ADVERTISEMENT

This Board amazes me at times

Not sure I totally agree. I think the schedule next year is a wash compared to this year’s and yeah we went 7-5 but we also dropped some close games that could have been wins and not been a fluke or undeserved. Didn’t win any games we shouldn’t have save for the UL game maybe. UL was massively overrated and UK slightly underrated so feels like the right result in the end.

Florida—not sure how any team is “due” for anything. Three straight losses to UK is less indicative of a fluke and more so indication of one program being on a higher level than the other. I give UK the edge.

South Carolina—beaten us twice in a row, once where we had our back up playing and the other a game we chocked away. It’s at home and Rattler probably gone, so I’m inclined to give UK the edge.

Vanderbilt—unless Ray Davis suits up for them can’t see this as anything but a win.

Ole Miss—winnable game but tough. Probably a loss.

Auburn—winnable game at home but will be tough. Slightly more winnable compared to Ole Miss. Toss up.

Texas—Tennessee—Georgia—Hard to see any of these three as wins, but pretty much a wash compared to Georgia, UT, and Bama this year.

Louisville—home game against a likely good not great squad. Maybe they’ll be better next year, but then again they went 10-1 before our game and are in the ACC championship game. Any sort of improvement over that and you’re talking playoff and I just don’t see it.

UK lands the Miss State QB or similar caliber QB and I like next years team more so than this year’s if you keep the receivers and Walker. I view the schedule next year as the same degree of difficulty as this year’s. Lot of dominoes yet to fall though. Gotta keep the talent.
You could be right but I think it's going to be a huge challenge to equal 7 wins. We won't know for sure until all of the pieces fall in place and see who is coaching and playing for us along with all of our opponents.

Reactions: ConRay9
I don’t think that’s the question you ask when you are considering replacing a good employee. The answer for almost any employe will be there is someone out there who could do better. The question is is it reasonable to fire the employee based on the job the employee has done and if you do replace him or her, how likely are you to find a replacement who will do better. In college football, like I said before, there is almost always someone better, but the odds of identifying and hiring that person is low.
Ole Miss did. Missouri did.

It would be way easier for everyone to accept the fact that at UK the win range will be 7-9 max in regular season. Is Stoops perfect? No. Is he better than everyone we've had in 70 years? Yes.

Prove me wrong. Use something besides your opinion.
How many coaches in the last 70 years were spotted a 3-0 record, on a 12 game slate, to begin the season while getting the kinks worked out before the real 9 games were played. Stoops beats cupcakes, bad SEC teams (4-20 in SEC play this year), and about once every 2-3 seasons actually beats a good (not great) team like he did yesterday.

How many coaches in the last 70 years were spotted a 3-0 record, on a 12 game slate, to begin the season while getting the kinks worked out before the real 9 games were played. Stoops beats cupcakes, bad SEC teams (4-20 in SEC play this year), and about once every 2-3 seasons actually beats a good (not great) team like he did yesterday.

You tell me, I'm not going to go through 70 years of individual games.

He probably is no better than Brooks. Very similar records with Stoops winning 5 more games in 7 years to start. Brooks had no 12th game in 2 of those years. So that would bring it even closer (only 3 games difference). He also was dealing with probation for his first 2 years.

The SEC East was stronger in the Brooks years in my opinion. He also didn't have the support of the AD or the resources (recruiting room was a card table in the corner of the Nutter Center). If Brooks had been 10 years younger with the support we get now, he might have done even better and stayed a lot longer.

So I'd put those 2 at least on an equal level for their first 7 years with more challenges to overcome for Brooks. Brooks might get the tiebreaker though since he had a win over #1 LSU, who won the championship.

Brooks was 8 games under .500 at UK. Like the guy, but no, he wasn't better than Stoops.

I give Stoops credit for the improvements he has made. Major steps.

Why is it unthinkable to believe someone else could do better?

Nobody else has. Stoops has a pipeline to recruit kids most coaches cannot at UK. Wish I was wrong but I don't think I am. UK just is not a destination for football. We do not produce a ton of in state talent and we are surrounded by states that do which also have historically great programs- Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee, etc. Even Missouri and West Virginia have a better winning percentage than UK all time. Plus now competing with Louisville again for city kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doodah859
How many of those coaches were being paid like Stoops is being paid?

Did someone force Stoops to talk to the Aggies?

None. UK is paying to be slightly better than average. Sign of the times. If Stoops leaves and we hire Sumrall I'd bet you a dollar to a donut if he produced like Stoops he'd be getting the same money within 5 years. It is required to retain coaches now.

Look at Heupel. 7-6 year one with a $5M salary. He goes 11-2 year two and is bumped to $9.5M to avoid competition. Goes 8-4 this year. So in 2 years a coach with a 26-12 record doubled his salary.

Stoops took over a train wreck and has won 10 games at UK twice. That is something we haven't touched in 40 years. Of course UK would over pay to retain him. UK is a historically losing program in football...it is that simple. Take out the 3 yrs it took Stoops to totally rebuild the program from ground up he is 61-40 since year #4. He's won 60% of games...that is 13% better win percentage than UK all time.

We either keep Stoops and you kind of know what you get or roll the dice and see what happens. I don't care either way...this isn't a pro Stoops rant, just stating the facts. But the second we have success under another coach don't for one second think we won't overpay to keep that coach because we will.

UK will never be a top notch SEC football program. We just won't. We don't have the resources, don't produce the talent and don't have the history of 75%+ of the schools in conference. If we want to be a football powerhouse probably should switch conferences (I don't want to), because it isn't happening in SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crystalglass
Brooks was 8 games under .500 at UK. Like the guy, but no, he wasn't better than Stoops.
If you give him the extra 12th game in those 2 years it's down to 6. You also can't ignore that he was hit hard by probation from the Mumme years. He was short like 10 scholarship players over 2 years to go with already being down 9 players from the year before he got there. As bad as it was when Stoops got here, it was nothing compared to the probation. Stoops would have done no better in the same position. Plus it was a tougher schedule to deal with back then. By my count Brooks played 27 games against top 25 teams in 7 years to Stoops only playing 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBHolmesfan
if there is a silver lining in all this, I'm assuming Elko fails at A&M and Stoops will be highly motivated at Kentucky to prove himself just to show the haters wrong - in Texas and Kentucky

lol. If we have a coaching change for any reason right now we are in for a monumental rebuild. I think too many of your are high on hopium and low on common sense
There are a lot of teams that have had coaching changes and in first year made strides and improved their record. A lot of you are scared of your shadow lol.

You tell me, I'm not going to go through 70 years of individual games.
Don’t ask me to combat anything with facts and not my opinion then. Any UK football fan of any length of time would know the answer is zero. Don’t waste my time again!!!

Stoop has more 10 wins seasons in the past 7 years at UK than Texas A&M has as a program in the past 24 years. Just for everyone thinking 1) TAMU is too good for Stoops and 2) we need to let him go to find someone else to compete with the big boy programs like...Texas A&M?

Reactions: Rockfly78
Stoop has more 10 wins seasons in the past 7 years at UK than Texas A&M has as a program in the past 24 years. Just for everyone thinking 1) TAMU is too good for Stoops and 2) we need to let him go to find someone else to compete with the big boy programs like...Texas A&M?
would A&M be receptive to scheduling that lends itself to OOC wins?

Next year they start the season with ND

Now I’m as critical as anybody of CMS but the range of emotion on this board after knocking off a Top 10 team, albeit an overranked Louisville team but I don’t think folks realize how close we came to watching this entire program burn down last night. When a coach leaves, he takes most of his assistants with him. Now we would find a coach, no doubt, but it would destroy the recruiting class, there would be mass transfers and we would be looking at a minimum of 5 years until we made a bowl game.

Now I don’t know the facts or exactly what happened but I’d have to think the interest was real and so was the offer. I doubt the “fan revolt” down there had much to do with the decision. Maybe he rushed into the decision and after yesterday sat down with his family and they decided as a group that it wasn’t the right time.

We need to make some changes, it’s obvious there will be, but to burn it all down and start over? Who does that serve? We are an impatient fanbase, would we give the next guy the time he needs or be calling for his head year one? I’d rather fix what we have and keep going. From the comments I read here last night and this morning, it seems like a lot of us made comments without thinking them all the way through.

That’s my 2 cents. I’m happy that we still have our coach and some of the staff here. I’m happy we have a very nice recruiting class coming in. Let’s get back to celebrating beating Louisville, wrecking their season, knocking them out of the playoffs and continuing our dominance over the state.
"Burn down" what? It's like saying your old treehouse in the back yard burned down. So what?

We gave Stoops ELEVEN years and we're still going 7-5, 6-6. This is a VERY patient fanbase. Stop with the strawmen already.

Well, they were in the BigXII for half of that time period, so they have no excuse there.

The contention that our schedule of one Power 5 OOC opponent + 3 cupcakes is somehow different than basically every other SEC school is hilarious. Yes, some teams do schedule two Power 5 OOC games, but most don't (or, in the case of Georgia, they have a very weak annual P5 opponent and so add a more marquee opponent). Using that as ammo against Stoops is ridiculous and shows someone is either trying to make up reasons to want him gone or can't look at other teams' schedules

Reactions: JHB4UK
Well, they were in the BigXII for half of that time period, so they have no excuse there.

The contention that our schedule of one Power 5 OOC opponent + 3 cupcakes is somehow different than basically every other SEC school is hilarious. Yes, some teams do schedule two Power 5 OOC games, but most don't (or, in the case of Georgia, they have a very weak annual P5 opponent and so add a more marquee opponent). Using that as ammo against Stoops is ridiculous and shows someone is either trying to make up reasons to want him gone or can't look at other teams' schedules
I just looked at another teams schedule and gave an example

I don't think anyone believes UK will schedule a OOC game against a team like ND

"Burn down" what? It's like saying your old treehouse in the back yard burned down. So what?

We gave Stoops ELEVEN years and we're still going 7-5, 6-6. This is a VERY patient fanbase. Stop with the strawmen already.
Minus the COVID year, we haven't won fewer than 7 games since 2015. It's impossible to take the people who want Stoops gone seriously when they can't even go to wikipedia and look at his year-by-year coaching record.

We also have the same number of 10 win seasons in his 11 years as we had in the 63 before he got here. Odd to leave something like that out. And before you say, "That was 2 years ago!", you want to bring up records from 8 years ago to try and make your point

Reactions: Rockfly78
Yes brooks was great but he also wasn't the coach immediately preceding stoops which was my point. We were awful under joker. You don't have to go back to 1980 to find an awful year

That's a strawman. I said it's a roll of the dice and challenged posters to give me a name. Not bad one yet.

Ok give us a name we could get that would be successful

This is a strawman. See above.
It's NOT a strawman. OP said "burn down the program."

I just looked at another teams schedule and gave an example

I don't think anyone believes UK will schedule a OOC game against a team like ND
Yes, they will have one P5 OOC game. Just like us. ND is a name, but they got destroyed by UL this year. The same UL team that we had scheduled, and beat. TAMU is a much bigger name than us, their schedule is much more affected by the networks. UK vs ND does nothing for us, really, nothing for ND, and nothing for ESPN/NBC. TAMU vs ND moves the needle and gives both teams a resume boost even in a loss.

Reactions: JHB4UK

Oh hey look someone saying shit without doing a second of research so they look dumb

Some of you idiots are convinced UK is the only SEC team, or only Power 5 team who schedules 3 easy OOC games against group of 5 & 1-aa every year. UK and Stoops are the only ones, everybody else MANS UP!!!! and plays nothing but toughest competition!!!!

So let's check A&M OOC slate?
2023 - New Mexico, Miami (fl), UL Monroe, Abilene Christian
2022 - Sam Houston, Appalachian St, Miami (fl), UMass
2021 - Kent St, Colorado, New Mexico, Prarie View

WOW SO MUCH MORE DAUNTING THAN MURK STUUOPS SCHEDULING HIS WAY TO 6-6 MUZAC CITY BUWL!!!!

maybe one of these days you dumb shats will admit UK OOC scheduling is no different than even the superpowers of CFB.

Oh hey look someone saying shit without doing a second of research so they look dumb

Some of you idiots are convinced UK is the only SEC team, or only Power 5 team who schedules 3 easy OOC games against group of 5 & 1-aa every year. UK and Stoops are the only ones, everybody else MANS UP!!!! and plays nothing but toughest competition!!!!

So let's check A&M OOC slate?
2023 - New Mexico, Miami (fl), UL Monroe, Abilene Christian
2022 - Sam Houston, Appalachian St, Miami (fl), UMass
2021 - Kent St, Colorado, New Mexico, Prarie View

WOW SO MUCH MORE DAUNTING THAN MURK STUUOPS SCHEDULING HIS WAY TO 6-6 MUZAC CITY BUWL!!!!

maybe one of these days you dumb shats will admit UK OOC scheduling is no different than even the superpowers of CFB.
you seem very passionate about your position.

would UK schedule a team like ND in the OOC schedule?

its a yes or no question

Yes, they will have one P5 OOC game. Just like us. ND is a name, but they got destroyed by UL this year. The same UL team that we had scheduled, and beat. TAMU is a much bigger name than us, their schedule is much more affected by the networks. UK vs ND does nothing for us, really, nothing for ND, and nothing for ESPN/NBC. TAMU vs ND moves the needle and gives both teams a resume boost even in a loss.
UK would schedule UL if they were consistently 0-10 or 10-0, if they were Conference USA or Big 10, its not really debatable on their part

None of the guys you mentioned would come it at 9 mil. Why don’t people understand this? Stoops came in under a typical SEC contract. He’s been here 11 years. That’s 11 years of performance based raises and excellent agent-craft by the best agent in the game. That’s how he got to 9 mil. The next guy would have to be a huge name to command 9 off the bat.
Stoops has done nothing to be rewarded with 9 million nor is he a big name.

You are a nothing nobody who doesn't get to make those decisions or proclamations. The people who do, have decided it.

Such pathetic poor jealousy on here those who bemoan Stoops salary. Destitute failures who cant stand others sucess. It ain't coming out of your penny jar, it's ESPN's cash.

You are a nothing nobody who doesn't get to make those decisions or proclamations. The people who do, have decided it.

Such pathetic poor jealousy on here those who bemoan Stoops salary. Destitute failures who cant stand others sucess. It ain't coming out of your penny jar, it's ESPN's cash.
Ok. He’s still done nothing to earn 9 million

Now I’m as critical as anybody of CMS but the range of emotion on this board after knocking off a Top 10 team, albeit an overranked Louisville team but I don’t think folks realize how close we came to watching this entire program burn down last night. When a coach leaves, he takes most of his assistants with him. Now we would find a coach, no doubt, but it would destroy the recruiting class, there would be mass transfers and we would be looking at a minimum of 5 years until we made a bowl game.

Now I don’t know the facts or exactly what happened but I’d have to think the interest was real and so was the offer. I doubt the “fan revolt” down there had much to do with the decision. Maybe he rushed into the decision and after yesterday sat down with his family and they decided as a group that it wasn’t the right time.

We need to make some changes, it’s obvious there will be, but to burn it all down and start over? Who does that serve? We are an impatient fanbase, would we give the next guy the time he needs or be calling for his head year one? I’d rather fix what we have and keep going. From the comments I read here last night and this morning, it seems like a lot of us made comments without thinking them all the way through.

That’s my 2 cents. I’m happy that we still have our coach and some of the staff here. I’m happy we have a very nice recruiting class coming in. Let’s get back to celebrating beating Louisville, wrecking their season, knocking them out of the playoffs and continuing our dominance over the state.
Please don't to tell this to Jeff Brohm. 5 years my A$$. Stoops is not a top 25 coach, but is paid top 5-10 $$$$$. Name for me one player on u6 team that UK recruited. You forget we lost to Vandy last year, SC and SHANE BEAMER two years straight. After 11 years this should not be happening. By the way, Stoops is divorced so l doubt he discussed this either his ex. Imagine she could care less as long as those big alimony and CS checks keep rolling in.

Last edited:
Ole Miss did. Missouri did.
Missouri has had one good year. We have been the better program over most of the last several years. I wouldn't assume Drink is going to be their savoir until he has been there a while. Ole Miss has hired a good coach, but Florida, South Carolina, Vandy, Arkansas, Auburn, Miss State, have struggled to find the fight coach. Alabama, before Saben, struggled for years to find the right coach. Tennesse struggled for years to find the right coach. I'm not convinced they still have a great one. Texas has struggled for years. Nebraska used to be one of the top programs in the country. After losing their coach, they have never recovered. I could go on, but the point is that history proves that hiring a new coach is risky because it's difficult to identify and hire someone who is a sure thing. Most coaches don't succeed at a high level. It's foolish to fire a coach that has performed well on the hope you can find that miracle coach that is going to make UK into Georgia. It's an extremely high risk move.

I think the fanbase on the whole is sensible and reasonable. However the minority who wants a change just happen to be the loudest. They either 1) weren't around for uks massive struggles or 2) somehow forgot just how bad it was.

Everyone wants to do better but given all the circumstances, UK isn't going to do better than stoops and that's pretty much a fact.
Or some are just clueless like the lady who sits behind me during games yelling "Let's go Ooooooo let's do something!" when we are on defense. 🤦‍♂️🙄

Reactions: bigblueinsanity

I would be fine if stoops left, our program is not ascending it's regressing, sometimes change is needed. The job is better now than when Stoops found it, and that is a credit to him, but the thing to remember, Stoops is the one who tried to leave, are you surprised people reacted like they did? Think Stoops cared about the state of the program if TAMU had ponied up? At the end of the day, it's a college sport, sun will rise tomorrow if UK sucks again. Not saying I want that, but this fear or thought process that if Stoops leaves there is no way we can be good is really nonsense. Also, it's possible, fixing what we have is by bringing in new blood. I don't know, but I will say if a coach thinks about leaving and he clearly did, that only festers. He wanted to leave for a reason, regardless of what it was, he was out the door and that is what brought down the fanbase Saturday. Everyone was riding high until we started getting breaking news that Stoops was leaving.

This. OP says we maybe don't remember how much we've struggled in the past. Brother, I was there in the swamp, watching Bill Curry have Tim Couch run the option. I've seen the lowest of the lows. I know how much Stoops has done for UK. But there can be life after him.
There can just as easily be a return to failure. I'd certainly be hoping for the best but it is far from guaranteed.

Ok so you see we live in America. We have capitalism. I believe that no one is overpaid. If an individual can command their salary and someone agrees to pay it then they are getting what they are worth. I have no qualms with his salary. I do have qualms with losing to South Carolina tho

Reactions: Nuke99m
Nobody else has. Stoops has a pipeline to recruit kids most coaches cannot at UK. Wish I was wrong but I don't think I am. UK just is not a destination for football. We do not produce a ton of in state talent and we are surrounded by states that do which also have historically great programs- Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee, etc. Even Missouri and West Virginia have a better winning percentage than UK all time. Plus now competing with Louisville again for city kids.
That mentality is what got Stoops 9 mil a year. Barnhart loves folks who think that way. No pressure to win because we can't.

Reactions: JBHolmesfan
None. UK is paying to be slightly better than average. Sign of the times. If Stoops leaves and we hire Sumrall I'd bet you a dollar to a donut if he produced like Stoops he'd be getting the same money within 5 years. It is required to retain coaches now.

Look at Heupel. 7-6 year one with a $5M salary. He goes 11-2 year two and is bumped to $9.5M to avoid competition. Goes 8-4 this year. So in 2 years a coach with a 26-12 record doubled his salary.

Stoops took over a train wreck and has won 10 games at UK twice. That is something we haven't touched in 40 years. Of course UK would over pay to retain him. UK is a historically losing program in football...it is that simple. Take out the 3 yrs it took Stoops to totally rebuild the program from ground up he is 61-40 since year #4. He's won 60% of games...that is 13% better win percentage than UK all time.

We either keep Stoops and you kind of know what you get or roll the dice and see what happens. I don't care either way...this isn't a pro Stoops rant, just stating the facts. But the second we have success under another coach don't for one second think we won't overpay to keep that coach because we will.

UK will never be a top notch SEC football program. We just won't. We don't have the resources, don't produce the talent and don't have the history of 75%+ of the schools in conference. If we want to be a football powerhouse probably should switch conferences (I don't want to), because it isn't happening in SEC.
Losing mentality leads to accepting mediocre results. I refuse to see it that way.

If 7 or 8 wins is enough. Lower ticket prices. Quit asking NIL money. Stop complaining about the schedule. You've surrendered to the Barnhart mindset.

Missouri has had one good year. We have been the better program over most of the last several years. I wouldn't assume Drink is going to be their savoir until he has been there a while. Ole Miss has hired a good coach, but Florida, South Carolina, Vandy, Arkansas, Auburn, Miss State, have struggled to find the fight coach. Alabama, before Saben, struggled for years to find the right coach. Tennesse struggled for years to find the right coach. I'm not convinced they still have a great one. Texas has struggled for years. Nebraska used to be one of the top programs in the country. After losing their coach, they have never recovered. I could go on, but the point is that history proves that hiring a new coach is risky because it's difficult to identify and hire someone who is a sure thing. Most coaches don't succeed at a high level. It's foolish to fire a coach that has performed well on the hope you can find that miracle coach that is going to make UK into Georgia. It's an extremely high risk move.
Stoops is the one who was ready to leave. Nobody forced him out. He chose it. Guarantee he's still looking.

If 7 or 8 wins is enough. Lower ticket prices. Quit asking NIL money. Stop complaining about the schedule. You've surrendered to the Barnhart mindset.

Did you not see that I said I didn't care if Stoops stayed or went? No side from me here. I am just pointing out to the "Stoops sucks" camp that he doesn't suck in terms of our historical results.

I do think it is a major gamble to move on now. He has built something and has proven twice in past that he can achieve pretty strong results in SEC.

The next guy could be better, worse or the same....no clue. I am just of opinion UK football will never be what some folks want it to be. It takes decades to achieve the kind of prestige top level programs in SEC have. Who is the last cellar dweller program to achieve a strong level of success and sustain it?

Stoops is the one who was ready to leave. Nobody forced him out. He chose it. Guarantee he's still looking.
If he leaves, we will deal with it the best we can. I'm talking about the people who want him to leave or want UK to fire him. Wanting either of those scenarios to play out if foolish in my opinion.

Did you not see that I said I didn't care if Stoops stayed or went? No side from me here. I am just pointing out to the "Stoops sucks" camp that he doesn't suck in terms of our historical results.

I do think it is a major gamble to move on now. He has built something and has proven twice in past that he can achieve pretty strong results in SEC.

The next guy could be better, worse or the same....no clue. I am just of opinion UK football will never be what some folks want it to be. It takes decades to achieve the kind of prestige top level programs in SEC have. Who is the last cellar dweller program to achieve a strong level of success and sustain it?
Florida. They were nothing for years and years. Oregon. Miami. Clemson. Florida St.

These were not great programs in my youth and before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT