ADVERTISEMENT

This Board Might Be Too Far GONE

I love you how you call for the board to better yet here you are bitching....lol
Umm, I didn't "call for the board to better", I said it was past redemption. Good job Trollee, you and your ilk won. Enjoy a celebratory parasite dance for your victory.

Every single one of you have the power to ban any poster on this site. If you chose not to do that, then it's you're own fault that you are reading their post. Use the ignore feature, that is the greatest option added to a message board format ever.

The term troll has also taken off in the last couple of years and now fans that have conversed back and forth for nearly 20 years are calling each other trolls like they've never met the poster.

Talk about the stuff you want to discuss and don't worry about what other people are doing and this is a lot more enjoyable. There is always going to be criticism, that is a fundamental aspect of discussion. We will take care of the people that don't belong here but some of you consider that to be 90% of the site and make that task a lot harder.
Good use of hyperbole John. I agree with the ignore button but I also think the mods could do a better job to stop some of

I am not sure what you are talking about. I didn't post anything negative or spew crap. I just pointed out that the OP stated that only the "sunshine pumpers" are true fans which is false. Maybe you should lay off of the bottle this early.

No, I don’t think you can read your on writing. You called anyone that disagrees with a poop pumper self righteous. That is a cowardly comment.

No, I don’t think you can read your on writing. You called anyone that disagrees with a poop pumper self righteous. That is a cowardly comment.

I was referring to saying anything negative about UK. I didn't say that anyone who disagrees with a "poop pumper" is self righteous but if you think that you are the only "true fan" then you are self righteous and if you can't see that then I guess our conversation is done. Have a good day.

Reactions: awf and KyFaninNC
It's sad really, the majority of posters are negative, or obvious trolls. I don't see it rebounding at this point. Actual fans are the minority now and derided as "sunshine pumpers". Go ahead and tell me how you are the real fans, haters, while you bash the coach and team for being 3-1, but only the second best recruiting class. Kick dirt over it, or burn this sucker down, it ain't coming back.

IT'S FREE!!! You are like the guy complaining about a free donut because it has a hole in it.

Reactions: awf
IT'S FREE!!! You are like the guy complaining about a free donut because it has a hole in it.

yep, there is a pay to post option here for those inclined to avoid a more robust discussion with posters of varied fan interests

It's nothing compared to what it was in the Tubby era.

Kentucky fans are crazy over-reactors. That's old hat. We all know this.

I think the criticism of this team however has been about right. Partly because this team doesn't appear to be playing hard and "giving it their all," to use a cliche. But also because this team took one of the most brutal regular season losses of my lifetime.

You shouldn't come out of that unscathed. Not at Kentucky. I really believe that even some of our mediocre teams, those teams we thought had no hope in the Tubby years for instance, would have put up more of a fight against Duke.

You never want to get so far down on college kids that it tips into cruelty. College basketball is a highly interesting game because so much can change in such a short time. To me it's the most interesting--and maddening--sport played in America. But you also have to be a realist if you're a fan and not live in delusion. Right now nobody we have, coach or player, has laid it all on the line. That's hellaciously frustrating.

It's nothing compared to what it was in the Tubby era.

Kentucky fans are crazy over-reactors. That's old hat. We all know this.

I think the criticism of this team however has been about right. Partly because this team doesn't appear to be playing hard and "giving it their all," to use a cliche. But also because this team took one of the most brutal regular season losses of my lifetime.

You shouldn't come out of that unscathed. Not at Kentucky. I really believe that even some of our mediocre teams, those teams we thought had no hope in the Tubby years for instance, would have put up more of a fight against Duke.

You never want to get so far down on college kids that it tips into cruelty. College basketball is a highly interesting game because so much can change in such a short time. To me it's the most interesting--and maddening--sport played in America. But you also have to be a realist if you're a fan and not live in delusion. Right now nobody we have, coach or player, has laid it all on the line. That's hellaciously frustrating.

I agree with alot of your post, but disagree that this team isn't playing hard. I don't see that at all.

I agree with alot of your post, but disagree that this team isn't playing hard. I don't see that at all.

You could be right.

I just don't think they play with the kind of scrambling, manic intensity I saw from teams during Feast Week. And I'm talking defensively.

There are other things happening but I do think we've got some guys who aren't going all-out the way you have to at this level. The silver lining there is that usually Cal's teams who have that issue early on get it some point during the season.

remember katman2000? That man was hated here so badly and it turns out the man was like a prophet about tubby

Well, partly.

But they hated Tubby with an intensity that bordered on obsessiveness.

And they're still around. I'm a mod of another board and we had a guy who posted from Dynasty Defenders. Good poster, but you could not mention Tubby to him. You literally could not even mention Tubby's name in any way without him losing it.

That's what we call "off" in eastern KY. It's when logical criticism goes haywire and you've got guys who are looking to make fools out of other posters. Because at this point that whole argument isn't about Tubby Smith; it's about rubbing other fans' noses in manure.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Well, partly.

But they hated Tubby with an intensity that bordered on obsessiveness.

And they're still around. I'm a mod of another board and we had a guy who posted from Dynasty Defenders. Good poster, but you could not mention Tubby to him. You literally could not even mention Tubby's name in any way without him losing it.

That's what we call "off" in eastern KY. It's when logical criticism goes haywire and you've got guys who are looking to make fools out of other posters. Because at this point that whole argument isn't about Tubby Smith; it's about rubbing other fans' noses in manure.

I'm going to regret posting this but I'm doing it anyway

DD came into being because they were refused a voice on the main Kentucky forum. I'm not saying they should have been allowed to spew vitriol about Tubby unrestricted, but as a result they got national attention for their anti Tubby position creating essentially a board dedicated to it. That might have been mitigated under different circumstances.

That's probably why you can't even mention Tubby's name to that guy because he was chastised , banned and most likely called a racist because he hated watching grind it out basketball - and ended up with a bunch of like minded "ex-pats" of sorts that became hell bent on Tubby's removal no matter the consequences.

Tubby leaves and the downward spiral of their board's active participation begins. They had nothing else in common.

Last edited:
remember katman2000? That man was hated here so badly and it turns out the man was like a prophet about tubby

That is a blast from the past. I am reborn to this board having taken more than a decade off...lol, no clue why. Anyhow, I remember him from what I would assume to be the beginning of the board in early 2000's. My first memory of this board was Darius Rice recruitment while I was living in Haggin Hall, hence the name

I went to the Michigan football board Saturday out of curiosity - which told me what I suspected. All message boards - at least for fan bases of teams that have had some real success - are the same. Many of them wanted to fire Jim Harbaugh, wanted to fire every assistant, fire the AD, fire the quarterback. It's ridiculous, but that's sports. Once you realize people are just venting in the moment, it's not quite so shocking.

By now, we are tribalized. It's like politics - many folks aren't responding so much to what actually is happening as much as they are reacting in opposition to what the other side is saying.

For all that, call me a sunshine pumper or whatever you want, I don't care, but my own position is (no matter how frustrated I might get at any given point) it strikes me as completely lacking in perspective to complain about what this coach has accomplished. Most wins since he's been here. Highest winning percentage since he's been here. Most NCAA tournament wins, most elite 8s, most final fours. All you can do is say, well, 3 other schools have two titles to our one in that time (out of 364 schools). It's the most whining, entitled, lacking in perspective thing imaginable. This isn't going a decade without a trip to the final four. And he's doing it with freshmen! Contrary to the folks who say " WE ARE KENTUCKY!! We'll be great no matter who the coach is!" All I can say to that is Indiana thought the same thing. UCLA thought the same thing. Nebraska football thought the same. On and on. We'll see. I'd wager a decent amount we'll take a good step back when Cal leaves. Of course, that won't matter - none of the complainers will say "hmm, maybe we had it pretty good back then, maybe I should've been more appreciative." Nope, they'll just move on and complain about the next guy.

Does anyone remember that pitiful video someone posted in the last few years of a old guy sitting in his recliner just absolutely bitching about a UK game? It was the very essence of sad. That's how some of the posters here come across.......

That's probably why you can't even mention Tubby's name to that guy because he was chastised , banned and most likely called a racist because he hated watching grind it out basketball - and ended up with a bunch of like minded "ex-pats" of sorts that became hell bent on Tubby's removal no matter the consequences.

Good post and I think you're mostly right.

But I can't imagine hating anybody the way those guys hated Tubby. And it was also odd that when Gillispie came in, the hatred for him seemed about half as strong.

We've all gone over this a million times. It's really not that interesting a discussion at this point. But to me there's sort of logical criticism from fans, and then there's la-la land nonsense. What's happened this year with Cal on this particular board seems legitimate and pretty even-keeled. But there are times Kentucky fans can go off the reservation, and we're not a group that's really known for our self-awareness. Some folks will go crazy and then they'll just entrench themselves in that craziness.

Cal will never get the Tubby Treatment but it could go badly wrong for Cal with the fans, mostly because of the one-and-done thing. If you're winning and touting the NBA I think most fans will go along with it to a point. If you're losing and it's still happening, people are going to jump off. We've seen some of that already the last couple of years.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I went to the Michigan football board Saturday out of curiosity - which told me what I suspected. All message boards - at least for fan bases of teams that have had some real success - are the same. Many of them wanted to fire Jim Harbaugh, wanted to fire every assistant, fire the AD, fire the quarterback. It's ridiculous, but that's sports. Once you realize people are just venting in the moment, it's not quite so shocking.

By now, we are tribalized. It's like politics - many folks aren't responding so much to what actually is happening as much as they are reacting in opposition to what the other side is saying.

For all that, call me a sunshine pumper or whatever you want, I don't care, but my own position is (no matter how frustrated I might get at any given point) it strikes me as completely lacking in perspective to complain about what this coach has accomplished. Most wins since he's been here. Highest winning percentage since he's been here. Most NCAA tournament wins, most elite 8s, most final fours. All you can do is say, well, 3 other schools have two titles to our one in that time (out of 364 schools). It's the most whining, entitled, lacking in perspective thing imaginable. This isn't going a decade without a trip to the final four. And he's doing it with freshmen! Contrary to the folks who say " WE ARE KENTUCKY!! We'll be great no matter who the coach is!" All I can say to that is Indiana thought the same thing. UCLA thought the same thing. Nebraska football thought the same. On and on. We'll see. I'd wager a decent amount we'll take a good step back when Cal leaves. Of course, that won't matter - none of the complainers will say "hmm, maybe we had it pretty good back then, maybe I should've been more appreciative." Nope, they'll just move on and complain about the next guy.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a marginally insignificant number of people wanting Cal to leave, so to put it in the context of firing him doesn't seem correct.

Secondly, doing it with Freshmen is entirely his choice - the standards for UK fans doesn't change and Cal knew this from day one. His speech about #1 seeds and getting it right - he knew full well that coming here as Coach, just as he tells the freshmen is not for everyone.

I can certainly appreciate the final fours, the title, and the national resurgence we saw as a program under Cal, but the general feeling I get from posts like this are "hey we know the past couple of years haven't been up to standard but look what he did for us 6 years ago, 3 years ago - whatever time frame". But it really boils down to this

Do you believe that what we are doing today is going to work and is a long term strategy for success in getting us another title?

Some people truly believe, some people don't and some people have the position that because of what Cal has done for us already, he has the luxury to fix whatever is wrong. I certainly think he has earned it. The question for me is - is he willing to?

Maybe Cal is counting on the basketball world to change back to his favor again, the one and done rule going away or Coach K retiring next year, I don't know but I think he needs to adapt.

Finally, we heard the same concerns about replacing Tubby - and we did replace him with a nightmare of a coach, but we are Kentucky and I firmly believe, with 5 different coaches winning national championships , that we'll keep pushing to get it right. whoever the coach is. Cal isn't going to stay with us another decade regardless.

Cal will never get the Tubby Treatment but it could go badly wrong for Cal with the fans, mostly because of the one-and-done thing. If you're winning and touting the NBA I think most fans will go along with it to a point. If you're losing and it's still happening, people are going to jump off. We've seen some of that already the last couple of years.

a big part of that is because there is little connection to the team. 10 years from UK fans will remember Benny Snell. Shai Gilgeous Alexander will just be a blur of was he Fox? Greene? Who can remember if they don't accomplish anything exceptional?

a big part of that is because there is little connection to the team. 10 years from UK fans will remember Benny Snell. Shai Gilgeous Alexander will just be a blur of was he Fox? Greene? Who can remember if they don't accomplish anything exceptional?

Well, I do think there was something special about Shai.

Went from a nobody to a very good UK player. At times last year he was the only one battling. He holds a special spot for me at least. He's a great underdog story.

Fox was on the level of Wall and Knight and those guys. Electric player. I don't begrudge him for leaving.

Better example of what you're talking about are the Jarred Vanderbilts of the world. Trey Lyles. Daniel Orton. Skal. Hami Diallo. Players who really weren't consistent and/or who just blended in to the rest of the team, and yet left after a year anyway.

And this is just me and I can't speak for others, but if you were a great player then by all means, go chase that NBA dream. I get that and respect it. The problem comes in when the not-great start to chase that same dream and our program becomes sort of secondary.

Well, I do think there was something special about Shai.

Went from a nobody to a very good UK player. At times last year he was the only one battling. He holds a special spot for me at least. He's a great underdog story.

Fox was on the level of Wall and Knight and those guys. Electric player. I don't begrudge him for leaving.

Better example of what you're talking about are the Jarred Vanderbilts of the world. Trey Lyles. Daniel Orton. Skal. Hami Diallo. Players who really weren't consistent and/or who just blended in to the rest of the team, and yet left after a year anyway.

And this is just me and I can't speak for others, but if you were a great player then by all means, go chase that NBA dream. I get that and respect it. The problem comes in when the not-great start to chase that same dream and our program becomes sort of secondary.

I'm not dogging Shai - or any player for that matter, but in the era of the mercenary player, there is an implied contract of sorts - that contract blows up when the talent doesn't deliver but then moves on to the NBA anyways - and it burns out fans.

It's sad really, the majority of posters are negative, or obvious trolls. I don't see it rebounding at this point. Actual fans are the minority now and derided as "sunshine pumpers". Go ahead and tell me how you are the real fans, haters, while you bash the coach and team for being 3-1, but only the second best recruiting class. Kick dirt over it, or burn this sucker down, it ain't coming back.
I totally agree .......I only come here to see if we have signed someone

Hard to post on this board cause I want to blast most of the poster.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a marginally insignificant number of people wanting Cal to leave, so to put it in the context of firing him doesn't seem correct.

Secondly, doing it with Freshmen is entirely his choice - the standards for UK fans doesn't change and Cal knew this from day one. His speech about #1 seeds and getting it right - he knew full well that coming here as Coach, just as he tells the freshmen is not for everyone.

I can certainly appreciate the final fours, the title, and the national resurgence we saw as a program under Cal, but the general feeling I get from posts like this are "hey we know the past couple of years haven't been up to standard but look what he did for us 6 years ago, 3 years ago - whatever time frame". But it really boils down to this

Do you believe that what we are doing today is going to work and is a long term strategy for success in getting us another title?

Some people truly believe, some people don't and some people have the position that because of what Cal has done for us already, he has the luxury to fix whatever is wrong. I certainly think he has earned it. The question for me is - is he willing to?

Maybe Cal is counting on the basketball world to change back to his favor again, the one and done rule going away or Coach K retiring next year, I don't know but I think he needs to adapt.

Finally, we heard the same concerns about replacing Tubby - and we did replace him with a nightmare of a coach, but we are Kentucky and I firmly believe, with 5 different coaches winning national championships , that we'll keep pushing to get it right. whoever the coach is. Cal isn't going to stay with us another decade regardless.
that's fair. My guess is there are really very few fringe types on this board, or in all of BBN (on one end, thinking Calipari is above any criticism at all, and on the other thinking he should be fired). So most of the disagreement is because i) most people aren't precise in expressing themselves, and so they say it in a way that doesn't really represent what they mean (or else they are just venting after a bad game), or ii) the tribalism thing I mentioned. People just jump into react mode when they see a post and think "damn sunshine pumpers" or "damn haters", when what was said doesn't really call for the reaction.......

I always enjoy your takes
Likewise! (If that was directed at me, heh). We go way back - I’d like to think you, me, Ryall and a handful of others were representing the good side of BBN even in the craziness of the Sports Ullustrated boards!

board stinks at times like and unwashed pu$$y. but a little douche action will clean the kunts out. i love it when its clean...hate it when it stinks.

ok sunshine pumper, I bet you would climb inside Cal if you could.

Climb inside cal? WTF does that even mean? Is it some sort of attempt at a homo-erotic put down ?

He’s right though. I mean sometimes you make a solid point or two but 98% of your posts are Whiney , negative and similar to that of a 13 year old emo girl voicing her frustrations on Tumblr.

^^^ This

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT