ADVERTISEMENT

This fan base is not divided

I didnt say that I know we have a tight knit group. I just want some reason to get worked up like some of you guys do when anything negative happens, small things, rumors, Cals beard, Saar looking upset with his fourth foul (hoping he was mad at Cal). It has not been a good season and it brings out, what Rupp called, the turds.
Ok first off, you and I are having the discussion so I’d appreciate if we left the red herrings and putting words in my mouth out Of the discussion.

Fletcher leaving the team isn’t a small thing. And it isn’t a rumor. It’s confirmed homie. Second of all its much more than a rumor when people on KSR and others on Twitter (who are connected to the program) are reporting that other players are upset and saw Cal and Clarke bickering.

id actually be inclined to agree that the Clarke business is just rumors but when others on Twitter are reporting that there are other Players besides Fletcher Not happy with Cal, and considering the prior info of Cal and Clarke jawing... is it really that much of a stretch to you to connect those dots?

never mentioned Cals beard- red herring

never mentioned Sarr- red herring

Ok first off, you and I are having the discussion so I’d appreciate if we left the red herrings and putting words in my mouth out Of the discussion.

Fletcher leaving the team isn’t a small thing. And it isn’t a rumor. It’s confirmed homie. Second of all its much more than a rumor when people on KSR and others on Twitter (who are connected to the program) are reporting that other players are upset and saw Cal and Clarke bickering.

id actually be inclined to agree that the Clarke business is just rumors but when others on Twitter are reporting that there are other Players besides Fletcher Not happy with Cal, and considering the prior info of Cal and Clarke jawing... is it really that much of a stretch to you to connect those dots?

never mentioned Sarr- red herring
From what a insider told me. Don’t be surprised if Clarke bails.

never mentioned

I was responding to you and I included the comments of others that are in your camp.
I could connect the dots if ,the others on Twitter , as you mentioned would simply tell who the players are and what was said. If they saw and heard what they sent out, why not share all of it? Until that time, any dot connecting would go in the direction of what I wanted to be true, just like you did.

Anyone who truly wants Cal gone is an idiot who is getting caught up in the emotion of a bad season.

I simply cannot believe there are UK fans who really believe that UK basketball would be better off without Cal here. Mind boggling to me.
Its mind boggling how you think its a good idea to have a coach the NCAA and officials hate and do everything they can to knock him out of the tournament. you like wasting years for nothing? sucking ass for 2-3 months is not worth getting a higgins or sirmons or any acc ref and get hosed out in the NCAAT.

Also cal said monday he's not changing. you cant fix anything if you dont admit there is a problem.

For 11 years I would have agreed with you that there are more silent fans that are happy. Having said that, with as bad as 2020 has been I think more people have turned to their passion (UK) as an outlet only to see a 1-5 record and Cal only promising more of the same. Alot of fans were willing to embrace the OAD if it meant filling the trophy case and exciting basketball. That’s just not the case now. Cal hasn’t filled the trophy case and we aren’t winning as advertised. Can he fix it? Yes of course he can but the current trajectory I would say without a doubt has a expiration date by the fan base and the clock has started to count down slowly.
Sorry to tell ya, Cal said on the radio show he's not changing and will always have faith in the process.... so its not going to end well if he doesnt retire first. you cant fix something if you dont admit its broken.

Before Cal: 107 seasons, 1 title every 15.3 years, 1 final four every 8.3 years

With Cal: 1 title every 11 seasons, 1 Final Four every 2.75 seasons

Which is better???

only 70 years of titles before Cal.. so thats 1 title every 10 years and 1 final four around every 6 years. ... and Cal without Antigua is 1 final four and thats it.. without payne he's 1-5. yikes... maybe top assistants are needed to be elite.

Sorry to tell ya, Cal said on the radio show he's not changing and will always have faith in the process.... so its not going to end well if he doesnt retire first. you cant fix something if you dont admit its broken.

only 70 years of titles before Cal.. so thats 1 title every 10 years and 1 final four around every 6 years. ... and Cal without Antigua is 1 final four and thats it.. without payne he's 1-5. yikes... maybe top assistants are needed to be elite.

That’s what I said, he is saying more if the same.

I am in the camp--recently converted--that I don't care if he stays or goes/gets fired at the end of the season. Here is what gets me to feeling that way:

1. Cal is not providing any indication that he will change. With the Ryan Harrow situation, Cal swore he never would be held hostage again and that led somewhat to the 2015 team. Cal complained about that team regarding keeping players happy and too many players who needed to play. So he has gone back to his beloved short rotation which leads to lack of depth, lack of competition for minutes etc.
  2. He was a pioneer of the 1 and done. Everyone has caught on and the the super talents know they can go anywhere to get drafted. So a lot are choosing the easier path. Cal is not adjusting.
  3. Cal continues to play favorites and value athleticism over basketball ability.
  4. Cal is just borderline dishonest and is very condescending to the fan base. Last night on his show was the tipping point for me. The whole B/S of look we are over-reacting as we are not going hungry, we are not talking about not being able to make our rent payments etc. WTF does that have to do with his job? Fans can be very upset about UK basketball with one perspective and be concerned about humankind from another perspective. UK losing basketball games does not impact my empathy for others, does not impact my charity etc. What it does mean is that everything below starving to death does not automatically gets a free pass. He needs to knock it off with his pseudo intellectual bullshit. After all to use his thought process he is just a basketball coach.
  5. Regardless of when Cal leaves, with his current recruiting style of starting from scratch every year, what does that leave for the next coach coming in? This constant turnover is a very poor foundation for the Program.
I could go on and on but the post is already too long. If Cal would own it without coach speak and commit to changes I would 100% want him here. I get Cal does not "owe" that to the fans but neither do the fans "owe" unconditional support when they feel nothing is changing.

I don't know whether or not Cal is "condescending"? But UK fans are, by and large, VERY smart. And educated. What we really don't like seeing on the court is STUPID decision-making by our players. And you guys know what I am talking about: bad passes, not blocking out on FTs, moving screens, picking up dribbles 30 feet from the basket, etc. etc. etc. Some of this is coaching, but not all at the college level. This is junior high stuff! Our kids shouldn't have to be taught this by Cal. I'm sure that Cal is just as frustrated as we are!

Reactions: fisherscatfan
Losing Coach Antigua as an Assistant was a major blow for us and now losing KP that's the blade of straw that broke the camels back.

Last edited:
Reactions: kywildcat41086
I don't know whether or not Cal is "condescending"? But UK fans are, by and large, VERY smart. And educated. What we really don't like seeing on the court is STUPID decision-making by our players. And you guys know what I am talking about: bad passes, not blocking out on FTs, moving screens, picking up dribbles 30 feet from the basket, etc. etc. etc. Some of this is coaching, but not all at the college level. This is junior high stuff! Our kids shouldn't have to be taught this by Cal. I'm sure that Cal is just as frustrated as we are!
When Cal starts talking in that ridiculous voice with the facial distortion mimic people “complaining” UK usually plays a weak schedule, really he is just being a prick but tried to be a little nicer in the description.

I can handle a bad season. What I can’t handle is a bad season followed with starting from scratch next season.
the fact that Cal has been as successful as he has here with this model is remarkable. However, it’s a bad bet to expect it to be successful always. The margin of error is too thin.
2013 was one thing. The success of 2012 was so great and recent, fans and recruits could overlook a bad season.
What is happening now will adversely affect recruiting. Cal telling fans to keep the faith in a process that has no continuity of roster is a bit much.
I would love for Cal to adapt and stay at UK. However, I have very little confidence that he can. I am not even sure how I would go about advising him on HOW to adapt. Too drastic of a change, and he won’t seem credible to recruits. Too subtle of a change and you just get a less talented version of what we have seen over the past few years. If I could offer him one bit of advice it would be that the object of the game is to put the ball in the basket. So, you need shot makers. You can run plays to get good shooters open. A great athlete who can’t shoot is not someone you can have as a focal point of your offense, and if you have a roster full of them, you ain’t gonna be cutting down any nets. Recruit shooters/makers.

True. In reality, this group that has never played a game together just finished the exhibition part of getting ready for the season. Unfortunately, it counts and looks bad. I am looking at UP as a new start. Every team plays cupcakes so the win percentage is real compared to any other coach.k
Not completely accurate in that we are now at the end of December not early November

I am in the camp--recently converted--that I don't care if he stays or goes/gets fired at the end of the season. Here is what gets me to feeling that way:

1. Cal is not providing any indication that he will change. With the Ryan Harrow situation, Cal swore he never would be held hostage again and that led somewhat to the 2015 team. Cal complained about that team regarding keeping players happy and too many players who needed to play. So he has gone back to his beloved short rotation which leads to lack of depth, lack of competition for minutes etc.
  2. He was a pioneer of the 1 and done. Everyone has caught on and the the super talents know they can go anywhere to get drafted. So a lot are choosing the easier path. Cal is not adjusting.
  3. Cal continues to play favorites and value athleticism over basketball ability.
  4. Cal is just borderline dishonest and is very condescending to the fan base. Last night on his show was the tipping point for me. The whole B/S of look we are over-reacting as we are not going hungry, we are not talking about not being able to make our rent payments etc. WTF does that have to do with his job? Fans can be very upset about UK basketball with one perspective and be concerned about humankind from another perspective. UK losing basketball games does not impact my empathy for others, does not impact my charity etc. What it does mean is that everything below starving to death does not automatically gets a free pass. He needs to knock it off with his pseudo intellectual bullshit. After all to use his thought process he is just a basketball coach.
  5. Regardless of when Cal leaves, with his current recruiting style of starting from scratch every year, what does that leave for the next coach coming in? This constant turnover is a very poor foundation for the Program.
I could go on and on but the post is already too long. If Cal would own it without coach speak and commit to changes I would 100% want him here. I get Cal does not "owe" that to the fans but neither do the fans "owe" unconditional support when they feel nothing is changing.

Glad I stopped listening to him years ago. 4 would have pissed me off to the point of going off on a radio show.

It was always condescending from early on. Most just didn't see it up close. People didn't mind at first because he was better than what we had. Now they're seeing it.

I'm tired of the let them eat cake attitude from people who get paid from the sacrifices of people that get paid 10 to 200 times less than they do. No, it's not life or death, askhole, so why the fk are you sucking so bad at your cushy job? What an arrogant fkstain to say something about people starving!

He doesnt know fk about how people are really struggling in this or any other state. He'll do a marathon for Haiti and send other people's money there, but won't do sht for the people starving in the poorer parts of KY. He's a child in a man's body, and this recent bullsht is letting people see it.

I don't care about UK basketball anymore. Just don't give a sht, while he treats it like it's his sand box, and he's some kind of deity ruling over it and "those crazy fans." If the program is really bigger than him and about more than just his bs dribble drive, then he should take his foot off of the neck of our program and coach. You know, bring in players that just need coaching and win basketball games.

It isn't building a fkn time machine, or trying to find a cure for ALS, and it's not even coaching at the NBA level. You have the best facilites, rabid fan support, the greatest tradition in college basketball, and you play in the SEC.

Do your cakezass job, sir! Quit whining about how young your players are. Quit whining about fans. Quit whining about not having enough players.

All of that is ON YOU, as$hole! You could have 5-7 good players from KY on the bench giving you meaningful heart, leadership, effort, and talent every year, if you'd just fkn play your bench players some decent minutes! You know, COACHING, where you integrate individuals into a TEAM, instead of picking the best guys and ignoring in games the ones you need to even practice.

Been waiting for 4 years for him to change. If he does, great. But as of now he's too spoiled and stubborn, and dug in like a tick sucking the blood out of a neglected dog.

Tired of the politicians, especially the ones that are hired to coach my teams.

Not going to lie, it’s not exciting anymore. There’s no continuity and it’s gotten worse since 2016. Cal will field a solid product but we won’t be seeing him cut down the nets anymore.

I'm sure ppl will be excited to take the job when ppl ran a guy with a 80% win percentage out of town. Whats the odds the next guy makes it 3 years?

Can't wait to see a bunch of brad calipari level players running around out there, but hopefully the next guy gets him a 5 star, but doesn't do too much with him so he stays a few years...so good, but don't get too good on us. And he can be one of the 1-3 high profile recruits that stays more than 2 years. That will have the fanbase joyous

Such a ridiculous post. Yea, competitive division 1 and professional coaches who’s sole job is to love challenges and competition is going to run from the top job in their profession because the guy before him underperformed and went to 2 NIT’s in 9 years. On top of that, he lost half of the top games on his schedule or more in 5 years. On top of that, his system was a one off that nobody likes and nobody else does. And at a chump change pay of 10 million per year. Lol.

Goodness, you’d think Cal was winning big at UK.

And spare us the strawman “what would we be without raw AAU OAD’s every year” speech. The teams that are winning aren’t recruiting like we do. Time for some of you to wake up from that 2010 nap.

this 80% win percentage that keeps getting repeated is way overblown. Cals schedule is typically filled with around 8 cupcake gimme wins/year that a random drawing lucky fan of the game could coach to victory. Don’t have those this year and here we are.
Every team has those. Try again

Such a ridiculous post. Yea, competitive division 1 and professional coaches who’s sole job is to love challenges and competition is going to run from the top job in their profession because the guy before him underperformed and went to 2 NIT’s in 9 years. On top of that, he lost half of the top games on his schedule or more in 5 years. On top of that, his system was a one off that nobody likes and nobody else does. And at a chump change pay of 10 million per year. Lol.

Goodness, you’d think Cal was winning big at UK.

And spare us the strawman “what would we be without raw AAU OAD’s every year” speech. The teams that are winning aren’t recruiting like we do. Time for some of you to wake up from that 2010 nap.
Underperformed? He's the winningest coach in america.
Yes every coach runs from UK. Because of people like you. If cal hadnt wanted to come to Lexington we would be indiana at this point. We were practically begging someone to come. If they get rid of cal uk will fail for the next 10 years. I hope they do

Yes every coach runs from UK. Because of people like you. If cal hadnt wanted to come to Lexington we would be indiana at this point. We were practically begging someone to come. If they get rid of cal uk will fail for the next 10 years. I hope they do

Some of you are just emotionally attached to Cal and say the most ridiculous things. None of that is even close to true. It’s totally absurd.

You need to get a grip on the man crush. He is not the winningest coach in America and hasn’t been for a good while.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
What kind of a fan wants their team to fail just because of a Coach leaving. Sounds like you are more dedicated to Cal then you are UK.

Yes, we are a divided fan base. Some are drunk and some are sober. That line is beginning to look blurry to me right now. Merry Christmas and cheers!

Glad I stopped listening to him years ago. 4 would have pissed me off to the point of going off on a radio show.

It was always condescending from early on. Most just didn't see it up close. People didn't mind at first because he was better than what we had. Now they're seeing it.

I'm tired of the let them eat cake attitude from people who get paid from the sacrifices of people that get paid 10 to 200 times less than they do. No, it's not life or death, askhole, so why the fk are you sucking so bad at your cushy job? What an arrogant fkstain to say something about people starving!

He doesnt know fk about how people are really struggling in this or any other state. He'll do a marathon for Haiti and send other people's money there, but won't do sht for the people starving in the poorer parts of KY. He's a child in a man's body, and this recent bullsht is letting people see it.

I don't care about UK basketball anymore. Just don't give a sht, while he treats it like it's his sand box, and he's some kind of deity ruling over it and "those crazy fans." If the program is really bigger than him and about more than just his bs dribble drive, then he should take his foot off of the neck of our program and coach. You know, bring in players that just need coaching and win basketball games.

It isn't building a fkn time machine, or trying to find a cure for ALS, and it's not even coaching at the NBA level. You have the best facilites, rabid fan support, the greatest tradition in college basketball, and you play in the SEC.

Do your cakezass job, sir! Quit whining about how young your players are. Quit whining about fans. Quit whining about not having enough players.

All of that is ON YOU, as$hole! You could have 5-7 good players from KY on the bench giving you meaningful heart, leadership, effort, and talent every year, if you'd just fkn play your bench players some decent minutes! You know, COACHING, where you integrate individuals into a TEAM, instead of picking the best guys and ignoring in games the ones you need to even practice.

Been waiting for 4 years for him to change. If he does, great. But as of now he's too spoiled and stubborn, and dug in like a tick sucking the blood out of a neglected dog.

Tired of the politicians, especially the ones that are hired to coach my teams.
Not sure I could have said it better. 👍👍

A bit simplistic.

Cal's issue is bigger than player retention. How many actual shooters does this current team have? One (Mintz).

There's your biggest issue.
False. We have enough shooting once guys calm down and hit their spots. This teams biggest problem (by a longshot) is a major lack of ball handling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT