ADVERTISEMENT

This Board Might Be Too Far GONE

ftp000

Senior
Mar 26, 2009
It's sad really, the majority of posters are negative, or obvious trolls. I don't see it rebounding at this point. Actual fans are the minority now and derided as "sunshine pumpers". Go ahead and tell me how you are the real fans, haters, while you bash the coach and team for being 3-1, but only the second best recruiting class. Kick dirt over it, or burn this sucker down, it ain't coming back.

It's sad really, the majority of posters are negative, or obvious trolls. I don't see it rebounding at this point. Actual fans are the minority now and derided as "sunshine pumpers". Go ahead and tell me how you are the real fans, haters, while you bash the coach and team for being 3-1, but only the second best recruiting class. Kick dirt over it, or burn this sucker down, it ain't coming back.
Yeah, it’s time for you to leave.

You weren't complaining when guys were running around calling themselves the Legion of Doom and trashing everything on sight.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
There’s a reason I don’t post as much as I used to.

The older I get, the more I realize this stuff isn’t worth getting all worked up over. If we go 0-40 it affects my actual life zero.

I’m not a negative guy by nature, so I try to avoid negative people. They bring me way down

You just described every message board

Definitely isn’t like every message board. The Laker board I frequent remains somewhat civil, even when they are terrible.

Trolling and antagonism is actually frowned upon and even punished. I mean, it happens, but the leash is much tighter.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Please tell us how big of a fan that you are........you are such a big fan that you only only find negative things to say about the coaching staff and team......and if you are not pissed off about a #2 recruiting class that you are not a "actual fan"..........You need a F'ing life.......
I'm not pissed about it but it is frustrating missing out on the elite players in every class.

No bashing. Never have never will. But this is what the beginning of the end of Cal's era at UK feels like.
Dude... how does Duke have the program that they have right now if their fans threw Coach K out of town the first slump he went through?! Give Cal another 10 years. I guarantee that he will right the ship and make us the top tier program yet again. Shoe companies, referees, and certain programs literally had to ban together to stop the man the first time. Karma really is a bitch though and it will come back to bite them on the ass once again. Cal will be busting ass while we eat potato chips and drink beer in order to ensure UK another championship, or two, before he hangs it up for good.

BUT... He can’t get to the point of building an establishment (not just a program) if a bunch of instant gratification, entitled fans pressure him out for not giving a perfect season every season!! I’m sure a lot of you people have been through some down times as well in life. No different than what Cal and UK are going through with our program at the moment (keywords being AT THE MOMENT)

The older I get, the more I realize this stuff isn’t worth getting all worked up over. If we go 0-40 it affects my actual life zero.

I’m not a negative guy by nature, so I try to avoid negative people. They bring me way down

Same here, Mega, I just don't post at all as much as I used to. I have a great private life and that now takes more of my focus. I still love UK basketball, and all other UK athletics, but there are far more important things than coming on here to all the negative stuff.

Anymore, I always avoid this or the football board for a few days after a loss, or even a close game. Sometimes, even after a win.

I know exactly where you are coming from.

Same here, Mega, I just don't post at all as much as I used to. I have a great private life and that now takes more of my focus. I still love UK basketball, and all other UK athletics, but there are far more important things than coming on here to all the negative stuff.

Anymore, I always avoid this or the football board for a few days after a loss, or even a close game. Sometimes, even after a win.

I know exactly where you are coming from.

Same with me.

This is such a knee jerk fanbase it’s hard to handle sometimes. Every convincing win = for sure getting No. 9.

Every loss = fire the coach, send mean tweets to the players, be envious of some other team.

Younger me used to live and die with this stuff - missed important family functions, lost friends, punched holes in walls, destroyed my own property, etc.

Now, after going through the ups and downs of adult life, I realize this is meant to be fun and an escape. The negativity of the online fanbase is worth dealing with. I still love my Cats and will never stop, but it’s not worth getting personally offended over college kids throwing a ball through a hole.

Same with me.

This is such a knee jerk fanbase it’s hard to handle sometimes. Every convincing win = for sure getting No. 9.

Every loss = fire the coach, send mean tweets to the players, be envious of some other team.

Younger me used to live and die with this stuff - missed important family functions, lost friends, punched holes in walls, destroyed my own property, etc.

Now, after going through the ups and downs of adult life, I realize this is meant to be fun and an escape. The negativity of the online fanbase is worth dealing with. I still love my Cats and will never stop, but it’s not worth getting personally offended over college kids throwing a ball through a hole.

100% agree with all you just said.

I think a lot of fans see the writing on the wall that Cal needs to change something because what has worked in the past isn't work now but it's just sports some people need to grow up.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Dude... how does Duke have the program that they have right now if their fans threw Coach K out of town the first slump he went through?! Give Cal another 10 years. I guarantee that he will right the ship and make us the top tier program yet again. Shoe companies, referees, and certain programs literally had to ban together to stop the man the first time. Karma really is a bitch though and it will come back to bite them on the ass once again. Cal will be busting ass while we eat potato chips and drink beer in order to ensure UK another championship, or two, before he hangs it up for good.

BUT... He can’t get to the point of building an establishment (not just a program) if a bunch of instant gratification, entitled fans pressure him out for not giving a perfect season every season!! I’m sure a lot of you people have been through some down times as well in life. No different than what Cal and UK are going through with our program at the moment (keywords being AT THE MOMENT)
If Cal stayed here another 10 years I think you could be right. This isn't about getting rid of Cal after a "slump." It's about recognizing that Cal's original success here was built on a foundation of recruiting superiority that no longer exists, and frankly given his comments I don't see changing.

After the Wisconsin loss in 2015 I had a feeling that Cal's tenure would end here in a slow burn, that we'd never make another FF. I think it took something out of Cal, out of the fans, and maybe even out of potential recruits. I think Cal probably leaves in 2-3 years. I think there's a chance he leaves after this year. Pay attention to recruiting for next year. We have one guy who didn't sign, a KY kid who will play here even if Cal isn't the coach, and another kid who might hang around. So Cal wouldn't leave us empty handed. If we don't close strong w/ 2-3 of the top remaining players I'm not sure Cal can stomach another year of teaching kids how to get into a stance and rub off a screen and grab the ball with two hands when rebounding.

I believe in legit. criticism where warranted. But over the last month this place is absolutely infested with rather obvious trolls. I believe our mods. are being a little to liberal where this is concerned. I'm not suggesting a heavily policed board where nearly all contrary views are verboten and immediately banned, like over on Louisville's board. But there are some rather obvious and obnoxious trolls running wild on this board, and it's getting worse. It's childish and annoying.

Every single one of you have the power to ban any poster on this site. If you chose not to do that, then it's you're own fault that you are reading their post. Use the ignore feature, that is the greatest option added to a message board format ever.

The term troll has also taken off in the last couple of years and now fans that have conversed back and forth for nearly 20 years are calling each other trolls like they've never met the poster.

Talk about the stuff you want to discuss and don't worry about what other people are doing and this is a lot more enjoyable. There is always going to be criticism, that is a fundamental aspect of discussion. We will take care of the people that don't belong here but some of you consider that to be 90% of the site and make that task a lot harder.

I have to hope that many are just young and don’t remember the actual rate of success UK has had in it’s long, storied history. Yeah, titles and final fours came fairly rapidly in the span of 40s-50s (even I wasn’t around for those. :)) We had the rapid-fire success during Pitino’s latter years. And now Cal, who has raised the bar, if not in titles (yet), but certainly in recruiting and in most every other way.

So we’ve missed out on some very elite recruits the last few years. Things go in cycles. We still have had the first or second rated class. And we are finding out there has been even more influence from shoe companies than many of us have realized, with maybe more to come. That could explain a lot in the recruiting fluctuation.

I’m pretty confident Cal and UK will be fine. Enjoy what we have people, while we have it.

Well, it’s going to be sad when you’re gone.

tenor.gif

Reactions: crpoore
No bashing. Never have never will. But this is what the beginning of the end of Cal's era at UK feels like.

It began after the cheesehead loss in 15. Times change and the game has totally changed in just a few years. Cals pitch is old and archaic. Top kids have realized they're going to make it without him. Most don't care about winning and most certainly don't care about tradition. Those days are gone and probably for good. I glad Cal doesn't cheat and I hope he never learns their ways. It's hard to see us take a dip but totally understandable. Cal put the fear of God into college ball for a few years but I fear those days are leaving quickly. Can he reinvent himself? Of course he can. Will he? I don't think he's that kind of a guy. He's still very relevant but not where he was just a few years ago.

I have to hope that many are just young and don’t remember the actual rate of success UK has had in it’s long, storied history. Yeah, titles and final fours came fairly rapidly in the span of 40s-50s (even I wasn’t around for those. :)) We had the rapid-fire success during Pitino’s latter years. And now Cal, who has raised the bar, if not in titles (yet), but certainly in recruiting and in most every other way.

So we’ve missed out on some very elite recruits the last few years. Things go in cycles. We still have had the first or second rated class. And we are finding out there has been even more influence from shoe companies than many of us have realized, with maybe more to come. That could explain a lot in the recruiting fluctuation.

I’m pretty confident Cal and UK will be fine. Enjoy what we have people, while we have it.
I never understand the "well we've only won 8 titles in 80 years" or whatever. Since Cal has been at UK four programs have won MULTIPLE championships: Duke, UCONN, Nova, UNC. There's absolutely no reason UK should not have at least one more title. This is about being one of the top programs in the country and closing the deal.

Reactions: AF Cat

You should have seen it during the Tubby days. We’ve got a few moronic sad sacks that seize any opportunity to bash Cal. I like the sunshine pumper label. Beats the cow manure pumped in their posts. Bottom line. It’s the best time in recent memory. Cal is NOT going anywhere. They are crying because of unfounded and stupid hopes at the beginning of the year. Like a brat kid that didn’t get their way at Christmas. Basically, irrelevant.

It began after the cheesehead loss in 15. Times change and the game has totally changed in just a few years. Cals pitch is old and archaic. Top kids have realized they're going to make it without him. Most don't care about winning and most certainly don't care about tradition. Those days are gone and probably for good. I glad Cal doesn't cheat and I hope he never learns their ways. It's hard to see us take a dip but totally understandable. Cal put the fear of God into college ball for a few years but I fear those days are leaving quickly. Can he reinvent himself? Of course he can. Will he? I don't think he's that kind of a guy. He's still very relevant but not where he was just a few years ago.

Again, how is it an old and archaic system recruits better than every team in the sport save maybe one each year. Utter nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT