ADVERTISEMENT

This Board amazes me at times

Please don't to tell this to Jeff Brohm. 5 years my A$$. Stoops is not a top 25 coach, but is paid top 5-10 $$$$$. Name for me one player on u6 team that UK recruited. You forget we lost to Vandy last year, SC and SHANE BEAMER two years straight. After 11 years this should not be happening. By the way, Stoops is divorced so l doubt he discussed this either his ex. Imagine she could care less as long as those big alimony and CS checks keep rolling in.
Did you not read my post? His family means his current family, his kids, his girlfriend, nowhere did I mention his ex-wife. As for the 5 years, if you take away all of the assistants, lose a bunch to the portal or lose all of your recruits then yes it could take as long as 5 years to rebuild. Might take less, might take more, first you have to hire the right guy, then he has to sell the program, recruits have to buy in and then you see results on the field. Maybe nowadays it can be done sooner but I think 5 was a reasonable number. Nitpick much?

Did you not read my post? His family means his current family, his kids, his girlfriend, nowhere did I mention his ex-wife. As for the 5 years, if you take away all of the assistants, lose a bunch to the portal or lose all of your recruits then yes it could take as long as 5 years to rebuild. Might take less, might take more, first you have to hire the right guy, then he has to sell the program, recruits have to buy in and then you see results on the field. Maybe nowadays it can be done sooner but I think 5 was a reasonable number. Nitpick much?
Since you've doubled down, as opposed to just conceding a mistake, which is very common on message boards, I'll list P5 schools at programs which have had recent coaching changes, since the beginning of the 2021 season, and thus in the portal/NIL era, and which have qualified for a bowl since the transition.

Virginia Tech, Duke, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, TCU, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, South Carolina, Illinois, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Miami, Texas, Kansas, USC, LSU and Tennessee. Leaving out teams with first year coaches, the only P5 teams, with a new coach, that have NOT managed to make a bowl are Vanderbilt and Virginia, both of which were massive rebuilds before the new coach ever got there.

So, why couldn't UK do it if Northwestern managed it? Or Duke? Or Kansas? No, 5 years wasn't a reasonable number, at all. I'm glad we kept Stoops. Had we not, assuming a competent replacement, a very realistic possibility for the next year we make a bowl would've been 2024.

So the head Coach at Toledo, App state, NC state, BYU, Kansas etc would turn down 9 MILLION a year?
This is a good example of what caused the amazement of the OP!!

Yes, all of these coaches would sniff at that opportunity, but upon close examination, you disprove the anti-Stoops agenda!!

The combined P5 records of the Coaches you propose are a combined 14 P5 seasons (11 at NC State and 3 at Kansas) with 0 ten win seasons.

Stoops has two ten win seasons the last six.

How can one project improved success with either the Coach of Kansas or the Coach of NC State, given that neither has a proven ceiling as high as is Coach’s Stoops’?

Sure, those Coaches have had some success, but combined, head-to-head they are 0-1 against Stoops.

Last edited:
Since you've doubled down, as opposed to just conceding a mistake, which is very common on message boards, I'll list P5 schools at programs which have had recent coaching changes, since the beginning of the 2021 season, and thus in the portal/NIL era, and which have qualified for a bowl since the transition.

Virginia Tech, Duke, Louisville, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech, TCU, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Washington, Oregon, South Carolina, Illinois, Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Miami, Texas, Kansas, USC, LSU and Tennessee. Leaving out teams with first year coaches, the only P5 teams, with a new coach, that have NOT managed to make a bowl are Vanderbilt and Virginia, both of which were massive rebuilds before the new coach ever got there.

So, why couldn't UK do it if Northwestern managed it? Or Duke? Or Kansas? No, 5 years wasn't a reasonable number, at all. I'm glad we kept Stoops. Had we not, assuming a competent replacement, a very realistic possibility for the next year we make a bowl would've been 2024.
Not five years, guy. Look at the data.

Now I’m as critical as anybody of CMS but the range of emotion on this board after knocking off a Top 10 team, albeit an overranked Louisville team but I don’t think folks realize how close we came to watching this entire program burn down last night. When a coach leaves, he takes most of his assistants with him. Now we would find a coach, no doubt, but it would destroy the recruiting class, there would be mass transfers and we would be looking at a minimum of 5 years until we made a bowl game.

Now I don’t know the facts or exactly what happened but I’d have to think the interest was real and so was the offer. I doubt the “fan revolt” down there had much to do with the decision. Maybe he rushed into the decision and after yesterday sat down with his family and they decided as a group that it wasn’t the right time.

We need to make some changes, it’s obvious there will be, but to burn it all down and start over? Who does that serve? We are an impatient fanbase, would we give the next guy the time he needs or be calling for his head year one? I’d rather fix what we have and keep going. From the comments I read here last night and this morning, it seems like a lot of us made comments without thinking them all the way through.

That’s my 2 cents. I’m happy that we still have our coach and some of the staff here. I’m happy we have a very nice recruiting class coming in. Let’s get back to celebrating beating Louisville, wrecking their season, knocking them out of the playoffs and continuing our dominance over the state.
I can’t say with a straight face that was a top 10 road win. (Not saying you are).

Now I’m as critical as anybody of CMS but the range of emotion on this board after knocking off a Top 10 team, albeit an overranked Louisville team but I don’t think folks realize how close we came to watching this entire program burn down last night. When a coach leaves, he takes most of his assistants with him. Now we would find a coach, no doubt, but it would destroy the recruiting class, there would be mass transfers and we would be looking at a minimum of 5 years until we made a bowl game.

Now I don’t know the facts or exactly what happened but I’d have to think the interest was real and so was the offer. I doubt the “fan revolt” down there had much to do with the decision. Maybe he rushed into the decision and after yesterday sat down with his family and they decided as a group that it wasn’t the right time.

We need to make some changes, it’s obvious there will be, but to burn it all down and start over? Who does that serve? We are an impatient fanbase, would we give the next guy the time he needs or be calling for his head year one? I’d rather fix what we have and keep going. From the comments I read here last night and this morning, it seems like a lot of us made comments without thinking them all the way through.

That’s my 2 cents. I’m happy that we still have our coach and some of the staff here. I’m happy we have a very nice recruiting class coming in. Let’s get back to celebrating beating Louisville, wrecking their season, knocking them out of the playoffs and continuing our dominance over the state.
This. I have been a UK FAN for over 55 years. I come on here to hopefully learn about things going on behind the scenes and share in celebrating my team. Can't stand KSR and this place, both the RR and this board, have become a repository for haters to bash our coaches and players, and the mods allow it to happen. I appreciate Hack reviving an old thread started about bashing Coach Schlarman to point out the lunacy, hate, and vitriol that is routinely spread on this board. Ironically, rather than delivering a message to posters to stop the bashing, the mods lock the thread for being disrespectful. Ironic.

Its sad that as big of a fanbase as UK has, both domestically and internationally, there is not a place that FANS can go to celebrate our team and hopefully share not public insights and recruiting information. If anyone is aware of such a site, please share! I really cant stand this crap much more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT