ADVERTISEMENT

SUNSHINE PUMPERS ONLY THREAD

cats2010

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
In light of yesterday’s whining thread about not enough positive content on the board, I thought I’d take the liberty to create your own thread that only you and other sunshine pumpers can participate in. Obviously I cannot control who post here but I encourage all negative posters (myself included) and those who affiliate with the CHC (cal haters club, also me :) ) to refrain from participating in this thread. We have so many others to choose from as it is so let’s let them have this one and see how long they can keep it going. The pumpers want to be able to discuss things without it turning into a cal bash/player bash, etc. here you go. It’s up to you now to keep it going. Seriously don’t be the first negative Nelly here, I want to see how long posters can keep a positive post going and to see how much positive there really is to talk about. Pumpers: She’s all yours!!!!!

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f3669367143552d3061704f7833513d3d2d3636333830393831372e313536653431656531656135656164383336393739303339303934302e676966

In light of yesterday’s whining thread about not enough positive content on the board, I thought I’d take the liberty to create your own thread that only you and other sunshine pumpers can participate in. Obviously I cannot control who post here but I encourage all negative posters (myself included) and those who affiliate with the CHC (cal haters club, also me :) ) to refrain from participating in this thread. We have so many others to choose from as it is so let’s let them have this one and see how long they can keep it going. The pumpers want to be able to discuss things without it turning into a cal bash/player bash, etc. here you go. It’s up to you now to keep it going. Seriously don’t be the first negative Nelly here, I want to see how long posters can keep a positive post going and to see how much positive there really is to talk about. Pumpers: She’s all yours!!!!!
So you really just felt the overwhelming need to stir shit up with a baiting thread.

Methinks your true purpose here is the opposite of what you say. Death to Calipari!
Here is a logical question, so please ignore....

Can I be happy with a win at Fayetteville and also be unhappy it was so close and even still upset with the defense and the way we played at South Carolina? OR must I belittle and defame any positive words that anyone posts here while I post an appropriate counter-post to make sure any idiot who is happy knows to be angry? I'm just making sure I'm clear on it. Don't want to get myself in trouble. :D

Last edited:
Way more annoying than any point of view positive/negative, pro/anti-Cal, is the obsession with talking not about the subject at hand, but constantly talking about the people who disagree with you. Well, that and al the damn bait.

Methinks your true purpose here is the opposite of what you say. Death to Calipari!

Can I be happy with a win at Fayetteville and also be unhappy it was so close and even still upset with the defense and the way we played at South Carolina? OR must I belittle and defame any positive words that anyone posts here while I post an appropriate counter-post to make sure any idiot who is happy knows to be angry? I'm just making sure I'm clear on it. Don't want to get myself in trouble. :D

My thing is, thoughts about the current state of the program are subjective, and you're never really gonna change anyone else's mind... But if some people are happy with everything UK basketball related, they can say it, and I promise I won't follow them in every thread to be outraged.

So, the Cal haters can spot a sunshine pumper a mile away. I'm sure I fit into that group according to some. I don't speak with enough anger and vitriol when his name comes up and I don't spit after I say his name or break into uncontrollable Tourette's profanities. Those who have grown to dislike (hate?) the man are very obvious. And those who praise his name or bow when it is spoken while proclaiming him the best coach in the history of the program are obvious as well.

So, here's my thought- can we avoid the extremes and try to be level-headed about it? Calipari isn't leaving this year. I think that is clear. Unless he decides to leave, he's gonna be here. So, my thought is that the reasonable approach, unless you plan to stop supporting UK, is to hope for the best for him. Criticize him, of course, when he should be criticized. The poor defense of this current team is an example. There is no reason this team, with the talent and athleticism they have, hasn't learned to defend better. I would even suggest (this has been a pet peeve of mine in recent games) that his substitution patterns are iffy and should be scrutinized. I've said it aloud during the last 2 games- he has too many options and too many players and he's too worried about getting everyone minutes instead of winning the game. I would say to get guys in the game and keep playing the guys who are getting it done. That may change from game to game. I get frustrated with him, because like many of you I am a huge UK fan all my life and I care about every detail. But here's the thing- I want him to do well. I want him to succeed. Because when he wins, UK wins. So, when credit is due, give credit. When the team wins, be happy. I know, it's a crazy thought!

You know that is clear as mud! I understand that feeling, glad we won, mad we scored 4 points in 11 minutes and made this game close. But, back to happy having the win. You understand now?

Welcome, brothers and sisters, to the Church of Cal. Let us give thanks and glory to the one who reigns most high. Come bow at the alter. ....and don't forget to slip something in the plate on your way out.
I have never been in a cult before but I’m willing to give it a shot. When is draft day? Cal is the greatest recruiter of all time.
And Jobu needs a refill!

So, the Cal haters can spot a sunshine pumper a mile away. I'm sure I fit into that group according to some. I don't speak with enough anger and vitriol when his name comes up and I don't spit after I say his name or break into uncontrollable Tourette's profanities. Those who have grown to dislike (hate?) the man are very obvious. And those who praise his name or bow when it is spoken while proclaiming him the best coach in the history of the program are obvious as well.

So, here's my thought- can we avoid the extremes and try to be level-headed about it? Calipari isn't leaving this year. I think that is clear. Unless he decides to leave, he's gonna be here. So, my thought is that the reasonable approach, unless you plan to stop supporting UK, is to hope for the best for him. Criticize him, of course, when he should be criticized. The poor defense of this current team is an example. There is no reason this team, with the talent and athleticism they have, hasn't learned to defend better. I would even suggest (this has been a pet peeve of mine in recent games) that his substitution patterns are iffy and should be scrutinized. I've said it aloud during the last 2 games- he has too many options and too many players and he's too worried about getting everyone minutes instead of winning the game. I would say to get guys in the game and keep playing the guys who are getting it done. That may change from game to game. I get frustrated with him, because like many of you I am a huge UK fan all my life and I care about every detail. But here's the thing- I want him to do well. I want him to succeed. Because when he wins, UK wins. So, when credit is due, give credit. When the team wins, be happy. I know, it's a crazy thought!
Ditto. Miss your pre-game reports.

Ditto. Miss your pre-game reports.
Thanks storm. I've thought about doing them again. I enjoy it. If nothing else, it gives me a reason to study the opposing teams and know what to expect. But I had a pretty negative experience with those scouting reports with a poster who accused me of passing myself off as some kind of expert, which I've never claimed- just a UK fan like the rest who just happens to be a bit of a nerd. 🤓 I guess he got what he wanted- which was me stopping making those reports.

Great post. The majority of UK fans align with your thoughts on Cal.

UK fan first. Hoping Cal has some sort of epiphany and gets us back to FF with a chance to win another championship.

Thanks storm. I've thought about doing them again. I enjoy it. If nothing else, it gives me a reason to study the opposing teams and know what to expect. But I had a pretty negative experience with those scouting reports with a poster who accused me of passing myself off as some kind of expert, which I've never claimed- just a UK fan like the rest who just happens to be a bit of a nerd. 🤓 I guess he got what he wanted- which was me stopping making those reports.
I was hoping you were able to send them to the managers to give to the players. They need someone to let them know who is right or left handed and who drives and who shoots. I actually enjoyed your expertise.

... downright indefensible perspective, IMO. When did level-headed and fair-minded thinking ever become a "thing" around here. 😉 I really can't find anything in your post that I disagree with ... at all. All the things you say concern you ... also, concern me as well and to varying degrees, I would say concern most everyone. The extent any one individual is willing to voice those concerns is, I believe, where we are, as fans currently. Regardless ... it's what's best for the Program in the end, because it works to keep those in power grounded, where they need to be. Fans may squabble and quarrel amongst themselves, but we all want the same thing in spite of each of us "seeing" a different approach to the same end. I don't hate Cal, like many like to spew ... I don't hate anyone. As a fan, Cal drives me crazy sometimes and since he is our coach, I hope UK can do well under his tutelage, but there are concerns because of confusing priorities from Cal, and the result that we see play out year after year on the court. That said, I truly hope he will right the ship and make UK Basketball something to get excited about again, because priorities are placed where they should be ... PROGRAM FIRST. This is just my opinion based on what I see and is not intended to denigrate the opinions of others, in any way.

I stumbled across something last year. This site is flooded with phony accounts started by people employed by UKAA to make anyone critical of the decline in our program to look like an outlier and to steer conversations away from criticism of Cal and Mitch. One of these people is a moderator on this site. I've been banned several times for outing this info, but I don't really care. I'll keep making more accounts just like the UKAA employees who flood this site. Just be aware of who you think you're talking to. Because they're probably getting paid for screwing with this board.
Interesting ... appreciate you posting it. As long as fans have a discerning mind willing to think independently, those tactics always fail. Truth is largely self-evident, but the lie requires a great deal of work and energy to keep the truth hidden.

I stumbled across something last year. This site is flooded with phony accounts started by people employed by UKAA to make anyone critical of the decline in our program to look like an outlier and to steer conversations away from criticism of Cal and Mitch. One of these people is a moderator on this site. I've been banned several times for outing this info, but I don't really care. I'll keep making more accounts just like the UKAA employees who flood this site. Just be aware of who you think you're talking to. Because they're probably getting paid for screwing with this board.
Seems a little weird that University of Kentucky Athletics would be so worried about a couple of thousand 40-60 year old dudes hating Cal that the would do something so idiotic. Can’t see this as being true. Maybe there is a mod who just either despises you so much, or loves Cal so much, that he/she is willing to be stupid.

I'm glad you asked first; I'd have banned you in a heartbeat if you hadn't.

• Haha
Reactions: IL Wildcat

unless you have proof, this is just another baseless conspiracy.

I just think OP likes to live in a perpetual state of anger and takes the success of the University of Kentucky men’s basketball program incredibly personally.

To each his own. My thing is I won’t bitch about conference road wins. Win by 100. Win by 1. Don’t care. I will gripe about losses but try not to attack players or coaches personally while offering legitimate criticism. I will not gripe about players/coaches/losses redundantly in every thread, especially if the thread isn’t even about UK.

As I said previously, if any of my hobbies or entertainment options made me this mad, I’d probably just do something else. I don’t play. I don’t coach. I have zero control over the situation, so my bitching is simply that. It took me a long time living to learn to not worry about things I can’t control.

Again, I’m indifferent to Cal because I have no control over if he stays or goes. If he leaves tomorrow, fine. Won’t cry. If he stays another 5 years, fine. I don’t sign his checks.Personally I think his tenure has run its course, but, I don’t make the call. That said, even if we go 0-31 next season with Cal at the helm or a new coach, it would suck but it won’t be a real problem in my actual life.

sign language bullshit GIF

Alright I'll play! I'm a self-proclaimed pumper after all. Optimism is my middle name... doesn't mean I can't see some short-comings this team needs to overcome. However, let's get it! Take care of business against Florida and eek out a big win against Tennessee and I think we start to get on a roll. 15-4 becomes 20-4 heading into a road game with Auburn. Should be ranked at least #6 or #7 at that point (if not higher!). Could see a loss at Auburn and at Tennessee, but I see no reason why we can't start to really become a scary team throughout Feb/early March. I say this team is sitting at 25-6 at the end of the regular season. Let's make it 28-6 after winning the SEC Tourney in Nashville, and we're either the last #1 seed or the top #2 seed. Best time of year, baby! It all starts with two big wins this week!

Reactions: Taiza
I just think OP likes to live in a perpetual state of anger and takes the success of the University of Kentucky men’s basketball program incredibly personally.

To each his own. My thing is I won’t bitch about conference road wins. Win by 100. Win by 1. Don’t care. I will gripe about losses but try not to attack players or coaches personally while offering legitimate criticism. I will not gripe about players/coaches/losses redundantly in every thread, especially if the thread isn’t even about UK.

As I said previously, if any of my hobbies or entertainment options made me this mad, I’d probably just do something else. I don’t play. I don’t coach. I have zero control over the situation, so my bitching is simply that. It took me a long time living to learn to not worry about things I can’t control.

Again, I’m indifferent to Cal because I have no control over if he stays or goes. If he leaves tomorrow, fine. Won’t cry. If he stays another 5 years, fine. I don’t sign his checks.Personally I think his tenure has run its course, but, I don’t make the call. That said, even if we go 0-31 next season with Cal at the helm or a new coach, it would suck but it won’t be a real problem in my actual life.
Interesting take since none of that is true. Have been a UK fan my whole life dating back to 78 and their first championship in my lifetime (then 10 years old). A small minority of my post are made in anger or even with an angry tone and I love to see UK succeed in both football and basketball. Don’t really care about any of the other sports. Life goes on after a win or a loss, I don’t lose sleep but I do enjoy coming on here and chatting with other UK fans about the good, the bad, and the ugly. I don’t attack players personally either. Everything I say is related to their game, think I’ve stated many times on here how I think Edwards is a great kid but just not getting it going for whatever reason and for that reason he has no business playing the minutes he has (as an example). Most of my criticism of cal has also been coaching related but have probably gone personal a few times as I really just don’t like him at this stage. Mostly due to coaching but there have been some things make me not like him as a person as well.

Made this OP more in jest than anything as nothing will ever remain 100% positive or negative. In just about every win there is negatives that can be talked about just as there are positives that can be talked about in every loss.

Alright I'll play! I'm a self-proclaimed pumper after all. Optimism is my middle name... doesn't mean I can't see some short-comings this team needs to overcome. However, let's get it! Take care of business against Florida and eek out a big win against Tennessee and I think we start to get on a roll. 15-4 becomes 20-4 heading into a road game with Auburn. Should be ranked at least #6 or #7 at that point (if not higher!). Could see a loss at Auburn and at Tennessee, but I see no reason why we can't start to really become a scary team throughout Feb/early March. I say this team is sitting at 25-6 at the end of the regular season. Let's make it 28-6 after winning the SEC Tourney in Nashville, and we're either the last #1 seed or the top #2 seed. Best time of year, baby! It all starts with two big wins this week!
I hope you're right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT