting there and back. For me, it's 9-10 hours, but will obviously vary.
* Cost of hotel (for me)
* Getting out in the cold, and maybe later on in the year running into bad weather.

versus:

* 55+" HDTV and all games televised.
* Watching the game in HD from my recliner with my feet up and my shoes off.
* My concession stand has my favorite food and drinks, and is just steps away with no line.
* My bathroom is steps away with no line.
* Can flip over to other games during timeouts and halftime.
* When the game is over I can watch whatever or simply go to bed instead of walking out into the cold and navigating traffic.

As people get older (like me), this is a great alternative. I used to go to several games a year, but haven't been since every game started being televised, even though the product on the floor is as good as it's ever been.

Don't forget when at home you don't have to listen to the idiot behind you talking as loud as he can about how the coach should do this or that so he can let everyone know he is a basketball guru! STFU, cheer and let the people around you enjoy the damn game!!!

I think Friday night games/Sunday afternoon games, have a significant impact. I live 3 hours away, have season football tickets and use that as an excuse to come down and see my daughter. But a 7:00 pm game on a Friday requires leaving work early, picking my youngest up from school, driving like a bat out of hell to fight for a parking spot at the Hyatt, and drop $500 for 4 tickets and a hotel to have large marge crowding me just to watch them play a low quality opponent because the team needs to develop. Not as appealing as it used to be.

This is a trend that every single sport, college, pro, you name it is having. Younger people just don't go out as mu ch and even if they are huge fans, rather sit at home in front of a HD TV with friends and be able to tweet, post and comment while watching. As, order food, beer, and not wait on line to use the bathroom.

Plus, You can barely get a signal in Rupp and that is something they have to fix! It is just a fact of trends with fans. You will see key games be just as sold out, but random games not so much. I think fixing the wifi would help and making the lottery for students easier (who waits in line these days, no one under 50!).

Plus, I would say that this class doesn't have the "WOW" players as some years, which doesn't help draw the marginal fan. Player turnover doesn't make sense, if they were losing, now that would matter...due to turnover...
Excruciating!

For us it was cost. I went to nearly every game for 10+ years to 10-12 games to nothing this year. I still go to NFL games because they haven't priced me out yet. I do enjoy the tailgating because the Bengals suck again!
Agree it is cost for me.Just saw a clip where Vic Bubas was talking about it being wrong outlawing the dunk.He said that since they are asking people to pay up to four dollars a ticket the games should be entertaining.lol

I dont think roster turnover has ANYTHING to do with it. I think its financial, plain and simple.
Roster turnover is not everything to do with it but it is a part of a bigger problematic picture with college basketball. Between the financial costs and yearly roster turnover, the average fan is no longer attached at the hip to their college basketball teams. The diehard fans are attached still, but not as tightly as they once were. The unfair NCAA enforcement of rules, high ticket costs, roster turnover, the NBA using college basketball as a farm team, and the appearance that referees are working for Vegas--have begun to erode the love many of us once had for college basketball. I don't believe I am the only fan who feels this way.

I think roster turnover absolutely is a factor.

I used to get really bummed when we lost in the tourney - like I'd be off for a few days.

Now, its like meh, we'll have 5 more kids who I couldn't pick out of a lineup on the floor next year. Rinse, repeat. I'm not nearly as emotionally invested as I used to be.

If Maye hits that shot 10 years ago, I'd be throwing shit around followed by a few hours of depression. When he hit the shot against us in March of this year, I barely reacted.

It's a lot of reasons, many that have been said on this thread.

The cost of the tickets if No. 1. When Cal got here and we started winning big, they jacked the prices up too much (while the home non-conference schedule went way down). It is not worth $50 a ticket to sit in the upper deck for Utah Valley ($47) or Harvard ($57). It's $77 for upper deck for Virginia Tech and $122 for Louisville (which I understand, but is still crazy). A lot of SEC games are $77 for uppers. As mentioned, HDTV sounds a lot better than at least $100, plus parking and food, etc.

I don't believe is has anything to do with the one and done. However, there is still 2015 hangover. I know I have it. The best team we may ever see here again (after people actually came back for a second year) and they go undefeated until it matters the most. Then a bad shot clock call and a Sam Dekker 3-point kills us. It all changes if we win that Final Four. No second guessing Cal in recruiting, no worrying about one-and-done. We would have had the only 40-0 team ever in college basketball history. But instead we don't win, we get screwed in the UNC game last year and are worse this year.

In conjunction with that, the fan base is also spoiled. We've won so many games, it gets old playing Vermont or ETSU. You know we are going to win. I have found myself not paying attention to games on TV as much and I use to act like every game was the most important thing in the world.

Reactions: ZaytovenCat
The players aren't paying the tab. People like me are.
When the the players are paying tabs, they can listen to whatever they want.
What about this don't you understand?
BTW, the Eagles are one of the greatest bands ever.
Eagles are trash and so is that other crap you listed. Go on somewhere.

The cost of the tickets if No. 1. When Cal got here and we started winning big, they jacked the prices up too much (while the home non-conference schedule went way down). It is not worth $50 a ticket to sit in the upper deck for Utah Valley ($47) or Harvard ($57). It's $77 for upper deck for Virginia Tech and $122 for Louisville (which I understand, but is still crazy). A lot of SEC games are $77 for uppers. As mentioned, HDTV sounds a lot better than at least $100, plus parking and food, etc.

I don't believe is has anything to do with the one and done. However, there is still 2015 hangover. I know I have it. The best team we may ever see here again (after people actually came back for a second year) and they go undefeated until it matters the most. Then a bad shot clock call and a Sam Dekker 3-point kills us. It all changes if we win that Final Four. No second guessing Cal in recruiting, no worrying about one-and-done. We would have had the only 40-0 team ever in college basketball history. But instead we don't win, we get screwed in the UNC game last year and are worse this year.

In conjunction with that, the fan base is also spoiled. We've won so many games, it gets old playing Vermont or ETSU. You know we are going to win. I have found myself not paying attention to games on TV as much and I use to act like every game was the most important thing in the world.
This is the biggest thing for me. UK basketball hasn’t been the same since the Wisconsin loss. I used to plan my days and weeks around our schedule and now I don’t even know for sure when we play. I just check the schedule on days we normally play. The games this year I haven’t really cared about watching. In fact I’ve fell asleep during 2 games and watched other stuff during another.

This is the biggest thing for me. UK basketball hasn’t been the same since the Wisconsin loss. I used to plan my days and weeks around our schedule and now I don’t even know for sure when we play. I just check the schedule on days we normally play. The games this year I haven’t really cared about watching. In fact I’ve fell asleep during 2 games and watched other stuff during another.

Now if you would quit posting, we might believe you.

Reactions: CrustyCat
I'm not buying the roster turn over. The one and done has been going on a while. From what I can tell most of the empty seats are in the Student sections. UK has changed the way they sell tickets to students. Maybe that has something to do with it. Also the students haven't exactly been into the games the past few years anyway.

Interesting article discussing college basketball attendance being down nearly everywhere

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...ollege-basketball-attendance-down-nationwide/

2016-17 Rank School 2016-17 Average 2017-18 Average Difference
Kentucky 23,461 20,497 Down 13%
2 Syracuse 21,181 18,853 Down 11%
3 Louisville 20,846 18,354 Down 12%
4 North Carolina 18,067 15,025 Down 17%
5 Creighton 17,412 15,984 Down 8%
6 Wisconsin 17,286 17,287 No change
7 Maryland 16,628 14,426 Down 13%
8 Kansas 16,395 16,300 No change
9 Indiana 16,363 15,027 Down 8%
10 North Carolina St. 15,906 13,569 Down 15%

I have had lower level season tickets for a few years, and there are times I find myself wishing I were home watching it on my big screen, hi-def tv, drinking cold beer in front of my fire place. There's no way in hell I would sit up in the backless, hard ass bleachers. And to pay a bunch of money to sit in the bleachers? Not a chance in hell.

Fans are changing. The days when teams would sell out by just scheduling the Sisters of the Poor just does not fly in today's ADHD fandom. You couldn't pay me enough to go see UNC play Western Carolina.

sports as a whole has fallen in attendance. You could probably say entertainment you have to get out of the house for has declined in attendance ..

Maybe home entertainment on the rise has some to do with it......... Cable/Satellite prices are high as hell....... and not everyone knows about other great services like Playstation Vue for far cheaper..... And smart phones cost a sh*t load and keep people occupied...

There is proof places like Russia bought adds on facebook etc.... maybe subliminal messaging???? Sh*t like that really happens....... so we cant rule anything like that out.

For me...... it was UNC being given the title..... then getting off the hook for cheating and then finding out they had the rules changed over a year ago that allowed them to get off the hook. Since my injury in 2012 , I've had time to watch every decent game on tv and watch espn and I did........ I watched our games 2-3 times before the next UK game.......... now its down to watching it live only... and I've only seen 4 games that werent UK games. I wouldnt play monopoly with an effing cheater controlling the bank so I cant put my heart in UK when cheaters run the sport.

A good friend of mine who has had bleacher seats for probably 15 years or more told me last week that he probably wont renew them next year. His reasons?

* HDTV with all games televised and the convenience of watching from home.
* Travel time of 10 hours round trip
* Travel expenses
* Non-conference schedule that is pretty lacking for the most part.

Attendance is down everywhere in all sports. I was watching the MWC football championship between Boise and Fresno a couple of weeks ago, and the upper level of Albertson's Stadium had huge chunks of empty seats. I was really surprised to see that at Boise with a big game like that.

If you believe this, why do watch the game and waste your time. I am not trying to pick an argument. I know if I believed this way I wouldn't waste my time
His sentiments are the very reason that I hardly watch basketball. I haven't caught a whole UK game yet. When the officiating is so pitiful it looks like the "fix is on" then what's to get excited about? That and the UNC situation.

I can only speak for myself but I had much rather sit at home and watch on my 60’ HD Smart TV while relaxing in my recliner. I have access to nearly every game with great lower arena seats if I want to attend, but I choose to stay at home. My brother has several season tickets. I used to go with him a lot but these days I only go to 1 or 2 games a year.
We live in Eastern Kentucky and by the time he gets back home from the games I’ve been in bed asleep for an hour.

Home TV is more convenient and simpler, as well as more enjoyable than working one’s way through traffic and crowds.

Reactions: JDHoss
"Some other areas are spotty. Clearly a drop off in expectations this year. Turnover in roster has nothing to do with it."

The drop off in expectations is clearly a result of the roster turnover. Numerous fans don't like the annual turnover but can deal with it when the new group seems likely to be in the hunt.

The lack of confidence in this year's chance to even sniff the final four has been apparent on at least this site from day 1.

The players aren't paying the tab. People like me are.
When the the players are paying tabs, they can listen to whatever they want.
What about this don't you understand?
BTW, the Eagles are one of the greatest bands ever.

Just don't play Hotel California

Interesting article discussing college basketball attendance being down nearly everywhere

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...ollege-basketball-attendance-down-nationwide/

2016-17 Rank School 2016-17 Average 2017-18 Average Difference
Kentucky 23,461 20,497 Down 13%
2 Syracuse 21,181 18,853 Down 11%
3 Louisville 20,846 18,354 Down 12%
4 North Carolina 18,067 15,025 Down 17%
5 Creighton 17,412 15,984 Down 8%
6 Wisconsin 17,286 17,287 No change
7 Maryland 16,628 14,426 Down 13%
8 Kansas 16,395 16,300 No change
9 Indiana 16,363 15,027 Down 8%
10 North Carolina St. 15,906 13,569 Down 15%

For the 2016-2017 season numbers, are those the averages for the whole season or the averages for just the similar number of games at the beginning of last year?

If those are the averages for the total season, then this analysis doesn't tell us much at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT