ADVERTISEMENT

This fan base is not divided

Anyone who truly wants Cal gone is an idiot who is getting caught up in the emotion of a bad season.

I simply cannot believe there are UK fans who really believe that UK basketball would be better off without Cal here. Mind boggling to me.
Arent you among the biggest of the idiots? You’re always in the game threads calling a loss 2 minutes into the game...and that was before this season.

this 80% win percentage that keeps getting repeated is way overblown. Cals schedule is typically filled with around 8 cupcake gimme wins/year that a random drawing lucky fan of the game could coach to victory. Don’t have those this year and here we are.
Reminds me of when people used to say Tubby won 20 games per year. Those same people didn’t like to mention his 10 plus losses per season.

this is the same thought process that stoops goes through with a minute twenty to go in the half with the ball on his own 40 and a slight lead before half. Don’t eff up, let’s just do what we do and not go for the gusto. I promise you UK can attract a basketball coach who will coach this like a collegiate program. We had players go pro before cal and will afterwards as well but that doesn’t mean it’s what our program should be built around. Cal had it at first. Build it and they will come and they did, but they ain’t coming anymore. Cals coaching method is for a team of Uber talented athletes mixed with just enough players with true basketball skills, That’s not what we get here any longer and yet cal still trying to do it his way. He either will not/cannot change his style of coaching to fit his personnel and what you get when that happens is 1-5.
We just disagree and that is fine. Cal saved this program from falling apart when he got here and I think he can turn this around. We are not playing together as a team and I think a lot of that is due to not having a capable point guard at this time and the fact that we, of all years, needed the preseason exhibition games. Cal missed on Askew, at least as it looks right now. I hope that will change but I am not optimistic about it.

Please explain the Clarke and Cal confrontation. It has only been referenced, without anything really given as proof. I seriously would like to know what was said or maybe someone has a video.
Check out KSR article referencing the breakdown of events at the end of the UNC game. Clarke asks, "Cam left" when he fouled out the game. I think it started from there.

Please explain the Clarke and Cal confrontation. It has only been referenced, without anything really given as proof. I seriously would like to know what was said or maybe someone has a video.
From what I gathered in another thread KSR reported that Clarke and Cal got into it after the cameras stopped rolling.

this correlates well with the tweet that was posted in another thread that Fletcher wasn’t the only one upset.

lol is it really that unbelievable to you? You really need to say “I need more proof!”

thank god you weren’t on the titanic when it was sinking,,.

Reactions: Wildcat-in-STL
You are only hearing from the most disgruntled fans. I believe a majority of the fans want Cal to stay and will write this start off to a bad year. Plus, I think there are one or two malcontents on the team who selfishly want to do things their way and not for the benefit of the team. I believe one or two may leave and the program will be better for it. Some of these kid‘s egos are unmanageable and this gets further enflamed by outside advisors, family and friends.

For 11 years I would have agreed with you that there are more silent fans that are happy. Having said that, with as bad as 2020 has been I think more people have turned to their passion (UK) as an outlet only to see a 1-5 record and Cal only promising more of the same. Alot of fans were willing to embrace the OAD if it meant filling the trophy case and exciting basketball. That’s just not the case now. Cal hasn’t filled the trophy case and we aren’t winning as advertised. Can he fix it? Yes of course he can but the current trajectory I would say without a doubt has a expiration date by the fan base and the clock has started to count down slowly.

From what I gathered in another thread KSR reported that Clarke and Cal got into it after the cameras stopped rolling.

this correlates well with the tweet that was posted in another thread that Fletcher wasn’t the only one upset.

lol is it really that unbelievable to you? You really need to say “I need more proof!”

thank god you weren’t on the titanic when it was sinking,,.
I would like to know what was said or see a video of the confrontation. What is so alarming about that. I read the KSR report. It doesnt say anything about Clarke and Cal getting into an argument. Thank you for your time.

I would like to know what was said or see a video of the confrontation. What is so alarming about that. I read the KSR report. It doesnt say anything about Clarke and Cal getting into an argument. Thank you for your time.
KSR said it was off camera... which means theres no video... lol

Again, that’s what was reported here. And I found it believable given the tweets about the program being in turmoil with others having problems with Cal. I have seen nothing to make the story seem false. If you have please share.

Check out KSR article referencing the breakdown of events at the end of the UNC game. Clarke asks, "Cam left" when he fouled out the game. I think it started from there.
I saw that. I did not see Cal and Clarke have an argument. I saw Cal walk down and Clarke looked upset but you cant tell if he was upset with the fact that a teammate walked off the floor, that he himself had just fouled out or if it was with Cal. Cal and Clarke did not talk during that video. I do not remember a player ever leaving the floor before, without an injury.

We just disagree and that is fine. Cal saved this program from falling apart when he got here and I think he can turn this around. We are not playing together as a team and I think a lot of that is due to not having a capable point guard at this time and the fact that we, of all years, needed the preseason exhibition games. Cal missed on Askew, at least as it looks right now. I hope that will change but I am not optimistic about it.

no problems with disagreements, makes for good discussions from both sides of the coin. I don’t think askew was a total miss , I just think he isn’t quite ready yet but I do see potential in him. Thought he played quite well against UNC. I’d rather PG be shared between him and Mintz as Clarke is a total disaster in that role. Boston is the big miss at the moment, perhaps he comes around but can’t have him chucking up 6 threes a game at a 17% clip. Rest of his game is sporadic as well at this stage.

KSR said it was off camera... which means theres no video... lol

Again, that’s what was reported here. And I found it believable given the tweets about the program being in turmoil with others having problems with Cal. I have seen nothing to make the story seem false. If you have please share.
Just wondering why, if it is reported by KSR and that there were witnesses, we have not seen in print what was said.

Those on this board wanting Cal gone now are just Cal haters in general. Should he be held accountable? Yes. Should he make some changes? Yes. Am I happy with this season? Am I happy with his recent recruiting? Am i happy to see transfers, and players leaving that shouldn’t? No. But he has earned the right to fix. After next season, with no changes, then we can talk. But for him to be fired now? That’s crazy, and even those clamoring for it know that.
I have never once said Cal should be fired. I want him to quit, just like he quit on the fans.

Just wondering why, if it is reported by KSR and that there were witnesses, we have not seen in print what was said.
The people who said they saw said it looked like they were arguing but I guess they weren’t close enough to hear what was said.

tell me, what makes you so confident that we have a tight knit, well disciplined group? What evidence do you have to the contrary of what has been reported here?

cause Ive got a 1-5 record, player kicked off the team, and a coach talking about media conspiracy theories to back up that this team is unhinged at best.

I'm sure ppl will be excited to take the job when ppl ran a guy with a 80% win percentage out of town. Whats the odds the next guy makes it 3 years?
judging by UKs record of title winning coaches to UK coaches with no titles the odds are pretty good
“Just fine”???? Holy hell. What planet am I living on? People around here have lost their damn minds.
Before Cal: 7 national titles 13 final fours
With Cal: 1 national title 4 final fours.

judging by UKs record of title winning coaches to UK coaches with no titles the odds are pretty good

Before Cal: 7 national titles 13 final fours
With Cal: 1 national title 4 final fours.

Before Cal: 107 seasons, 1 title every 15.3 years, 1 final four every 8.3 years

With Cal: 1 title every 11 seasons, 1 Final Four every 2.75 seasons

Which is better???

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74

Which is better???
You’re using 2009-2015 that run of final fours was an anomaly. We are now seeing UK return to its normal course. I’ll take the traditional model that won 7 titles and went to 13 final fours.

Which is better???
We all get it. You think Cal is not replaceable. He is and will be sooner rather than later. No way Cal stays here another 10 years Maybe you should start preparing yourself.

I don't agree at all. Cal is going nowhere and he shouldn't. You've got people on this board wanting Chris Beard to replace Cal. Insanity. Cal has earned the right to turn this around.
Nobody doubts he’s earned the right. Many of us doubt he wants the right and believe he will not change. Not now, not ever.

Those on this board wanting Cal gone now are just Cal haters in general. Should he be held accountable? Yes. Should he make some changes? Yes. Am I happy with this season? Am I happy with his recent recruiting? Am i happy to see transfers, and players leaving that shouldn’t? No. But he has earned the right to fix. After next season, with no changes, then we can talk. But for him to be fired now? That’s crazy, and even those clamoring for it know that.
The problem is....he won't make changes. He won't change his approach or his NBA this and NBA that.
Who is holding him accountable? His recruiting isn't changing. Baker, Juzang, Whitney, and now Fletcher. It's still happening. He's not changing.
He won't even come out and say that he will. Instead he doubles down.

Last edited:
The people who said they saw said it looked like they were arguing but I guess they weren’t close enough to hear what was said.

tell me, what makes you so confident that we have a tight knit, well disciplined group? What evidence do you have to the contrary of what has been reported here?

cause Ive got a 1-5 record, player kicked off the team, and a coach talking about media conspiracy theories to back up that this team is unhinged at best.
I didnt say that I know we have a tight knit group. I just want some reason to get worked up like some of you guys do when anything negative happens, small things, rumors, Cals beard, Saar looking upset with his fourth foul (hoping he was mad at Cal). It has not been a good season and it brings out, what Rupp called, the turds.

Kentucky after Adolph Rupp - Winningest program in college history.

We'll be alright
I am just amazed at these posts that think UK will disappear if Cal were to leave. UK is the only school that has had 5 coaches win titles. Nobody else is even close.
Cal has one more FF than Hall or Pitino. Pitino was here for 8 years, 6 years UK was eligible for the tourney. Hall was at UK for 13 years.

I am just amazed at these posts that think UK will disappear if Cal were to leave. UK is the only school that has had 5 coaches win titles. Nobody else is even close.
Cal has one more FF than Hall or Pitino. Pitino was here for 8 years, 6 years UK was eligible for the tourney. Hall was at UK for 13 years.
Good post. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Reactions: Cawood86
I saw that. I did not see Cal and Clarke have an argument. I saw Cal walk down and Clarke looked upset but you cant tell if he was upset with the fact that a teammate walked off the floor, that he himself had just fouled out or if it was with Cal. Cal and Clarke did not talk during that video. I do not remember a player ever leaving the floor before, without an injury.
Orton did during the SEC Tournament in Cal's first year!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT