ADVERTISEMENT

This fan base is not divided

mbc82584

Junior
Jun 11, 2006
Now, it definitely has been. Many times I can remember.

But unlike 2004 Tubby, or Gillispie year 1, or 2013 Cal...the chorus of fans is in one direction overwhelmingly. In those years there were malcontents, but it was an outspoken minority who got crushed on this board and in basically all other places.

in 1988, and 2006, and 2009..:there was a similar chorus to this year, though. The MAJORITY were fed up and pissed. And the fact is, in those years, the fan base was damn right. I think they are this time too.

We are all capable of respecting cals 4 FFs and title, and praying like hell he changes....

But at this point, if he’s unwilling to change, and wants to keep pipelining mediocre college players to the pros while making 3-4 players a
Year transfer or jump and not get drafted, the majority of Kentucky fans know it’s time to move on.

And the chorus of this fan base has a proven track record of being *damn right*.

I'm sure ppl will be excited to take the job when ppl ran a guy with a 80% win percentage out of town. Whats the odds the next guy makes it 3 years?

Can't wait to see a bunch of brad calipari level players running around out there, but hopefully the next guy gets him a 5 star, but doesn't do too much with him so he stays a few years...so good, but don't get too good on us. And he can be one of the 1-3 high profile recruits that stays more than 2 years. That will have the fanbase joyous

You are only hearing from the most disgruntled fans. I believe a majority of the fans want Cal to stay and will write this start off to a bad year. Plus, I think there are one or two malcontents on the team who selfishly want to do things their way and not for the benefit of the team. I believe one or two may leave and the program will be better for it. Some of these kid‘s egos are unmanageable and this gets further enflamed by outside advisors, family and friends.

Last edited:
You are only hearing from the most disgruntled fans. I believe a majority of the fans want Cal to stay and will write this start off to a bad year. Plus, I think there are one or two malcontents on the team who selfishly want to do things their way and not for the benefit of the team. I believe one or two may leave and the program will be better for it. Some of these kid‘s egos are unmanageable this gets further enflamed by outside advisors, family and friends.
At some point you gotta quit blaming a kids ego when he sees the same people playing who are 1-5 and he’s waiting for his chance to show what he can do to help.

that being said, you handle those conversations off the court. You ask the coach “what can I do to get on the court? Cause what we‘re doing now aint working.”

Cal is going to continue to have frustrated players because he refuses to give every player the same leash. Players notice that. Hell even Clarke go into it with Cal over Fletcher apparently so it isn’t just one kid who is upset with the way things are run. And these aren’t the first two guys who have been upset with the way Cal run things.

Either Cal is a bad leader/coach/recruiter or these kids are just all of sudden team cancers and head cases when they get to UK. Either way it’s Carl’s fault.

I'm sure ppl will be excited to take the job when ppl ran a guy with a 80% win percentage out of town. Whats the odds the next guy makes it 3 years?

Can't wait to see a bunch of brad calipari level players running around out there, but hopefully the next guy gets him a 5 star, but doesn't do too much with him so he stays a few years...so good, but don't get too good on us. And he can be one of the 1-3 high profile recruits that stays more than 2 years. That will have the fanbase joyous

this 80% win percentage that keeps getting repeated is way overblown. Cals schedule is typically filled with around 8 cupcake gimme wins/year that a random drawing lucky fan of the game could coach to victory. Don’t have those this year and here we are.

Therein lies the problem. That's why Cal won't be cut loose regardless of how this season goes. He's built up the capital to try to right the ship. But at the same time the problems being pointed out are real.

We as fans just have to hope that Cal can and will make changes to get us back to being a top level program because the alternatives are bleak.

this 80% win percentage that keeps getting repeated is way overblown. Cals schedule is typically filled with around 8 cupcake gimme wins/year that a random drawing lucky fan of the game could coach to victory. Don’t have those this year and here we are.

Dude, nice try. Last year would be considered a successful year by any coaches standards. I'm not even a Cal defender, but to act like he hasn't won hugely here is to be dishonest.

At some point you gotta quit blaming a kids ego when he sees the same people playing who are 1-5 and he’s waiting for his chance to show what he can do to help.

that being said, you handle those conversations off the court. You ask the coach “what can I do to get on the court? Cause what we‘re doing now aint working.”

Cal is going to continue to have frustrated players because he refuses to give every player the same leash. Players notice that. Hell even Clarke go into it with Cal over Fletcher apparently so it isn’t just one kid who is upset with the way things are run. And these aren’t the first two guys who have been upset with the way Cal run things.

Either Cal is a bad leader/coach/recruiter or these kids are just all of sudden team cancers and head cases when they get to UK. Either way it’s Carl’s fault.
Please explain the Clarke and Cal confrontation. It has only been referenced, without anything really given as proof. I seriously would like to know what was said or maybe someone has a video.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

A bit simplistic.

Cal's issue is bigger than player retention. How many actual shooters does this current team have? One (Mintz).

There's your biggest issue.

True. In reality, this group that has never played a game together just finished the exhibition part of getting ready for the season. Unfortunately, it counts and looks bad. I am looking at UP as a new start. Every team plays cupcakes so the win percentage is real compared to any other coach.k

A roster with 10 "5-star" recruits doesn't win championships. A roster with 3-4 great freshmen and 7-8 experienced players does. That's just fact.

You are only hearing from the most disgruntled fans. I believe a majority of the fans want Cal to stay and will write this start off to a bad year. Plus, I think there are one or two malcontents on the team who selfishly want to do things their way and not for the benefit of the team. I believe one or two may leave and the program will be better for it. Some of these kid‘s egos are unmanageable and this gets further enflamed by outside advisors, family and friends.
If you really believe that a majority of fans want Cal to stay after a 1-5 start and him shoving his super wokeness down our throats, then you are delusional.

Don't forget the SEC has been way for the most part of Cal's tenure. In fact the SEC being down is the only reason Cal's model has worked at UK. We usually play crap basketball every year until March and he gets away with that playing the weak SEC. It wouldn't work in the ACC, Big10 or Big East. We would have too many losses every year to make a run in March.

Last edited:
Reactions: cats2010
Those on this board wanting Cal gone now are just Cal haters in general. Should he be held accountable? Yes. Should he make some changes? Yes. Am I happy with this season? Am I happy with his recent recruiting? Am i happy to see transfers, and players leaving that shouldn’t? No. But he has earned the right to fix. After next season, with no changes, then we can talk. But for him to be fired now? That’s crazy, and even those clamoring for it know that.

Don't forget the SEC has been way for the most part of Cal's tenure. In fact the SEC being down is the only reason Cal's model has worked at UK. We usually play crap basketball every year until March and he gets away with that playing the weak SEC. It wouldn't work in the ACC, Big10 or big East. we would have too many losses every year to make a run in March.

i was going to mention something about a lot of weak teams in the sec each year but the cupcakes alone on our schedule annually made my point but you are absolutely correct. True testament is how we are doing against better competition and I believe saturdays loss puts us at 22-20 against top 25 competition the last 5 years which is nothing to celebrate or gloat about. It’s not ignoring the first years of cals tenure here either as no one has issue with those and isn’t the subject of the current state of the program.

Those on this board wanting Cal gone now are just Cal haters in general. Should he be held accountable? Yes. Should he make some changes? Yes. Am I happy with this season? Am I happy with his recent recruiting? Am i happy to see transfers, and players leaving that shouldn’t? No. But he has earned the right to fix. After next season, with no changes, then we can talk. But for him to be fired now? That’s crazy, and even those clamoring for it know that.
Those are some really easy questions you're asking yourself there. Why not ask some more difficult ones?

I can tell you I was the biggest Cal fan here. But he's soured me. It happens and it's not an isolated thing. So your theory is bogus. I challenge you to find ANY Cal hate from my posts prior to this season. You won't find it.

sorry you don’t speak for all and have no clue who is and isn’t just a cal Hater. I wanted cal here long before most if not anyone on this board. I started clamoring for him amongst my friends around 2000 or 2001 or so when OTS was floundering. Cal did great when first arrived but his ego has gotten the best of him and if he would change I’d be all for him staying but he isn’t and not even sure he could if he tried. He has built us into nothing but a farm system to the league. I’d rather not see us go down the tubes and hit rock bottom for several seasons in a row before we try and right this ship again but that is where we are headed. Cal told everyone the other day the culture here is not changing and the culture is our number 1 enemy at the moment.

Please explain the Clarke and Cal confrontation. It has only been referenced, without anything really given as proof. I seriously would like to know what was said or maybe someone has a video.
Same, all I saw in the video was Clarke acting disgusted when he realized Fletcher left the bench. Outside of that, I’ve seen nothing where Clarke and Cal got into it?

Unfortunately, this is an inadvertently poorly-constructed team of highly-rated players. These pieces do not make for a winning team.

I don't agree at all. Cal is going nowhere and he shouldn't. You've got people on this board wanting Chris Beard to replace Cal. Insanity. Cal has earned the right to turn this around.

Unfortunately, this is an inadvertently poorly-constructed team of highly-rated players. These pieces do not make for a winning team.
This is a major issue Cal's teams. It seems like we never have enough shoots on the floor to space things out. Wouldn't the dribble drive become more efficient with some shooters on the floor to complement the slashers?

They sure aren’t fitting now but based on Cal’s past history,I believe they will be playing much better by the end of January. However, given the accumulating loses, it may get testy for this team to qualify for the NCAA tournament.

Unless a couple of these guys start playing primarily for the team instead of themselves the projected improvement will be stunted. However, I think Cal wIl take more aggressive steps to address the selfishness problem of the affected players don’t appropriately respond fairly soon.

If you really believe that a majority of fans want Cal to stay after a 1-5 start and him shoving his super wokeness down our throats, then you are delusional.
I completely believe a majority of fans do not want to see Cal gone. It is only those that truthfully, from a basketball standpoint, feel he has run his course here and, those that are in hate mode for his stance on BLM that want him gone. I guess there are some that believe both.
But, again, for those that are disappointed in this season but still want to keep Cal make up the majority.

sorry you don’t speak for all and have no clue who is and isn’t just a cal Hater. I wanted cal here long before most if not anyone on this board. I started clamoring for him amongst my friends around 2000 or 2001 or so when OTS was floundering. Cal did great when first arrived but his ego has gotten the best of him and if he would change I’d be all for him staying but he isn’t and not even sure he could if he tried. He has built us into nothing but a farm system to the league. I’d rather not see us go down the tubes and hit rock bottom for several seasons in a row before we try and right this ship again but that is where we are headed. Cal told everyone the other day the culture here is not changing and the culture is our number 1 enemy at the moment.
Will you name a school that has replaced a long time successful coach without dropping back substantially. I know Tubby captured lightning in a bottle his first year but then was for the most part disappointing. It took Rick Pitino a while to get to the heights he did at UK and Louisville. He is the exception and he could do it at any school.
UNC after Smith was bad for many years, until Roy
Indiana after Knight, still counting the bad to mediocre seasons
UCLA after Wooden, see above
Florida after Donovan, see above
I have seen countless posts on here about how Duke will fall hard after K leaves.
Be careful what you wish for.

Will you name a school that has replaced a long time successful coach without dropping back substantially. I know Tubby captured lightning in a bottle his first year but then was for the most part disappointing. It took Rick Pitino a while to get to the heights he did at UK and Louisville. He is the exception and he could do it at any school.
I have seen countless posts on here about how Duke will fall hard after K leaves.
Kentucky after Adolph Rupp - Winningest program in college history.

We'll be alright

Anyone who truly wants Cal gone is an idiot who is getting caught up in the emotion of a bad season.

I simply cannot believe there are UK fans who really believe that UK basketball would be better off without Cal here. Mind boggling to me.

Reactions: Deli owl
When your winning like CAL was up until 2016 you can overlook his problems. ( offense Defense inbounds plays terrible bench coach etc etc) Heck we should have at least 2 titles if not 4. After that Wisconsin game CAL and KY have been on a downward spiral that is about too hit rock bottom this season. KY should never lose games to the Evansvilles of the world. CAL was ahead of the curve in College Basketball but is so far behind it now I don’t think he can change.

I am in the camp--recently converted--that I don't care if he stays or goes/gets fired at the end of the season. Here is what gets me to feeling that way:

1. Cal is not providing any indication that he will change. With the Ryan Harrow situation, Cal swore he never would be held hostage again and that led somewhat to the 2015 team. Cal complained about that team regarding keeping players happy and too many players who needed to play. So he has gone back to his beloved short rotation which leads to lack of depth, lack of competition for minutes etc.
  2. He was a pioneer of the 1 and done. Everyone has caught on and the the super talents know they can go anywhere to get drafted. So a lot are choosing the easier path. Cal is not adjusting.
  3. Cal continues to play favorites and value athleticism over basketball ability.
  4. Cal is just borderline dishonest and is very condescending to the fan base. Last night on his show was the tipping point for me. The whole B/S of look we are over-reacting as we are not going hungry, we are not talking about not being able to make our rent payments etc. WTF does that have to do with his job? Fans can be very upset about UK basketball with one perspective and be concerned about humankind from another perspective. UK losing basketball games does not impact my empathy for others, does not impact my charity etc. What it does mean is that everything below starving to death does not automatically gets a free pass. He needs to knock it off with his pseudo intellectual bullshit. After all to use his thought process he is just a basketball coach.
  5. Regardless of when Cal leaves, with his current recruiting style of starting from scratch every year, what does that leave for the next coach coming in? This constant turnover is a very poor foundation for the Program.
I could go on and on but the post is already too long. If Cal would own it without coach speak and commit to changes I would 100% want him here. I get Cal does not "owe" that to the fans but neither do the fans "owe" unconditional support when they feel nothing is changing.

I think most fans have become disenfranchised with the program. Not enough retention and Calapari is not very likable. He doesn’t talk like a normal guy. It’s all cliches & hyperbole just not a down to earth type guy.
Much more direct and to the point compared to my post! LOL!

this is the same thought process that stoops goes through with a minute twenty to go in the half with the ball on his own 40 and a slight lead before half. Don’t eff up, let’s just do what we do and not go for the gusto. I promise you UK can attract a basketball coach who will coach this like a collegiate program. We had players go pro before cal and will afterwards as well but that doesn’t mean it’s what our program should be built around. Cal had it at first. Build it and they will come and they did, but they ain’t coming anymore. Cals coaching method is for a team of Uber talented athletes mixed with just enough players with true basketball skills, That’s not what we get here any longer and yet cal still trying to do it his way. He either will not/cannot change his style of coaching to fit his personnel and what you get when that happens is 1-5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT