ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro commits to UK

Already recruiting over cal jr. That kid has Wisconsin or puke written all over him. That said, my opinion is subject to change per commitment to ky

IF you can’t understand why Kentucky needs some guys like this then there’s nothing to say. You’re ate up in our system from 2011 and haven’t realized we have to build more traditional rosters now with some guys like this to hang around and have a major impact. Cal is not landing enough of the top crop to recycle rosters with 2nd rounders and Briscoe’s as sophomores. Get over it and accept it. You can’t win with only athletic and lanky players. And some still don’t comprehend just how much the three point shot has changed this game. All aspects are important, but the three ball is another animal.

I think Cal is modifying his recruiting and that’s a sign of a great one. You put 2/3 OAD’s around these types of guys and that’s how you win championships.

IF you can’t understand why Kentucky needs some guys like this then there’s nothing to say. You’re ate up in our system from 2011 and haven’t realized we have to build more traditional rosters now with some guys like this to hang around and have a major impact. Cal is not landing enough of the top crop to recycle rosters with 2nd rounders and Briscoe’s as sophomores. Get over it and accept it. You can’t win with only athletic and lanky players. And some still don’t comprehend just how much the three point shot has changed this game. All aspects are important, but the three ball is another animal.

I think Cal is modifying his recruiting and that’s a sign of a great one. You put 2/3 OAD’s around these types of guys and that’s how you win championships.

I'd also take 2/3 of these guys around 6-7 OAD's and take my chances there too.

I'd also take 2/3 of these guys around 6-7 OAD's and take my chances there too.

Absolutely. But if we must give a guy like Briscoe 28+ minutes a game because he needs to work on his status I don’t think we can achieve it. And I don’t see Coach Cal benching a borderline second rounder for long periods that he knows committed to work on his stock and exit. Cal doesn’t guarantee playing time for anyone, but if you’re a hard working aspiring pro and higher tier target, you will get those minutes over others. I think that’s just a fact. At least until the season progresses and it’s forcing his hand.

If we recruit 4-7 blue chip 1st and 2nd rounders yearly it makes it tough to pull the college oriented players that programs have won many championships on the backs of. I’d cut that number down a bit and start evaluating needs. Duke has proven at least one aspect of the OAD that most here thought wasn’t true. It is possible to mix it up, landing both top 5 players and junior/senior returning talent. Cal is paying a price for his staunch position in his early UK days. Negative recruiting is easy against UK in certain situations. I think Cal knew that, I just think he thought it was worth the angle because he was the guaranteed pick for many top 5 guys. Today he’s not, those guys are going all over the place. You can’t bank on transcendent talent anymore, we need a little more of the other side of the coin.

I’d like to see more balance. But it’s happening, Cal wouldn’t have recruited Herro in 2011.

Chris Fisher has put in a crystal ball pick to UK. I know I know, crystal ball is what it is, but I like Chris Fisher

Reactions: parrott
I'm just saying the average official 40 for the two fastest positions in the NFL (WR, CB) is 4.55. Those guys are some of the best athletes in the world. True 4.4 speed is just extraordinarily rare and hand timed 40s are extremely unreliable measures. Hand timed 40s are the reason why every other high school kid thinks he runs a sub 4.7. It's just not reality though. And yes I am slow, never ran a timed 40 but I'd guess I'd probably run about a 5.5
This post nails it. The reason the other posters here and HS kids everywhere think they run a 4.4 is because of hand timing vs laser times. You could run a 4.8 time and have two different ppl hand time it and one would get 4.49 and the other get 4.92. It just isn't accurate

Last edited:
He's not better than TJ Leaf of Kyle Guy last year, but I think if we miss on Grimes he could be a nice get. Adding him to Baker and likely Quade/SGA plus Quickley and Keldon Johnson would give us a ton of outside threats.

I don't think we get K Johnson. I think it's Grimes and looks like Cal wants Herro too

Reactions: true blue1
After watching Herro's videos, I must say I'm amused by the notions some here have that this guy is some sort of spot up only shooter. This guy can handle, pass and even take his man off he dribble. This fella isn't a stiff. He can create his own shot and take it to the hole. And you can bet that if he can move his feet that well on the offensive end of the court, he can do likewise when defending.

I will be extremely happy to welcome this young man into the BBN. He will fit into the dribble drive offense just fine. Just because he's white doesn't mean he has no skills. This kid can ball. Watch this video. Really analyze it. Does this kid really look like someone that's a spot up shooter only?

I'm failing to see a problem here.

Herro can get to his spot, likes to put out that right chicken wing. Nice cross over,get change of speed. Borderline explosive first step. He isn't a Jeff Shepherd, yet.

Don't we already have to many shooters? The video is obviously a highlight video but looks good to me. Sign him up.

After watching Herro's videos, I must say I'm amused by the notions some here have that this guy is some sort of spot up only shooter. This guy can handle, pass and even take his man off he dribble. This fella isn't a stiff. He can create his own shot and take it to the hole. And you can bet that if he can move his feet that well on the offensive end of the court, he can do likewise when defending.

I will be extremely happy to welcome this young man into the BBN. He will fit into the dribble drive offense just fine. Just because he's white doesn't mean he has no skills. This kid can ball. Watch this video. Really analyze it. Does this kid really look like someone that's a spot up shooter only?

I'm failing to see a problem here.

First, consider the competition. What kind of high level D1 talent is Wisconsin producing every year?

Besides, the video shows me a kid who puts in on the floor but doesn't go anywhere with it. It's a lot of side-to-side stuff before taking a contested jumper. He's not blowing by folks to the rim.

We've seen even guys who did get to the rim consistently in high school against elite competition have trouble with it at this level (Aaron Harrison, Doron Lamb). No one thinks he's a stiff, but even the video you're analyzing shows that he doesn't really have the elite burst or handle it takes to beat your man.

The good news is that his midrange game is very good, he's a strong kid with a big frame, and he uses angles to get where he wants to go and makes shots when he gets there. That's fine. Buddy Hield destroyed guys that way. But no one is making assumptions based on him being white. It's evaluation based on what we see.

First, consider the competition. What kind of high level D1 talent is Wisconsin producing every year?

Besides, the video shows me a kid who puts in on the floor but doesn't go anywhere with it. It's a lot of side-to-side stuff before taking a contested jumper. He's not blowing by folks to the rim.

We've seen even guys who did get to the rim consistently in high school against elite competition have trouble with it at this level (Aaron Harrison, Doron Lamb). No one thinks he's a stiff, but even the video you're analyzing shows that he doesn't really have the elite burst or handle it takes to beat your man.

The good news is that his midrange game is very good, he's a strong kid with a big frame, and he uses angles to get where he wants to go and makes shots when he gets there. That's fine. Buddy Hield destroyed guys that way. But no one is making assumptions based on him being white. It's evaluation based on what we see.

This kid tore up the competition at the USA mini camp that took place a couple weeks ago. Was one of the dominant performers against the best of the best. That's when we heard he was opening it up and UK was interested shortly after. I seen th videos somewhere on here where he was torching the nets and doing what he wanted against some other 5 star guards.

I watched several videos on Herro last night, played with Quickly at several different camps, seems to work well off each other. Appears to have a shorter Devin Booker feel to his game. Plus it would be nice to take one the highest rated kids Wisconsin has had to our side.

The plot thickens. TBH it's crazy we offer guys like this and hold offers from top athletes to get "what we want" for example there's more bigs in this class besides Bol Bol, I'd take a Moses Brown

I agree RR. If Bol is Oregon bound as everything indicates why not go after either Brown (Moses or Jordan). UK needs a big man for the middle. Even if Richards returns, he doesn't seem like the answer.........too foul prone & has very little offensive game. I like shooters as much as anyone, but if you have no one to rebound what good is a shooter

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I agree RR. If Bol is Oregon bound as everything indicates why not go after either Brown (Moses or Jordan). UK needs a big man for the middle. Even if Richards returns, he doesn't seem like the answer.........too foul prone & has very little offensive game. I like shooters as much as anyone, but if you have no one to rebound what good is a shooter

[laughing] Already out on Richards before Thanksgiving?

Maybe it's just me but I think throwing in the towel on a freshman after seeing him play in two exhibition games might be a little premature.

This kid tore up the competition at the USA mini camp that took place a couple weeks ago. Was one of the dominant performers against the best of the best. That's when we heard he was opening it up and UK was interested shortly after. I seen th videos somewhere on here where he was torching the nets and doing what he wanted against some other 5 star guards.

Right. He's a really good player and I hope he's a Cat. I'm just saying he's not going to take people off the dribble and get to the rim. I was making the point that we aren't characterizing his game based on skin color, we're discussing what we actually see.

He's a good player and a good scorer, but it doesn't mean he can play that particular way and be effective. It's not his game any more than John Wall taking spot-up 3 pointers from the corner is his game.

He is more athletic, but if the kid can turn out to be a Ryan Arcidiacono type player i will be very excited. If you do not know who he is, he is the kid from Villanova and was very much a big reason they cut the nets down. Josh Hart got a lot of the pub, but this kid was steady and a deadly assassin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT