ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro commits to UK

He looks pretty good to me, he has good size, a nice shot and pretty decent athleticism.

I would say he could get major minutes at any school he chooses to go to.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Mark Miller, the editor for a Wisconsin magazine (similar to a young Oscar Combs, I guess) just put in a Crystal Ball pick for Herro to UK.

Reactions: Cardsstink
We lost our last game last year and likely title because of a not particularly athletic guy who could shoot the 3. I would have added he might not have played much in a UK uniform but DW finally got some run and Cal even set up what might have been a winning basket but DW missed it. Someone suggested you can't have enough shooters. They could be on to something.

We lost our last game last year and likely title because of a not particularly athletic guy who could shoot the 3. I would have added he might not have played much in a UK uniform but DW finally got some run and Cal even set up what might have been a winning basket but DW missed it. Someone suggested you can't have enough shooters. They could be on to something.

We lost our last game last year because that same Derek Willis didn't guard his effing man in transition.

Same with the perfect season. Sharpshooting Devin Booker got absolutely abused all night.

I hope every guy we sign is a great shooter, but only if they're also great on the other end of the court.

We lost our last game last year because that same Derek Willis didn't guard his effing man in transition.

Same with the perfect season. Sharpshooting Devin Booker got absolutely abused all night.

I hope every guy we sign is a great shooter, but only if they're also great on the other end of the court.
We lost both games because of a pos ref. Wiscy was awful but that unc game was biggest rob job ive ever seen. When a dookie is insinuating the fix is in then it is bad

We lost that game because some scrub hit a shot while our senior Willis didn’t hit.

That said, every roster needs balance and I’d love to add Herro.

We lost both games because of a pos ref. Wiscy was awful but that unc game was biggest rob job ive ever seen. When a dookie is insinuating the fix is in then it is bad

Right, but we can't control that. If Willis plays defense, we still get out of there with the win. Cal can't recruit guys who are immune to officiating, so we have to do what we can.

Reactions: Dablueman
giphy.gif

Kid dunks easily. 6"5 I dont know if his handle gonna let him be a playmaker but hes got great size and high quick release.

Reactions: Chase4UK
Kid dunks easily. 6"5 I dont know if his handle gonna let him be a playmaker but hes got great size and high quick release.

Agreed. Saw him against Bol Bol's squad in the EYBL this year and while he was willing to pass, he threw too many of them one-handed and couldn't really create off the bounce. His handle was okay but he didn't go anywhere with it, mostly dribbled until he took a contested jumper.

I was mostly watching for Bol, because I had no reason to be interested in Herro at the time obviously, but I remember him taking a ton of shots for such a low scoring game. That's the case with most kids of his caliber in AAU, but he seemed to struggle with Doutrive on him.

Granted, here, he wouldn't draw the opposing team's best perimeter defender. As a catch and shoot guy he could be a killer.

Don't know how well he'll defend because I just saw him that one time and he was overmatched physically and trying to do it all on the other end of the court. He's a solid leaper but wasn't very quick. Strong kid though, so that might help.

I wish I had known to watch him more and pay closer attention.

Reactions: calamitybone
Interesting player. He appears to be smart, willing and good passer. Notice in his vid that he can throw pin point darts with the off hand. The form on his shot is picture perfect. He demonstrates a high but quick release on his jumper much like Monk does. Decent athleticism with good height and a good frame to put on muscle. Luke's like a Duke type of player more than a Cal type. Me personally I like these kind of guards. He reminds me a little of Kennard. Don't think he will start at Uk in first year. Don't think he starts at KU or Duke either. Could see him start at UNC though. Surprised he dropped whisky seeing he's a cheese head.

Interesting player. He appears to be smart, willing and good passer. Notice in his vid that he can throw pin point darts with the off hand. The form on his shot is picture perfect. He demonstrates a high but quick release on his jumper much like Monk does. Decent athleticism with good height and a good frame to put on muscle. Luke's like a Duke type of player more than a Cal type. Me personally I like these kind of guards. He reminds me a little of Kennard. Don't think he will start at Uk in first year. Don't think he starts at KU or Duke either. Could see him start at UNC though. Surprised he dropped whisky seeing he's a cheese head.

If Kennard were as physically strong or if Herro had Kennard's handle and craftiness with the ball, they'd both be very good players. They're white and around the same height and can shoot it, but they don't play much alike.

I don't think Herro is as good as Kennard, but I'm comparing what I saw from Kennard in college, so I wouldn't expect him to be.

One thing I did really like about Herro is he seemed to have some attitude to him. A little confidence and swagger. Combined with his build, that's something that gives him a lot of promise.

Obviously I think we take Grimes if we can, but he'd be a great way to spend a scholarship. Don't think you'll ever be upset you have a top 30 kid with confidence and a good frame, and if he's willing to decommit, look around, and ultimately choose Kentucky, I don't think not playing big minutes immediately will be an issue. He knows what he's walking into.

Reactions: madison1329
If Kennard were as physically strong or if Herro had Kennard's handle and craftiness with the ball, they'd both be very good players. They're white and around the same height and can shoot it, but they don't play much alike.

I don't think Herro is as good as Kennard, but I'm comparing what I saw from Kennard in college, so I wouldn't expect him to be.

One thing I did really like about Herro is he seemed to have some attitude to him. A little confidence and swagger. Combined with his build, that's something that gives him a lot of promise.

Obviously I think we take Grimes if we can, but he'd be a great way to spend a scholarship. Don't think you'll ever be upset you have a top 30 kid with confidence and a good frame, and if he's willing to decommit, look around, and ultimately choose Kentucky, I don't think not playing big minutes immediately will be an issue. He knows what he's walking into.

You would know more about the comparison between Kennard and Herro because you have seen Herro n person and I haven't. I based everything I saw on Herros vids. They both have beautiful form and releases on their shots. is Herro quicker than Kennard? If he isnI think he could be a better defender than Kennard was n college. In my mind that would make them pretty much a wash If comparing all attributes. What do you think?

You would know more about the comparison between Kennard and Herro because you have seen Herro n person and I haven't. I based everything I saw on Herros vids. They both have beautiful form and releases on their shots. is Herro quicker than Kennard? If he isnI think he could be a better defender than Kennard was n college. In my mind that would make them pretty much a wash If comparing all attributes. What do you think?

I don't think he's as quick, but again, the game I saw him, he was against guys like Brandon Williams, Spencer Freedman and Devonaire Doutrive that had Shareef ONeal and Bol Bol behind them so comparitively speaking he looked slower.

I dont think he'll get physically bullied, which I think was the problem with guys like Wiltjer even more than just not being quick, and we also won't have him guarding or being guarded by the other team's best player.

Plus it's entirely possible that it just wasn't his best game and I wasn't watching him super close. This was back in April so I had no idea he might be a Cat someday.

I just don't get the lack of white athletic basketball players. I mean, I ran a 4.47 40, 38" vert and but I was only 5'11 and wasn't that good of a shooter. Many of the people I grew up with could jump, run and cut. Yet it appears that Chandler Parsons and long ago Rex Chapman are the most athletic white guys?

I mean Carson Wentz, Drew Brees and Aaron Rogers are all good athletes and Travis Kelce is a big man with quickness and speed but these a few and far between.

He will see the floor

If Wiltjer saw the floor, this guy certainly would. This guy is anything but a stiff fellas. Much higher IQ than Willis. Much better shooter with better size than Hawkins. Much better skill set than Mulder. Young man is top twenty five and is the kind of guy that torches us every year. Won't stop Johnson from coming. I think he is the backup to Grimes who seems to be a KU lean. I will be surprised if we don't sign him.

only way Herro ends up at UK is if he literally waits til the end of spring bucks all other suitors and UK has an extra spot for him. UK staff is not really interested in him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT